Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Problems with Palm Desktop

Problems with Palm Desktop
pgb
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 1, 2003, 09:13 PM

Whenever I install Palm Desktop I get an error saying that the instalation was unsuccesfull, and that I should reinstall it, however, every time I try to reinstall, the same error pops up. The program seems to be working fine, except for HotSync, when I try to rn it, I get this message:

"The Application "HotSyncManager" could not be launched because of a shared library error: "4<HotSync Manager><Hotsync Manager<>Hot SyncLib.PPC><>"

I'm using the updated 10.2.8, however everything else seems to work fine, this is the only problem I've got since I installed it. I didn't had Palm Desktop installed before, but I just got a Palm, and I'd really like to be able to sync my computer with it. Any advice? or ideas on why this is happening?

Thanks in advance.

drcarl
Oct 3, 2003, 02:02 AM

I wonder if the problem is with X.2.8. I'm running X.2.6 on my iMac and Palm Desktop installed just fine and syncs well with my Zire 71. Entourage is my PIM software but Hotsync Manager is a must. Hope someone with a deeper understanding of OS X can help with that error message (Sounds like you could delete a file and then reinstall and it should work fine but let's let an expert settle that problem for you). Consider writing to Apple and to Palm and checking their support web sites if you haven't already.
--Dr. Carl--
iMac 800MHz 17"FP 80G HD 1G RAM
PowerBook G4 1.33GHz 15" 60G HD 768M RAM

glowingcactus
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 3, 2003, 07:24 AM

I'm using the updated 10.2.8, however everything else seems to work fine, this is the only problem I've got since I installed it. I didn't had Palm Desktop installed before, but I just got a Palm, and I'd really like to be able to sync my computer with it. Any advice? or ideas on why this is happening?

Thanks in advance. [/B]
I have Palm desktop installed on a powerbook Ti 15" with 10.2.8. It works. So I dont think 10.2.8 is the problem.

On the other hand I had Palm desktop installed BEFORE in 10.2.6. Then when I got my Tungsten T3 I reinstalled the Palm desktop (because the PIM conduits have changed for the new Palms) this time AFTER the 10.2.8 update.

Did you reboot after install?
Try repairing permissions using Disk Utility?

Watch out for the Entourage Conduit v10.1.4 (0703); if you have the new version of PalmOS. It does not work with the new PIM format (In the T3 and new Zire) so do not install that.
_ _ _____________ _ _
GC

as2
Mac Elite
Oct 3, 2003, 07:41 AM

I used to get this error message on my iMac, but didn't get it when I installed on Panther 7B74 to check compatibility...

I think it is because the installer runs a second install 'task' behind the main installer. If the secondary installer does not complete then you get an error message. Are you using the latest version from the palm website?

Try making sure you don't have anything else running during the install, or that you are logged in as an admin.
[img=http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/1300/desktj.jpg]

Forum Links
Forum Rules