Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Vodka Thread

Vodka Thread
mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jul 12, 2007, 04:52 PM

I'm headed to a local Russian restaurant and they have a great vodka selection. I'm a traditionalist, but was wondering if some of you could make some recommendations. I get to pick 6 to sample from the list below.

Thoughts?

Russia
Gzhelka
Imperia
Jewel Of Russia Berry
Jewel Of Russia Classic
Jewel Of Russia Ultra
Jewel Of Russia WildBerry
Kutskova
Pshenychna
RUS Bogorodskaya
Stolichnaya
Stolichnaya Blueberry
Stolichnaya Elite
Stolichnaya Gold
Stolichnaya Orange
Stolichnaya Raspberry
Stolichnaya Vanil
Putinka
Putinka "Limited Edition"
Putinka "Pepper"
Russian Garant "Cranberry"
Russian Garant "Ginseng"
Russian Garant "Horseradish"
Russian Garant "Pepper-Garlic"
Russian Garant "Pickle-Garlic"
Russian Garant "Premium"
Russian Standard
Russian White Gold

Lithuania
"999"
Starka
Lithuanian Original
Lithuanian Gold
Lithuanian "Cranberry"
Lithuanian "Raspberry"

USA
Blue Ice
Smirnoff No.21 USA

Moldova
Spyke
Back in USSR
Volk

Ukraine
Khortytsa "Classic"
Khortytsa "Honey Pepper"
Khortytsa "Platinum"
Khortytsa "Silver"
Luga-Nova First Collection
Luga-Nova Cinnamon
Luga-Nova Nutmeg
Mernaya "On Milk"
Mernaya "Rowanberry"
Mernaya "Business Class "
Mernaya "100 Proof"
Mernaya "Honey Pepper"
Mernaya "Platinum"
Zhitomirska

Sweden
Absolut
Absolut Citron
Absolut Mandarin
Absolut Vanilia

France
Ciroc
Grey Goose
Grey Goose Citron
Grey Goose Orange
Grey Goose Pear
Idol
Winter Palace

Iceland
Reyka

New Zealand
42 Below

Kazakhstan
Snow Queen

Estonia
The Tall Blond
Turi

Poland
Alchemy "Chocolate"
Alchemy "Ginger"
Alchemy "Wild Cherry"
Belvedere
Chopin
Debowa
Jazz
Kapitanska
Luksusowa
Pravda
Ultimat
Zubrowka

England
Three Olives

Ireland
Boru

Scotland
Brilliant

Holland
Ketel One
Van Gogh
VOX

Armenia
Pomegranate

Swiss
Xellent

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Jul 12, 2007, 05:00 PM

Try Reyka, it is very dry and very pure.

V
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Jul 12, 2007, 06:06 PM

I really don't drink much Vodka because its never been something I liked but I have to ask you people who do, considering that
In the United States vodka is required by law to be odorless, tasteless and colorless how do you explain the preference for one brand over others?

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

design219
Professional Poster
Jul 12, 2007, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
In the United States vodka is required by law to be odorless, tasteless and colorless
This is why Democrats exist. Facts.

The story doesn't say that at all. It's a quote by a guy who says:

...the U.S. government's definition of vodka, said DeGroff, is: "Tasteless, odorless, colorless ... You are buying the bottle. You're buying the sexiness. You're buying the whole package.

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.
Was free. Now it's gone. Never to be seen again.
Off to join its brother and sister apps that could not
keep up with the ever updating iOS. RIP Nesen Probe.

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Jul 12, 2007, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by design219 View Post

...the U.S. government's definition of vodka, said DeGroff, is: "Tasteless, odorless, colorless ... You are buying the bottle. You're buying the sexiness. You're buying the whole package.
So I can make you look like the idiot you are?

I was stating a fact genius. I wasn't citing it. The article was a related story and its written at a 6th grade level so you should be able to understand how it pertains to what I brought up.
I know the law. But since dumbing it down for people like you to further the discussion sent you on a tangent then here you go:

Vodka: Neutral spirits distilled or treated after distillation with charcoal or other materials so as to be without distinctive character, aroma, taste or color

Code of Federal Regulations and public laws relating to the distilled spirits industry

NobleMatt
formerly crazyreaper
Senior User
Jul 12, 2007, 07:20 PM

Vodka, England, Whatever u can lay your hands on, Tesco Value

design219
Professional Poster
Jul 12, 2007, 07:28 PM

Touche.

But still, you don't have to come across as such a jerk. That is so republican.

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Jul 12, 2007, 08:29 PM

So, then is selling something outside of those definitions illegal? What about all of those wine based margaritas sold by restaurants that don't have a full liquor license? They taste like ass and it'd be fine by me if it were illegal to call it a margarita (that document specifically says tequila).

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Jul 12, 2007, 08:30 PM

Stoli Vanil is pretty good

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Jul 12, 2007, 08:50 PM

Regardless of what the law says, there are definitely different flavors to different vodkas. Different distillation procedures and different ingredients will lead to different impurities in the vodka (it's not just ethanol and water). I, personally, prefer the traditional potato vodka to a grain vodka. Although I did once have a very good vodka made from sugar cane (I believe it was Israeli).

Of the ones I've tried on that list, my favorite is Chopin, a Polish potato vodka. Belvedere is the same vodka made with grain instead of potato if that's what you prefer.

But if you're going to be ordering an expensive vodka, you better be drinking it straight. Fine vodka is meant to be served neat and chilled. You should sip it, not shoot it. A good vodka will taste like water with just a hint of alcohol, and maybe a few other subtle flavors depending on how it was prepared. If you're going to mix it go with some cheap Smirnoff or something.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Jul 12, 2007, 08:53 PM

I really don't drink much Vodka because its never been something I liked but I have to ask you people who do, considering that
In the United States vodka is required by law to be odorless, tasteless and colorless how do you explain the preference for one brand over others?
I don't like vodka much, but there is a lot of difference between brands. It is all about how it is distilled and filtered and what it is made of.

Obviously it is more or less without flavor, scent or whatever. Yet, there is always some retained.

Reyka, for instance, is very dry and almost completely scent and flavor free, while Stolichnaya retains a hint of sweetness and ample smoothness. Finlandia is again rough around the edges and dry while Absolut is dry with a scent of ethanol mixed with some sweetness.

So, Captain Obvious, go ahead and try the different brands if you are curious, but there is certainly much difference between the brands of vodka available in the world.

Obviously, Captain, the world does not begin, end or revolve around some arbitrary US legislation so vodka from around the world is certainly not about to be expected to taste the way a US committee would prefer it to.

V

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Jul 12, 2007, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by voodoo View Post
Obviously, Captain, the world does not begin, end or revolve around some arbitrary US legislation so vodka from around the world is certainly not about to be expected to taste the way a US committee would prefer it to.

V
It doesn't seem quite so arbitrary. It seems like an almost universally accepted standard definition for what constitutes genuine vodka by most alcohol regulation bodies around the world. The US law seems to only go as far back as the mid twentieth century. I assume the countries with the greatest production facilities have even more stringent standards dating back farther.
http://www.european-vodka-alliance.o...word_vodka.htm

Nevertheless, I still question how much discernible difference there is between brands and how much of it is just perceived. As I said, I don't drink it often since its just not my thing, but there has never appeared to be as notable a difference between brands as you'd find of other alcohols like scotch. And I am talking strictly of plain vodka not that flavored vanilla crap they make for chicks.

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Jul 12, 2007, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by wallinbl View Post
So, then is selling something outside of those definitions illegal? What about all of those wine based margaritas sold by restaurants that don't have a full liquor license? They taste like ass and it'd be fine by me if it were illegal to call it a margarita (that document specifically says tequila).
Its a regulation and labeling law. You can't make chicken nuggets from pork and call it 100% farm raised chicken. In the same way you can''t make a spirit that doesn't fit that standard and call in vodka in the US..

I have never seen such a drink but this law pertains to manufacturing and production. If you mix a drink in a bar or establishment from products you bought that pass FDA and ATF inspections and call it a Margarita the same laws don't apply.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Jul 12, 2007, 09:53 PM

Well, there is a difference between vodkas, Captain Obvious. It's subtle, so you'd have to drink it to know.

As I said, if you really want to know, then that's the way to go. Vodka is 99.9% odor and flavor-less, but still there is a difference that is made in that 0.01%.

Some are a little sweeter, some a little drier, some with more odor, some with less or none. For obvious examples try Koskenkorva and Reyka and compare them. Both are vodka, yet there is noticable difference in flavor and odor.

V

macfantn
Mac Elite
Jul 12, 2007, 10:07 PM

some of my favorites are tito's and hangar one, sadly they aren't on your list.
"I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin', and hook up with them later"

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 12, 2007, 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by design219 View Post

Leave the stupid Democrat/Republican commetns in the political lounge where they belong. Dragging your petty political disputes (and they are all petty, regardless of which side of the fence they are coming from) into other forums isn't going to fly.

So I can make you look like the idiot you are?

I was stating a fact genius. I wasn't citing it. The article was a related story and its written at a 6th grade level so you should be able to understand how it pertains to what I brought up.
I know the law. But since dumbing it down for people like you to further the discussion sent you on a tangent then here you go:

Vodka: Neutral spirits distilled or treated after distillation with charcoal or other materials so as to be without distinctive character, aroma, taste or color

Code of Federal Regulations and public laws relating to the distilled spirits industry
Don't take the bait, and don't try and one up stupid commetns. If you want to call names, well don't. What's the point? If you just can't let it go, ream him via PM.

Related to the topic, I was just reading that a couple of local orchards have been licensed to make vodka from apples. I'd never heard of this before I read it in the paper. Any one ever had such a thing?
Nemo me impune lacesset

CMYKid
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 12, 2007, 10:29 PM

Ditch the majority of those and drink the Ciroc (distilled from snap-frozen grapes) and the Brilliant.

Stoli Elit if they have it as a back up. Thors Hammer if by some stroke of luck they carry that.

design219
Professional Poster
Jul 12, 2007, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by ThinkInsane View Post
Leave the stupid Democrat/Republican commetns in the political lounge where they belong.
You are correct. But his signature is political, and his attitude as about most subjects is snotty.

λόγος
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 13, 2007, 01:28 AM

I like prison liquor the best. Take some fruit juice, pop in some yeast tablets, put it behind a radiator or in the sun for 2-3 days and you got some great alcohol. And it's cheap too.

HackManDan
Forum Regular
Jul 13, 2007, 02:11 AM

SKYY Vodka

'nuff said.

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 13, 2007, 02:39 AM

ice

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 13, 2007, 10:44 AM

Grey Goose, Belvedere, and Chopin are all excellent vodkas. They're smooth with almost no alchoholic "burn" to them, and go excellent with just about any other liquor. I don't drink vodka straight - I'm not quite that hardcore (yet...) - but it mixes great with juices, liqueres, and liquors. Have em mix a couple shots of vodka with a shot of Bailey's and a shot of Kahlua - it's a damn good drink.

I'm also partial to Stolichnaya vodkas. Stoli costs substantially less than the top-shelf brands and is still very good quality. Absolut and Smirnoff are crap IMO.

I don't want to come off as a vodka snob - that's not it at all. I do drink it more than other hard liquors (when I drink at all), so I have figured out the differences between brands.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

badidea
Professional Poster
Jul 13, 2007, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by mitchell_pgh View Post
Russia
Russian Standard

A russian taxi driver recommended it to me - it's really good!

ink
Mac Elite
Jul 13, 2007, 10:53 AM

Tasty stuff.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Jul 13, 2007, 11:00 AM

For some reason Ketel One tastes really nasty to me. I know a lot of people that love it, but I just can't stand the stuff.

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 13, 2007, 11:35 AM

shifuiman and nonhuman. I agree with whatchy'all say.
ice

pooka
Mac Elite
Jul 13, 2007, 11:57 AM

No one has touched on one of the biggest differences between the large selection of vodkas - The size of the hangover you're going to have the next day.

BTW, Stoli Elite is some good ****.

New, Improved and Legal in 50 States

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Jul 13, 2007, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by pooka View Post
No one has touched on one of the biggest differences between the large selection of vodkas - The size of the hangover you're going to have the next day.

BTW, Stoli Elite is some good ****.
I've never once gotten a hangover from drinking vodka. And believe me, it's not for lack of quantity consumed.

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 13, 2007, 12:18 PM

the van goh flavors are stellar, don't hate.

I've been SERIOUSLY DIGGING the Double Espresso(and regular espresso flavor) Vodka for a lil bit now.

On the rocks, or with some baileys or frangelico. Orrrr with a frappucino in a pinch!

Get Some!
ice

Kevin
Baninated
Jul 13, 2007, 12:32 PM

I have acid reflux. Pretty much any alcohol is a no no for me.

No fun.

On the plus side, I'm not an alcoholic.

Railroader
Banned
Jul 13, 2007, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by nonhuman View Post
I've never once gotten a hangover from drinking vodka. And believe me, it's not for lack of quantity consumed.
One of the most amazing and inebriated nights I ever spent binge drinking was on vodka (all various kinds, the family owned a few liquor stores) at a Russian-Jewish wedding in Toronto. All of the Russians thought I was Russian and kept encouraging me to do "wadka" with them. I have no idea how much I drank. Well over a liter and closer to two+ liters along with a large number of beers. I woke up the next day as if nothing had happened. It was unreal.

That's not to say vodka is a guarantee no-hangover event, I had a three day hangover from a 1/5 of Absolute once.

YMMV.

badidea
Professional Poster
Jul 13, 2007, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
Well over a liter and closer to two+ liters along with a large number of beers. I woke up the next day as if nothing had happened. It was unreal.
That's hardcore and weird! (even though I'd also say that vodka -if you stick with it- doesn't give you an hangover...I'm drinking russian standard right now...)

That's not to say vodka is a guarantee no-hangover event, I had a three day hangover from a 1/5 of Absolute once.

YMMV.
That's even weirder!

mitchell_pgh  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jul 13, 2007, 05:28 PM

Some amazing selections here. I'm going to select four and let the waiter/waitress recommend a few others.

I'll keep you all posted. Mmmmm... good Vodka. When I was in Russia earlier this year, I was given a PINT GLASS of vodka at this one dive in St. Petersburg. So good...

pooka
Mac Elite
Jul 13, 2007, 06:57 PM

Man, I've had my odd binge or two that resulted in me feeling a-ok the next day, but man, you guys must have never truly slammed back some cheap-ass **** before. I'm not saying I was throwing up or contemplating suicide from a massive headache.... Just that certain higher end vodkas tend to leave you feeling closer to fine and dandy after a short nap.

Maybe my daily intake of 350ml or so gives me a slightly different perspective. *shrugs*

New, Improved and Legal in 50 States

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Jul 13, 2007, 07:59 PM

Just that certain higher end vodkas tend to leave you feeling closer to fine and dandy after a short nap.
lower levels of methanol

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Jul 13, 2007, 08:06 PM

Man, I've had my odd binge or two that resulted in me feeling a-ok the next day, but man, you guys must have never truly slammed back some cheap-ass **** before. I'm not saying I was throwing up or contemplating suicide from a massive headache.... Just that certain higher end vodkas tend to leave you feeling closer to fine and dandy after a short nap.

Maybe my daily intake of 350ml or so gives me a slightly different perspective. *shrugs*
I give your perspective

Myself, I gain my perspective from Ribera del Duero and Toro. Ah

(vodka when the occation allows)

V

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 13, 2007, 08:19 PM

In my life, as far as I could control, I've only consumed quality vodka. That goes for all alcohol too. No time for hangovers when you're eating two hot dogs with ketchup and mustard AND a slice of pizza at 4.30am... cause there's gonna be heartburn to deal with.
ice

Forum Links
Forum Rules