Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > ~ The official Tiger buglist

~ The official Tiger buglist (Page 3)
mAxximo
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 25, 2005, 11:02 PM

Stray scroll bars continue to appear in �Finder� windows that don't have any more items to show; even after I manually get rid of them, if I log out or switch users, some of those unnecessary scroll bars will come back again and again.

I already mentioned that opening a normal window using Spotlight will turn it to metal for no reason. Well, the same happens if I drag a normal folder to the Dock and I open it from there. Bam, metal.

Severed Hand of Skywalker  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 25, 2005, 11:58 PM

Is anyone finding the open/save boxes taking a looong time to come up?

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

mAxximo
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 26, 2005, 12:54 AM

Open/Save dialogues come up much faster in Tiger for me. Even with the Default Folder side panel attached.

Souljah
Apr 26, 2005, 12:57 AM

I had a perfectly running silent machine.
I installed Tiger on sunday and noticed a beeping coming from the case.

Found out that it's perfectly in sync to the second with the system's digital clock.

Read a few places that it's definetly caused by the power supply but few had any success getting rid of it.

I have been running this cpu since July 04 when I purchased it, on the Highest" setting in the Energy Saver preference panel with no problems.

So I set it back to "Automatic" but the beeping is still there, just a tad quieter but still damn noticable.

Anyone here have this beeping on a G5 before Tiger and managed to get rid of it?
Is it back?
G5 DP 1.8 Rev.B 3g Ram
20" Apple Cinema.
Tigger 10.4.1

Evinyatar
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 26, 2005, 04:28 AM

Another one, which is quite appalling since it's just laziness; some of the bundled widgets aren't translated! Obviously it'd be silly to translate the Dictionary or Phonebook widgets, since one only looks up English words and the other doesn't work outside the US. But at least Flight Tracker, Weather and Stock should have been translated.
PowerMac G4 400MHz/832MB/60GB
AlBook G4 15" 1.25GHz/1.5GB/60GB
Athlon 64 3500+/Asus A8N-SLI Premium/2GB RAM/990GB HD/GF7800GT 512

palple
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 26, 2005, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by Evinyatar
Another one, which is quite appalling since it's just laziness; some of the bundled widgets aren't translated! Obviously it'd be silly to translate the Dictionary or Phonebook widgets, since one only looks up English words and the other doesn't work outside the US. But at least Flight Tracker, Weather and Stock should have been translated.
Not only the Dictionary widget, but the Dictionary application isn't translated, too. As it seems that it could support other dictionary as plug-ins, it would have been wise to localize it! How much time would have taken to localize such a tiny app?
iMac fp 15'' G4 700Mhz, 256MB RAM, 10.3.8
iBook 12'' G4 1.2Ghz, 768MB RAM, 60G, 10.4.0

Weyland-Yutani
Mac Elite
Apr 26, 2005, 06:21 AM

Yeah I think it is a lack of attention to detail to have some widgets non-translated.

I can confirm thought that airport reception has become dramatically better with Tiger on my old iBook 600. Most incredible.

“Building Better Worlds”

OreoCookie
Apr 26, 2005, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by Weyland-Yutani
Yeah I think it is a lack of attention to detail to have some widgets non-translated.

I can confirm thought that airport reception has become dramatically better with Tiger on my old iBook 600. Most incredible.
The first part is not lack of attention, it's lack of engineering

The second point is rather weird ... but as long is it works
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Detrius
Professional Poster
Apr 26, 2005, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by mAxximo
Oh, the usual zombies insulting me because I don't drool over Apple products or jerk off over a photo of Steve Jobs like they do...
I thought you guys would stay away from any thread where any faults in OS X could be found and openly talked about...
You totally have this all wrong. We aren't undead. We just pray to the all-mighty Steve Jobs, while burning copies of 10.4 on the sacrificial altar. Unfortunately, since we have given up our most prized possession to Steve God, we are unable to give useful input to this discussion. Also, we witnessed the death of OS 9, so anyone worshipping a dead OS is clearly collaborating with the evil of the dead. These people must be tortured and slowly beheaded with a plastic spork.

Seriously. It's just a small portion of a consumer-driven society. We accept that. Why can't you? You are praising a product that has been discontinued and hasn't been shipping for years. We accept that the new product makes us more efficient than the old product, and we therefore are able to put up with minor flaws, since it fixed the major flaws of the old product. We have come to terms with the fact that the world has change. We are capable of change, and most of us MUCH prefer the new product over the old one. Now, there's a product that's coming out on Friday... that product is brand spanking new, and therefore, there are some kinks that need to be worked out. Some of us will stay with the previous product for a little bit until the major bugs of the newest product are found and fixed.

Posts like yours show what you REALLY think, and that's why no one respects your opinion. You didn't have to insult us like this to tell us what you think... we already know.
ACSA 10.4/10.3, ACTC 10.3, ACHDS 10.3

mAxximo
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 26, 2005, 10:38 AM

So there's these drones openly insulting me because they can't digest my opinions on a commercial product but instead you decide to take offense at my little backlash post. Good job, �moderator�.

Thinine
Mac Elite
Apr 26, 2005, 10:47 AM

I digested your 'opinions' just fine, and posted my impression of them. You, however, insulted everyone who disagreed with you and a moderator responded. Boohoo. Perhaps you should limit your posts to when you have a point instead of merely rehashing the same stuff time and time again. How many forums have to tell you you're wrong before you accept it?

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Apr 26, 2005, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by Thinine
I digested your 'opinions' just fine, and posted my impression of them. You, however, insulted everyone who disagreed with you and a moderator responded. Boohoo. Perhaps you should limit your posts to when you have a point instead of merely rehashing the same stuff time and time again. How many forums have to tell you you're wrong before you accept it?
This webpage solved my problem.

mAxximo
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 26, 2005, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by Thinine
So you dumping on the thread and calling me a �stupid� is �posting your impression� but me calling you a zombie is �insulting everyone�. LOL. What a stupid.

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 26, 2005, 11:27 AM

So you dumping on the thread and calling me a �stupid� is �posting your impression� but me calling you a zombie is �insulting everyone�. LOL. What a stupid.
No, you are trolling, plain and simple, trying to impress your fellow OS 9 refugees at Thalo. That's why no one respects your less-than-objective rants. I'm sure the general consensus is that hopefully once you reach high school age and your hormones finally kick in, you'll stop spending all your time here crying and wringing your hands over your dead platform.

CubeWannaB
Forum Regular
Apr 26, 2005, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by hellmachine
like the calendar numbers sitting to high
This is caused by having a different version of Helvetica Neue installed. It happens with the iCal dock icon in 10.3 as well. My solution was to uninstall my copy and use an opentype version instead. Just remember to keep the one that comes with OS X.

mAxximo
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 26, 2005, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by xi_hyperon
No, you are trolling, plain and simple, trying to impress your fellow OS 9 refugees at Thalo. That's why no one respects your less-than-objective rants. I'm sure the general consensus is that hopefully once you reach high school age and your hormones finally kick in, you'll stop spending all your time here crying and wringing your hands over your dead platform.
However, for someone which such low respect as you think I have, you seem overly worried that others could actually agree with my points. You are spending all your time here trying to discredit me, fearing that some of my opinions could get across. Brrrrrr!

Personally, I prefer to leave people who I think are idiots alone. They are better at discrediting themselves that any silly intent you may try to pull off.

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Apr 26, 2005, 12:16 PM

Alright, enough already, back on topic.

"Laugh it up, fuzz ball!"

OreoCookie
Apr 26, 2005, 12:26 PM

No flaming, please. Otherwise I might have to close this thread.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

cc_foo
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 26, 2005, 10:03 PM

iCal has some weirdness, when changing an item from timed event to all-day event. The even-worse bugginess from Panther has been fixed, but not fixed quite right. Just some rough edges in Tiger I think.

Can�t describe it fully. Sorry.

Souljah
Apr 26, 2005, 10:51 PM

When logging out of iChat the "Buddy Availability" status in Mail stays green for whichever buddy was available just before logging out.

With a quick check in Activity Monitor it shows "iChatAgent (Not Responding)" even though I quit the application.

Finder seems "sticky" for lack of a better word.

Tempted to do a clean wipe and install.
G5 DP 1.8 Rev.B 3g Ram
20" Apple Cinema.
Tigger 10.4.1

badtz
Mac Elite
Apr 26, 2005, 11:39 PM

if you have the iSync menubar icon visible and don't have a .mac account, you can't access the "sync now" feature on that menu to synchronize your information with your bluetooth phone, it only gives you access to sync w/.mac

... anyone else have this prob.?

Evinyatar
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 27, 2005, 03:57 AM

I keep finding these things... in Automator when you try to download files it fails if you're behind a proxy. Apparently it calls curl to fetch these and doesn't pass the proxy settings. Why it doesn't use CF for this is beyond me.
PowerMac G4 400MHz/832MB/60GB
AlBook G4 15" 1.25GHz/1.5GB/60GB
Athlon 64 3500+/Asus A8N-SLI Premium/2GB RAM/990GB HD/GF7800GT 512

johnt519
Forum Regular
Apr 27, 2005, 09:17 AM

This one is weird...in Safari, choose Print and click the PDF button/menu. Save as PDF is not available. Save PDF as Postscript, and Fax PDF are, but that's it.

It works from Omniweb and other apps, just not Safari.

alephOne
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 27, 2005, 09:26 AM

On my machine, I've been having problems with the "Input" menu extra. At first, the only menu item that appeared in it was "Open International..." So I opened up the International System Preferences and unticked and reticked some of the tick boxes, and I could get the language selector to appear in the menu (you know; the items with the flags next to them), but not the "Show Character Palette" menu item. So then I just removed the menu extra altogether, then went to /System/Library/Core Services/Menu Extras/ and dragged TextInput.menu up to the menu bar, and now the menu itself has all the items it should �*the languages I want, "Show Character Palette", and "Open International..." � but there's no icon for it in the menu bar. It doesn't matter which language I select; the icon just isn't there. I can click the space where it's supposed to be, and the menu drops down properly, but there's just no icon.

Here's what I mean:

cybergoober
Mac Elite
Apr 27, 2005, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by johnt519
This one is weird...in Safari, choose Print and click the PDF button/menu. Save as PDF is not available. Save PDF as Postscript, and Fax PDF are, but that's it.

Save as PDF... available here

Steve Bosell
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 27, 2005, 10:25 AM

I cant su or sudo in the terminal, enabling root in netinfo doesn't seem to do anything....

johnt519
Forum Regular
Apr 27, 2005, 10:29 AM

Hmm. Still not available for me.

I do see something else. When I choose Print, it takes several seconds for the Print sheet to display - so much so that the spinning cursor appears. I checked the error log (/var/log/cups/error_log) and I see this each time I open the Print dialog:

W [27/Apr/2005:10:26:09 -0400] emptyReceivePort: mach_msg send returns: (ipc/send) invalid destination port

errr??

daydream
Apr 27, 2005, 10:35 AM

Bugs that I have found with my system loaded with Tiger (System Dual 800 with 1.5 Gig of RAM) are the following:

Camino, when it is already open and you click in it again it should bring up a new window yet does not. Mozilla seems to be acting strange as it will not allow download from some sites yet when I use Explorer it works well. Also this is true with Camino as well. WindowShade 5.3 does not work at all I miss that one.

Great news The "Disk Utility" works faster on fixing permissions than any other that I have used. FCP, DVD SP 3.0, Photoshop CS, and Illustrator CS my main applications work great. Microsoft Office is sluggish in typing and trying to get to other parts of a document.

Now the best news I am able to open a folder that has more than 1,000 files and it takes no longer than a second or two to load. Before I would have to wait up to a minutes with some folders that had 2,000 pictures.

alephOne
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 27, 2005, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by alephOne
On my machine, I've been having problems with the "Input" menu extra. At first, the only menu item that appeared in it was "Open International..." So I opened up the International System Preferences and unticked and reticked some of the tick boxes, and I could get the language selector to appear in the menu (you know; the items with the flags next to them), but not the "Show Character Palette" menu item. So then I just removed the menu extra altogether, then went to /System/Library/Core Services/Menu Extras/ and dragged TextInput.menu up to the menu bar, and now the menu itself has all the items it should �*the languages I want, "Show Character Palette", and "Open International..." � but there's no icon for it in the menu bar. It doesn't matter which language I select; the icon just isn't there. I can click the space where it's supposed to be, and the menu drops down properly, but there's just no icon.

Here's what I mean:

Well whattaya know? A reboot was all it needed.

Addicted to MacNN
Apr 27, 2005, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by daydream
Camino, when it is already open and you click in it again it should bring up a new window yet does not. Mozilla seems to be acting strange as it will not allow download from some sites yet when I use Explorer it works well. Also this is true with Camino as well. WindowShade 5.3 does not work at all I miss that one.
This thread isn't about 3rd party apps not working like they should. There is a separate thread for that.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Fusion
Senior User
Apr 27, 2005, 11:19 AM

malique
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 27, 2005, 11:25 AM

I do see something else. When I choose Print, it takes several seconds for the Print sheet to display - so much so that the spinning cursor appears. I checked the error log (/var/log/cups/error_log) and I see this each time I open the Print dialog:

W [27/Apr/2005:10:26:09 -0400] emptyReceivePort: mach_msg send returns: (ipc/send) invalid destination port

errr??

Printing is impossible on my system, too. Really, everything seems broken. Not even Adobe PDF 7.01 works � can't do PDFs anymore! Argh!

ɕɕɕ *°* for it is a human number. it's number is onethousandandtwentyfour. *°* ͋ƺ

Dual 1.8 // Dual Display // Dual Ears // Dual Nuts // Dual Everything

Jernberg
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 27, 2005, 11:31 AM

On my dual G5 2 Ghz (Rev. A), any disc that is loaded in the internal Superdrive gets STUCK and cannot be ejected. When I drag'n'drop the discs icon to the dock eject, the disc icon disappears from the Desktop but the disc won't come out.

What's even worse is that the G5 won't re-boot, nor shut down!! I have to hard reset every time I want to use another disc! Upon inspection of the "top" command in Terminal, I see that 1 process is "Stuck". The "ps aux" command reveals that it is the "/sbin/umount /Volumes/Mac OS X Install DVD" that is stuck. I guess this stuck process is what hinders the system from shutting down or re-booting.

The "lock-up" only seems to occur after the display energy saver (in the Energy Saver prefs pane) has been activated (after 15 mins in inactivity) and the display awoken. Computer is set to "Never" sleep, and hard disks to sleep "when possible". No screen saver active.

First, I thought it was due to a "bad OS install", so I tried making a new user account. Problem still there. Then, to be 100% sure, I tried to make a fresh install on my second hard drive. Problem still there. The bug's 100% re-producable.

( Last edited by Jernberg; Apr 27, 2005 at 02:06 PM. )

johnt519
Forum Regular
Apr 27, 2005, 11:35 AM

errr??
Print to PDF is back now. I quit and relaunched Safari and all is good.

I'm still seeing those warnings though. I am able to print, but the delay in opening the Print dialog sheet is a bit unnerving...

ambush
Banned
Apr 27, 2005, 01:38 PM

Dashboard Weather Widget does not play well with International users.

E.g.: I get Montreal, WI by default (I'm in Montr�al, Qu�bec) and I can't get the weather widget to display my city's temp. (even by manually switching the city)

Edit: I put "Montreal, Canada" and pressed enter and it worked!!!

Addicted to MacNN
Apr 27, 2005, 02:16 PM

Ya same goes for TORONTO which it should have known on its own is in Canada as it gets TORONTO out of the time zone panel. I had to add ONTARIO before it showed the correct weather.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

mAxximo
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 27, 2005, 08:30 PM

I selected 15 jpegs and right-clicked on them to select �Slideshow�. Tiger took 8 seconds and a beachball to display the contextual menu. Tried other folders, same thing. I need to know if this is happening to somebody else. TIA.

ambush
Banned
Apr 27, 2005, 08:45 PM

NSLevelIndicator is bloody slow...

Thinine
Mac Elite
Apr 27, 2005, 09:24 PM

I selected 15 jpegs and right-clicked on them to select �Slideshow�. Tiger took 8 seconds and a beachball to display the contextual menu. Tried other folders, same thing. I need to know if this is happening to somebody else. TIA.
No. I selected 35 JPEGs and the contextual menu was instantaneous and it took about 4 seconds for the slideshow to start and there was no beach ball. And this was on my iBook 500.
( Last edited by Thinine; Apr 27, 2005 at 09:31 PM. )

mAxximo
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 27, 2005, 10:17 PM

Crap. I restarted one thousand times and it's still taking 7-10 seconds to display the @#$%^ contextual menu. It's almost instant if I just select one item. If it's two or more it starts to lag accordingly. Grrrrrr.

johnt519
Forum Regular
Apr 27, 2005, 10:22 PM

What's up with the new Safari "error" pages? Try going to an bad website (www.blahblahblah.com) and you'll see what I mean... I wonder if there's a way to get the old error sheets back?

torifile
Mac Elite
Apr 27, 2005, 10:37 PM

Mail.app sucks. It disconnects all the time. Strange rendering. Taking forever to "download" attachments (when they should get downloaded right away). Taking an eternity to load a message. Thumbs down. Too bad because the search is fantastic.

MOTHERWELL
Senior User
Apr 27, 2005, 11:25 PM

Safari:

ex. Typing "google" would take me to http://www.google.com/

This no longer works in Tiger. Is this an isolated problem, or are other people really getting annoyed with this missing feature?

alephOne
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 28, 2005, 12:30 AM

Originally Posted by MOTHERWELL
Safari:

ex. Typing "google" would take me to http://www.google.com/

This no longer works in Tiger. Is this an isolated problem, or are other people really getting annoyed with this missing feature?
Hmm... works fine for me...

krove
Mac Elite
Apr 28, 2005, 12:37 AM

For those of you with these issues, did you:

(a) Upgrade and install
(b) Archive and install w/User & Network settings
(c) Archive and install w/o User & Network settings
(d) Erase and install

?

How did it come to this? Goodbye PowerPC. | sensory output

MOTHERWELL
Senior User
Apr 28, 2005, 12:47 AM

D. Erased everything.

mAxximo
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005, 01:13 AM

Installed for the first time in a partition with just network settings.

JLL
Professional Poster
Apr 28, 2005, 02:35 AM

What's up with the new Safari "error" pages? Try going to an bad website (www.blahblahblah.com) and you'll see what I mean... I wonder if there's a way to get the old error sheets back?
You liked the sheets? They required interaction before you could type the correct URL - now you can just type away
JLL

- My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 28, 2005, 03:04 AM

Originally Posted by JLL
You liked the sheets? They required interaction before you could type the correct URL - now you can just type away
The new Safari error is 1000x better than the sheets. For the love of god, if that ever bounces again just because I typed the URL wrong... %#*@*!

Oh, and one really cool thing I noticed about Safari, usually, I open my iBook and go right to a few web pages. More often then not, I was greeted by that #(@# sheet because the wireless hadn't picked up yet. But now, I'm greeted with a nice page saying that my network connection is down and gives me a button to open the network diagnostics tool. On top of that, when the wireless does come up, all the pages I tried to load pick up where they left off instead of me having to reload them all. It's smart, I like that.

jon l. dawson
Forum Regular
Apr 28, 2005, 03:34 AM

Originally Posted by Jernberg
On my dual G5 2 Ghz (Rev. A), any disc that is loaded in the internal Superdrive gets STUCK and cannot be ejected. When I drag'n'drop the discs icon to the dock eject, the disc icon disappears from the Desktop but the disc won't come out.

First, I thought it was due to a "bad OS install", so I tried making a new user account. Problem still there. Then, to be 100% sure, I tried to make a fresh install on my second hard drive. Problem still there. The bug's 100% re-producable.

This you are suggesting is a Tiger bug? I'm confused too, you haven't clearly said what circumstances it does work under, and if whether or not you've ruled out the hardware or media because that's what it sounds like. You did a fresh install of what, Tiger, on your second hard drive? What about if you replace it with Panther, how does it work then?

Forum Links
Forum Rules