Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Emulating Zelda Ocarina of Time

Emulating Zelda Ocarina of Time
bOOzo
Addicted to Themes
Sep 11, 2003, 06:42 AM

With the new SixtyForce, it's now possible to emulate Zelda - Ocarina of Time somewhat. It's necessary to switch between graphics modes in some places to avoid crashes, but when it works it's pretty great! It's a lot nicer graphics than on the N64, given the higher resolution and some of the cool graphics options such as Sai smoothing.

However there is still some funny bugs in the emulation. For example, all torsos of the characters are twisted and when you talk to people they never face you. And Link is moving very funny, he is tilting his head from left to right all the time, and when you try to do a roll, he kind of digs himself into the ground.

I captured some movies of this, one of which is especially funny and I laughed very hard the first time I saw it..

Upsidedown [1 MB] (very funny)

Guy trying to move rock.. [64 k]

Link breakdancing [116 k]

Also, since Links torso is placed wrong that makes it hard to kill a certain enemy where you are supposed to bounce back nut by holding up your shield. Since Link holds it wrong, the nut is actually bounce back in the wrong direction!
The worst bug is that you can't really climb ladders and such, because after two step, Link gets pushed to the right. It's possible to climb wide walls if you move back to the left when you get pushed, but when you try to climb a ladder, you fall of.

It's great that it's almost running and I hope he will get it right in a future version

Btw, Diddy Kong Racing works perfect.

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Sep 11, 2003, 07:52 AM

Originally posted by bOOzo:
With the new SixtyForce, it's now possible to emulate Zelda - Ocarina of Time somewhat. It's necessary to switch between graphics modes in some places to avoid crashes, but when it works it's pretty great! It's a lot nicer graphics than on the N64, given the higher resolution and some of the cool graphics options such as Sai smoothing.

However there is still some funny bugs in the emulation. For example, all torsos of the characters are twisted and when you talk to people they never face you. And Link is moving very funny, he is tilting his head from left to right all the time, and when you try to do a roll, he kind of digs himself into the ground.

I captured some movies of this, one of which is especially funny and I laughed very hard the first time I saw it..

Upsidedown [1 MB] (very funny)

Guy trying to move rock.. [64 k]

Link breakdancing [116 k]

Also, since Links torso is placed wrong that makes it hard to kill a certain enemy where you are supposed to bounce back nut by holding up your shield. Since Link holds it wrong, the nut is actually bounce back in the wrong direction!
The worst bug is that you can't really climb ladders and such, because after two step, Link gets pushed to the right. It's possible to climb wide walls if you move back to the left when you get pushed, but when you try to climb a ladder, you fall of.

It's great that it's almost running and I hope he will get it right in a future version

Btw, Diddy Kong Racing works perfect.
Yeah...Zelda is working but like you said, odd things like the ones your described make me have nightmare at night.

Anyways...here's a list of games that run full speed with (near-)perfect graphics on my 2x800MHz G4 (multisampling off, glN64 plugin with only fog enabled):

Aerogauge (sound skips though)
Super Mario 64
Harvest Moon (although flashes like crazy)
Mario Kart (always crashes after the 4th race)
Mega Man 64
Paper Mario (flashes like crazy)

Here's a list of games that run near full speed and (near-)perfect graphics:

Diddy Kong Racing
Rampage 2
Star Fox (crashes during storyline play)
Wave Race 64

Lots of other games work, but they're slow and/or have graphics problems.

sixtyforce has come long ways though.

bOOzo  (op)
Addicted to Themes
Sep 11, 2003, 08:05 AM

I only have a 800 Mhz g4, Radeon 8500 and 768 Mb ram and I most games doesn't run full speed, but I'm hoping that maybe there is optimization to be done so that it will be playable. I'm planning on a processor upgrade sometime anyway.

I've tried different options for the glN64 graphics, and I've found that Fog, 2xSal texture scaling and Normal texture depth (16 and 32 bit) are good setting. Disabling them doesn't make any difference in speed for me, but that might be because my 3d card is good while the processor is lacking.

I'll try running it in OS 9 and see if there is any speed gain.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Sep 11, 2003, 10:16 PM

I'm trying to run it and it dies right on the intro, when Link is in his wittle bed. This is using the OpenGl plug in. Should I just suffer through the sixtyforce one to get through the intro?
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

bOOzo  (op)
Addicted to Themes
Sep 12, 2003, 02:02 AM

Originally posted by goMac:
I'm trying to run it and it dies right on the intro, when Link is in his wittle bed. This is using the OpenGl plug in. Should I just suffer through the sixtyforce one to get through the intro?

You need to run the Sixryforce plugin from when ou start a game, then when link starts dreaming in his bed you can switch to glN64. But, before he wakes up and gets up, you must switch back to Sixtyforce or it will crash again. Press C-up and you should get some rough graphics and be able to go outside. When you are outside you can switch back to glN64. The game will crash if you go into Links house or any of the others. I think there are a exception, but most of the houses make the game crash.
So keep saving freezed games and do as I said and you should be able to play a little. But you wont get any longer than into the Tree where you get the slingshot, because when you got that you have to climb a ladder. And that is right now an impossible task
But it's great fun just to run around in the forest, and as I showed, it's especially fun to open treasure chests

Tom Rudderham
Sep 12, 2003, 05:50 AM

Zelda 64 runs perfectly in Mupen64 video and sound wise.
At the moment it's rather slow but theres an OSX update coming out in the next few days that should speed it up by 10 - 20%...
http://mupen64.emulation64.com/
Tom,
http://www.taranimationstudios.com/
1 Ghz TiBook (15")

bOOzo  (op)
Addicted to Themes
Sep 12, 2003, 07:01 AM

Originally posted by Tom Rudderham:
Zelda 64 runs perfectly in Mupen64 video and sound wise.
At the moment it's rather slow but theres an OSX update coming out in the next few days that should speed it up by 10 - 20%...
http://mupen64.emulation64.com/
Cool, thanks! I didn't know that there were plugins that you could download, I figured they would have to port them and release with the next beta of SF.

Edit: after actually downloading it I see that it's an app. Although it does not run at full speed for me, it looks promising.
( Last edited by bOOzo; Sep 12, 2003 at 08:36 AM. )

DBvader
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 13, 2003, 03:34 AM

man. I remember running UltraHLE on my P2 400 years ago with my TNT wrapping the glide apis those were the days. amazing framerate, complete compatibility, everything you would want in a emulator...and YEARS ahead of anything else. That was pure genius...I wish someone ported it to the mac and maybe made some type of wrapper.
"Take a little dope...and walk out in the air"

Jansar
Professional Poster
Sep 15, 2003, 10:04 PM

My main incentive for finding an emulated Zelda game would be to speed up the framerate since they are capped on both the N64 and the GameCube versions. Until I can play the game so, I can wait. I just finished it anyway.
World of Warcraft (Whisperwind - Alliance) <The Eternal Spiral>
Go Dogcows!

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Sep 15, 2003, 10:38 PM

Originally posted by DBvader:
man. I remember running UltraHLE on my P2 400 years ago with my TNT wrapping the glide apis those were the days. amazing framerate, complete compatibility, everything you would want in a emulator...and YEARS ahead of anything else. That was pure genius...I wish someone ported it to the mac and maybe made some type of wrapper.
Actually...the ROMs had to be patched to work the way they did in UltraHLE.

'till this day, there are still hacked roms roaming the net because of UltraHLE. But I guess you don't really care about the purity of emulation. In fact, you don't seem to care about anything really.

dwalls32
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 25, 2003, 11:16 AM

What controllers are you guys using for N64 emulation? Any way to hook up a real N64 controller to the Mac?

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Sep 25, 2003, 11:31 AM

Originally posted by dwalls32:
What controllers are you guys using for N64 emulation? Any way to hook up a real N64 controller to the Mac?
Right now, sixtyforce doesn't handle controllers natively. You have to use something like USB Overload to use your gamepads.

sixtyforce is supposed to implement HID in the next version (keyword: supposed to...if it doesn't, don't blame me)...this will allow you to plug in any number of controllers into your Mac and play up to 4 players (although support for up to 4 player already exists...it's a little impossible for the keyboard to handle that many people).

There are already HID drivers for the Xbox controllers out there. I think it's possible to get an adapter for N64 controllers.

I personally use the iShock 2.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jan 5, 2004, 12:37 AM

Originally posted by Horsepoo!!!:
Right now, sixtyforce doesn't handle controllers natively. You have to use something like USB Overload to use your gamepads.

sixtyforce is supposed to implement HID in the next version (keyword: supposed to...if it doesn't, don't blame me)...this will allow you to plug in any number of controllers into your Mac and play up to 4 players (although support for up to 4 player already exists...it's a little impossible for the keyboard to handle that many people).

There are already HID drivers for the Xbox controllers out there. I think it's possible to get an adapter for N64 controllers.

I personally use the iShock 2.
The Adaptoid works great (N64 controller -> USB adapter). I just finished Zelda this weekend with Sixtyforce 0.7.5 which plays the game just great!

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jan 5, 2004, 01:33 AM

It still a bit too choppy on my AlBook 1.25...
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jan 5, 2004, 01:37 AM

Originally posted by goMac:
It still a bit too choppy on my AlBook 1.25...
I have an AIBook 1.25 too. What settings are you using in Sixtyforce? The sound is choppy, but the game should be quite playable...

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jan 5, 2004, 01:57 AM

Originally posted by besson3c:
I have an AIBook 1.25 too. What settings are you using in Sixtyforce? The sound is choppy, but the game should be quite playable...
The graphics run decently, but the choppy sound annoys me to no end.

At least Link looks right when he walks now.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 5, 2004, 06:15 PM

It works great on my B&W... well, Nintendo 64

Daracle
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 5, 2004, 06:34 PM

Where do I get the games for my emulator?

i am yujin
Forum Regular
Jan 6, 2004, 08:26 PM

We're sorry, but we can't find the HomePage you've requested. It's possible that:

The address was entered incorrectly. Check your spelling and try again.

The .Mac member of this name has either created a page and removed it or has never published a HomePage.

There is no .Mac member of this name. If you'd like this member name for yourself, sign up for a .Mac account right now and have your own HomePage in minutes.
"iPod Mini embodies everything Apple nay-sayers cry at every turn: overpriced style with mediocre substance." -PookJP
yo w3rd.

sushiism
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 7, 2004, 07:49 PM

just buy an n64, they're like �16 now, i got one and its one of the best gaming machines this side on neogeo.
+goldeneye/perfect dark, best fps ever still
+zelda
+mischief makers
+bangai-o
+sin and punishment
+fzeroX - more great multiplayer
+smash bros

its amazing and emulation is awful for it becuase you need an n64 pad to play n64 right. And they always get the graphics wrong

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jan 7, 2004, 07:54 PM

Originally posted by sushiism:
just buy an n64, they're like �16 now, i got one and its one of the best gaming machines this side on neogeo.
+goldeneye/perfect dark, best fps ever still
+zelda
+mischief makers
+bangai-o
+sin and punishment
+fzeroX - more great multiplayer
+smash bros

its amazing and emulation is awful for it becuase you need an n64 pad to play n64 right. And they always get the graphics wrong
Have you tried the latest version of Sixtyforce, or are you just speaking in general terms? You will not find graphic problems with the supported games of Sixtyforce, including Zelda. It looks great and plays great, except for stuttering sound.

Sixtyforce also supports the N64 controllers.

bOOzo  (op)
Addicted to Themes
Jan 8, 2004, 09:22 AM

I think one of the points of having an emulator is to go beyond the original graphics, which it has at least somewhat. The n64 runs the games very low res and are generally blurry. And the N64 pad is not that great either, the analog stick gets worn out, which PS2 or Xbox pads don't suffer from.

atomised
Forum Regular
Jan 10, 2004, 01:45 AM

first off emulation is fantastic for 'dead' consoles, i don't agree with emulating current consoles...

emulation is also good for those who live in pal countries and were never able to access all of the ntsc games that never came out in the region and believe me its always about double the games.

what do you all find is a good spec to play the n64 emulators? i was planing to get a g5 as my old 466g4 can't handle most emulators that well...

Forum Links
Forum Rules