Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Syncing Palm with Entourage X

Syncing Palm with Entourage X
loudpedal
Forum Regular
Aug 29, 2003, 11:00 PM

When I try to sync my Palm Zire 71 with Entourage X, the Entourage conduit "unexpectedly quits" after syncing a few of the apps (address and photos). The conduit quits on memo pad (that's what it says on the Palm's screen) when "Synchronizing Entourage conduit" message appears on the computer's screen. I've tried to shut off all unnecessary items on the HotSync setup but it doesn't do any good. When the Entourage conduit was originally installed, it said that it was putting a few Palm components into a "Not Used" folder and replacing them with Entourage conduit.

System info: iMac DV SE slot load 400 MHz G3, 384 MB RAM running OS X 10.2.6. Sync cradle hooked into USB port on computer. Entourage V.X 10.1.4.

Palm info: Zire 71 running OS 5.2.1. No memory card installed.

Anybody had a similar problem that got through it? Any help would be appreciated.
"When the light turns green, get off the brakes and stand on the loudpedal!"

loudpedal  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 30, 2003, 12:11 AM

In further investigation, I traced the problem back to the memo pad application. When I went into the Palm Desktop and looked under HotSync and Conduits, I found that everything else would sync just fine if I disabled ("Do Nothing") with the memo pad. I'll continue to work with it to see if I can find any specific reason why it errors out like this.

drcarl
Aug 30, 2003, 03:10 AM

It's because you can't syncronize your Zire's memo pad with 2 conduits (the Palm Desktop Memo pad conduit and the the Entourage X conduit).

Just got a new Zire 71 myself. A very nice replacement for my Visor Deluxe! Enjoy!
--Dr. Carl--
iMac 800MHz 17"FP 80G HD 1G RAM
PowerBook G4 1.33GHz 15" 60G HD 768M RAM

loudpedal  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 31, 2003, 02:32 PM

Thanks for the reply. I designated my memo pad as "do nothing" in the Palm desktop and it still bombed. The only way I can get it to sync. consistently is if I designate the Entourage Notes as "Do Nothing". The last time I synced, it even erased all of the memos from the Palm (although they are still in Entourage).

I noticed that the Palm has a "Note Pad" and a "Memo Pad". The Note Pad is more of a Newton-ish scribble pad and the Memo Pad is more of the traditional Palm area for taking notes. Entourage is trying to sync. the Memo Pad, while the Palm Desktop is trying to sync. the Note Pad. Anyway, I'm going to keep at it and hope to eventually figure out.

If you have any further comments, they would be appreciated. For me, this is an upgrade from a Palm IIIx. Wow! What a difference!!

loudpedal  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 31, 2003, 03:04 PM

It seems that a memo created in Entourage won't sync with the handheld and causes a crash of Hot Sync. I re-created all of my Note Pad documents (most were beamed from my old Palm anyway) on my Zire 71. When I set the Entourage conduit to "Palm overwrites Entourage" and synced, everything transferred as it should. A subsequent Hot Sync with everything on and scheduled to synchronize went as it should. It's gonna be kind of a pain creating all notes on the Palm but looks like it will be necessary until MS fixes their conduit.

Forum Links
Forum Rules