Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > 2008: The Year Stagflation Returns?

2008: The Year Stagflation Returns?
Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Nov 8, 2007, 01:42 PM

Will 2008 be an infamous year in which Stagflation returns? It looks like it to me right now, so don't be surprised when you start hearing it from commentators in the coming months. GDP is still growing right now, but with the credit crunch, declining home values, the declining dollar and record energy prices I think we're in danger of seeing economic stagnation and inflation - stagflation. The first time we saw it was under Carter, and it took huge interest rate hikes to combat it.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 8, 2007, 02:16 PM

It will be as the lemmings wish it to be.
( Last edited by RAILhead; Nov 8, 2007 at 04:11 PM. Reason: 2 horrible typos...)
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

Cold Warrior
Nov 8, 2007, 02:34 PM

They could always cut my FICA taxes and lower my property taxes (currently $4500/yr). That's $10,000 more a year I'd have to invest in purchases or investments. The government just pisses it away on failing schools, overpriced and inefficient infrastructure, and a supplemental retirement cradle (Social Security, Medicare, etc.) that won't exist for me in 30 years.

We are our own worst enemy sometimes.

Big Mac  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 8, 2007, 02:40 PM

Cut FICA? They're going to raise it. I had to crack up when Barka Yomomma said that all the Democratic candidates believe Social Security is a fiscally sound program.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Cold Warrior
Nov 8, 2007, 02:49 PM

I know. And that makes it all the more frustrating, because I'll still be throwing money into a worthless system. I'd be willing to support a small increase if I could direct it into a 401k/Roth IRA account that's untouchable before a certain age. After all, FICA is just mandatory retirement deductions, held in trust by the government, with piss-poor growth.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 8, 2007, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
Cut FICA? They're going to raise it. I had to crack up when Barka Yomomma said that all the Democratic candidates believe Social Security is a fiscally sound program.
It was a fiscally sound program until Ronald Raygun lowered taxes, and then raided SS to cover the resultant shortfalls. It is also one of the most efficient government programs ever, with 3.5% administrative costs. Of course, if you'd rather hand over huge fees to investment bankers to possibly get any return on your investment, they'd no doubt be glad to take your money, as they know damn well how gullible lots of people are.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

Cold Warrior
Nov 8, 2007, 10:05 PM

a sound and balanced portfolio over 20-30 years will yield far better gains than SS.

And 3.5% is ridiculous. Any mutual fund or 401k with that kind of drain on return would be laughed out of existence.

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 9, 2007, 01:18 AM

Originally Posted by OldManMac View Post
It was a fiscally sound program until Ronald Raygun lowered taxes, and then raided SS to cover the resultant shortfalls. It is also one of the most efficient government programs ever, with 3.5% administrative costs. Of course, if you'd rather hand over huge fees to investment bankers to possibly get any return on your investment, they'd no doubt be glad to take your money, as they know damn well how gullible lots of people are.
Wow. Just wow.
I don't think I've ever actually met anyone that really thought relying on SS was a better idea than an actual investment account. Simply amazing.

thunderous_funker
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 9, 2007, 04:58 AM

SS was never meant to be a full pension. It was a safety net. But as private pensions starting going the way of the Dodo, it kept getting expanded.

And despite all that abuse, it HAS been a miraculously successful program. Social Security and the G.I. Bill are the most successful social programs ever devised in the country and are the backbone of America's vaunted middle-class. Well, middle-class of previous generations at least.

Now the program has been looted and plundered and the same crooks who stole it are now telling us it doesn't work (and even trying to make us forget that it ever worked at all).

Revisionist history gets easier and easier with the MTV generation, I swear.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die." -- Hunter S. Thompson

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 9, 2007, 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by thunderous_funker View Post
Now the program has been looted and plundered and the same crooks who stole it are now telling us it doesn't work (and even trying to make us forget that it ever worked at all).
Wait, so it works sooooooooooooooooooooooo amazingly well that it was looted and plundered and rendered non-working by "crooks" and "idiots" (those we have to replace with those mythical non-idiots who'll get things done, as mentioned in the other thread).

So, I guess if we can juuuuuuust get it back to the "good ol' days" when it worked.... a future gang of crooks and idiots can loot and plunder it again as they see fit, with absolutely no consequences other than all of us going, "Gee, gosh shucks, that's too bad!"

Hot damn! What a miraculous success story! I'm convinced! Where do I sign up to have these crooks and idiots given full control over my health and financial future? SIGN ME UP!

gumby5647
Professional Poster
Nov 10, 2007, 12:16 PM

God I'm glad I don't pay into Social Security.
AIM: bmichel5581
MacBook 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB RAM
160GB

Cold Warrior
Nov 10, 2007, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by gumby5647 View Post
God I'm glad I don't pay into Social Security.
How do you avoid that?

HackManDan
Forum Regular
Nov 10, 2007, 02:20 PM

Government employees don't pay into SS, cause we have our own pension system, at least that's the case in CA.

Cold Warrior
Nov 10, 2007, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by HackManDan View Post
Government employees don't pay into SS, cause we have our own pension system, at least that's the case in CA.
I don't know about that. SS is part of the FICA taxes, which are 12.5% of wages, and come as a payroll deduction. It's money you never get, and should be done everywhere in the US. Do your payroll receipts list FICA?

HackManDan
Forum Regular
Nov 10, 2007, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior
I don't know about that. SS is part of the FICA taxes, which are 12.5% of wages, and come as a payroll deduction. It's money you never get, and should be done everywhere in the US. Do your payroll receipts list FICA?
California government employees (state/local) do not pay that 12.5% FICA tax. My HR rep told me that we are exempt because we pay 7-8% of our pay in our pension system, CalPERS (or another city/county pension program). Its a pretty sweet deal since government employees retire at 2.5-3% @ 55 (the minimum retirement age), meaning that if I work for 30 years, I get 2.5% of my salary for every one of those years when I retire, hence 30 x 2.5% = 75% of my ending salary. So if I made $100,000 my last year of work, I would get $75,000 in pension every year till I die, plus medial benefits.

The retirement percentage (2.5-3%) is determined by labor contract, with law enforcement employees usually the only ones getting 3%.

Additionally, some labor contracts between cities and unions specify that the employee contribution be paid by the city.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 10, 2007, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by CRASH HARDDRIVE View Post
Wow. Just wow.
I don't think I've ever actually met anyone that really thought relying on SS was a better idea than an actual investment account. Simply amazing.
Did I say anywhere that relying on SS was better than an actual investment? I didn't think so.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

Cold Warrior
Nov 10, 2007, 08:36 PM

Did I say anywhere that relying on SS was better than an actual investment? I didn't think so.
You implied as much.

Care to elaborate?

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 10, 2007, 11:42 PM

As CW pointed out, it sure seemed that's what you were saying. Or perhaps you were just setting up a silly hypothetical just to find something that's a worse idea than SS.

tie
Professional Poster
Nov 12, 2007, 02:31 AM

Originally Posted by CRASH HARDDRIVE View Post
So, I guess if we can juuuuuuust get it back to the "good ol' days" when it worked.... a future gang of crooks and idiots can loot and plunder it again as they see fit, with absolutely no consequences other than all of us going, "Gee, gosh shucks, that's too bad!"
You say all this, and then you support blowing up trillions in Iraq. Where do you think that money is coming from? I agree with you, that I don't want gangs of crooks and idiots taking my money for "retirement" and actually spending it on wars on imaginary threats. But you?
The 4 o'clock train will be a bus.
It will depart at 20 minutes to 5.

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Nov 12, 2007, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
What cracks me up about this is when the Republicans were fighting for lowering taxes during the Clinton Administration, the mantra was "Save Social Security First"! Funny how things change contingent upon whether there's an (R) or (D) after the name.
ebuddy

gumby5647
Professional Poster
Nov 14, 2007, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
How do you avoid that?

Railroad Retirement Board

Railroad Retirement Board - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
AIM: bmichel5581
MacBook 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB RAM
160GB

Big Mac  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 14, 2007, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by ebuddy View Post
What cracks me up about this is when the Republicans were fighting for lowering taxes during the Clinton Administration, the mantra was "Save Social Security First"! Funny how things change contingent upon whether there's an (R) or (D) after the name.
The Republicans, and especially the incumbents who are fearful of the despicable lobbies like the AARP, are almost* as bad as the Democrats when it comes to real reform of our federal pyramid schemes. They don't want to piss off seniors, so unless the next president pushes the issue they will simply stick their heads in the sand along with the Dems and await the immense and unprecedented fiscal crisis that will assuredly hit us in the next decade without dramatic reforms.

*almost but not just as bad because at least many Republicans support means testing.

And as for Iraq versus our pyramid schemes, everyone thought Iraq was a threat, and the president was given bipartisan authority to go to war over it. We won't see the full fruits of our labors in Iraq for a while to come (even now things have settled down considerably), but eliminating a state supporter of international terrorism was a wonderful thing; killing terrorist fiends every day in Iraq is a wonderful thing. It's just unfortunate that we couldn't have done it in a cheaper way (in terms of American lives and money). I guess we could have pulled out immediately after ousting Saddam thus plunging the country into full civil war, or we could have just bombed the country into oblivion, but. . .

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 14, 2007, 01:42 PM

1. You are not using the term 'pyramid scheme' in the same way as the rest of the world. As has been pointed out, social security and other federal systems are among the most efficient anywhere - far more so than their private counterparts.
2. 'Everyone' (actually, not everyone) thought Iraq was a threat because Bush et al lied to them.
3. We could have, oh, you know, focused on real threats, not invaded random countries for no reason.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Nov 14, 2007, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by peeb View Post
2. 'Everyone' (actually, not everyone) thought Iraq was a threat because Bush et al lied to them.
No, just the gullible. More intelligent people saw it coming a mile away and were telling people from day 1 that it was a load of horse crap.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Big Mac  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 14, 2007, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by peeb View Post
1. You are not using the term 'pyramid scheme' in the same way as the rest of the world. As has been pointed out, social security and other federal systems are among the most efficient anywhere - far more so than their private counterparts.
Okay, you've made that claim, now back it up. Where are the private systems and how do you know they're inferior? I doubt you can find anyone in the U.S. who enjoys their own separately funded government pension plan would want to switch. And how do you know the entitlement programs are so efficient? I truly beg to differ. Btw, a pyramid scheme is set up so that early members get payments from those who are signed up later; eventually the system runs out of money because the people on the bottom have no one to feed off of. That's how our entitlement programs work, so they are pyramid schemes. The problem is compounded by the fact that the money contributed goes into the general fund of the federal government so that whatever is left gets spent by Congress, as well as by the fact that the Dems have resisted means testing so that the wealthy draw from a system originally intended for the poor. Even though entitlement lovers like the status quo, the systems truly suck and are going to fail without considerable, politically unpopular alterations.
Sure, proved he lied. The Dems saw the same intelligence and overwhelmingly came to the same conclusion.
3. We could have, oh, you know, focused on real threats, not invaded random countries for no reason.
I guess you don't consider a state supporter of international terrorism a real threat. Good for you.
( Last edited by Big Mac; Nov 15, 2007 at 03:40 AM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules