Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > New iPod Nano confirmed by Apple?

New iPod Nano confirmed by Apple?
Remxed
Aug 23, 2007, 10:32 AM

Awnoes: iPod Nano Spy Shots Confirmed as Real by Apple Legal - Gizmodo

Apparently Gizmodo got their hands on some spyshots. Then Apple legal asked them to take them off the site claiming that the pictures were their "intellectual property."

The picture now on Gizmodo is their photoshop rendition of the Nano spyshots.
Of course this may not be the final model or whatever.

But still, any thoughts? I personally would still prefer the 2nd gen Nano over this new one.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 23, 2007, 10:44 AM

Having seen the "spy shots" I'd say it looks more like something Creative would put out than Apple, but that doesn't mean it isn't real. I guess it depends on the size of the player to some extent, and we don't really have any frame of reference for that yet.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 23, 2007, 01:10 PM

any mirrors?
we don't have time to stop for gas

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 23, 2007, 01:25 PM

Here is one. I don't know how long it will last:

http://web.mac.com/adwilk/nano.png

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 23, 2007, 01:32 PM

The image that was up there before clearly showed an Photoshop window in OS X with a filename in the titlebar that said something like "nano mockup.psd".

I seriously doubt that this a legit "leak". Apple likely asked them to remove the images because the menu screenshots superimposed on the screens of the nanos in the picture are copyrighted by Apple - the menu system is Apple's intellectual property. Same goes for the scroll wheel.

If it is real, though, those new nanos are really fugly. They're too big, and who the heck wants to watch videos on a device wth a 1.5" screen and only a few gig of flash memory?
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Aug 23, 2007, 01:34 PM

The squat look doesn't work. They seem like some kind of cross between the Shuffle and the reg model.

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 23, 2007, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by shifuimam View Post
The image that was up there before clearly showed an Photoshop window in OS X with a filename in the titlebar that said something like "nano mockup.psd".

I seriously doubt that this a legit "leak". Apple likely asked them to remove the images because the menu screenshots superimposed on the screens of the nanos in the picture are copyrighted by Apple - the menu system is Apple's intellectual property. Same goes for the scroll wheel.
I have never heard of Apple asking for a fake or a mock-up to be taken down.
If it is real, though, those new nanos are really fugly. They're too big, and who the heck wants to watch videos on a device wth a 1.5" screen and only a few gig of flash memory?
Funny, because people always criticize leaked pictures of real Apple products as ugly, but then when they come out, there's a whole different perception.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 23, 2007, 02:10 PM

Yeah, I don't recall Apple ever going after people who were just doing mockups. That doesn't necessarily mean that this is what we're going to see for the next nano, of course.

ph0ust
Senior User
Aug 23, 2007, 02:51 PM

i can't imagine apple coming out with such a lame design, so i hope they aren't legit. the current nano looks so much better. what would the "nano" need such a large screen for anyway? if you want video... you would get the full screen video version (assuming that is what they give it).

analogika
Posting Junkie
Aug 23, 2007, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by ph0ust View Post
i can't imagine apple coming out with such a lame design, so i hope they aren't legit. the current nano looks so much better. what would the "nano" need such a large screen for anyway? if you want video... you would get the full screen video version (assuming that is what they give it).
You have absolutely no idea of the size of that thing. The nano looks lame if you imagine it the size of a full iPod. At its size, it's magnificent.

If that thing is one-quarter or one-third shorter than the current nano, and maybe just under a cm wider, that would look pretty cool IMO.

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 23, 2007, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by BRussell View Post
I have never heard of Apple asking for a fake or a mock-up to be taken down. Funny, because people always criticize leaked pictures of real Apple products as ugly, but then when they come out, there's a whole different perception.
I also have criticized leaked or previewed Apple products as lame, and I generally still think they're lame after they've been released, I've seen them, and used them or talked to those who have owned them (Apple TV, iPod Video, etc.).

Originally Posted by analogika View Post
You have absolutely no idea of the size of that thing. The nano looks lame if you imagine it the size of a full iPod. At its size, it's magnificent.

If that thing is one-quarter or one-third shorter than the current nano, and maybe just under a cm wider, that would look pretty cool IMO.
If the pseudo-nano has a scrollwheel that is the same size as the current one (and you have to admit, if it got much smaller it would be too small for adult hands):

If the pseudo-nano is the same width and has the same size as the current one (note how impossibly tiny the scroll wheel would be:

I'm not going to deny that it's possible that this is the next-gen nano. I still hope it isn't. I like the current nano. It hits the sweet spot between adult usability and subcompact size. It's not so small that it would literally sliip through the fingers of a grown man's hands, but it's not so large that you can't fit it in a tiny pocket of a pair of women's jeans.

I just think that in order to make something that squat usable, it's going to be too wide. Slim width is more important than vertical length in something like this. Things that are longer but narrower fit into all kinds of tight spaces - pockets, wallets, tiny purses, etc. Things that are more square than rectangular just don't have the right dimensions for small spaces, unless they're so tiny they're unusable.

I'm just sayin'.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 25, 2007, 09:09 AM

Nice pictures, shifuimam.

For me, the reasoning behind this being a new iPod has absolutely nothing to do with what it looks like. Our opinion of its beauty is irrelevant, IMO, when Apple legal has asked the pictures to be removed. When that happened, my personal evaluation of it as to whether it is real stopped: It is real.

On your pictures: I could see it either way. There is definitely a trend towards smaller with the iPods, which could argue for the small version. On the other hand, the larger one is still very small, and probably has similar HXW area to the current nano; and a larger screen has one thing going for it: Video capabilities for the nano. If the video iPod gets a larger screen, like the iPhone, there might be some incentive to make the nano screen larger as well, for video and photos.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 25, 2007, 10:54 AM

How do we know they aren't pretending that Apple Legal told them to take them down?

Apple Legal told me to say that.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

robshoy
Aug 25, 2007, 01:21 PM

Because Gizmodo and Engadget also got take-down notices. Why would you fake a take-down notice?

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 25, 2007, 01:31 PM

Engadget would not do this, but there have been cases where sites have claimed to receive cease-and-desist notices from Apple just to make it look like they have inside info and to get people to come to their site. In hindsight, it was obvious that Apple wouldn't have done that, since the rumors in question were completely off-base.

robshoy
Aug 25, 2007, 01:59 PM

We have to keep in mind that a take-down notice from Apple does not mean it's the next iPod. The real truth is probably that these were a concept done by Apple, and possibly rejected. It's still Apple's intellectual property, the concept I mean, and thus it can't be reproduced legally. They may be worried that a rejected concept, one that they themselves find unappealing, may bring their stock down. That's happened before, not too long ago may I add.

ApeInTheShell
Senior User
Aug 25, 2007, 02:36 PM

Looks like the replacement for the iPod shuffle

robshoy
Aug 25, 2007, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by ApeInTheShell View Post
Looks like the replacement for the iPod shuffle
...no... it doesn't... at all.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Aug 25, 2007, 10:37 PM

How about a replacement for the iPod? 16 GB flash would fit quite nicely in there.

So basically the new iPod would be as short or shorter than the current nano, but wider to fit the bigger screen, and pretty thin. Unlike the current model, no more big fat hard drive needed.

Furthermore, for a new iPod nano, its clickwheel size wouldn't have to change if you made it shorter:

(Yeah I know it's the wrong nano, but it was the easiest to find for a quick p'shop.)

And of course, they could have yet another iPod, the WiFi widescreen OS X iPod.
( Last edited by Eug; Aug 25, 2007 at 10:59 PM. )

Brien
Professional Poster
Aug 25, 2007, 11:40 PM

Now I like how that nano looks.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Aug 26, 2007, 05:18 PM

Ya I have to admit I like the look of this new Nano. I'd take wide screen over the current form anyday.

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Aug 26, 2007, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
Ya I have to admit I like the look of this new Nano. I'd take wide screen over the current form anyday.
Ditto.

"The new iPod nano: fat never looked so good."?
Signature depreciated.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 26, 2007, 05:48 PM

I don't think the devices in the spy shots are widescreen, anymore than the current video iPod is widescreen.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 26, 2007, 06:56 PM

So they're dumping metal and going back to plastic again? Bad move.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Aug 26, 2007, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by icruise View Post
I don't think the devices in the spy shots are widescreen, anymore than the current video iPod is widescreen.
Um, in comparison to the nanos. And widescreen just means a bigger badder screen than the current nanos.

Brien
Professional Poster
Aug 26, 2007, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
So they're dumping metal and going back to plastic again? Bad move.
No, it'll probably be another iPhone-esque styling with glass and whatnot. Spy shot was such a low res, who knows.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 26, 2007, 10:22 PM

Um, in comparison to the nanos. And widescreen just means a bigger badder screen than the current nanos.
No, widescreen means (wait for it) a wide screen.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 27, 2007, 03:26 AM

The aspect ratio of the iPod video and iPod nano screens are absolutely identical, namely 4:3.

Actually differences are the pixel count (320x240 vs. 176x132), the ppi value (160 ppi vs. 147 ppi), the screen size (2.5" vs. 1.5"), and of course the video capability.

However, as already pointed out, none of the iPods have widescreen displays.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Aug 28, 2007, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by icruise View Post
No, widescreen means (wait for it) a wide screen.
Princess'.

Ok what I should have said I prefer the wideR biggeR screen over the current nano.

Smart move by apple as they will just sell more movies/TV shows this way.

Forum Links
Forum Rules