Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > iMac or PC

iMac or PC
pmpknetr21
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 10, 2003, 07:34 PM

I'm new to the Mac World and am considering switching to an iMac from a pc. What problems if any, can I expect and is it worth the jump? What do you all think? Will I really miss my pc that much? And does Palm OS work with a Mac?

Dex13
Mac Elite
Oct 10, 2003, 09:32 PM

Click Here and Be informed.

As for the palm I'm pretty sure it works w/ macs.

limerick1913
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 10, 2003, 09:43 PM

Originally posted by pmpknetr21:
I'm new to the Mac World and am considering switching to an iMac from a pc. What problems if any, can I expect and is it worth the jump? What do you all think? Will I really miss my pc that much? And does Palm OS work with a Mac?
I've been a PC for over 15years. I first brought an iBook last December and i have never looked back. The OS is not much different than Windows barring the fact that you will never see a blue screen of death!!!! It's quick and stable..."It just works".

Now I moved from the iBook to the new 15" iMac. I am never going back to PC.

bradoesch
Professional Poster
Oct 11, 2003, 09:59 AM

And does Palm OS work with a Mac?
Modern Palms work fine, but it's got a really old Palm that connects with a serial cable (instead of the USB conector they use now), you'll need to buy a serial-to-USB adaptor to get it working.

Another thing, if you really care about playing the latest and greatest games, make sure you've got a PC or console. Most of the big games get "converted" to the Mac, but they usually don't get released with the PC version. Also, you can't just pop in a better video card and processor and expect to keep your machine modern. Games are about the only thing I don't do with my iMac (it's the old style, if you remember those.)

drcarl
Oct 11, 2003, 12:47 PM

What do you use your Palm for? There are still a couple of things you can't do if you hotsync with a Mac instead of a PC. What kind of Palm do you have?

I use a medical drug database application on my Palm called ePocrates. Each time you hotsync, the drug database is updated via the internet. I encountered a lot of difficulties when hotsyncing my Handspring Visor, iMac and ePocrates. It ended up being a problem with the Visor (which I replaced with a Palm Zire 71), however; there were no problems if you hotsync with a PC. Avantgo still does not work if you wish to hotsync with the latest version of Palm Desktop and OS X. You can use Avantgo if you use OS 9 and Palm Desktop 2.6, however; I'm not sure if the latest Palms work with Palm Desktop 2.6. I think someone is working on making a conduit that is compatible with Avantgo and OS X.

My current setup is an iMac 800Mhz, Palm Zire 71, Palm Desktop 4.1, Microsoft Entourage X, and ePocrates Rx Pro. If you are getting MS Office along with your iMac, you should consider downloading the Entourage-Palm conduit. With the release of Panther, check out Apple's iSync/Mail/Address Book/iCal as an alternative to Entourage X (Entourage is pretty sweet though IMHO).
--Dr. Carl--
iMac 800MHz 17"FP 80G HD 1G RAM
PowerBook G4 1.33GHz 15" 60G HD 768M RAM

pmpknetr21  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 11, 2003, 04:23 PM

I would be using the iMac for clothing design, Office Professional, heavy surfing and downloading, and heavy "iLife" types of things (home dvd's, music downloads for my iPod for windows, etc.). The palm I have is a Sony Clie NR70V. I wouldn't use it for much more than that. (Maybe games, but not very much at all.) What do you all think?

(Thank you very much for all your feedback.)

Dex13
Mac Elite
Oct 11, 2003, 05:24 PM

I would be using the iMac for clothing design, Office Professional, heavy surfing and downloading, and heavy "iLife" types of things (home dvd's, music downloads for my iPod for windows, etc.). The palm I have is a Sony Clie NR70V. I wouldn't use it for much more than that. (Maybe games, but not very much at all.) What do you all think?

(Thank you very much for all your feedback.)
Get A Tower

slider
Mac Elite
Oct 13, 2003, 03:18 PM

Sounds like the iMac would be perfect for you. I think you will really enjoy the interface's usebility and consistancy. I use a PC to run a application called ArcView and the PC just Sucks. It's a brand new machine, actually the machine is sweet, but Windows blows, althougth I must say XP pro is a much better OS than it's predecessors. You'll fall in love with OS X, and Pather is going to be here in less than 2 weeks.

MichaelB43
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 23, 2003, 11:13 AM

Make the switch. After having a Macintosh SE with 2 floppies in college, I moved over to the PC world for the last 11 years. I grew to like Windows, and XP is great. Still, I wanted something more. About 3 months ago I impulsively purchased a 17" 1GHz iMac, and I haven't looked back. I specifically purchased it hoping that it would be easier to make movies and manage photos. I bought MS Office X, and swapping MS Office files between my iMac and PC's has been flawless (which was one concern I had, since I use Office so much).

The first time I made a DVD off footage I took with my MiniDV camcorder, I knew I made the right decision. Within an hour of launching iMovie for the first time, my DVD of my son's first 6 months was done. I burned it, and viola!

I also find it much easier to deal with digital photos, especially sharing them. If you want an easy way to get your pics on the internet, or build a website, I highly recommend getting a subscription to .Mac. The integration between iPhoto and .Mac is phenomenal. It makes posting your pics to the internet just a few clicks a way (no exaggeration).

The build quality of the machine is exceptional. You feel like you own a piece of art versus a metal box with an Intel chip in it. I find it more satisfying to own. Of course, if it didn't work so well, I wouldn't care. But the fact that it works AND looks great is a plus in my book.

Good luck,
Mike

P.S. For those who push the stability of the Mac platform, I will say that XP was pretty solid. I never rebooted, except when required by software changes or updates (which were much more frequent on the Windows platform I will admit). Still, OS X is much more slick.

Krusty
Professional Poster
Oct 23, 2003, 05:28 PM

Make the switch ... but keep one foot in the PC world if you need to by doing this:

Download Microsoft's Remote Desktop Client . You can then "host" your PC on your iMac's screen whenever you want. Your PC is running at full speed like always ... only its using your Mac's monitor as its monitor. I've used it before with a friend's PC and it works like a freakin' champ. Only weird thing is using your mac's keyboard in windows ... hafta remember that the apple key = windows "start" key.

You can run windows in a window or make it full screen on your mac (believe me ... its scary looking. You can really see how much uglier windows is when its surrounded by Aqua goodness).

Best o' luck.

ApeInTheShell
Senior User
Oct 23, 2003, 11:31 PM

So is this the Virtual PC killer for professional's?

what is the difference between this and apple's remote desktop?

Krusty
Professional Poster
Oct 23, 2003, 11:55 PM

Originally posted by ApeInTheShell:
So is this the Virtual PC killer for professional's?

what is the difference between this and apple's remote desktop?
not sure the diff between it and Apple's remote desktop since I've never used ARD ... but, yes, it SHOULD be the Virtual PC killer ... since its actually hosting a PC rather than emulating it. What's Virtual PC cost ?? What's a low end PC cost? If you use a PC often at all you're definitlely better off going this route, IMHO.

Macpilot
Mac Elite
Nov 3, 2003, 07:23 PM

Of course, I am biased.....Get a Mac!

And whatever Mac you decide to get, get as much RAM as you can afford. If you are going to be doing a lot of multitasking, OS X LOVES RAM. On an iMac I would get 768 megs or 1 Gig of Ram.

Unless you need the latest model, there are left-over 800mhz iMacs at the online sellers like MacConnection for $200 less than the current models. Upgrade the Ram for $100 and then get a $100 rebate. Good deal. Free shipping too.

My sister just got one.
MacBook Pro
Mac Mini

Mr.Clicky
Nov 4, 2003, 05:47 AM

Mac.

Sorry, I thought it was multiple choice

Forum Links
Forum Rules