Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Homless Person Killed - National Trend?

Homless Person Killed - National Trend?
mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Feb 20, 2007, 12:54 PM

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/02/19/hom...cks/index.html

Obviously the two kids that killed the homeless person should receive exactly what they are getting (long jail sentences), but what justifies a "national trend."

CNN's first bullet is "Number of attacks on homeless at highest level in almost a decade" How could anyone know that?

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 20, 2007, 01:03 PM

From not far down in the article;

A National Coalition for the Homeless report says last year, there were 122 attacks and 20 murders against the homeless, the most attacks in nearly a decade.

I suppose it would also be able to garner this info from police reports, etc. Unfortunately, it may be more cases reported than before, but it is still disturbing, and it doesn't surprise me. The U. S. has evolved into a very narcissistic society, where we have little concern for others.

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 20, 2007, 01:11 PM

There was nothing I hated more than to see a filthy old drunkie, a-howling away at the filthy songs of his fathers and going blurp blurp in between as if it were a filthy old orchestra in his stinking rotten guts. I could never stand to see anyone like that, especially when they were old like this one was.

</clockwork orange>
( Last edited by Demonhood; Feb 20, 2007 at 07:02 PM. )

I GOT WASTED WITH PHIL SHERRY!!!

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 20, 2007, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by G4ME View Post
There was nothing I hated more than to see a filthy old drunkie, a-howling away at the filthy songs of his fathers and going blurp blurp in between as if it were a filthy old orchestra in his stinking rotten guts. I could never stand to see anyone like that, especially when they were old like this one was.
Aye, Brother.

mitchell_pgh  (op)
Posting Junkie
Feb 20, 2007, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by KarlG View Post
From not far down in the article;

A National Coalition for the Homeless report says last year, there were 122 attacks and 20 murders against the homeless, the most attacks in nearly a decade.

I suppose it would also be able to garner this info from police reports, etc. Unfortunately, it may be more cases reported than before, but it is still disturbing, and it doesn't surprise me. The U. S. has evolved into a very narcissistic society, where we have little concern for others.
The National Coalition for the Homeless has only been operating for ~22 years. I'm guessing they went back a few decades?

I guess I'm simply growing tired of the sensationalizing of the news these days. 20 killed people is horrible but makes up about .12% of all murder. You could make a good case that iPods kill more people.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 20, 2007, 08:18 PM

Looks like the censors removed our little spat!

Tenacious Dyl
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 20, 2007, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by mitchell_pgh View Post
I guess I'm simply growing tired of the sensationalizing of the news these days. 20 killed people is horrible but makes up about .12% of all murder. You could make a good case that iPods kill more people.
I'll agree with you on the sensationalizing point, but the iPods point pushed this. Sure, a good number of people die every year in stupid ways.

People that intentionally beat and kill homeless people are obviously a bit rageful and not the type of people you want to ignore. On the other hand, someone listening to loud music and not paying attention who gets their butt ran over by a car / train they didn't see... not quite as big of a societal problem.

I doubt there is some army of homeless killers, but the fact that more homeless people are being attacked and murdered than before is at least something worth mentioning. While I know that we can't really do much to keep things like this from happening, I wouldn't glaze over the beating and killing of the homeless with a line like "well iPods kill more people".
yep.

Kevin
Baninated
Feb 21, 2007, 08:00 AM

The world has evolved into a very narcissistic society, where we have little concern for others.
Fixed.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 21, 2007, 11:08 AM

Looks like the censors removed our little spat!
Hmm... we could turn this thread into our own little private Groundhog Day.

Forum Links
Forum Rules