Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Modern Warfare 2 thread

Modern Warfare 2 thread (Page 8)
The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 6, 2009, 04:25 PM

Stogieman  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 6, 2009, 05:11 PM

I'll checkout the link when I get home. I don't have access to youtube at work.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 6, 2009, 05:13 PM

I sometimes do.

klb5090
Mac Elite
Nov 6, 2009, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
awesome sauce,

tuesday...tuesday...

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 7, 2009, 06:18 AM

I think I still see a little bit of forum on the left corner of my monitor. Can you upload an even bigger pic, pls?
Sorry, in Firefox it resizes. I'll try to change it.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 7, 2009, 06:42 AM

Orgasmic.

Lots of points to be had. Hope that climbing the levels isn't too easy now.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 9, 2009, 04:58 AM

I know about 20 people (from my PC gaming clan days) that have cancelled MW2. They have said that they will obtain the game through other channels. In the future, they are going to be playing Battlefield: Bad Company 2 - when it comes out. Must say that it does look impressive.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 9, 2009, 09:54 AM

Well, it seems that I can pick it up tonight. Just had a phone call.

Yum, yum.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Nov 9, 2009, 01:54 PM

Bastard, mattyb is playing right now.

Stogieman  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 9, 2009, 03:23 PM

WTF? How did he get it so early? It pisses me off that I have to wait another 12.5 hours.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 9, 2009, 03:26 PM

Stores haven't been strictly adhering to the street date, it seems.

Stogieman  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 9, 2009, 06:19 PM

It seems awfully dead in here. It must be the quiet before the storm.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 9, 2009, 06:26 PM

Pretty much. Not much point to me posting anymore info here, at least til we can try said info ourselves.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 9, 2009, 06:30 PM

Only played multi so far, first impressions.

CoD fans will love it. Well maybe. It seems more like a very large patch than another game. CoD2 to CoD4 was a giant leap. MW to MW2 not so much. Yeah new weapons, new maps (lots of details, favela is really good with all the alleys), and you can kill the chickens.

The care package is good mixing ammo, or a predator missle or an AC-130, the points add up quickly but you need loads of points to rank up. Matchmaking takes longer, but (so far) I've had good performance in game ping wise.

Seems like I'm not alone in getting it early, loads of people on, Spaniards, Froggies, Greeks Germans etc.

You guys will love it. Right, got to get back to MW2 now

Stogieman  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 9, 2009, 06:30 PM

Nevermind.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 9, 2009, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
Matchmaking takes longer, but (so far)
No ****. There's about 5 million people who still haven't picked up their copy yet. And god knows how many of the people lucky nough to get it earlier are doing SP.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 9, 2009, 08:19 PM

All of the Gamestops in my area (New York City) are selling it early if you have a preorder. I went into a Gamestop tonight and asked if I could buy it without a preorder and the salesman said he'd ring it up as if I was paying full price when I preordered.

I'll play a little later tonight and see how it is.

klb5090
Mac Elite
Nov 9, 2009, 10:02 PM

Looks like i'll be picking up my preorder on Wednesday, Can we schedule a tentative meet up for Friday night? I'm actually off work the entire day (how i don't know) and plan on wasting my entire 24 hours on xbox live.

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 9, 2009, 11:13 PM

Yeah, I was going to wait till tomorrow to get it, but **** it. I'm gonna pick it up later tonight.

Rumor
Nov 10, 2009, 02:10 AM

Looks like I will have my copy tomorrow after I get home. Friday may be doable, but with class at 8 am on Saturday, I wouldn't hold my breath.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Nov 10, 2009, 02:21 AM

Friday is good for me. Or Wednesday. Or Thursday. Or Saturday. I won't be able to play it before Wednesday though, sadly. I'm kind of pissed.

Stogieman  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 10, 2009, 03:38 AM

Damn! There must be at least 200 hundred people ahead of me at my local GameStop. This game is going to break all sales records.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 10, 2009, 03:53 AM

No ****. There's about 5 million people who still haven't picked up their copy yet. And god knows how many of the people lucky nough to get it earlier are doing SP.
In my experience (only a couple of hours worth granted), when playing CoD4 or CoD:WaW on Team Deathmatch and there are ~10,000 people playing it online, matchmaking is quicker than playing CoD:MW2 on Team Deathmatch and there are ~15,000 people playing it online.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 10, 2009, 11:47 AM

In my experience (only a couple of hours worth granted), when playing CoD4 or CoD:WaW on Team Deathmatch and there are ~10,000 people playing it online, matchmaking is quicker than playing CoD:MW2 on Team Deathmatch and there are ~15,000 people playing it online.
*sticks fingers in ears* LA LA LA I CAN'T HEAR YOU

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 10, 2009, 11:48 AM

My buddy should be picking ours up from Wal•MArt around lunchtime.

Also, here is an awesome vid: YouTube - CoD MW2: Fun with the Tactical Shield HD

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Nov 10, 2009, 12:47 PM

Stogieman  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 10, 2009, 01:40 PM

It was really hard to arrive at work on time this morning. I was up til 3am playing campaign. I don't want to give away any spoilers but the last level I finished reminded me of the movie Red Dawn.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Nov 10, 2009, 01:42 PM

You assholes are really going to make it hard to wait until Friday to get this game.

Stogieman  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 10, 2009, 01:53 PM

I must of missed something. Why are you waiting til Friday to get a game you've been waiting months and months to play?

sek929
Posting Junkie
Nov 10, 2009, 01:55 PM

No reason besides the fact I just bought another brand new game like a week ago and I'm attempting a slight bit of self-control.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 10, 2009, 01:56 PM

Maybe I'll play Borderlands with sek tonight and take tomorrow of and Warfare it up.

Stogieman  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 10, 2009, 02:15 PM

That's cool. Maybe we can do some Co-op missions. I should be done with the campaign tonight.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 10, 2009, 02:22 PM

Ha, just got this email:

Mac User #001
Mac Elite
Nov 10, 2009, 03:36 PM

I know about 20 people (from my PC gaming clan days) that have cancelled MW2. They have said that they will obtain the game through other channels. In the future, they are going to be playing Battlefield: Bad Company 2 - when it comes out. Must say that it does look impressive.
This is where I'm at. I didn't pre-order the game, but I'm certainly not buying it, at least, not right away.

There is a bit of irony in ditching a game where it's predecessor dominated PC online gaming and the sequel disappoints, then switching to a game where its sequel impresses, but the original didn't even see a PC release.

EDIT: I'm also interested in how CoD4 for the Wii does, which also released today. Maybe even enough to buy it. I believe WaW on the Wii did pretty decent, and I can't believe they've managed to get in the entire multiplayer suite, single player campaign, customizable controls and decent visuals.
( Last edited by Mac User #001; Nov 10, 2009 at 03:52 PM. )
I have returned... 2020 MacBook Air - 1.1 GHz Quad-Core i5 - 16 GB RAM

sek929
Posting Junkie
Nov 10, 2009, 07:03 PM

...but left out the oh-so-awesome Nazi Zombies for some bizarre reason. My guess is that the Wii couldn't handle that many characters on screen at once.

zerostar
Mac Elite
Nov 10, 2009, 11:03 PM

Played my first few rounds of MW2.... so far it's GREAT. On the PS3 here... not sure if anyone else is around these parts

Rumor
Nov 10, 2009, 11:46 PM

Currently am downloading it to my HD, then it is game on. Oddly, I only see Dakar and Adam Betts online...
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

Stogieman  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 11, 2009, 06:10 AM

Finished the campaign on normal. Man was that epic! Lots of twists and turns in the the story. Of course they left the ending open for a Modern Warfare 3. I was hoping for another mile high club type mission after the credits but there wasn't one. Instead the game takes you straight the the special ops menu. I'm going to bed right now but I'll post more about the campaign tomorrow (with spoiler tags of course.)

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 11, 2009, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
Finished the campaign on normal. Man was that epic! Lots of twists and turns in the the story. Of course they left the ending open for a Modern Warfare 3. I was hoping for another mile high club type mission after the credits but there wasn't one. Instead the game takes you straight the the special ops menu. I'm going to bed right now but I'll post more about the campaign tomorrow (with spoiler tags of course.)
How long did it take you? I read that someone finished it in just under 5 hours, but I don't know what level they played.

I'm getting too old to stay up late playing video games, managed 1H30 this morning, but I'm paying for it now. The maps really are incredible and the SCAR-H is soooo much fun. Even with all the points you get, changing Prestige levels will still take some work since you now have 70 ranks within each level. Still, playing Hardcore HQ and getting 5000 (yes thats five thousand) points seems strange. Like cheating somehow.

Oh, last night when I started playing I noticed that it said 136824 people were playing Team Deathmatch online. There were 304750 online in total (I wrote this down to comment on it). Around 23H00 there were 231619 playing Team Deathmatch and 488088 online. Activision/IW will be laughing all the way to the bank. Wonder what it was like on PC and PS3.

By the end of my gaming session, it reported 0 playing Team Deathmatch and 0 people online in total. I'd love to think that it passed the million mark and hence couldn't display the correct (or even near to correct) amount, but I figure some other reason for the zeros.

Looking forward more than ever to Dakar's games sales, XBL usage stats for Nov.
( Last edited by mattyb; Nov 11, 2009 at 06:42 AM. )

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 11, 2009, 10:58 AM

I played some more of the campaign last night but then ended up playing multiplayer for a few hours. Great game.

mikecosentino on xbox live if anyone wants to add me.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 11, 2009, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by mdc View Post
I played some more of the campaign last night but then ended up playing multiplayer for a few hours. Great game.
Yep, I saw you were playing TDM all the night. As far as my friends list is concerned you mattb and I are the only ones who have ventured into multi.

---

After my Borderlands session and an episode of the Wire, I decided to briefly demo the multi. You guys are going to hate me.

The first map was Favela Afghan. I knew I was going to hate this map before the game started, and it did not disappoint. Twice I incurred a Deathstreak, Once even going as far as 5 straight. The best part is I somehow finished around 6-9. Blah.

The second map was better, though I won a camping award because the other team was doing a good job pushing us back into a corner. Finally at the end I got bored, jumped into a skirmish zone and ended up racking up a triple kill as the game closed.

My third, and final match of the night (brace yourself) was fantastic. I had won UAV twice on my first game but hadn't gotten any further. This game, I was exploring found some enemies holed up, but distracted. Threw a grenade in, killed one, gunned down another escaping, UAV. Take over the area, my buddy gets gunned down, camp in a corner. Guy crawls in, gun him down, care package.

Go outside, chuck the flare, package drops, AC-130. On my first care package. I use it (out in the open as i was so excited). Terrible map. Buildings everywhere. I got one kill. It shot slower than I recall in the videos. On the right map it might be over powered, but here, and on my first time? No.

That one kill did get me the predator missile, though. Something about the controls confused me. I wanted them to be inverted or something. Still I managed two more kills and was still rolling. By the time my streak was ended (stupidly) I had wracked up a killstreak of 10 and was sitting at 14 and 3. I died twice more and game ended. My awesomest accolade for the match:

Decimator: Killed entire enemy team without dying

I got some other good ones too, but I forget what they are.

So, my very lucky start summed up: 3 wins, 0 losses, 30 kills, 20 deaths, 10 killstreak, and an AC-130 care package.

Whooooooooooooooooooooo
( Last edited by The Final Dakar; Nov 11, 2009 at 12:16 PM. )

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 11, 2009, 11:43 AM

Still, playing Hardcore HQ and getting 5000 (yes thats five thousand) points seems strange. Like cheating somehow.
Yeah, I'm not a fan of the point disparities between playlists. I think it was Bogues who played regular HQ all the time because you could level faster. Yeah, sure, too bad my W/L and K/D were going in the crapper as I ranked faster.

Dumb.

---

Is it me or do you die faster in Core modes? Maybe it stopping power or general unfamiliarity but it feels quick.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 11, 2009, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by mdc View Post

Yeah I'll add you.

The first map was Favela Afghan. I knew I was going to hate this map before the game started, and it did not disappoint. Twice I incurred a Deathstreak, Once even going as far as 5 straight. The best part is I somehow finished around 6-9. Blah.
I love that map. ACOG on the SCAR-H isn't as effective due to the brightness, but in the caves, you are the Pwn Master with an AA-12 shotgun.

The second map was better, though I won a camping award because the other team was doing a good job pushing us back into a corner. Finally at the end I got bored, jumped into a skirmish zone and ended up racking up a triple kill as the game closed.

My third, and final match of the night (brace yourself) was fantastic. I had won UAV twice on my first game but hadn't gotten any further. This game, I was exploring found some enemies holed up, but distracted. Threw a grenade in, killed one, gunned down another escaping, UAV. Take over the area, my buddy gets gunned down, camp in a corner. Guy crawls in, gun him down, care package.

Go outside, chuck the flare, package drops, AC-130. On my first care package. I use it (out in the open as i was so excited). Terrible map. Buildings everywhere. I got one kill. It shot slower than I recall in the videos. On the right map it might be over powered, but here, and on my first time? No.
Yeah I agree the AC-130 isn't that good on built up maps, plus if you use the 25mm you'll spend the whole time searching for victims instead of shooting - the zoom is too much.

That one kill did get me the predator missile, though. Something about the controls confused me. I wanted them to be inverted or something. Still I managed two more kills and was still rolling. By the time my streak was ended (stupidly) I had wracked up a killstreak of 10 and was sitting at 14 and 3. I died twice more and game ended. My awesomest accolade for the match:

Decimator: Killed entire enemy team without dying

I got some other good ones too, but I forget what they are.

So, my very lucky start summed up: 3 wins, 0 losses, 30 kills, 20 deaths, 10 killstreak, and an AC-130 care package.

Whooooooooooooooooooooo
The accolades are quite fun, most suicides, most headshots, most swapping of weapons. Reminds me of the stats for an American Football game.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of the point disparities between playlists. I think it was Bogues who played regular HQ all the time because you could level faster. Yeah, sure, too bad my W/L and K/D were going in the crapper as I ranked faster. Dumb.

Is it me or do you die faster in Core modes? Maybe it stopping power or general unfamiliarity but it feels quick.
When I was trying to get to level 55 prestige 10 in CoD4 I was spending most of my time in Hardcore HQ. I'm now getting 4 or 5 thousand in normal TDM now (not just large kills but large bonuses), so I wonder if there is a big difference in points available between match types.

In hardcore in CoD4 it was easier to die and easier to kill (more damage + less health), I presume its the same for MW2. I also feel that its a quicker game, even the Hardcore TDM is quick instead of the more strategic game that was hardcore TDM in CoD4.

TBH I'm having fun going through the add-ons for the SCAR-H at the moment, I'm bound to be playing this games for months and months so I've certainly got the time to rank up.

Matchmaking still takes a while though - what did you experience?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 11, 2009, 02:04 PM

*slow clap*

it's been awhile since I saw someone use multiquote properly.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 11, 2009, 02:29 PM

PS3 Modern Warfare 2 experiencing multiplayer issues; patch expected Friday
According to a tweet by Infinity Ward's Robert Bowling, a "trophy update" has been released. However, while said update fixes one problem, it apparently creates another. "It killed all multiplayer activity on MW2," tipster True_Darknight tells Joystiq.

Wow. I don't see this as a PS3 vs 360 thing, but holy crap did the PS3 people get ****ed on this one.

Stogieman  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 11, 2009, 02:36 PM

How long did it take you? I read that someone finished it in just under 5 hours, but I don't know what level they played.
5 hours seems about right. I'm sure my next run on Veteran difficulty will take me much longer.

Originally Posted by mdc

How far along are you on the campaign? Things start to get crazy (the sh!t hits the fan) after the first South American mission.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 11, 2009, 02:37 PM

it's been awhile since I saw someone use multiquote properly.
I'm learning. Even managed to use the spoiler tags.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 11, 2009, 02:44 PM

For mattyb:
Gamasutra - News - Modern Warfare 2 Sells 1.23 Million Day One Copies In UK Alone
Activision and Infinity Ward's anticipated shooter Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 has sold an "astonishing" 1.23 million units in its first day of sales in the UK alone, Chart-Track and the Entertainment and Leisure Software Publishers Association said Wednesday. The game launched on November 10.
For reference, GTA IV sole less than 650,000.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 11, 2009, 02:53 PM

For mattyb:
Gamasutra - News - Modern Warfare 2 Sells 1.23 Million Day One Copies In UK Alone

For reference, GTA IV sole less than 650,000.
Well, they'll never listen to any PC related petitions now. I predict that the next CoD game, done by Infinity Ward, will not be released on PC. Treyarch may do something, but not IW.

Mac User #001
Mac Elite
Nov 11, 2009, 02:55 PM

Just curious; I know there aren't many other PC gamers here (and in fact I think Rumor was the only one, who has now converted), but is anyone picking up MW2 for the PC?

I now have respectable Interwebs at home now! No more 800ms pings and download limits.

It's nice to see I'm paying for a 1.5 line and getting 1.5, which is still considerably cheaper than what I was paying for HughesNet. Though the upload is apparently crap.
I have returned... 2020 MacBook Air - 1.1 GHz Quad-Core i5 - 16 GB RAM

Forum Links
Forum Rules