Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > September 5th

September 5th (Page 2)
robshoy
Sep 4, 2007, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by bearcatrp View Post
Don't be surprised if leopard gets released early to boost the stocks up!
Randy
I would be more than surprised if that were to occur.

MacinTommy
Mac Elite
Sep 4, 2007, 12:06 PM

What about iPhone games?

robshoy
Sep 4, 2007, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by MacinTommy
What about iPhone games?
What about them? They don't exist yet. But theoretically some badass games could be made with the accelerometer. Brick (Breakout) would be about 10 times more fun if you just tilted it to move the bar at the bottom of the screen.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 4, 2007, 01:24 PM

I would love for games to be released for the iPhone. That's one thing I'm really waiting for. That, and Internet Radio (I needs my NPR on the way to work).

robshoy
Sep 4, 2007, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by ::maroma:: View Post
I would love for games to be released for the iPhone. That's one thing I'm really waiting for. That, and Internet Radio (I needs my NPR on the way to work).
If the iPhone has internet access, even with its pitiful Edge, then theoretically can't you just go to a web-radio site and listen there?

Simon
Posting Junkie
Sep 4, 2007, 01:47 PM

Think Secret - Touch-screen iPod to take center stage

Looks like iPhone. Still HDD based. Expect 120 GB.

Nano will get 5.5G video capabilities incl. 320x240 display. Expect 12-16GB flash.

robshoy
Sep 4, 2007, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
Think Secret - Touch-screen iPod to take center stage

Looks like iPhone. Still HDD based. Expect 120 GB.

Nano will get 5.5G video capabilities incl. 320x240 display. Expect 12-16GB flash.
That's basically just a rumor roundup for tomorrow's event. ThinkSecret is a rumor site, we mustn't forget that.

Fred33
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 4, 2007, 02:27 PM

That would be cool to have the ability to play movies and such on a nano or to even have the iphone interface on one.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 4, 2007, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by robshoy View Post
If the iPhone has internet access, even with its pitiful Edge, then theoretically can't you just go to a web-radio site and listen there?
Not that I know of. I tried with NPR, but it said I didn't have the plugin. It uses iTunes to stream regularly (on a "regular" computer). I'm not sure how other web radio stations work.

Lava Lamp Freak
Sep 4, 2007, 04:04 PM

If the Nano is updated tomorrow, I wonder if it will qualify under the free Nano deal for educations customers or if they'll keep giving away the current Nano.

Professional Poster
Sep 4, 2007, 04:25 PM

They're using the deal to get rid of old nanos.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 4, 2007, 04:25 PM

The free Nano deal isn't really a free Nano. It's a $199 rebate on any iPod (which equals the price of the 4gig Nano). You could buy a video iPod and split the difference with them.

I have a feeling that they are going to get around this by announcing the iPods tomorrow, but not having them ship until after the promotion.

EDIT: Actually, it looks like Apple specified exactly which iPods were available with the deal. So they don't need to delay the new ones. They simply won't be covered.

Apple - Back to School

Basically, you can get any CURRENT iPod $199 or more, and you get a $199 rebate.
( Last edited by ort888; Sep 4, 2007 at 04:37 PM. )

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 4, 2007, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by Lava Lamp Freak View Post
If the Nano is updated tomorrow, I wonder if it will qualify under the free Nano deal for educations customers or if they'll keep giving away the current Nano.
Nope. The deal will end tomorrow/tonight.
Originally Posted by adamfishercox View Post
They're using the deal to get rid of old nanos.
adamfishercox remembers his history.
Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
The free Nano deal isn't really a free Nano. It's a $199 rebate on any iPod (which equals the price of the 4gig Nano). You could buy a video iPod and split the difference with them.
EDIT: Actually, it looks like Apple specified exactly which iPods were available with the deal. So they don't need to delay the new ones. They simply won't be covered.

Apple - Back to School

Basically, you can get any CURRENT iPod $199 or more, and you get a $199 rebate.
Expect all the old iPods, even the ones covered under the rebate, to be no longer available and disappear from the website when the Apple Store comes back online tomorrow.

I have my money for the new 120-160GB iPod video in hand (actually, a CC, but whatever). I could buy two.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Sep 4, 2007, 07:16 PM

I'm wondering how upset some of the iPhone people will be if an iPod that basically has all (o even most) of the iPhone features (minus the phone) with more HD space and a lower price.

I guess I'd be rather upset.

MacinTommy
Mac Elite
Sep 4, 2007, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by mitchell_pgh View Post
I'm wondering how upset some of the iPhone people will be if an iPod that basically has all (o even most) of the iPhone features (minus the phone) with more HD space and a lower price.

I'll answer that... I personally wont be mad.
A: I dont need a computer sized HD in my music player/phone
B: I was in need of a new phone when the iPhone came out and this ipod won't be able to make calls (unless the whole wifi thing happpens and then I guess skype might be possible but will it have a microphone?)
C: I love my iphone! I wouldnt change my purchase even if I could get a full refund right this second.

stevesnj
Mac Elite
Sep 4, 2007, 08:38 PM

How bout an iPhone update...like Flash!! Custom ring tone ability.
MacBook Pro 15" i7 ~ Snow Leopard ~ iPhone 4 - 16Gb

MacinTommy
Mac Elite
Sep 4, 2007, 09:12 PM

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS (more for the flash)

Visnaut
Senior User
Sep 4, 2007, 09:18 PM

I don't see how anyone would be.

First of all, you've got a phone that is a pleasure to use, a great example of convergence, no need to carry two separate devices anymore.

And second of all, if the iPod has WiFi and even all of the browsing and email capabilities, there's no arguing that WiFi coverage is anything but as ubiquitous as EDGE, making the iPhone a much more useful device if you need to be connected all the time.

JustinHorne
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 4, 2007, 09:22 PM

All I want is a NEW full size iPod with >60 GB. I'd buy one of the current ones, but as a person still rocking a 40 GB iPod Photo (yeah, an ACTUAL iPod photo, not just a color 4g. ) the 5g pods bug me. I don't like the smaller click wheel, they lag and jump when scrolling fast in large lists, etc.
Assuming they do a full size iPod update, and it has more than 60GB, I'll be buying it tomorrow.
My 4g is on it's second HD, but it's battery still goes >10 hours. I just think it's realisticly time to retire this one to backup drive duty.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Sep 4, 2007, 09:26 PM

No worries here for one simple reason:

There is no way Apple will debut a touch-screen iPod that has Wi-Fi, Safari, Email, SMS, etc. Just won't happen - it would cut into iPhone sales too much.

I expect to see a HDD touch-screen iPod in an iPhone form factor. But it will be just that - an iPod, not an internet browsing, emailing, SMSing, phone-less iPhone.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Sep 4, 2007, 09:58 PM

My predictions:

The beat goes on
This is a direct reference to the Beatles' last press release. So yes, expect to see some sort of Beatles announcement. We already know their catalogue has been remastered for digital release, so this 45th anniversary is as good as any date to release it. You'll probably see either Ringo or Paul or if we are lucky both on stage.

And for crying out loud, no it does not refer to Madonna. KT Tunstall appearing has little relevance to this.

iPod Nano update
This one is a sure thing and will look like the pictures that were pulled in the colours posted. 16GB flash memory is likely.

Touch screen iPod
Seems likely. WiFi will be used for iTMS and possibly widgets (YouTube, Stocks, Weather, Trailers(?). Wireless syncing is - judging by the iPhone - sadly not going to happen. No Safari, no communication.

No radio - internet (dying because of new royalties pricing) or FM (useless in most areas of the world).

Prices will stay the same. Harddrive sizes will finally increase.

Remote control for iTunes or TV? Meh. Not too likely. I doubt that it will stream to APEx either, but one can always hope.

The thing is, for every cool new product Apple releases, they always underwhelm us with features, the iPhone being a prime example
( Last edited by - - e r i k - -; Sep 4, 2007 at 10:04 PM. )

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Sep 4, 2007, 10:17 PM

I just want the iPod touch to have Wifi and internet and iTunes 8 to have some kick ass new tricks for the iPhone.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Sep 5, 2007, 12:46 AM

Another small thing is I want a totally new icon for iTunes. A CD and a note doesn't really represent all the multimedia and podcasting features it has. Also with Apple selling music and videos in digital format the CD icon is even more dated.

That and I find it bland and ugly.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Sep 5, 2007, 03:01 AM

What about them? They don't exist yet.
Lights Off for the Apple iPhone
iPhone World � iPhone Games
( Last edited by - - e r i k - -; Sep 5, 2007 at 03:08 AM. )

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Sep 5, 2007, 03:04 AM

Originally Posted by Mrjinglesusa View Post
No worries here for one simple reason:

There is no way Apple will debut a touch-screen iPod that has Wi-Fi, Safari, Email, SMS, etc. Just won't happen - it would cut into iPhone sales too much.

I expect to see a HDD touch-screen iPod in an iPhone form factor. But it will be just that - an iPod, not an internet browsing, emailing, SMSing, phone-less iPhone.
I'm not so sure... and this is why. While the iPhone is doing VERY well, it's still a drop in the bucket as compared to overall iPod sales (nearly an order of magnitude). My thoughts would be for Apple to offer a high end iPod that has most of the iPhone features, at a higher price point ($400 for a high end model, and $300 for a low end model).

I firmly believe Apple will try to get the iPod (non-nano/shuffle) and iPhone
on the same platform so that they can build it out.
It would still make the iPhone look VERY attractive.

If Apple wants the iPhone to REALLY take off, they need users to create a demand ("Applications" and Safari specifically). So, even if Apple can sell 4.5 million iPhones in 2007 (that's more than Apple even expects), that's a drop in the bucket as compared to iPod sales. Apple's selling about 3,271,666 iPods a month. If even 1/4 of them were a new iPod (something higher end), it creates more users

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Sep 5, 2007, 03:27 AM

What about them? They don't exist yet. But theoretically some badass games could be made with the accelerometer.
Basic games:
Corridor: The first 3D game for the iPhone! - Sho.rt-B.us
XEODesign

Real use of the accelerometer:
Medallia Blog: Fun with the iPhone accelerometer

Simon
Posting Junkie
Sep 5, 2007, 04:42 AM

If they actually release the touchscreen iPod with 3.5" 480x320 display, a nice thin case, and a big HDD I'll be getting it as soon as they start selling refurbs. If they don't include WiFi, radio or any other such gimmicks I'll buy it right away to replace my 5G video iPod.

Lava Lamp Freak
Sep 5, 2007, 09:46 AM

I would love to see an announcement that iTunes will begin selling 720p TV shows and movies.

CorpITGuy
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 5, 2007, 10:30 AM

I'd like to see an iPhone software update with Exchange/ActiveSync compatibility.

Professional Poster
Sep 5, 2007, 11:26 AM

Well its today so well see.

qkslvr
Sep 5, 2007, 12:25 PM

Is there going to be some sort of live coverage of the event? Or do I have to wait for the Keynote to go up on apple.com before I know what the deal is?

qkslvr
Sep 5, 2007, 12:26 PM

Oh... And on a side note... The store is down right now.

MacinTommy
Mac Elite
Sep 5, 2007, 12:31 PM

Live Coverage
Mac Rumors: 'The Beat Goes On' Live Event Coverage

And I'm guessing Apple will post a video if you want to watch the actual event, but there arent any live video feeds

qkslvr
Sep 5, 2007, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by MacinTommy View Post
Live Coverage
Mac Rumors: 'The Beat Goes On' Live Event Coverage

And I'm guessing Apple will post a video if you want to watch the actual event, but there arent any live video feeds
Great. Thank you much.

richwig83
Mac Elite
Sep 5, 2007, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by qkslvr View Post
Oh... And on a side note... The store is down right now.
Im hoping 4 a new ipod.... fingers crossed!
MacBook Pro 2.2 i7 | 4GB | 128GB SSD ~ 500GB+2TB Externals ~ iPhone 4 32GB
Canon 5DII | EF 24-105mm IS USM | EF 100-400mm L IS USM | 50mm 1.8mkII
iMac | Mac Mini | 42" Panasonic LED HDTV | PS3

Professional Poster
Sep 5, 2007, 01:45 PM

It looks like basically EVERYTHING they're introducing has already been leaked by 9to5mac. Bad year for Apple in terms of leaks.

Professional Poster
Sep 5, 2007, 01:49 PM

Apple's stock is sliding...

theDreamer
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 5, 2007, 02:16 PM

Iphone price drop....WOW!!! Did not expect that.

Quick edit: This does not upset me as an early buyer of the phone, it just shows how popular the phone is and how much better it is going to get.

Professional Poster
Sep 5, 2007, 02:22 PM

I have to say, I kind of was after they introed an iPhone minus phone that was $300 less. I'm not pay $300 for phone capabilities.

tomrock
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 5, 2007, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by theDreamer View Post
Iphone price drop....WOW!!! Did not expect that.

Quick edit: This does not upset me as an early buyer of the phone, it just shows how popular the phone is and how much better it is going to get.
It's a pretty big drop -- $200.

butterfly0fdoom
Senior User
Sep 5, 2007, 02:29 PM

*sigh* I don't care about the iPhone price drop. In my family, we usually have the poor luck, unless we buy on launch day, that a price cut or a replacement product is announced soon after we buy something. And a price cut happened in this case. But seriously, I'd rather go for an 8GB iPhone than a 16GB iPod touch or $400.

Does this mean the pack-ins for the iPhone are reduced cuz that's how they pulled off the price cuts for the iPod photo.
MacBook Core 2 Duo 2.16 (Black)
iPod classic 160GB
iPhone 8GB

otep1760
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 5, 2007, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by butterfly0fdoom View Post
*sigh* I don't care about the iPhone price drop. In my family, we usually have the poor luck, unless we buy on launch day, that a price cut or a replacement product is announced soon after we buy something. And a price cut happened in this case. But seriously, I'd rather go for an 8GB iPhone than a 16GB iPod touch or $400.

Does this mean the pack-ins for the iPhone are reduced cuz that's how they pulled off the price cuts for the iPod photo.
id rather the iPod touch since i already have a cell phone and i wouldnt have to worry about a monthly $80+ bill that comes along with the iPhone

Xarthan
Sep 5, 2007, 02:34 PM

damn 200 bucks drop after 2 months
Macbook Pro 2.16 C2D | 2GB | 160 HD
Mac Pro 3.0 | 4GB | 1.5 TB | 30" ACD

frdmfghtr
Senior User
Sep 5, 2007, 02:34 PM

Maybe I should wait until tonight before posting this to see what iTunes looks like, but...

99 cents for a ringtone from iTMS...what about making ringtones from your own CDs??

theDreamer
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 5, 2007, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by tomrock View Post
It's a pretty big drop -- $200.
$200 dollars is $200 dollars.
If I knew about the price drop would I have waited? Any sane person would have, but we did not and had no clue if/when they were going to have one. So I choice to go out and buy my iPhone and enjoy it to no end.

otep1760
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 5, 2007, 02:41 PM

anyone know about when the keynote will be up on apple.com?

butterfly0fdoom
Senior User
Sep 5, 2007, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by otep1760 View Post
id rather the iPod touch since i already have a cell phone and i wouldnt have to worry about a monthly $80+ bill that comes along with the iPhone
Ah, well, it comes down to personal preference. The iPhone's just more functional IMO (since it's reduced my pocket carrying load from an iPod and a phone to just an iPhone).
MacBook Core 2 Duo 2.16 (Black)
iPod classic 160GB
iPhone 8GB

Cold Warrior
Sep 5, 2007, 02:45 PM

Price drop is the biggest shocker for me. I'm very interested to see how they pulled that off and still maintain their normal margins. If they're sacrificing margins for market share, that's not like Apple.

bierslayer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 5, 2007, 02:47 PM

Anyone want to speculate as to what happens with the 4 GB iPhone inventory? Any unsold 4 GB's aren't going to sell at their original price now that the 8 GB is at $399.

frdmfghtr
Senior User
Sep 5, 2007, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by theDreamer View Post
$200 dollars is $200 dollars.
If I knew about the price drop would I have waited? Any sane person would have, but we did not and had no clue if/when they were going to have one. So I choice to go out and buy my iPhone and enjoy it to no end.
If you wait until the price comes down, or features are maximized, you will always be waiting. By the time the price stops dropping and features stop being added, the product will be obsolete and you will buy the latest and greatest anyway, because who is going to buy something that is obsolete?

Forum Links
Forum Rules