Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 17" PowerBook Ship Date "Pool"

17" PowerBook Ship Date "Pool"
iChristopher
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 24, 2003, 09:31 PM

I thought it might be fun to have a "pool", and see who can guess the actual ship date of the new, much anticipated 17" PowerBook.

One guess per person please. You are guessing the date that the first 17" ships, or the first day a consumer walks out of a retail store with one (whichever comes first).

Winners get nothing but the respect and admiration of the Mac community. If you think this pool is stupid (and I'm sure some of you will freak out, call me names, write your Senators), allow me to respond in advance - shut up, I don't care.

I predict... March 17. I hope it's this week, but that's my prediction and I'm sticking with it.
TiBook 667 DVI - 20" Cinema Display - 20GB iPod

exodar
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 24, 2003, 09:33 PM

Feb. 28th

What can I say...I'm an optimist

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Feb 24, 2003, 09:37 PM

Great post!

If I had to pick a range, I'd say between March 10-17.

If I had to pick a single day, I'm betting on March 17th as well...just seems like a nice happy medium between initial expected dates and the worst possible shipment dates.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

cwasko
Senior User
Feb 24, 2003, 09:39 PM

I'm thinking March 5th.

mgehman
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 24, 2003, 09:40 PM

You guys have obviously never watched the price is right. I pick March 16th
"The day Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck is probably the day they start making vacuum cleaners."
- Ernst Jan Plugge
MacBook Pro 2.33GHzDC 3GB RAM

crazyEric
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 24, 2003, 09:54 PM

"On or before 3/20/03"

iChristopher  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 24, 2003, 10:33 PM

Originally posted by crazyEric:
"On or before 3/20/03"
Eric must work for Apple.

Sorry, gotta pick a date, "or before" doesn't count!

Patcarla
Mac Elite
Feb 24, 2003, 10:49 PM

Cool post You took march 17th.. ( st Patrick's day...my day..) I'll go for ...March 10th..
Powerbook 1.67ghz 15" (100GB HD, 128MB VRAM, 1.5GB RAM)

Over Achiever
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 24, 2003, 10:57 PM

Saturday March 1st. That better be when I get mine
"It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you got."

crazyEric
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 24, 2003, 11:04 PM

Originally posted by iChristopher:
Sorry, gotta pick a date, "or before" doesn't count!
Ok, Ok. I'll pick one.

Originally posted by mgehman:
You guys have obviously never watched the price is right.
ONE DOLLAR BOB!!!! ONE DOLLAR!!!!

Ok, seriously, 2/27. I'm very hopeful!

ARENA
Mac Elite
Feb 24, 2003, 11:09 PM

March 15.
Anyway, i'm happy i got my SuperBook, i would be insane waiting for the 17".

macxtal
Feb 25, 2003, 12:00 AM

April 1. Someone had to say it.

chazmox
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 25, 2003, 12:15 AM

I think a small quantity may have already shipped. I was in the Apple store in Plano, Tx. and one the guys working ( don't remember his name - but I usually don't! ) there said that a guy had actually brought his in for his 10% day off. He said that is the only one he's seen ( except for the one they have on the pedestal in front. I was kind of increduous and really questioned him on it - he said that the guy ordered on the Keynote and lives somewhere in OK.

I don't know if I believe him or not - but I really don't see why he would lie. However, the one in the store was not on and there was a claim that the power supply had been stolen so they were leaving it off. I DON'T believe that story - I think there's some other reason that it was turned off - maybe having to do with the current shipping problems.

Oh well, I know it's second hand, second hand info, so take it as thy will...

HvyMtlMdns
Forum Regular
Feb 25, 2003, 12:20 AM

March 4th Yeah, I'm an optimist. But hey, you never know.
MacMini 2.0 Ghz C2D/160GB/2GB RAM/8x Dual-Layer SD/3X 1 TB Ext HDs; iMac C2D 20" 2.66 GHz/320GB/2GB RAM/8x Dual-Layer SD/20" Display with external 20" Apple Cinema Display; PB G4 1.67 GHz 17"/250GB/1 GB RAM/8x Dual-Layer SD; 5G iPod Classic 160GB; 2G iPod Shuffle; AppleTV

iChristopher  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 25, 2003, 02:05 AM

So your prediction is "Already shipped"?

Originally posted by chazmox:
I think a small quantity may have already shipped. I was in the Apple store in Plano, Tx. and one the guys working ( don't remember his name - but I usually don't! ) there said that a guy had actually brought his in for his 10% day off. He said that is the only one he's seen ( except for the one they have on the pedestal in front. I was kind of increduous and really questioned him on it - he said that the guy ordered on the Keynote and lives somewhere in OK.

I don't know if I believe him or not - but I really don't see why he would lie. However, the one in the store was not on and there was a claim that the power supply had been stolen so they were leaving it off. I DON'T believe that story - I think there's some other reason that it was turned off - maybe having to do with the current shipping problems.

Oh well, I know it's second hand, second hand info, so take it as thy will...

badnewsblair
Senior User
Feb 25, 2003, 02:55 AM

March 3rd. Three is my favorite number.

Though I am hoping it's "already shipped".

I am sticking to my "Apple is padding the date" theory, not for any real reason other than my hope.
[ 15 inch Macbook Pro 2.8 GHz Core 2 Duo ][ 20 inch Intel iMac 2 GB RAM / 256 MB ATI XT 1600 ][ iPhone OG (3GS on Reservation)][ White iPod 5th Gen. 60GB ]

ikelley
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 25, 2003, 02:58 AM

I'm gonna have to say 3/3/3. It's the first monday of March, and it's three 3's. One could not pick a cooler day to ship the sweetist powerbook to date!
I ordered mine a few hours after the keynote and the OrderStatus still indicates on or before 3/21/03. Unfortunately I'll be in Costa Rica on spring break so I hope it ships before I go. Otherwise it will probably sit @ fedex for a couple of weeks!

hoping for 3's,
-Kelley

Arch.
Forum Regular
Feb 25, 2003, 04:54 AM

3/18....I hope.

chazmox
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 25, 2003, 11:08 AM

So your prediction is "Already shipped"?
Well, let me whus out on that a little. I don't necessarily trust the guy at the Apple store, but neither did he seem like he was lying. From the data I have ( which is only that he has seen one and then the forums posting a delay in shipping), it would seem that a small quantity has shipped before whatever issue is currently holding production up was found.

Another interesting note - MacZone is offering a promotion ont the 17". Buy one and get a free Airport Extreme basestation. Why would they be promoting a product that has a open ended delay?

So my guess is that a small ( 10 or 20 ) has shipped.

morlium
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 25, 2003, 11:36 AM

3/18, exactly 10 weeks after the announcement.

there's no doubt in my mind.
Michael Simon, Executive Editor
Collar and Carapace Press

drainyoo
Senior User
Feb 25, 2003, 11:37 AM

Originally posted by iChristopher:
I thought it might be fun to have a "pool", and see who can guess the actual ship date of the new, much anticipated 17" PowerBook.

One guess per person please. You are guessing the date that the first 17" ships, or the first day a consumer walks out of a retail store with one (whichever comes first).

Winners get nothing but the respect and admiration of the Mac community. If you think this pool is stupid (and I'm sure some of you will freak out, call me names, write your Senators), allow me to respond in advance - shut up, I don't care.

I predict... March 17. I hope it's this week, but that's my prediction and I'm sticking with it.
HAHA you rock!

Since everyone is picking the day of my birthday, I guess Ill pick that one as well.

So my guess is March 17! If im right that would be a great day!
i hate project managers.

HvyMtlMdns
Forum Regular
Feb 25, 2003, 12:57 PM

Here's wishing it DOESN'T come on my birthday! - April 10th.
MacMini 2.0 Ghz C2D/160GB/2GB RAM/8x Dual-Layer SD/3X 1 TB Ext HDs; iMac C2D 20" 2.66 GHz/320GB/2GB RAM/8x Dual-Layer SD/20" Display with external 20" Apple Cinema Display; PB G4 1.67 GHz 17"/250GB/1 GB RAM/8x Dual-Layer SD; 5G iPod Classic 160GB; 2G iPod Shuffle; AppleTV

nikescream
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 25, 2003, 01:42 PM

I have a feeling we'll start seeing them next week...So I pick March 4th.

Nike

Mac Zealot
Professional Poster
Feb 25, 2003, 02:07 PM

March 17th.
In a realm beyond site, the sky shines gold, not blue, there the Triforce's might makes mortal dreams come true.

Dougmc
Forum Regular
Feb 25, 2003, 02:35 PM

I'm going to go with March 10.

Since I never win anything, I guess I should be thankful that I've put my cash down on one of these machines rather than taking it to Vegas?

babble
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 25, 2003, 03:01 PM

June 15th

iChristopher  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 25, 2003, 05:45 PM

Originally posted by babble:
June 15th
That would suck.

DVD Plaza
Senior User
Feb 25, 2003, 06:42 PM

2004 - the 17" announcement was purely to guage interest. Since there has been a massive response they are now madly creating the production line

Seriously though, I'm thinking next week...

swsteckly
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 3, 2003, 03:07 AM

Late next week. MacMall told me that they had received 11 early last week.....

Lord Zulac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 3, 2003, 03:22 AM

3/20/04... oops 3/20/03

DVD Plaza
Senior User
Mar 3, 2003, 04:00 AM

Run my Apple Centre today - they don't have a firm date, just that it could be this week or next week.

Yeah no worries, not like Apple should give some feedback or anything - only been waiting two months (not to mention out of pocket $6000 for four months due to my 17" being a replacement for DOA 15").

pamelaubeda
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 3, 2003, 04:22 AM

I'm going to take 03 20 03 That's my third wedding anniversary as well as the first day of spring (or the last day of winter..depends on the year) So it has to be that day...things happen in three's right

Pamela

*come on baby...mama needs a new mac!*
switcher...if/when I ever get my powerbook.

Over Achiever
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 3, 2003, 09:55 AM

It seems that my guess of 3/1 is incorrect. However, I have reason to believe that someone will get one THIS week, and hopefully I will get mine THIS weekend.

This is from a source I don't trust completely, but it's better than nothing.
"It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you got."

Simon X
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 3, 2003, 10:33 AM

I think they'll be out soon as Apple UK are running the TV ads often.

badnewsblair
Senior User
Mar 4, 2003, 12:14 AM

Who knows? What makes you htink that the commercial playing is an indication of shipping? They've been playing the commercial here since the darn Super Bowl.

Sorry, mad cause' I lost the pool. My date was March 3rd... and no one has one today, so I loose...

The started of this thread needs to keep an eye out and tell us ALL when the definite first 17 PB ships! You hear that!?
[ 15 inch Macbook Pro 2.8 GHz Core 2 Duo ][ 20 inch Intel iMac 2 GB RAM / 256 MB ATI XT 1600 ][ iPhone OG (3GS on Reservation)][ White iPod 5th Gen. 60GB ]

chrisutley
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 4, 2003, 12:39 AM

March 17 seems like a pretty good date. Gosh I hope it's before April.
MacBook and iMac Core 2 Duo 24"

DVD Plaza
Senior User
Mar 4, 2003, 12:57 AM

I hope it's before the next bloody model is due, or even Christmas for that matter!

swsteckly
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 4, 2003, 01:38 AM

Someone claims that their MacMall rep is giving them a shipping date of Friday, March 8. I called my account rep there, and he was supposed to receive 'detailed information' on updated shipping status today, but never did. he asked me to call him tomorrow afternoon for more info.

www.powerbookcentral.com

badnewsblair
Senior User
Mar 4, 2003, 01:46 AM

<i>Okay, I know this is a selfish qustion to post, but I'm not accustommed to Apple shipping standards or shipping anything really (of this size).</i>

With all of these reports/rumors that the 17-inch might be shipping within 3-5 weeks (March 8th maybe according to "swsteckly" perhaps).. say that this is true and they are going to ship say... March 8th, how does that affect my shipping date?

I'm late onto the ordering status (placed Feb 19th, on or before is 4.30.03) so I'm not sure if that will even touch my date at all?

What do you think?

cwasko
Senior User
Mar 4, 2003, 02:04 AM

Originally posted by badnewsblair:
What do you think?
Well, I got one on order... but if an Apple Store within 2 states of me gets one.. I'm taking a drive... I noticed that the Online Store now says 3-5 weeks for new orders. Looks like the date is becoming convergent on a 'late March'.

badnewsblair
Senior User
Mar 4, 2003, 02:06 AM

Cwasko, when did you order yours? What is your on or before date? Just gauging for myself so I know where I'll be when this thing ships (and because I don' think I can wait till April 30th!).

swsteckly
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 4, 2003, 02:11 AM

I think once that they start shipping, orders will fill at a pretty fast clip. If apple starts shipping in quantity next week (my guess) you should have yours by the end of March easily.

Just specualtion, though.....

badnewsblair
Senior User
Mar 4, 2003, 02:13 AM

Thank you! Anyone else?

Simon X
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 4, 2003, 04:41 AM

Who knows? What makes you htink that the commercial playing is an indication of shipping? They've been playing the commercial here since the darn Super Bowl.
Because they hardly ever run any commercials here in the UK other than the run up to Xmas.

cwasko
Senior User
Mar 4, 2003, 10:05 AM

Cwasko, when did you order yours? What is your on or before date? Just gauging for myself so I know where I'll be when this thing ships (and because I don' think I can wait till April 30th!).
There actualy is an interesting story to my order. I first ordered it on Janu 8, at 9:30 AM PST. My on or before date was 3/21/2003. However, after I ordered, I had a few sudden changes in my life and I moved from CT to VA - so I had to change my shipping address. Since my AppleCare package had already shipped, they could not update my shipping information and I had to cancel my order. So, now, my on or before date is 4/4/2003, with the earliest being 3/21/2003 (ironically enough). So, the moral to the story is, on Apple's website when ordering, make sure to select the 'Ship items together' on the finla confirmation page. If I had did that, I would have been able to change the shipping information and not disturb the original order. I argued for a long time on that one.

But, there are 2 AppleStores within close proximity to me here - so if one is in... I'll be all over it. Additionaly, my job is flexible enough such that I can just jump ship to attempt to get one.

badnewsblair
Senior User
Mar 4, 2003, 10:22 AM

You're in Virignia, eh? As am I. Fairfax to be exact. I have friends at the two Apple Stores near me. I'll let you know if I get advanced warning if they come in there. Thanks.

cwasko
Senior User
Mar 4, 2003, 11:26 AM

You're in Virignia, eh? As am I. Fairfax to be exact. I have friends at the two Apple Stores near me. I'll let you know if I get advanced warning if they come in there. Thanks.
Excellent. Yea I'm living in McLean and work in Manassas. Any word on availability would be very kewl and much appreciated!

badnewsblair
Senior User
Mar 4, 2003, 05:47 PM

No problem! I have them both on high alert (hehehe) so when they come in, I'll let you know.

doyouflip
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 4, 2003, 05:54 PM

I haven't personally called to verify (don't you hate that), but for what it's worth there's a thread on Macrumors saying MacMall received shipment.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthre...threadid=21450

My on or before is 4/1, so here's hoping!

DVD Plaza
Senior User
Mar 11, 2003, 12:28 AM

I'm in Sydney at the moment so I popped into an AppleCentre here to see what their estimated time is - they reckon 1-2 weeks.

How can something be coming in 1-2 weeks for two months?!?!?

Forum Links
Forum Rules