Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPod Touch wish list

iPod Touch wish list
bearcatrp
Senior User
Sep 18, 2007, 12:01 PM

Ok, its time to put up a wish list to see what everyone would like added. We already know about the screen issue so please don't comment on that as I believe apple will address this soon. Lets talk apps and functionality.

1. Ability to download and save files in safari.
2. disc mode.
3. Widgets.

This my few to get things rolling. What would you like to see added?
Randy
2010 Mac Mini, 32GB iPod Touch, 2 Apple TV (1)
Home built 12 core 2.93 Westmere PC (almost half the cost of MP) Win7 64.

applemacbook
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 18, 2007, 01:34 PM

An SDK for 3D Party Software

Simon
Posting Junkie
Sep 18, 2007, 01:48 PM

• editable calendar
• Mail.app
• 64 GB
• SDK

in that order

Visnaut
Senior User
Sep 18, 2007, 02:07 PM

I agree with Disk Mode and Widgets, but I don't really see the benefit of downloading/saving files with Safari. What would you do with those files once on the iPod? View and edit them? Apple isn't counting on you having third party apps, so why would they implement that feature?

Personally, I have a few high-priority list of items I'd like them to implement:
  1. Calendar Editing. No-brainer here Apple. Why let the user edit and add contacts but not events? At the very least it's an inconsistent user interface behaviour, and mostly just annoying.
  2. Notes. This was something that was at least present in the previous version of the iPods. Now it's gone completely. Why take it away?
  3. Nested Playlists. Apparently the new round of iPods support them, why not the flagship iPod?

A 3rd-party SDK would be incredible, but I doubt it'll happen.
( Last edited by Visnaut; Sep 18, 2007 at 02:45 PM. )

Smillz
Sep 18, 2007, 05:04 PM

80gb version

CapitalMan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 15, 2007, 09:12 AM

The new Samsung YP-K3 (YP series - with a touch-screen) had it added through a firmware update, so why can't Apple do the same? The preset ones just aren't good enough - and assume that everyone will prefer listening to their music under those lab settings! Come on Apple - this is meant to be the coolest MP3 player around!

chriswithpepper
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 15, 2007, 09:22 AM

Disk mode (in the iTouch) will never happen. Is there not a disk mode you can enable in OS X?
Chris McCorkle • Happy iPhone Owner!

butterfly0fdoom
Senior User
Oct 15, 2007, 11:32 AM

Look, guys, for the umpteenth time, the iPod touch is, first and foremost, an iPod (and an upgraded one, depending on your perspective), not a stripped down iPhone.
MacBook Core 2 Duo 2.16 (Black)
iPod classic 160GB
iPhone 8GB

passmaster16
Senior User
Oct 15, 2007, 01:23 PM

ichat would be nice

tomjennings83
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 15, 2007, 04:11 PM

wow just buy a powerbook and you will get all of those things

passmaster16
Senior User
Oct 15, 2007, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by tomjennings83 View Post
wow just buy a powerbook and you will get all of those things
You mean a macbook pro right? Seriously, we know that these features can be obtained in a full size laptop. People are looking for the justification of buying the Touch over any other iPod or MP3 device. The touch screen and interface are nice additions but it seems that the inclusion of some additonal apps would make the device more useful. I, for one, would be able to overlook the capacity limitation if the device offered additional features such as Mail and iChat. These are software applications that would most likely incur little or no additional expense to Apple. We can talk all we want about how the Touch is not a stripped down iPhone, but Apple brought this on themselves by making the Touch and the iPhone very similar in looks and functionality. I think the Touch, whether Apple likes it or not, is now competing in a segment that includes PDAs. It is very hard to take features away when it's obvious that it would have been very easy to include them. Had the iPhone never existed, it would have been tougher to argue that certain apps/features should be included. As long as the iPhone and Touch are so similar, there will always be this comparision.

Koralatov
Senior User
Oct 16, 2007, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by butterfly0fdoom View Post
Look, guys, for the umpteenth time, the iPod touch is, first and foremost, an iPod (and an upgraded one, depending on your perspective), not a stripped down iPhone.
You're absolutely right. Too many people are hoping to get the iPhone on the cheap by buying a touch, and it's not going to work like that. They're too seperate devices, with different uses in mind.

That said, it is totally unforgiveable to give you iCal and not let you edit/add events to your calendar, especially as you can add/edit contacts in Address Book. Having an editable calendar in the touch does not in any way infringe and/or threaten the iPhone. I suspect that this oversight might be rectified in a future firmware update, however...

butterfly0fdoom
Senior User
Oct 16, 2007, 01:51 PM

The calendar thing I can understand, but when people start demanding widgets, a Mail app, and all the other non-phone iPhone functions, it gets old and annoying (since it happens on a weekly basis, nearly).
iPod classic 160GB
iPhone 8GB

passmaster16
Senior User
Oct 16, 2007, 03:03 PM

The calendar thing I can understand, but when people start demanding widgets, a Mail app, and all the other non-phone iPhone functions, it gets old and annoying (since it happens on a weekly basis, nearly).
I don't think having a "wish list" is being demanding. People have a higher expectation of the Touch because of its advanced hardware features. Apple included wifi with the device. Most likely the sole reason was so that people could purchase songs from ITMS however since they included a browser, people are going to expect more. I don't think there is anything wrong with people expecting a little bit more out of a PDA-like device for the 300-400 dollars that you spend. You can say that "it's just and iPod" all you want, but its features have catipulted into the handheld segment whether people like to admit it or not. I don't look at the Touch in comparison to the iPhone...although the fact that these features/applications exist on the iPhone only prove that it should be relatively easy to make them available on the Touch. I look at it in terms of its hardware capability and how well the software is utilizing the hardware. There is a lot of functionality that could be there in software but isn't.

butterfly0fdoom
Senior User
Oct 16, 2007, 03:57 PM

Yes, I understand the iPod touch could use some more functionality. But why include apps that need the internet when the device only supports Wi-Fi? Those apps would be useless a lot of the time. PIM/PDA functions should be on the iPod touch, I agree.

Here's the thing, though, do we really need weekly threads on this? Why not just make one thread and stick with that one thread?
iPod classic 160GB
iPhone 8GB

passmaster16
Senior User
Oct 16, 2007, 04:33 PM

Yes, I understand the iPod touch could use some more functionality. But why include apps that need the internet when the device only supports Wi-Fi? Those apps would be useless a lot of the time. PIM/PDA functions should be on the iPod touch, I agree.
I would consider an app like mail to be a PIM/PDA function...whether it's reading mail offline or online. I see what you are saying in regard to connection availability, and I would agree that some of the functionality would be pointless without an "always-on" connection. However, some of those apps would not require an internet connection all the time. In this case, there doesn't seem to be any reason for not including them other than product differentiation. Sure there will be a large share of people who buy the device soley for the Touch screen and interface, many already have. But there are also those who would want to buy it because it has additional features such as wifi. So why cripple the device intentionally and lose out on that market segment? I'm sure the AT&T/iPhone agreement has something to do with it since Jobs has stated that they don't mind Apple products cannibalizing each other. He shouldn't really care if he sells more iPod Touches than iPhones but AT&T probably wouldn't like that. In fact, I wouldn't be surpised if Apple's margins were higher on the Touch due to the lack of phone hardware.

Here's the thing, though, do we really need weekly threads on this? Why not just make one thread and stick with that one thread?
I agree with that.

butterfly0fdoom
Senior User
Oct 16, 2007, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by passmaster16 View Post
I would consider an app like mail to be a PIM/PDA function...whether it's reading mail offline or online. I see what you are saying in regard to connection availability, and I would agree that some of the functionality would be pointless without an "always-on" connection. However, some of those apps would not require an internet connection all the time. In this case, there doesn't seem to be any reason for not including them other than product differentiation. Sure there will be a large share of people who buy the device soley for the Touch screen and interface, many already have. But there are also those who would want to buy it because it has additional features such as wifi. So why cripple the device intentionally and lose out on that market segment?
Well, I use my experiences with Palm OS to figure out what's to be expected on a PDA, and, to that end, all the iPod touch is lacking is editable calendar and notes (SDK, too, I guess). Yet you can still access e-mail through Safari. You can still access maps through Safari. You can get stocks and weather through Safari. The iPod touch is lacking the dedicated applications, but, in terms of the ends, has the same functionality.

That said "crippled" is, again, all perspective. Those that want a premium iPod probably wouldn't consider the touch crippled, but those that expect a phoneless iPhone would think the touch is crippled.
iPod classic 160GB
iPhone 8GB

nnnan
Banned
Oct 16, 2007, 10:40 PM

cheap

Simon
Posting Junkie
Oct 17, 2007, 12:43 AM

This is that one thread. So stop complaining.

butterfly0fdoom
Senior User
Oct 17, 2007, 01:38 AM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
This is that one thread. So stop complaining.
Then why wasn't this created, oh, I don't know, earlier? There's been a thread every week up until now (and if another one pops up next week, my point will be further proven. Even more. Again.).
iPod classic 160GB
iPhone 8GB

Simon
Posting Junkie
Oct 17, 2007, 02:22 AM

No, you're ranting. This thread is labeled "iPod Touch wish list" so obviously it's the proper thread to list wishes. If you have a problem with the other threads that supposedly pop up weekly, go complain there.

robshoy
Oct 17, 2007, 03:25 AM

Jailbreaking is easy.

'Nuff said.

macintologist
Professional Poster
Oct 17, 2007, 04:45 AM

Lyrics

goldfilm
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 18, 2007, 10:36 AM

My wishlist for iTouch is the following, in order of priority:

1) Editable calendar
2) Lyrics
3) Volume control through hardware
4) Same iPhone apps. (Mail, Notes, Stocks, Maps)
5) Enable disk use

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Oct 18, 2007, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by applemacbook View Post
An SDK for 3D Party Software
Done.

Which to me means

iPod touch is, first and foremost, an iPod (and an upgraded one, depending on your perspective), not a stripped down iPhone.
Is no longer true
Its going to become a full fledged PDA when developers are done with it. Even if Apple forces a certification process for 3rd party apps, its going to get those apps people here have been asking for

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

tomjennings83
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 19, 2007, 05:52 PM

i think the ipod touch is damn near perfect the way it is.

butterfly0fdoom
Senior User
Oct 20, 2007, 02:18 AM

Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
Its going to become a full fledged PDA when developers are done with it. Even if Apple forces a certification process for 3rd party apps, its going to get those apps people here have been asking for
Yeah, I noticed. Hence your username. Hence I haven't been harping that statement as of late.
iPod classic 160GB
iPhone 8GB

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 20, 2007, 03:21 AM

since i really like my current phone. once the ipod touch has a way to edit ical events and a notes app. like on the iphone. then i might get one.

phobos
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 20, 2007, 04:08 AM

Well for starters I would say, give back all the functionality we used to have on the original iPod.
That means proper playlists on the go (and not only browsing by songs......), proper syncing with iTunes (transferring back to iTunes date last played and play count), lyrics embedded in the song, disk mode, and last but not least a rich and full sound.
All of them except maybe the last request can be fixed through software.

After that do a proper syncing of the photographs. There's no use having a great device that can do zooming in and out on a picture when that picture is purposefully downscaled to 640x480 (or something close to that)

butterfly0fdoom
Senior User
Oct 20, 2007, 05:10 AM

The Multi-Touch iPod interface supports playlists on the go. I can add whole albums and even whole artists' libraries easily.
iPod classic 160GB
iPhone 8GB

phobos
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 20, 2007, 08:29 AM

I do know that ipod touch has playlists on the go. But only for songs. If you know how to look through artists and albums please do let us know

AppleJockey
Forum Regular
Oct 20, 2007, 12:19 PM

100gb hdd

just kidding

butterfly0fdoom
Senior User
Oct 20, 2007, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by phobos View Post
I do know that ipod touch has playlists on the go. But only for songs. If you know how to look through artists and albums please do let us know
Just click on Albums or Artists while you're in On The Go mode. It won't take you out of that mode until you click "done". I found that out on accident, though. So it might do Apple good to publish that information (it might be in the PDF manual, though).
iPod classic 160GB
iPhone 8GB

ApeInTheShell
Senior User
Oct 21, 2007, 03:01 AM

Support for Flash in Safari and the ability to view PDFs offline.

phobos
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 21, 2007, 11:19 AM

Just click on Albums or Artists while you're in On The Go mode. It won't take you out of that mode until you click "done". I found that out on accident, though. So it might do Apple good to publish that information (it might be in the PDF manual, though).
thanks for the tip!

Pathfinder55
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 21, 2007, 03:10 PM

1. Editable Calendar
2. iChat
3. Mail

In that order

robshoy
Oct 21, 2007, 09:50 PM

I find it awfully odd that the one iPod with a keyboard can't name On-The-Go playlists and doesn't have a search function.

anogee
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 26, 2007, 07:53 PM

I love my Touch, but it could be improved many ways:

1) Support for Flash
2) Wireless syncing to iTunes
3) Wireless downloading of Podcasts over Wi-Fi
4) The ability to delete songs and podcasts from the device
5) Every screen viewable either horizontal or vertical. Includes videos, and text screens. ALL screens.
6) EVERY screen needs a way to go to the previous screen. (The function of the MENU key on all other iPods.)
7) The keyboard should display lower case or upper case based on the shift setting. (Currently it always displays upper case.)
8) Add the option to view a WEP/WPA key when entering it, or ALWAYS make it visible.
9) Add in a Bluetooth chip. (Apple what were you thinking NOT to include this?)
10) Increased magnification limits on Safari
11) The ability to modify calendar items
12) A user replaceable battery.
13) The ability to use the iTunes store wirelessly to get other items other than just songs you must buy.
14) Games and an iPod simulator to run other iPod Video games on the Touch.

I am a longtime Apple fan, but I think the omission of some of these features is just plain sloppy. Some are wishes, but most should have been on this product from day one.

reemas
Senior User
Oct 27, 2007, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by tomjennings83 View Post
i think the ipod touch is damn near perfect the way it is.
me too. i hope they never update it again.

paduck
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 4, 2007, 04:21 PM

Oh, I think that an iTouch is very much an iPhone without the phone. It is, afterall, basically the same device. Apple is attempting market segmentation, so that is fine, but realistically, the iTouch has a crippled feature set.

When the third party developers get to it, it will be just like the iPhone. In fact, we see that with hacks already. The lack of mail and editable calendar are almost criminal. Why have Safari and not mail? If you are going to allow communications, then allow it.

Add to the list (include for the iPhone)

Flash & Shockwave

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 4, 2007, 05:45 PM

Software:
a. an ebook reader
b. bare-bones text editor
c. some games (Bejeweled and Tetris for sure)
d. Mail, duh
e. lyrics
f. widgets
g. roll-your-own ringtones, duh

Hardware:
a. bluetooth with cell-phone sync and file-transfer

Cold Warrior
Nov 4, 2007, 05:57 PM

I played with one of these for the first time yesterday. Fell in love with it.

Lack of Mail is the most glaring, and simply heinous. WTF, Apple?

butterfly0fdoom
Senior User
Nov 4, 2007, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by paduck View Post
Oh, I think that an iTouch is very much an iPhone without the phone. It is, afterall, basically the same device. Apple is attempting market segmentation, so that is fine, but realistically, the iTouch has a crippled feature set.
Because its has a feature set slightly expanded beyond the standard iPod feature set. There's two ways to look at this. Those that see it as a phone-less iPhone will be disappointed because of Apple's approach, which is that the iPod touch is a premium iPod with the the advanced platform of the iPhone, but not exactly meant to act as a substitute. (dunno if that was coherent at all).

Originally Posted by anogee View Post
9) Add in a Bluetooth chip. (Apple what were you thinking NOT to include this?)
12) A user replaceable battery.
13) The ability to use the iTunes store wirelessly to get other items other than just songs you must buy.
9) Even the iPhone doesn't support A2DP. What would you want Bluetooth for?
12) No other iPod (not even the iPhone) has a user-replaceable battery.
13) Do you really want to download a movie using your iPod touch?
iPod classic 160GB
iPhone 8GB

anogee
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 5, 2007, 05:25 PM

9) Even the iPhone doesn't support A2DP. What would you want Bluetooth for?
12) No other iPod (not even the iPhone) has a user-replaceable battery.
13) Do you really want to download a movie using your iPod touch?
9) Just because the iPhone doesn't have A2DP doesn't mean that the Touch shouldn't have Bluetooth. A2DP would be great (Apple finally added it to its computers with 10.5) but the ability to use a keyboard and especially mouse with the Touch would be very nice in Safari. (And the ability to use stereo headphones is not to shabby either.)
12) Nope, but again, there is no reason not to add it to the wish list. Its expected in most products and certainly could be added here.
13) Movies, maybe, but what I want most is Podcasts. I think its just plain stupid that everyday, I have to sync my iPod Touch to my Wi-Fi laptop to download the latest Podcasts when there is no reason not to be able to download them directly to the device.

Forum Links
Forum Rules