Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Real Quick Post: 17" whining!

Real Quick Post: 17" whining!
badnewsblair
Senior User
Feb 27, 2003, 03:11 AM

Okay, I am new here and I know that I risk certain flaming for this post that I am about to put forth, but I think it needs to be said. Someone needs to settle it. So here goes...

Alright, first and foremost, I have a 17-incher on order now and my "on or before" date is April 30th! I know the pain and suffering going on right now among us, the future owners of Apple's Flagship of Portables! However, it seems a lot of you guys are talking bad about Apple. As if they'd take our money and decide to do crafty business! I don't even own a Mac yet, and I am quite happy with how Apple runs business.

True. They are a business just like Microsoft and whatnot, but they cater to a very vocal and loyal community of users. When I see that community turn their backs on Apple because of delayed shipping (which, by the way for everyone reading, hasn't even happened yet!), it gets me thinking about what I am getting into.

It's become sort of a feeding frenzy on this board about why Apple is screwing us over. But they must have a reason for the delay... or the talks of delays, since technically the 17-inch is still on time for as far as we know! In my personal opinion, if the 17s end up being late by a significant amount of time, the reason will be because of product defects. They don't want a frezy the size of the one when the 12" started coming apart (thought that was marginal to say the most)!

I think it was user "cwasko" that first said he'd rather have a late quality product than one riddled with defects. I am in total agreeance!

If it takes all the way to April 30th for my 17-inch beauty to come in, so be it. As long as all of the kinks are worked out. Let's stop using this forum as a whining board and wait and see what the next few weeks (months for me) give us...

(then we can start bitching(
[ 15 inch Macbook Pro 2.8 GHz Core 2 Duo ][ 20 inch Intel iMac 2 GB RAM / 256 MB ATI XT 1600 ][ iPhone OG (3GS on Reservation)][ White iPod 5th Gen. 60GB ]

cwasko
Senior User
Feb 27, 2003, 10:45 AM

Yea, I have to agree. However, I do understand people's frustration. 7-10 weeks is a very long time to wait and if there is going to be a substantial delay on that, then I'm not sure why Apple even bothered to announce it. If I truly do not get mine untill late April, I will actualy be kinda bummed out. If I knew it was going to be that long in January, I would have bought the 15". But, at this point, I feel that I'm commited and I'm going to just wait for the 17" to be released. LOL... every AppleStore within 2 states of me is going to be bludgened with phone calls by me when these thigns start to ship.

cambro
Senior User
Feb 27, 2003, 12:07 PM

Apple should never have announced the 17" PB in January, or at least they should not have begun taking orders. The whole thing was a PR disaster waiting to happen. What did they gain by announcing a product two+ months before shipping??

Maybe Apple should annouce the G5 now...it's bound to ship sometime, maybe even before 2004....

Daniel Bayer
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 27, 2003, 12:19 PM

"Bap-badda-daa"......."the future owners of Apple's Flagship of Portables!"

Whateversville badnewblair.

Just because it is a 17 and not a 15 you think it is a flagship?? Your cable bill must be HUGE!!!

I think not. Not until it is a good chunk faster than my 1ghz and has proven itself.

What good is a "Flagship" if it is still tied to the dock and hasn't even undergone "Sea trials" in the hands of the general public?

As Scooby-doo would put it...."Ratsa Ruck"

Meanwhile, high in the waves of an Aspen Starbucks...a flag waves proudly from the bow of a powerhouse.....

"I'll take a extra layer of ram on that
gigaflop sandwich mister"

skyman
Mac Elite
Feb 27, 2003, 12:19 PM

I agree!

Why did Apple say the 17" would ship in February when they new they would never make that deadline? Good question.

For those of you who are pissed off at Apple, you need to speak with your wallet and CANCEL your orders! If enough people cancel their $3299 orders, Apple will get the picture.

Stop complaining and CANCEL your orders. Honestly, if you are going to wait another 4 weeks (or more) for the 17" PB then you really DO NOT need a new computer.

skyman
Mac Elite
Feb 27, 2003, 12:27 PM

Originally posted by Daniel Bayer:
"Bap-badda-daa"......."the future owners of Apple's Flagship of Portables!"

Whateversville badnewblair.

Just because it is a 17 and not a 15 you think it is a flagship?? Your cable bill must be HUGE!!!

I think not. Not until it is a good chunk faster than my 1ghz and has proven itself.

What good is a "Flagship" if it is still tied to the dock and hasn't even undergone "Sea trials" in the hands of the general public?

As Scooby-doo would put it...."Ratsa Ruck"

Meanwhile, high in the waves of an Aspen Starbucks...a flag waves proudly from the bow of a powerhouse..
LOL and well said.

While all those people are waiting and waiting and waiting for their 17" PB, I will still be using my new (two week old) 15" 1GHz Ti PowerBook!

If you want (I mean need) the "flagship" PowerBook then buy the 15" 1GHz Ti. You can have it tomorrow via FED EX. Or you can wait and wait and wait and wait and wait for your 17" PowerBook.
( Last edited by skyman; Feb 27, 2003 at 01:20 PM. )

pmacster
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 27, 2003, 12:54 PM

(7-10 weeks) Seems like a pretty clear indication of shipping time to me. 3/18 is 10 weeks. Only those that ordered on day 1 should complain if it's not at their doorstep by then. As for announcing products early; apple can better guage product demand, which will ultimately keep product costs down. What would happen if apple prebuilt 20,000 17" pbs and only sold 5,000. Lots of inventory means lots of losses or less profit. Estimating consumer demand is not easy. How many of you thought the cube looked cool, and ultimately didn't buy it?
-pmacster-

Flowbee
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 27, 2003, 01:06 PM

Originally posted by skyman:
I agree!

Honestly, if you are going to wait another 4 weeks (or more) for the 17" PB then you really DO NOT need a new computer.
I'm not sure I understand this logic. If you really need a new computer TODAY, obviously the 17" PB is not a good choice. The shipping estimate has always been 7-10 weeks. If you didn't want to wait 10 weeks, you shouldn't have ordered it.

Hell, all three Lord of the Rings movies were shot at the same time, yet they make us wait a year between each release. Now THAT'S what I call an outrage!

MrK
Forum Regular
Feb 27, 2003, 01:16 PM

I had to wait an extra 2 days for my 12" PB. Wah, wah, wah and woe is me. I personally consider it the flagship of Apples portable line as it is the most PORTABLE fo all their computers. But one man's flagship is another's tugboat. Whatever.

As far as the 17" delays, I'd think the whining that is going on is just to drastic. A bunch of instant gratifcation losers who can't wait a month or two after first seeing something to when they get it? I had to wait 7 freaking months for my Mini Cooper S and that was already a year after they had first shown it at a car show. But it is an AWSOME car and I wouldn't trade it for any other. Save your whining for when you find out your $3300 computer has a major defect.

iChristopher
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 27, 2003, 02:41 PM

I don't know what happened to the Mods around here, but this entire thread should be closed or at least moved. Will these stupid pissing contests ever stop?

Honestly, if you are going to wait another 4 weeks (or more) for the 17" PB then you really DO NOT need a new computer.
TiBook 667 DVI - 20" Cinema Display - 20GB iPod

Daniel Bayer
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 27, 2003, 02:58 PM

Christo, no mods needed.

There is a valid point to be made here on both sides.

Several folks want, need and don't have there product. Point taken.

Several rebuttles encompass the whole "Lemming" phenomenon of jumping off the diving board before the pool is even full..........BONK!!.....I got uh Owee!!

No mods in sight, none needed, eh?

.....Ooops! I see some yellow snow....Musta bin da potty dance....
( Last edited by Daniel Bayer; Feb 27, 2003 at 03:07 PM. )

ghost_flash
Professional Poster
Feb 27, 2003, 03:04 PM

Ok, here it goes.

I am in agreement with the whiners here, and I'll explain why.

1. When I turned in my Brand new Tipbook, and took a 10% restocking fee, and forgone my $40 double-your-ram deal and educational discount, I was told by the Store manager that my computer would (17") arrive at the latest the second week of February!

2. I don't appreciate being lied to and paying for the privelege.

3. My new deivery date is on or before April 2nd!
That is a far cry from Mid-February.

I would not really mind this at all, if it weren't for my needing a computer for school, as it is all on-line, so now I have to go to the library and use their computers and deal with a bunch of a-holes like the guy who reeked of alcohol that sat next to me, and the punks who were driving me insane....

Otherwise, I'd be cool, as most people probably should be, but I can see where other's would be in my position, and not like it.

:O)

-M

bbales
Mac Elite
Feb 27, 2003, 03:08 PM

quote:Honestly, if you are going to wait another 4 weeks (or more) for the 17" PB then you really DO NOT need a new computer.

I would take issue with that. I knew as soon as I went to OSX a year ago that I would -- sooner, rather than later -- need a new laptop, b/c the old one (3400) wouldn't run X. It became quite a hassle swapping versions, etc. But I didn't buy a new one because we really coulnd't afford one. The need became more pronounced -- especially during school vacations when I really could have used the ability to work elsewhere other than my basement -- but again I waited, hoping for what I really wanted -- an ibook with a G4 processor. So you can imagine how pleased I was with the Keynote address! Then I waited again, for delivery of a 12-in PB to an Apple store so I could, as a friend of mine said, see what I was getting before plunking down 2 grand for it. Then I waited another 3 weeks for delivery. So I NEEDEd a new computer before I got one. But I also knew what my needs and the limits of my wallet were. So I simply had to wait.

These people don't just want or need a new computer. They want the 17-inch, and they're willing to wait. They just wish they'd have known what the actual wait was going to be. (And are the actual wait times different than what were billed at the beginning? I haven't paid that much attention to the 17-inch, simply because I was focused on my own computer.)

Beth

drainyoo
Senior User
Feb 27, 2003, 03:59 PM

Originally posted by badnewsblair:
Okay, I am new here and I know that I risk certain flaming for this post that I am about to put forth, but I think it needs to be said. Someone needs to settle it. So here goes...

Alright, first and foremost, I have a 17-incher on order now and my "on or before" date is April 30th! I know the pain and suffering going on right now among us, the future owners of Apple's Flagship of Portables! However, it seems a lot of you guys are talking bad about Apple. As if they'd take our money and decide to do crafty business! I don't even own a Mac yet, and I am quite happy with how Apple runs business.

True. They are a business just like Microsoft and whatnot, but they cater to a very vocal and loyal community of users. When I see that community turn their backs on Apple because of delayed shipping (which, by the way for everyone reading, hasn't even happened yet!), it gets me thinking about what I am getting into.

It's become sort of a feeding frenzy on this board about why Apple is screwing us over. But they must have a reason for the delay... or the talks of delays, since technically the 17-inch is still on time for as far as we know! In my personal opinion, if the 17s end up being late by a significant amount of time, the reason will be because of product defects. They don't want a frezy the size of the one when the 12" started coming apart (thought that was marginal to say the most)!

I think it was user "cwasko" that first said he'd rather have a late quality product than one riddled with defects. I am in total agreeance!

If it takes all the way to April 30th for my 17-inch beauty to come in, so be it. As long as all of the kinks are worked out. Let's stop using this forum as a whining board and wait and see what the next few weeks (months for me) give us...

(then we can start bitching(
I agree with you 100%. A lot of people on this board love to bitch and complain about all the wrong things Apples does. They act so surprised when Apple announces a new product and it doesnt ship that week. Apple has been doing this for years now and its the way they work. Everyone knows that when Apple announces something new that it wont be shipping for at least a few weeks. Its common knowledge, but people here still find the need to complain. It really pisses me off.

If dont want to wait then dont order one. Go by yourself a nice Dell laptop, maybe you will be happy then.
i hate project managers.

badnewsblair  (op)
Senior User
Feb 27, 2003, 04:39 PM

<b>Daniel Bayer</b> I consider it the "Flagship" because it (for one) is the biggest laptop plain and simple. It commands a lot of attention. The features; sure, the 15" have been out for a long time and has a lot of clout with its owners. Heck, I almost got one myself. However, when you compare it to a 17" (even my fellow 15" owner agrees with me on this one) it isnot the top of the line. As far as giving the 17" time to earn it's legs, I agree with you. We shall see what the news bring whne they start arriving, of course I have already gotten the chance to play with one and test it for a good amount of time, so I know what the thing is capable of. When they get display models that everyone can play with, do yourself a favor and go have an hour with it. It will truly impress you. And a little reminder... the 17" comes with a 167 MHz bus. Substantially faster than the 15" and you can tell.

Again, I have the utmost respect for the 15" and even the 12". But there is a reason I ordered the 17" (and it's not <i>just</i> bragging rights. I doa lot of work in 3D and I need a ton of screen real estate and power, which the 17" provides me with. I know I've made the right choice in my decision. That wasn't the point of the original post. I'm disappointed with people thinking Apple is pulling the wool over their eyes just because the 17" isn't in their hands right now. It's not even late yet!

And I have to agree with you Danny boy when you say, "no mods needed.

Several rebuttles encompass the whole "Lemming" phenomenon of jumping off the diving board before the pool is even full..........BONK!!.....I got uh Owee!!

No mods in sight, none needed, eh?"

... and yes, my cable bill is much too high for me!
[ 15 inch Macbook Pro 2.8 GHz Core 2 Duo ][ 20 inch Intel iMac 2 GB RAM / 256 MB ATI XT 1600 ][ iPhone OG (3GS on Reservation)][ White iPod 5th Gen. 60GB ]

skyman
Mac Elite
Feb 27, 2003, 04:53 PM

Originally posted by Daniel Bayer:
Christo, no mods needed.

No mods in sight, none needed, eh?

.....Ooops! I see some yellow snow....Musta bin da potty dance....
iChristopher is just upset because no one ever agrees with him.

iChristopher
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 27, 2003, 05:12 PM

iChristopher is just upset because no one ever agrees with him.
The only thing I'm upset about is that people like YOU figured out how to get on the Internet (damn AOL).

Not too many years ago only smart, well-adjusted people used the Internet, and morons like you spent your time watching sitcoms or shooting at people from clock towers.

Isn't this great? It's like the Wild West these days, no moderators to muck up these idiotic threads.

iChristopher
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 27, 2003, 05:17 PM

Originally posted by badnewsblair:
You've done quite a public service here, god bless you! It really did need to be said, but it took your courage to start this flame war.

I am in total agreeance!
Yeah, you and Fred Durst. OMG!!!

slffl
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 27, 2003, 05:17 PM

I love these whining about whining posts.

mrmister
Mac Elite
Feb 27, 2003, 05:42 PM

Had I ordered one, I'd be whining too--Apple promised a laptop in February. The moment they break that promise, they suck--they can take their lumps. God knows the folks who ordered them are taking theirs...if this fvcking thing is a month late or more I'd expect the Attorney General to get involved.

iChristopher
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 27, 2003, 06:37 PM

Originally posted by slffl:
I love these whining about whining posts.
So did you watch sitcoms or shoot at people?

badnewsblair  (op)
Senior User
Feb 27, 2003, 06:40 PM

"So did you watch sitcoms or shoot at people?"

Hahahah!
You got more balls than I ever would. People are rough here! Watch out!

Daniel Bayer
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 27, 2003, 07:06 PM

Cool!! I go snowboard for a few hours and you get all kinds of rowdy.

Blair, as for the 17 flagboat thing, I will giver er' a try when I do see one. I just won't have a chance to check it out until I get to Denver again...something I avoid up here in the mountains.

I too need max screen realestate doing hi-res photoshop work. I also bring my machine everywhere and don't know how a 17 would do on a coach class tray table.

As for the speed, we'll truly know how much faster it is in proccesor intensive tasks when the ball bounces.

As for the tone in my remarks...I am just having fun letting out creative steam...it's my job.

Wer'e all Apple users and that is what it is all about.
( Last edited by Daniel Bayer; Feb 27, 2003 at 07:18 PM. )

badnewsblair  (op)
Senior User
Feb 27, 2003, 07:35 PM

Well, cool. You got to snowboard? The only chance or snowboarding I will get to do is if I need to get to the grocery store. It won't stop friggin' snowing here!

Trust me, when you get a chance to play with the 17" you'll appreciate it. It may not be for you given the "coach class tray" size you're looking for. I personally, need a desktop replacement (as this will be my only Mac... for a while at least) with the portability factor as well (I do alot of work with my partner in crime in coffee shops and on the go). So naturally the 17" is perfect for me.

skyman
Mac Elite
Feb 27, 2003, 10:40 PM

Originally posted by iChristopher:
The only thing I'm upset about is that people like YOU figured out how to get on the Internet (damn AOL).

Not too many years ago only smart, well-adjusted people used the Internet, and morons like you spent your time watching sitcoms or shooting at people from clock towers.

Isn't this great? It's like the Wild West these days, no moderators to muck up these idiotic threads.
iChristopher, did you forget to take your prozac today!

tgrundke
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 27, 2003, 11:00 PM

It's very simple what has happened here. People ordered when they saw "7-10 weeks" and figured, "Dude, there's no way it will be THAT long before it ships. Apple's just trying to cover itself. The PowerBook is BOUND to ship well before that!"

Bzzzzt. Nope. Let's all join hands and repeat: WISHFUL THINKING. 7-10 weeks is legit, though I still don't know why anyone would wait that long for a computer.
Travis L. Grundke
Sapere Aude

iBorg
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 28, 2003, 12:40 AM

Originally posted by mrmister:
Had I ordered one, I'd be whining too--Apple promised a laptop in February. The moment they break that promise, they suck--they can take their lumps. God knows the folks who ordered them are taking theirs...if this fvcking thing is a month late or more I'd expect the Attorney General to get involved.
"Promise???"

I believe that an ordering customer is given an "estimated date of delivery," correct? There's no "promise," certainly no contractual guarantee on delivery date!

"I'd expect the Attorney General to get involved?"

WTF!!!

Sure, it's frustrating to wait, but this is getting ridiculous!!! You whiners need group therapy, or a crop-dusting of Prozac! When the "7-10 weeks" passes, then you'll have the right to pi** & moan! When do you have the right to legal repercussions? Never!!! There are no guarantees on delivery date - if you can't wait, then cancel and buy something else!

SHEESH!!!!!

iBorg

MusicalTone
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 28, 2003, 08:12 AM

I think whatever way you look at it Apple has screwed up in terms of PR and customer service (an area they are not very highly rated on).

They have obviously run into some sort of unforseen production issue/delay (I dont beleive they deliberately announced the 17" knowing it would not arrive until April), which is causing pain to those who ordered - who quite rightly are gonna feed agreived by Apple due to the extended delay. But a company that is on top of its PR/customer service game and not just a money grabber would then offer those customers some form of compensation or sweetner, say the offer of a free laptop case or whatever, or at the very very least come clean that there has been a delay caused by x, y and Z.

Apple users, on the whole, have to be one of the most loyal group of customers out there. They deserve better than this.

Whatever may be going on behind the scenes, Apple's silence vis-a-vis their customers is not cool.

GeneShifter
Feb 28, 2003, 09:00 AM

badnewsblair:

You are an idiot.

You meant to start a flame and you know it.
Doing my part to make MS obsolete. Oh, and the Iraq war is a bogus war.

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 28, 2003, 10:55 AM

What if they held a flame-war and nobody came?

Sadly, that didn't happen here.

Is it too much to ask that you all treat each other with civil tones of voice?

turn the inflammatory speech back a notch.

Thank you.
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

mrmister
Mac Elite
Feb 28, 2003, 01:26 PM

And then iBorg went crazy on me!

He said:

<<<"Promise???"

I believe that an ordering customer is given an "estimated date of delivery," correct? There's no "promise," certainly no contractual guarantee on delivery date!>>>

Actually, I don't care what it says on the silly Apple ordering forms--I know what I saw at the Keynote, and Steve said that the 17" PB ships in February. That's the promise I am referring to, and Apple will have broken it once today is over.

Then I said:

<<<"I'd expect the Attorney General to get involved?"

WTF!!!>>>

You forgot the rest of my post--I said if the 17" was a over a month late, I would expect the AG to get involved. That's April 1st...over a month away.

Then you just got ridiculous.

<<<Sure, it's frustrating to wait, but this is getting ridiculous!!! You whiners need group therapy, or a crop-dusting of Prozac! When the "7-10 weeks" passes, then you'll have the right to pi** & moan! When do you have the right to legal repercussions? Never!!! There are no guarantees on delivery date - if you can't wait, then cancel and buy something else!

SHEESH!!!!!>>>

iBorg, now you're being as silly as these "whiners"...Steve clearly promised PowerBooks in February. They are not available. They have failed.

I doubt very highly that we'll see giant court cases or sh!t like that, but there are guarantees on delivery--companies are supposed to keep their word.

Again, as I said: should the PB 17" not be shipping in March I would expect inquiries from California's AG. "Inquiries" does not mean "giant litigation".

Disclaimer: I'm not waiting for a 17" PB, and have no vested interest in their release date.

davesim
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 28, 2003, 03:10 PM

The only real inquirys that will arise are ones about what the anouncement of the 17 did for apple in the stock market. The only thing that I would imagine if anything happening at all is an investigation into weather or not apple lied about the dates in order to boost consumer confidence. But who the HE-Double Hockey Sticks cares I know I don't. I am very content waiting here patiently for my 17 to arrive.

iBorg
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 28, 2003, 03:48 PM

mrmister,

I didn't "go crazy" on anyone. Your statements were ridiculous, and had to be refuted!

1. There wass no such thing as a "promise," I don't care how you misinterpret SJ's announcements! Delivery dates of a new product are always estimates, and any adult should know this! The new 17"er is no exception, it's been an established track record for years! You "don't care what it says on the silly ordering forms???" How old are you?

2. Expecting some state's "Attorney General to get involved" is just childish! For what reason? Cite me any similar instance of this happening, particularly when no money has been prepaid for these pre-orders!!! (At least in the US - if they do it otherwise in other countries, that has nothing to do with AG's here in the states)

3. Apple hasn't "failed" anything - since announcement, Apple gave a "7-10 weeks" estimate of shipping, which has about almost 3 weeks to go before they're even "late." And until that deadline passes no one has any right to even begin to complain yet! When you ordered, you signed up for this wait as "part of the deal."

If I came off too strongly - my apologies. But your suggestions were ridiculous, and only serve to fan the flames of the "whiners'" claims of mental duress, depression, panic disorder, loss of consortium, irreconcilable differences, post-traumatic stress disorder, hair loss, toe fungus, and whatever other personal harms they're blaming on Apple, in waiting for a product that still isn't even "late!"

I know how hard the "waiting game" is. In 1998, I ordered the "new" G3 "Wallstreet" Powerbook right after announcement, with an "expected delivery in 6 weeks." How long did it take, for this completely new design, the "fastest laptop on the planet, costing $5,600?" 4 months!!! But sometimes products, especially a completely new design, take longer to arrive, especially when it's manufactured by a 3rd party, and there's not a damn thing you can do but wait. You think Apple doesn't want to crank these things out? - they're not making a dime on pre-orders, nothing until they ship the product and can bill your credit card! What do people want them to do, "invade" Taiwan and seize the factories???

iBorg

iBorg
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 28, 2003, 04:06 PM

I doubt very highly that we'll see giant court cases or sh!t like that, but there are guarantees on delivery--companies are supposed to keep their word.

Again, as I said: should the PB 17" not be shipping in March I would expect inquiries from California's AG. "Inquiries" does not mean "giant litigation".
1. There are no guaranteees on delivery date, period! That's what "expected date of delivery" means, dude!

2. No AG, Californias's or otherwise, is going to "inquire" about anything related to delivery delays, even if that happens, by not shipping within the next 3 weeks! Not gonna happen ..... no reason, no precedence, no consumer harm ..... period. They have enough legitimate work to do.

iBorg

HvyMtlMdns
Forum Regular
Feb 28, 2003, 04:54 PM

Originally posted by iBorg:
mrmister,

2. Expecting some state's "Attorney General to get involved" is just childish! For what reason? Cite me any similar instance of this happening, particularly when no money has been prepaid for these pre-orders!!! (At least in the US - if they do it otherwise in other countries, that has nothing to do with AG's here in the states)

iBorg
There are a few of us who did "prepay" for our 17" PowerBooks. Mine, for instance, was a purchase made through my campus retailer. They require special orders to be prepaid as they do not carry any computer hardware in stock. So in essence, I spent my 3K+ nearly two months ago.

Now as the date of the original "expected delivery" window arrives and will most likely depart with out the joyous arrival, I am not up in arms about this. I want my laptop as soon as possible, but more importantly, I want it to work when it arrives. Whatever has precipitated the delay is irrelevent for the most part. I'll be happy when it does arrive and works as advertised.

MacMini 2.0 Ghz C2D/160GB/2GB RAM/8x Dual-Layer SD/3X 1 TB Ext HDs; iMac C2D 20" 2.66 GHz/320GB/2GB RAM/8x Dual-Layer SD/20" Display with external 20" Apple Cinema Display; PB G4 1.67 GHz 17"/250GB/1 GB RAM/8x Dual-Layer SD; 5G iPod Classic 160GB; 2G iPod Shuffle; AppleTV

Dougmc
Forum Regular
Feb 28, 2003, 04:57 PM

Apple will ship these machines when they feel they have met the quality standards they and their customers expect. I wouldn't want them to ship anything any earlier�it's against their best interest to anger their customers any more than the potential long wait already has. Steve Jobs' did not enter into a contract with the buying public with his keynote address when he estimated the delivery of the new PowerBook 17" machine. He simply was doing what successful CEOs do�promote, hype, sell, tout. What employee do you know who doesn't have a boss that overstates what their people are capable of doing in order to paint the situation with a positive spin?

I'm on the list for a new PowerBook myself. I'm anxious. So much so that I've downloaded the "Getting Started" PDF from the Apple website and have already read and learned about some of the unique functions of this new technology.

I'm impatient as well. I've emailed my rep daily to see if there's been a change in delivery date (originally quoted as being on or before the 10th) and learned just today that the machines aren't going to be arriving on their docks until March 5-11. I won't see mine for a number of days after that.

If any of you have a solution to what you see as a problem, you should offer the solution to the people that could utilize the information. But it's unattractive to simply complain and point out what you feel is wrong with the system.

I remain anxious to get my new Mac. My wife is even more anxious, because she's tired of hearing me talk about it!

iChristopher
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 28, 2003, 05:49 PM

Originally posted by Dougmc:
Apple will ship these machines when they feel they have met the quality standards they and their customers expect.
Too bad they didn't apply the same standards with the 12" PowerBooks, eh? I'm really surprised that Apple would ship a case that apparently "warps" or bends with ease. If that is really the case (hah ha), then heads should roll.

Perhaps the 17" has the same problems and they are going back and fixing them now instead of later.

badnewsblair  (op)
Senior User
Feb 28, 2003, 05:54 PM

"Dougmc", I couldn't agree more.

My whole point exactly.

mrmister
Mac Elite
Feb 28, 2003, 09:26 PM

"1. There are no guaranteees on delivery date, period! That's what "expected date of delivery" means, dude!"

Don't call me dude.

They were supposed to ship in February. They didn't. They are late. Sure, you can get all postmodern about whether there's any date they need to keep, but the laptops are certainly late. I mean, you aren't going to claim they're early, right?

At the same time, it is certainly better that they actually work than be on time.

"2. No AG, Californias's or otherwise, is going to "inquire" about anything related to delivery delays, even if that happens, by not shipping within the next 3 weeks!"

I had said if they didn't ship by APRIL 1st. End of February + 1 month, that I then wouldn't be surprised if questions were asked.

"Not gonna happen ..... no reason, no precedence, no consumer harm ..... period. They have enough legitimate work to do."

They made an inquiry when the G4 500s weren't shipping and got knocked back to 450s...maybe that was 400s to 350s, I can't remember. I brought it up because it has happened in the past. Dell just got some attention for holding up some laptop deliveries for some 16" laptop screen--it does happen.

iBorg--you are on a Mac forum. Why are you surprised and dismayed that people who ordered a really expensive laptop aren't getting them when they were supposed to be available?

It isn't the end of the world, but come on--folks should be griping.

badnewsblair  (op)
Senior User
Feb 28, 2003, 10:10 PM

Agreed again. There is right for petty whining, especially because of how muc hmoney we are paying for this.

Just don't turn the whining into name calling and bad press being thrown at Apple. They aren't screwing us over.

iBorg
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 1, 2003, 03:59 AM

Originally posted by HvyMtlMdns:
There are a few of us who did "prepay" for our 17" PowerBooks. Mine, for instance, was a purchase made through my campus retailer. They require special orders to be prepaid as they do not carry any computer hardware in stock. So in essence, I spent my 3K+ nearly two months ago.
Then your complaint should be with the ones you paid - your campus retailer, since prepayment was required by them, not by Apple. Apple gave no guaranteed date - if your reseller did, then you should seek compensation from them.

iBorg

HvyMtlMdns
Forum Regular
Mar 1, 2003, 09:36 AM

Originally posted by iBorg:
Then your complaint should be with the ones you paid - your campus retailer, since prepayment was required by them, not by Apple. Apple gave no guaranteed date - if your reseller did, then you should seek compensation from them.

iBorg
No complaint as of yet. Just patiently waiting for my new baby to arrive. Actually, I'm kinda glad I put the money down then. It might have burned a hole in my pocket if I still had it. I don't quite "need" the PowerBook yet, but I sure do "want" it now!
MacMini 2.0 Ghz C2D/160GB/2GB RAM/8x Dual-Layer SD/3X 1 TB Ext HDs; iMac C2D 20" 2.66 GHz/320GB/2GB RAM/8x Dual-Layer SD/20" Display with external 20" Apple Cinema Display; PB G4 1.67 GHz 17"/250GB/1 GB RAM/8x Dual-Layer SD; 5G iPod Classic 160GB; 2G iPod Shuffle; AppleTV

mrmister
Mac Elite
Mar 1, 2003, 02:25 PM

iBorg--master of relational semantics.

skyman
Mac Elite
Mar 1, 2003, 03:20 PM

WOW. I have never seen so many people angry at Apple over the delay of a product.

All I have got to say is:

HEY APPLE ARE YOU PAYING ATTENTION!

Speak with your wallet Ladys and Gents and cancel your 17" orders!

---------------------------------------
1GHz Ti PowerBook w/ SuperDrive. YAH BABY!

art_director
Professional Poster
Mar 1, 2003, 03:39 PM

badnewsblair:

THANK YOU. The number of 17" whiners on this forum is more irritating than waiting for a 17". If you can't wait for the machine then move on and let the rest of us live in silence about the issue.

chrisutley
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 1, 2003, 04:47 PM

These forums are infected with a serious problem. The inability of some people to make their point or debate an issue without launching personal attacks against their opposition.

Is this *really* a Mac Forum? Mabe I clicked on the wrong link...
MacBook and iMac Core 2 Duo 24"

iBorg
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 1, 2003, 05:35 PM

iBorg--master of relational semantics.
Hmmm ..... when you can't argue facts, resort to personal attacks .....

If you were referring to my last post, what point did you disagree with? Was it, or was it not, the campus reseller who required pre-payment for that individual? I guess that in your interpretation of reality, that again would be Apple's fault .... Sheesh!!!

iBorg
( Last edited by iBorg; Mar 1, 2003 at 05:46 PM. )

mrmister
Mac Elite
Mar 1, 2003, 07:51 PM

"Hmmm ..... when you can't argue facts, resort to personal attacks ....."

No, iBorg. You'll know it if I ever made a personal attack.

badnewsblair  (op)
Senior User
Mar 1, 2003, 08:24 PM

Well, at least "art_director" got my point. No "art_director", thank <i>you</i>! I think we all need to cool the heck down. It wasn't my intention of starting an argument, I just thought it needed to be said that Apple isn't screwing us over. There is a reason for the delay (if in fact they are delayed).

All in all, I am TOTALLY willing and able to wait as long as it takes, as long as my 17-inch comes in great shape!

iBorg
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 1, 2003, 08:58 PM

No, iBorg. You'll know it if I ever made a personal attack.
OOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

( ..... had a terrible shiver for just a moment ..... )

iBorg

Forum Links
Forum Rules