Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Today would be a good day to release a new 15.x PowerBook

Today would be a good day to release a new 15.x PowerBook
iChristopher
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 25, 2003, 02:51 AM

Based on my very crude research into 15" inventory levels, it is my wildly speculative opinion that a new 15.x PowerBook will be announced today.

My reasoning:

1) Inventory levels are at ZERO for both the 1GHz and 867 models at two different resellers.

2) If Apple has a 15" locked and loaded, they could take some attention away from the 17" and put some sales on the books right now. No point in waiting another whatever weeks to further clear the channel of TiBooks.

3) I really want it to happen, so I'm trying to wish it into reality.

iBook inventory levels also appear to be very low, based on my informal and highly unscientific research.

Still it's fun to speculate so there you go...
TiBook 667 DVI - 20" Cinema Display - 20GB iPod

Patcarla
Mac Elite
Feb 25, 2003, 08:39 AM

Yep but no applestore down yet...
Powerbook 1.67ghz 15" (100GB HD, 128MB VRAM, 1.5GB RAM)

todrain
Senior User
Feb 25, 2003, 11:47 AM

Maybe Apple is waiting until Wed. to throw us all off?

morlium
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 25, 2003, 11:53 AM

Apple is NOT going to release a Al PowerBook variation when they haven't even begun shipping the first model.

They're a business for chrissakes! Jeez!

At that rate, they can issue shotguns to all of their board members with a memo:
aim at foot, pull trigger ...
Michael Simon, Executive Editor
Collar and Carapace Press

skyman
Mac Elite
Feb 25, 2003, 12:22 PM

Originally posted by morlium:
Apple is NOT going to release a Al PowerBook variation when they haven't even begun shipping the first model.

At that rate, they can issue shotguns to all of their board members with a memo:
EXACTLY!

This point has only been made countless times in this forum.

skyman
Mac Elite
Feb 25, 2003, 12:59 PM

Originally posted by iChristopher:
Based on my very crude research into 15" inventory levels, it is my wildly speculative opinion that a new 15.x PowerBook will be announced today.
OH NO. It is Tuesday and no new 15" PowerBook at the Apple Store.

OH NO. No new iPods either.

Looks like the rumor sites were wrong.......again! LOL LOL LOL.

masternew
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 25, 2003, 01:14 PM

I just wanted to say that the 15' Powerbooks are due for an upgrade not only because of the two new Powerbook lines but also because certain features need to be added to the 15' Powerbook that I am sure will help sales skyrocket in the Apple lapton front.

I mean it would make a lot of sense, I see a lot of people around these forum (including me) that are waiting for this upgrade to get their new Powerbook, I am giddy with anticipation

iChristopher  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 25, 2003, 02:08 PM

Please explain your logic here, because I don't get it.

If Apple designed a new 15" at the same time they were working on the 12" and 17", then it's entirely possible the 15" was on track for introduction a couple months after the Keynote. Clear the channel of old 15" models and then say "Surprise", here's the new 15".

iChristopher  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 25, 2003, 02:14 PM

Originally posted by skyman:
EXACTLY!

This point has only been made countless times in this forum.
Exactly what? Please explain... The point doesn't hold water.

You guys assume what I'm saying is that Apple somehow designed and built a new 15" in the last month or something. That's not what I'm saying.

If Apple developed a new 15" in parallel with the other new Books, then it's entirely possible it was slotted to be launched right about now - which is the original date that the new 17" was to begin shipping. What would be so CRAZY about that? Seriously ... please tell me.

It's not sour grapes over being wrong about today either. I just don't understand what you guys thinking.

skyman
Mac Elite
Feb 25, 2003, 02:21 PM

Originally posted by masternew:
I just wanted to say that the 15' Powerbooks are due for an upgrade not only because of the two new Powerbook lines but also because certain features need to be added to the 15' Powerbook that I am sure will help sales skyrocket in the Apple lapton front.

I mean it would make a lot of sense, I see a lot of people around these forum (including me) that are waiting for this upgrade to get their new Powerbook, I am giddy with anticipation
Honestly. If you can wait this long for a new computer to be released then you do NOT really need a new system.

It amazes my how many Mac users are willing to wait and wait and wait for a new system. Then when the new system is available, they decide to wait and wait and wait some more for the next new update.

It truly is fanatical!

You either need a new system now (for whatever reason) or you do not need a new system period.

skyman
Mac Elite
Feb 25, 2003, 02:24 PM

It's not sour grapes over being wrong about today either. I just don't understand what you guys thinking.
Maybe if you read the numerous, repetitive and useless threads that have been started regarding this issue, you will then understand.

morlium
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 25, 2003, 02:28 PM

well, my thinking is, why would Apple release an exact-spec-ed 15" Ti book (minus the backlit keyboard, firewire 800, bluetooth and DDR RAM) just two months before the 17", if they had plans to update its design in early 2003?

to release a 15" Ti, they would certainly have to bump its processor speed; a 1GHz 15" Al book is a lateral pass and would steal sales away from the already over-hyped 17".

I think the 15" is important to the Apple line, and they will likely update it, but without some of the features akin to its 17" brother. Maybe the speed will be lower, maybe the backlit keyboard will be absent ... whichever the case, Apple has demonstrated a static difference within their unique hardware lines, i.e. a larger screen alone is not reason enough to substantiate a $500 price difference.

So, they can't bump the processor, as it would be faster than the flagship 17". And, assuming they would remove a feature or two, you just don't have enough to justify a new product announcement.

It would essentially be the same computer, with AE, optional bluetooth and an alluminum case. The last thing Apple wants to dois steal thunder away from the 17" with a confusing "refresh."

skyman
Mac Elite
Feb 25, 2003, 02:31 PM

It would essentially be the same computer, with AE, optional bluetooth and an alluminum case. The last thing Apple wants to dois steal thunder away from the 17" with a confusing "refresh."
Finally an intelligent observation and statement.

Thank you! Thank You. Thank You!

Patcarla
Mac Elite
Feb 25, 2003, 03:00 PM

Maybe if you read the numerous, repetitive and useless threads that have been started regarding this issue, you will then understand.
Eh, nobody forces you to read them...

kentuckyfried
Senior User
Feb 25, 2003, 03:09 PM

I just wish Apple would hurry the hell up and unveil a 15" something.
I really wish they had a DVI port on the 12" b/c I'd buy that instantly, but it doesn't.
Now I know, and knowing is half the battle!

iChristopher  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 25, 2003, 03:18 PM

You are good a slapping butts, but apparently can't defend your opinions without help.

iChristopher  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 25, 2003, 03:27 PM

to release a 15" Ti, they would certainly have to bump its processor speed; a 1GHz 15" Al book is a lateral pass and would steal sales away from the already over-hyped 17".
Apple sells computers and if a new 15" is planned, then what difference does it make when it comes out? Sooner or later it will "steal sales" from the 17", right? Moreover, while there is overlap between the models, the 15" and 17" are still well defined segments.

Furthermore, why would they have to speed bump the 15"? I'm guessing if they told you a 17" was on the way in December, you would have been here saying the 17" would certainly have to be released at something faster than 1GHz, right? Either way, they could release a new 15" at 1GHz and the World would keep turning, it really isn't a big deal. Give me a compelling reason why they couldn't?

I still think we are going to see the new 15" sooner rather than later. We'll see.

MusicalTone
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 25, 2003, 03:29 PM

Yeah, I cant see a new 15" any time soon either.

When Apple announced the new 12" and 17", they would have already made a decision about the 15" and that decision was clearly no upgrade for the time being. I dont buy the 'clearing of channels' argument because Apple would have known months ago (at least six) that it was gonna introduce the 12 and 17, therefore if they were gonna introduce a new 15 as well they would have throttled back on the 15" Ti production.

What Apple have done is effectively diversify their product range with the 12" and 17" and they are gonna wanna make sure those new market segments take hold before announcing a new 15", ibook or anything else.

My money is on the 15" getting updated when the 12" and 17" are, then you might see a 15" Aluminium.

Personally I think they should keep the Titanium shell and just add FW800 and Airport Extreme, etc. in the next rev.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Feb 25, 2003, 03:43 PM

Yes this type of thread has appeared countless times, but I will post anyway...

I originally thought back in January that shipping of a new 15" would be by May, but now I'm starting to think that it won't ship until a while later than that, maybe like July.

And no, not a chance an announcement for Wednesday.

morlium
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 25, 2003, 03:48 PM

Furthermore, why would they have to speed bump the 15"? I'm guessing if they told you a 17" was on the way in December, you would have been here saying the 17" would certainly have to be released at something faster than 1GHz, right? Either way, they could release a new 15" at 1GHz and the World would keep turning, it really isn't a big deal. Give me a compelling reason why they couldn't?
The appeal of the 17" is not about processor speed. The 15", however, would need to improve on one of two designs (Ti or Al), both of which are stuck at 1 GHz for the time being.

Introducing a 15" with a different body and the same specs would be idiotic, especially since we've yet to see a functional 17".

skyman
Mac Elite
Feb 25, 2003, 03:59 PM

You are good a slapping butts, but apparently can't defend your opinions without help.
I am not going to spoon feed you the information. If you are to lazy to read the threads that have discussed this issue in painful detail then that's your problem.

skyman
Mac Elite
Feb 25, 2003, 04:06 PM

Introducing a 15" with a different body and the same specs would be idiotic, especially since we've yet to see a functional 17".
Exactly!

As I have stated numerous times, that is why there will be NO new 15" PowerBook until the 17" has started to ship in quantity and even then it may be weeks or months until we see a revised 15". A 15" PowerBook with the same specs as the 17" makes no sense.

doyouflip
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 25, 2003, 05:08 PM

A lot of people are supporting their arguments with statements that I'm not entirely sure are true. Perhaps I'm missing something. Anyway...

1) Some people ask why Apple would trump the "flagship" 17". At what point did Apple say the 17" was its flagship? Again, they may have and I just missed the boat.

2) Does the largest screen necessarily have to be the best offering? I doubt Apple is planning on selling more 23" flat panels than they are 17s or 20s. Also, as we're seeing in these boards, the 17s aren't for everyone. I'm sure Apple still sees the 15s as their PB bread and butter, so a move now may be more along the lines of keeping it competitive and up to par w/the rest of the line.

3) My feeling is that there are various uses for powerbooks and depending on how someone intends to use theirs, a 12", 15" or 17" screen would be most appropriate. Perhaps that's the only differentiator a person needs. The price difference MAY be worth it to people who feel they need the full 17" to fit the way they'd use it. Then again...w/Apple's other product lines there were other differentiators such as RAM, processor speed, HD, etc. so I see where you're coming from. I'm just wondering if the same model necessarily applies to laptops.

Thoughts?

Daniel Bayer
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 25, 2003, 05:31 PM

"I just wish Apple would hurry the hell up and unveil a 15" something.
I really wish they had a DVI port on the 12" b/c I'd buy that instantly, but it doesn't."

The Ti-15 is proven and great. The Ai 15 does not yet exsist...."tee-hee, the 17 doesn't seem to either"

I have also noticed that with the failing 17" arrivae dates and 12" issues, the used market for 1GHZ 15's is getting better, fetching higher prices.

I agree with the statement above of regarding the yet to be tested 17.
Not everyone needs one so as far as the "flagship" claim, I think not. Not until it is faster than the current 1ghz ti and has proven itself under all demands and conditions.

It truly amazes me the "I have a small P___s and need to make up for it" thinking in the world.
There are truly pro users of computers in the world...and then there are the tyros who need the top of the line so they can curb insecurity...for awhile.

Would I kick my new ti-1ghz to the curb for a 1.2 processor and just a few other new gadgets to lose a grand?? Nope! I get a ton of use out my machines and when the speed is about double or triple my current model, I get the new one.

If I had not bought my ti-1,000 in late December and continued to use my 400 as my main rig, then I would wait for the non-exsistent AI15 to prove itself...then get one.

Until it is has been released and we have had about 50 reports on the workings....who gives a fork!!!

Either use what you have got or buy a great ti-1ghz.
"I'll take a extra layer of ram on that
gigaflop sandwich mister"

iChristopher  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 25, 2003, 05:34 PM

It would at a minimum add AirPort extreme, a new case, and perhaps even fancy keys that light up. Oh, and a new display that I would bet is better than anything to date. That's a new product.

morlium
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 25, 2003, 05:34 PM

well, take a look at the iBook line. the difference between the 12" and the 14" is practically nil, save the 2" difference in screen size. the price difference, however, is only $200.

if Apple was to introduce a 15" Al Book with the same features as the 17" for $2799, sales of the latter would plummet, as likely 50% of the preorders would switch to the 15". As I've said before, the other specs would remain the same, so the price would have to as well; Apple will likely not raise the price on a product without an increase in performance.

there is no reason for Apple to make such a lateral movement. their PowerBook line is very nicely rounded out at the moment (though five models is a bit much), and I think we'll see it stay this way for some time. when they are refreshed, it'll likely mirror the iBook line, with the top two having identical processor speeds and similar specs, and a slight ($200-$300) price difference.

however, the price of the 17" needs to drop before this can happen (and it will, by the year's end), faster processors need to be released, and inventory needs to be drained. it's just common sense.

[and flagship simply means "the most important one of a group." I think the 17" more than applies here.]

iChristopher  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 25, 2003, 05:35 PM

I am not going to spoon feed you the information. If you are to lazy to read the threads that have discussed this issue in painful detail then that's your problem.
Whatever you say, Captain Insane-O.

iChristopher  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 25, 2003, 05:43 PM

I guess we will have to agree to disagree on this point.

I firmly believe the 15" will show-up in the new case, with a new display. The only question is when, and I think sooner rather than later.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Feb 25, 2003, 05:46 PM

I guess we will have to agree to disagree on this point.

I firmly believe the 15" will show-up in the new case, with a new display. The only question is when, and I think sooner rather than later.
OK we'll disagree then. I'd have to agree with the other posters here. It would make little sense for Apple to release the 15" AluBook 1 GHz (except as a lower end model of the 15" AluBook).

We won't see one shipping even by the end of April.

And don't forget that one reason for the existence of the TiBook is OS 9 bootability.

It would at a minimum add AirPort extreme, a new case, and perhaps even fancy keys that light up. Oh, and a new display that I would bet is better than anything to date. That's a new product.
Airport Extreme? Desirable yes. Keys that light up? Cool, but a complete gimmick. As for the display, I hope you're aware that most info is that the new 15.4" screen will have a LOWER resolution than the current 15.2" TiBook. TiBook: 1280x854. 15" AluBook: likely 1280x800 (16:10)
( Last edited by Eug; Feb 25, 2003 at 05:54 PM. )

morlium
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 25, 2003, 06:14 PM

Originally posted by Eug:

Airport Extreme? Desirable yes. Keys that light up? Cool, but a complete gimmick. As for the display, I hope you're aware that most info is that the new 15.4" screen will have a LOWER resolution than the current 15.2" TiBook. TiBook: 1280x854. 15" AluBook: likely 1280x800 (16:10)
And that, in itself, does not warrant a new product. The 15" will be refreshed with the rest of the PowerBook line, probably in the late fall/early winter 2003.

todrain
Senior User
Feb 25, 2003, 09:27 PM

And that, in itself, does not warrant a new product. The 15" will be refreshed with the rest of the PowerBook line, probably in the late fall/early winter 2003.
I agree that Apple won't release a new 15" unti after the 17" ships, but late fall is too long a period... May-June will probably be the timeframe.

Patcarla
Mac Elite
Feb 25, 2003, 10:57 PM

No way. They won't wait till november 2003 to refresh the PB line That would means one entire year without updating the 15"! I don't think so..

mrtew
Professional Poster
Feb 25, 2003, 10:58 PM

If I hear that thing about clearing the channels of old stock one more time I am going to jump! Apple computers are made the same day they are shipped and then are recieved by the buyer three days later. Even the ones in stores only sit there for a couple of days. There are no warehouses of old TiBooks waiting to be sold off before new models can be released. People complain all the time that Apple releases new models too fast, and they don't give a warning of new models being released. Now they given a 3 month warning about the 17" models being released and they've gone three months without a PB update and everyone is still complaining. Geez!

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

Amorph
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 25, 2003, 11:31 PM

Originally posted by mrtew:
If I hear that thing about clearing the channels of old stock one more time I am going to jump! Apple computers are made the same day they are shipped and then are recieved by the buyer three days later.
Unfortunately, the buyer in many cases is a big distributor like Ingram Micro, and a machine can in fact sit in their warehouses for a while before a reseller buys it from them to sell through a catalog (in which case it sits in another warehouse for a while) or somewhere in a retail outlet (possibly another warehouse!).

If you check any of Apple's previous quarterly earnings reports, they measure channel inventory in weeks. Direct sales account for a significant chunk of their total, but they sell millions of Macs a year into the channel, and from there it can indeed be 5 or 6 or even 11 weeks before the machines end up in somebody's lap, or on their desk. It's right there in the filings.
James

"I grew up. Then I got better." - Sea Wasp

chazmox
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 26, 2003, 12:14 AM

Apple computers are made the same day they are shipped and then are recieved by the buyer three days later
Sorry can't happen. Apple uses manufacturing in the Far East ( Compal in Taiwan for one ). You could not ship a unit from there to the states and get it in 3 days ( nor would you have the overnight option ). Customs would take a day or so and shipping single units would be prohibitly expensive. Units would we airfreighted over here in mass and stocked. Units that require larger hard drives or more memory would be reworked in the states.

Amorh is right - the channel is weeks thick not days...

Eug
Clinically Insane
Feb 26, 2003, 12:33 AM

Originally posted by chazmox:
Sorry can't happen. Apple uses manufacturing in the Far East ( Compal in Taiwan for one ). You could not ship a unit from there to the states and get it in 3 days ( nor would you have the overnight option ). Customs would take a day or so and shipping single units would be prohibitly expensive. Units would we airfreighted over here in mass and stocked. Units that require larger hard drives or more memory would be reworked in the states.

Amorh is right - the channel is weeks thick not days...
Heh. Sounds good... but not true. Many of the TiBooks on this forum were tracked from Taipei directly to the owners doors. Often not in 3 days, but definitely within a 5-day week (depending on where in North America the purchaser lived). That's including clearing customs.

If I hear that thing about clearing the channels of old stock one more time I am going to jump! Apple computers are made the same day they are shipped and then are recieved by the buyer three days later.
Of course, the concept that the "computer is made that day" isn't quite true either. Even if you're not getting a stocked computer and are getting a newly made one, the parts still have to come from somewhere. There must be a stock on hand of trackpads, shells, screens, motherboards, etc., that cannot be used for other machines obviously.

DVD Plaza
Senior User
Feb 26, 2003, 01:48 AM

what difference does it make when it comes out?
I don't think you know what you're talking about if you're asking that question - it makes a HELL of a difference from a marketing point of view.

Have you forgotten the 12" and 17" PowerBooks are ENTIRELY NEW PRODUCTS - they did not exist before! By releasing those two machines in the "all new all cool all super duper state of the art PowerBook" design you've given good, damn good, reason for people to consider buying them: If you want to all-new super-duper version of the PowerBook, you MUST buy one of the two new models. It's that simple.

AFTER the superior 12" and 17" models are available, THEN the new 15" will released. Not before.

From a marketing point of view, it makes a VERY VERY VERY big difference when the new 15" is released.

iChristopher  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 26, 2003, 01:58 AM

So the new 15" would be a NEW PRODUCT TOO! So what if there are 3 instead of 2?????? They want to sell ALL of them, right? If the 15" takes sales away from the 17", then there is a good chance it will always do so. Perhaps the 17" won't be viable? Who's to say? Cripes...

I guess they should PULL ALL MACS except the new PowerBooks, that way they won't eat into the 12" and 17" sales.

Originally posted by DVD Plaza:
I don't think you know what you're talking about if you're asking that question - it makes a HELL of a difference from a marketing point of view.

Have you forgotten the 12" and 17" PowerBooks are ENTIRELY NEW PRODUCTS - they did not exist before! By releasing those two machines in the "all new all cool all super duper state of the art PowerBook" design you've given good, damn good, reason for people to consider buying them: If you want to all-new super-duper version of the PowerBook, you MUST buy one of the two new models. It's that simple.

AFTER the superior 12" and 17" models are available, THEN the new 15" will released. Not before.

From a marketing point of view, it makes a VERY VERY VERY big difference when the new 15" is released.

John123
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 26, 2003, 02:42 AM

So the new 15" would be a NEW PRODUCT TOO! So what if there are 3 instead of 2?????? They want to sell ALL of them, right? If the 15" takes sales away from the 17", then there is a good chance it will always do so. Perhaps the 17" won't be viable? Who's to say? Cripes...

I guess they should PULL ALL MACS except the new PowerBooks, that way they won't eat into the 12" and 17" sales.
Look dude. There is some number "X" of people right now who have orders in for a 17" PB. They have these orders in not because they really want a 17" screen, but because they want the newest bad boy, the flagship, the aluminum, the flying saucer lights...whatever.

Obviously and intuitively, Apple's profit margin is going to be highest on the 17" model.

If they were to release a 15" model now and price it competitively, it would take some number "N" of those X users away from the high profit margin 17" sales. That's bad business.

In addition, the notion that there are lots of people waiting for an updated 15" is kind of silly. Let's face it -- those of us on this board are a bunch of dorks. Many people buy a computer because they need it and don't obsess about little features or changes like the rest of us do.

DVD Plaza
Senior User
Feb 26, 2003, 03:54 AM

So the new 15" would be a NEW PRODUCT TOO!
There have been 15" PowerBook's for YEARS.

If the 15" takes sales away from the 17", then there is a good chance it will always do so. Perhaps the 17" won't be viable? Who's to say? Cripes... I guess they should PULL ALL MACS except the new PowerBooks, that way they won't eat into the 12" and 17" sales.
As I said you don't understand marketing - so make childish remarks it won't change anything.

I understand why it would be frustrating for people wanting the 15" and it is annoying that this two-part release will probably mean the three PowerBook's will always be upgraded out-of-sync for a while, but I also completely understand why it was important for Apple to do it this way.

They did, after all, release a revised 15" in November to get that model by for a while - can't complain about that.

morlium
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 26, 2003, 10:19 AM

...and since when is the 15" Ti Book an inferior model?

skyman
Mac Elite
Feb 26, 2003, 11:17 AM

Hey iChristopher, give it a rest. You obviously have no clue as to what you are talking about. Your statements make no business sense, or any sense for that matter.

You really need to stop obsessing over this.

DVD Plaza
Senior User
Feb 26, 2003, 05:50 PM

...and since when is the 15" Ti Book an inferior model?
Since Apple came up with a superior model (aluminium casing, new hinge, bluetooth built-in, backlit keyboard, etc, etc...) - nobody has ever said this suddenly makes the 15" any less usable, simply that it's been redesigned just like a new model car, etc.

AxelFonze
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 26, 2003, 06:09 PM

Apple update the 15 for a while because if they did the new one wouldn't boot in 9. Some of us need OS9 still, because for one, there is still a lack of fully functional recording/sequencing apps for OSX. Logic is OSX now, but you still need OS9 for full functionality. Protools is OSX compatible now, but it's only compatible with certain hardware, and thus doesn't suit the needs of a great many audio professionals and students. Apple has ruled this market for a long time and a move to make all currently available powerbooks OSX only would be a slap in the face of the music industry. While Apple should concentrate on getting more and more people to switch, they should also respect the needs of one of their long-time loyal groups of customers.
"Somebody set us up the bomb"

todrain
Senior User
Feb 26, 2003, 11:52 PM

Apple updated the PowerMacs - and the new ones don't boot into OS 9! (they kept one of the old configs. around to "help" the late adopters.) I doubt that that's the reason for no new Powerbook 15" models. I think that they can't come out with a new 15 before the 17 ships. Say that they lose 5,000 people to the new high end 15 that would have bought the 17 - if prices from today remain that's $2.5 milion dollars in revenue that they lost.

With the 17" delays it looks like May.

riverfreak
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 26, 2003, 11:59 PM

Originally posted by masternew:
I've been out of the rumor scene for a few weeks. I've been considering the 17" PB, but all this is news to me. Apple is coming out with a 15' Powerbook? Holy cow, that sounds awesome! I could set it up in my back yard and watch movies on it! I could charge admission - it could be the world's first portable drive-in theater.

All I can say is, it better have dual USB 2.0 and FOUR firewire 800 ports or Apple can just kiss the sale goodbye.

John123
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 27, 2003, 03:34 AM

Originally posted by DVD Plaza:
Since Apple came up with a superior model (aluminium casing, new hinge, bluetooth built-in, backlit keyboard, etc, etc...) - nobody has ever said this suddenly makes the 15" any less usable, simply that it's been redesigned just like a new model car, etc.
Remains to be seen whether aluminum really is better. If the latches on the 12" models are any indication, maybe the old design was better.

The new hinge is a downgrade. Having two hinges is better than one as it puts less stress on the hinges themselves.

Backlit keyboard is a gimmick.

And you can get a USB bluetooth dongle.

I'll keep mine, with its OS 9 bootability and its ATI graphics card and its (rumored) extra 54 vertical pixels, thank you very much.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Feb 27, 2003, 05:43 AM

Originally posted by riverfreak:
All I can say is, it better have dual USB 2.0 and FOUR firewire 800 ports or Apple can just kiss the sale goodbye.
I hate to disappoint you, but I don't think either USB2 or 4 FW800 ports will make it. USB2 for obvious reasons and four FW800 ports on a notebook doesn't make much sense when the power users' towers only get one...

But, I don't think only having USB 1.1 and one FW800 port will cause Apple to lose any sales at all...

Eug
Clinically Insane
Feb 27, 2003, 05:18 PM

Originally posted by John123:
Remains to be seen whether aluminum really is better. If the latches on the 12" models are any indication, maybe the old design was better.

The new hinge is a downgrade. Having two hinges is better than one as it puts less stress on the hinges themselves.

Backlit keyboard is a gimmick.

And you can get a USB bluetooth dongle.

I'll keep mine, with its OS 9 bootability and its ATI graphics card and its (rumored) extra 54 vertical pixels, thank you very much.
Actually, I didn't mind the hinge per se on my old iBook, What I found irritating though was having the ports on the side. I prefer them at the back. The one port I don't like though on the TiBook is the network port. Hard to get at because of the overlapping screen.

Patcarla
Mac Elite
Feb 27, 2003, 06:16 PM

Originally posted by Eug:
Actually, I didn't mind the hinge per se on my old iBook, What I found irritating though was having the ports on the side. I prefer them at the back. The one port I don't like though on the TiBook is the network port. Hard to get at because of the overlapping screen.
Yep. Completely agree with you there..very irritating...

Forum Links
Forum Rules