Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 12" PowerBook scratch, and other questions.

12" PowerBook scratch, and other questions.
qnxde
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 24, 2003, 08:52 PM

*cries* I was using my new PowerBook 12" at work, and some asshole put a sticky tape dispenser behind it, with the metal teeth facing the back of the LCD and I didn't notice. I sat down and opened up the angle of the LCD and felt it bump something. The rest writes itself. So there are now two small but quite deep scratches on the top. Anyone got any idea how to fix this? Some sort of paint!?

Also: does anyone elses 12" albook trackpad button seem a bit dodgy? Mine only seems to work correctly if you click it in the middle or near the middle, it gets kinda sticky on the left edge.

Other than that, no problems here

You can't eat all those hamburgers, you hear me you ridiculous man?

qnxde  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 25, 2003, 01:53 AM

uhh, bump?

You can't eat all those hamburgers, you hear me you ridiculous man?

CaseCom
Professional Poster
Feb 25, 2003, 02:09 AM

Several people have reported sticky trackpad buttons on 12-inchers. Up to you to decide whether you want to live with it or take it in to get it replaced.

re the scratches: It's a little tricky since it's unpainted metal; I'm guessing any paint would end up making it worse. Or you can take it in to an auto-body shop and see if they have an aluminum-colored Bondo (just kidding!) So you may have to live with it.

Or: If you decide the trackpad is too sticky to live with, you could call up Apple to see if they'll replace it ... then voila new PowerBook!

iChristopher
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 25, 2003, 02:53 AM

Couldn't you use some sort of tiny polishing tool to more or less buff out scratches on these things? I have no experience whatsoever, I'm asking.
TiBook 667 DVI - 20" Cinema Display - 20GB iPod

CaseCom
Professional Poster
Feb 25, 2003, 03:28 AM

The problem with that is that the PB doesn't have a smooth finish, it has a texture to it, so the area that you polished, however small, probably wouldn't match the rest.

real
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 25, 2003, 03:31 AM

I sent my PB back today to get it fixed. I had the loose track pad button. I wait somemore.
With some loud music + a friend to chat nearby you can get alot done. - but jezz, I'd avoid it if I had the choice---- If only real people came with Alpha Channels.......:)
AIM:xflaer
deinterlaced.com

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 25, 2003, 06:48 AM

I kind of doubt that there is any way to get rid of scratches like that short of replacing the part in quesitons, since if you tried to polish it, it would likely end up looking much worse.

mrtew
Professional Poster
Feb 25, 2003, 07:51 AM

If I had a new powerbook (well I do, but it's Titanium) I'd take off the aluminum outer shell and brush the entire case with steel wool to see how it would look. I don't really like the textured semi-gloss finish they put on there. And judging by how they look in the Apple store I don't think they are going to look new as long as the TiBooks do.

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 25, 2003, 08:18 AM

Originally posted by mrtew:
If I had a new powerbook (well I do, but it's Titanium) I'd take off the aluminum outer shell and brush the entire case with steel wool to see how it would look. I don't really like the textured semi-gloss finish they put on there. And judging by how they look in the Apple store I don't think they are going to look new as long as the TiBooks do.
Sounds like a really bad suggestion to me...

I think only time will tell how well the new books will age.

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 25, 2003, 09:57 AM

qnxde,

if you powerbook's trackpad button is unacceptable, and you purchased it very recently at an Apple store, take it back to them and exercise the return policy to get another pb.

If this isn't possible, call Apple and have them repair the pb.

As for your two marks, a soft buffing wheel on a dremel would create two shiny spots which would then tarnish instead of your two black spots. Pick your poison- which do you want worse.
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

oogje
Feb 25, 2003, 04:37 PM

qnxde,

By all means get your trackpad fixed. But look on the cover scratches with pride. They speak of a person who isn't afraid to put their computer to the test. While everyone is tippy-toeing around with their velvet lined sleeves in their Zero Halliburton cases you're out there in the real world fighting real office supplies.

You could put a bandage over the scratches if you wanted to be cute. Maybe a Flintstones Band-Aid.

ber

skyman
Mac Elite
Feb 25, 2003, 04:43 PM

Originally posted by vmarks:
qnxde,

if you powerbook's trackpad button is unacceptable, and you purchased it very recently at an Apple store, take it back to them and exercise the return policy to get another pb.

If this isn't possible, call Apple and have them repair the pb.

As for your two marks, a soft buffing wheel on a dremel would create two shiny spots which would then tarnish instead of your two black spots. Pick your poison- which do you want worse.
Aluminum does not tarnish or rust. It corrodes.

SplijinX
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 25, 2003, 05:42 PM

Can you return or exchange a PB that you buy from the Apple online store since we're on the subject of having Apple fix up his mouse button. Just got my 12" PB yesterday and it won't close. Called Apple support and they said they can send out a box, but I will be leaving town shortly and there will be an Apple store near where I will be, any idea how their return/exchange/repair system works?

=(
Are those free-ranged animal crackers?

Forum Links
Forum Rules