Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > 17" iMAC (1 gHz) ..... burns error ridden DVDR

17" iMAC (1 gHz) ..... burns error ridden DVDR
WinTroll
Forum Regular
Jun 9, 2003, 07:54 PM

I am a recent "switcher".

I just tried burning my first 4X DVD and it seemed to burn fine, no errors. I tried to copy the files to my WinTel XP laptop but it errors on the files.

I put it back in the iMAC and try to copy them (it shows the files on the DVD but will not read them) and it locks up my MAC so solid that I have to literally power off the computer!

I am so pissed right now.........

What could have possibly gone wrong?????!?!?!?!?!?!?!

WinTroll  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 10, 2003, 10:54 PM

I appreciate all the ideas and suggestions posted here in response to my plea for help.

No really.....you guys are too much.

MoparSteve
Jun 11, 2003, 03:02 PM

I don't know if this is anything, but your iMac writes to DVD-R standards. Check the specs of the DVD drive in your windows machine to see if it reads DVD-R.

bstieritz
Jun 11, 2003, 06:47 PM

Originally posted by MoparSteve:
I don't know if this is anything, but your iMac writes to DVD-R standards. Check the specs of the DVD drive in your windows machine to see if it reads DVD-R.

Sighs . . .

sometimes the best solution is just a little common sense??

cheers,
brian

WinTroll  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 11, 2003, 09:59 PM

Originally posted by bstieritz:
Sighs . . .

sometimes the best solution is just a little common sense??

cheers,
brian
Very funny.

You want to get with the program and read the whole posting now.

As I stated, the DVD-R isn't working in the iMAC either. The very SuperDrive that created it. That has zero to do with the XP laptop. The DVD-R was verified successfully at burn time.

MoparSteve. Thanks for trying to help though. I did check the specs and it should have no problem since it reads DVD's fine.

drcarl
Jun 11, 2003, 11:30 PM

A couple of ideas:

1) Burn some files on a CD-R and see if your laptop can read it. That would rule out at least some incompatability problems.

2) Burn a new DVD-R. Some people have had problems when burning on cheap disks so you may want to try a different brand than the one you used. Buy an expensive DVD-R disk from Apple if you have to.

Post your results, hopefully the problem will be resolved--but if not--MacNN will be there to save the day (I hope).
--Dr. Carl--
iMac 800MHz 17"FP 80G HD 1G RAM
PowerBook G4 1.33GHz 15" 60G HD 768M RAM

scottiB
Professional Poster
Jun 12, 2003, 02:17 PM

How are you burning the data DVD? I believe that data DVDs burnded in the Finder are not able to be read into a PC. Roxio's Toast in needed for that.

Regarding the inreadability in the iMac, I'm not sure. What Dr. Carl wrote is appropriate.
I am stupidest when I try to be funny.

Forum Links
Forum Rules