Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 12" Powerbook G4 (official waiting list)

12" Powerbook G4 (official waiting list) (Page 3)
JustinD
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 21, 2003, 01:00 AM

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

"We could not locate an order with the information you have entered below, please try again."

Edu. Inst. purchase. AHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

MikeD
Mac Elite
Jan 21, 2003, 01:04 AM

Originally posted by OtegaTamas:
Oh well I just had to throw myself out there also, I too need to get mine so I can leave for Europe, but alas, my ticket is for the 30th! What are my odds?
Except for RAM, you have the same config as I do.. So you should be getting yours soon hopefully. Check your orderstatus and see what it says.

MikeD
Mac Elite
Jan 21, 2003, 01:06 AM

Originally posted by AAPL Pismo:
Congrats!!! Curious...what did the delivery date originally indicate?

Bishop
It was quoted "on or before 2/7/02"

JustinD
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 21, 2003, 01:10 AM

WHEW. my order is back... hmmm still say "on or before 2/7"!! I said it before and I'll say it again, I really do think us Edu customers get the complete and total SHAFT - and I'm not surprised that Apple is losing it's slice of Edu customers! (not complaining about my ORDER mind you, just some pre-complaining: when the Tis were released, Educational customers got theirs as much as a MONTH AFTER other customers! grrr! hope there's not a repeat!)

My order was 640 RAM/60 GB HD/Combo/AP Extreme. ... . . . . . .

MikeD
Mac Elite
Jan 21, 2003, 03:02 AM

Originally posted by JustinD:
WHEW. my order is back... hmmm still say "on or before 2/7"!! I said it before and I'll say it again, I really do think us Edu customers get the complete and total SHAFT - and I'm not surprised that Apple is losing it's slice of Edu customers! (not complaining about my ORDER mind you, just some pre-complaining: when the Tis were released, Educational customers got theirs as much as a MONTH AFTER other customers! grrr! hope there's not a repeat!)

My order was 640 RAM/60 GB HD/Combo/AP Extreme. ... . . . . . .
By the way... My order was an Education order.

AlbertWu
Professional Poster
Jan 21, 2003, 03:25 AM

also an education order... 2/6/3
Ad Astra Per Aspera - Semper Exploro

spapa
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 21, 2003, 03:48 AM

I will receive mine at LA. It is now coming from Taiwan but I discovered that the destination is neither LA nor Cupertino. The destination is Indianapolis and IN is not Fedex headqurter either.

Actually, this is my first time to place an order at apple store. So, I am curious to know why the merchandise goes to Indianapolis.

Any Idea?

JustinD
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 21, 2003, 10:32 AM

Oh MAN! Guess I'm the odd Edu.-Inst.-Customer out!

How annoying!

AlbertWu
Professional Poster
Jan 21, 2003, 12:16 PM

Originally posted by spapa:
I will receive mine at LA. It is now coming from Taiwan but I discovered that the destination is neither LA nor Cupertino. The destination is Indianapolis and IN is not Fedex headqurter either.

Actually, this is my first time to place an order at apple store. So, I am curious to know why the merchandise goes to Indianapolis.

Any Idea?

wait... yours shipped?
Ad Astra Per Aspera - Semper Exploro

avramd
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 21, 2003, 06:39 PM

I actually placed my order before the apple store came back online - I called in. If any orders got in before mine, it was only b/c I hmmm'd & haww'd for a couple minutes on which memory configuration to choose.

I got Superdrive, 60GB, and 640 MB.

My estimated ship date is "on or before Feb 10." I guess the customized order is what got me behind some of you Jan 8th'ers.

Incidentally, I originally ordered 256 MB RAM, thinking that was soldered, and I'd order a chip 3rd party cheaper to max it out. Then when I learned I wouldn't be saving much, and would be giving myself a headache, I called to change the order.

The said they would cancel & place a new order, and I refused. They said they couldn't change an order, only cancel, so I raised a huge fuss, didn't make the change, and called back until I found someone who gave a damned. I begged her to find a way to change the order contents w/out cancelling, and to preserve my order number. She went behind the scenes, and found a way to do it.

This all happened at about 10am PST on the 9th. So, I still have my original order #, but the order shows "cancelled" on the original line item, and has a new line item entered below it.

Unfortunately, I never checked the "est ship time" before that (actually, it was the old Status page, and I don't think it had that info). So, it's unclear whether my order change delayed my shipping, but for now it is still "Open."

hibbacross
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 21, 2003, 06:58 PM

I think any shipping activity is going to happen at night because As of 6pm ET it is only 7am in Tiwan. Heres hoping they ship tonight
Garrett

ae77
Forum Regular
Jan 21, 2003, 07:49 PM

Originally posted by hibbacross:
I think any shipping activity is going to happen at night because As of 6pm ET it is only 7am in Tiwan. Heres hoping they ship tonight
good point!
^_^

OtegaTamas
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 21, 2003, 10:03 PM

Interesting... I have just checked the status of my order, finding it has changed from 'open' to 'open?' have any of you seen this on yours?

gkorsgard
Jan 21, 2003, 11:36 PM

my order is now in open status too.

MikeD
Mac Elite
Jan 22, 2003, 12:40 AM

Originally posted by OtegaTamas:
Interesting... I have just checked the status of my order, finding it has changed from 'open' to 'open?' have any of you seen this on yours?
Mine has said "Open" for a couple of days now. What did yours say before? "Closed"?

OtegaTamas
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 22, 2003, 12:54 AM

open with a question mark ... is my status

"open?"

penmanila
Jan 22, 2003, 03:23 AM

a friend of mine who works at the apple store in new jersey (if there's more than one, then i don't know which one) just wrote me to say that they expect to receive the new 12-inch pbooks this friday, january 24. i don't know if he means just the display models or actual albooks for sale. i'll try to find out some more. (i have a maxed-out 12-inch on order myself from the apple store; ordered 1/14, scheduled for 2/12, pretty much like everybody else.)

MikeD
Mac Elite
Jan 22, 2003, 03:24 AM

Do the PB's get BTO in Taiwan as well? Do they go straight from there to the customer or does it go from taiwan to Apple to customer?

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Jan 22, 2003, 04:52 AM

Mine's "Being Assembled"....

mikerally  (op)
Senior User
Jan 22, 2003, 05:49 AM

Remember, anyone who choses to get Airport Extreme will have a BTO Order.

Whether that will make the order take longer, I don't know.

Just some notes on my order:

- I didn't Max out the RAM because I think Apple charges too much for it. I will get the RAM elsewhere when I'm ready (even at the waste of a 128MB DIMM it would most likely be cheaper - need to research this).

- I didn't increase the hard drive size because both the 40GB and 60GB drives only run at 4200rpm. At some point I will get a 5400rpm drive in the future (when the warranty expires) - perhaps one of those IBM GNX liquid bearing HDs.

- I didn't get the Superdrive, it's too slow, slow at writing DVD-R (45mins-1hr and doesn't even support RW), and slow at writing CDs, and I don't feel like tinkering with the Firmware to get 2x DVD-R. Instead in a year's time when Apple delivers better slot loading Superdrives, I will find a way to get hold of one and fit it myself.

*Just as a side note, I think the desktop Superdrives are WAY too slow also, only the Pioneer A05 4x DVD-R/16x CD-R has enough speed for me to consider getting the drive. I use the older Pioneer drives at work on a regular basis, and they're so slow it's awful.

- I did order Airport Extreme, that I do need - have Airport at home, at Work, and at the local Starbucks

Finally,

What happened to the 17inch Powerbook official waiting list some other guy started? It's fallen off the first page of this forum.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 22, 2003, 06:35 AM

Originally posted by mikerally:

Just some notes on my order:

- I didn't Max out the RAM because I think Apple charges too much for it. I will get the RAM elsewhere when I'm ready (even at the waste of a 128MB DIMM it would most likely be cheaper - need to research this).
(I'm not sure if the UK Applestore is charging prices that are drastically different from the US store, so keep that in mind with my comments)

For once Apple seems to be charging a reasonable amount for its RAM upgrades. It's $150 for an additional 512MB (true, it's actually for an additional 384MB since you don't get to keep the standard 128MB). It seems that most online retailers are actually selling 512MB of DDR RAM for more than Apple's price. Remember that DDR RAM is more expensive than the RAM we are used to getting for Apple portables.

- I didn't increase the hard drive size because both the 40GB and 60GB drives only run at 4200rpm. At some point I will get a 5400rpm drive in the future (when the warranty expires) - perhaps one of those IBM GNX liquid bearing HDs.
Still, $50 for an additional 20GB seems quite reasonable (again, especially for Apple). I just hope that the machine is easier to open up than the ibook.

- I didn't get the Superdrive, it's too slow, slow at writing DVD-R (45mins-1hr and doesn't even support RW), and slow at writing CDs, and I don't feel like tinkering with the Firmware to get 2x DVD-R. Instead in a year's time when Apple delivers better slot loading Superdrives, I will find a way to get hold of one and fit it myself.
I'm not sure if it is a good idea to count on being able to replace the superdrive yourself. Aside from the difficulty of the installation itself, the cost may well be prohibitive (if you can actually get your hands on the drive).

MikeD
Mac Elite
Jan 22, 2003, 10:26 AM

hey everyone... remember my shipping said 1-3 days??? Well, guess what...

It changed back to "on or before 2/7/03.

Oh well

take a deep breath....

spapa, what's the update on your PB?! Hope you get it soon!

avramd
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 22, 2003, 10:57 AM

Yeah man, that happened to a bunch of us. I was told that on the 7th when I ordered mine. Then the next day, I got an email saying "oops, we made a mistake..."

Infinite Loop
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 22, 2003, 12:46 PM

mginsberg
Jan 22, 2003, 12:56 PM

my status is also on or before 2/7/2003. I called the Apple Store (800-MY-APPLE) and they told me anytime between 1/27 and 2/7/2003. That puts it *possibly* at next week. I am sure the BTO options will be delaying it somewhat.

Fast shipping to all...

avramd
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 22, 2003, 02:40 PM

(edited)

Hey Infinite Loop - what was your order#?

I'm wondering how far behind (or ahead of) you I was in ordering!
( Last edited by avramd; Jan 22, 2003 at 03:59 PM. )

oogje
Jan 22, 2003, 03:44 PM

Just picked one up at the Soho store.

dagmar
Forum Regular
Jan 22, 2003, 03:57 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by oogje:
[B]Just picked one up at the Soho store.

Are you in a position to post more pictures anywhere, and/or your personal description/opinion

oogje
Jan 22, 2003, 04:01 PM

Yes, I just posted a few more to http://homepage.mac.com/oogje/PhotoAlbum6.html

So far I haven't even set it up but I certainly like it.

MikeD
Mac Elite
Jan 22, 2003, 04:14 PM

Looks like a lot of the people who ordered the stock config or Apple store's Stock config received them and or about to get them.

which brings me to this, who does the BTO? and how long does that usually add to the wait?

Mike

JustinD
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 22, 2003, 04:30 PM

*kicking myself for getting BTO*

I'd actually be interested to see iff Edu. Inst. BTOs get kicked behind consumer BTOs. I placed an Edu. Inst. BTO order on the 8th, right now is is slated before 2/7...

elvis2000
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 22, 2003, 04:41 PM

Originally posted by oogje:
Just picked one up at the Soho store.

LOVE this picture. And I know right where that is. Damn me for leaving Manhattan for a better job in Cleveland. Though my cost of living is half what it was in NYC, and my salary doubled --- I could have a new 12" *right now* damnit.

oogje
Jan 22, 2003, 04:55 PM

Here's the Early Bird T-shirt...

ebisix
Forum Regular
Jan 22, 2003, 05:03 PM

I just noticed something about those pictures above. Look at the keyboards in the second and third pictures. The spacebar on the last photo is very small. Does the keyboard change depending on whether you get SuperDrive or combo drive? I'd rather get that keyboard with a bigger spacebar.

Thanks.
( Last edited by ebisix; Jul 19, 2003 at 01:38 AM. )

cwasko
Senior User
Jan 22, 2003, 05:09 PM

Originally posted by ebisix:
I was just looking at this forum and noticed something. Look is the keyboards in the second and third pictures. They are different a lot. I heard that there were some differences but not that many. The spacebar on the last photo is very small. Does the keyboard change depending on whether you get superdrive or combo drive. I'd rather get that keyboard with a bigger spacebar and one-line return/enter key. Thanks.
I'm not sure if this has anything to do with it, but I think the keyboard shown in the last picture is a Japanese keyboard. If you look closely you'll see that there are multiple markings in every key, as well as the pictures come from a .jp domain.

hibbacross
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 22, 2003, 05:09 PM

Maby becasue it is a Japanese Model. Yea the spacebar does look kind of strange.

Edit:cwasko beat me to it
Garrett

tyson.r
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 22, 2003, 05:19 PM

If you look at the keyboard above you'll also notice the return key is a bit different...kinda like a PC return key. Here in Germany the return key looks like that to make room for the ��� keys. I've never noticed the spacebar being that small...I hope its not on my 12in pb.

MikeD
Mac Elite
Jan 22, 2003, 06:34 PM

Anyone know when BTO's start getting made? Do they ship from Taiwan to an Apple BTO Center where they put them together?

Mike

ebisix
Forum Regular
Jan 22, 2003, 06:41 PM

Originally posted by cwasko:
I'm not sure if this has anything to do with it, but I think the keyboard shown in the last picture is a Japanese keyboard. If you look closely you'll see that there are multiple markings in every key, as well as the pictures come from a .jp domain.
I see it now. That's a strange keyboard alright.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 22, 2003, 08:18 PM

Yes, it is a Japanese keyboard. The small space bar is the main reason I got an English keyboard BTO.

mikerally  (op)
Senior User
Jan 23, 2003, 04:52 AM

(I'm not sure if the UK Applestore is charging prices that are drastically different from the US store, so keep that in mind with my comments)

For once Apple seems to be charging a reasonable amount for its RAM upgrades. It's $150 for an additional 512MB (true, it's actually for an additional 384MB since you don't get to keep the standard 128MB). It seems that most online retailers are actually selling 512MB of DDR RAM for more than Apple's price. Remember that DDR RAM is more expensive than the RAM we are used to getting for Apple portables.
Right, I did some research on the RAM issue.

To max out the RAM to 640MB I need to buy a 512MB DDR SODIMM.

The Apple Store in the UK charges you �118 to do this.

But Crucial UK charges �112 (with free shipping) for the same SODIMM, and you also get to keep the other 128MB DIMM in the Powerbook slot and sell it on.

Even though Apple charges slightly more, they do infact give a good price, but I'm so impatient to get the machine that I don't want to add any options to slow down it's shipping time.

I did add Airport Extreme, I probably should have ordered the card seperately and not as a BTO option - if putting the Airport card in myself can get it to me earlier - the better.

JustinD
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 23, 2003, 12:27 PM

Hmmm! Thinking about it, could it be the AP Extreme cards delaying our BTO orders? Obviously they have the 'books, and I'm POSITIVE they have the memory and drives, but perhaps the APX cards, being in a new form factor for Apple and all, are holding things up?

Just a thought... hey, I gotta do SOMEthing while I wait for my PB.

Oh wait, I could always be working... meh!

n_lim
Forum Regular
Jan 23, 2003, 12:34 PM

Add me to the waiting list! After weeks of deliberation and trying to find a better deal on a BTO through a reseller (i didn't) i placed my order this morning for the following:

12" AluBook
Superdrive
640MB Ram
60GB HD

Education order, probably will arrive weeks after all of you that placed right after the keynote. Pretty excited, but I know I have a long wait ahead of me. Wish they offered the Superdrive as the "best" model instead of a BTO so we would have more options for reseller bundles. Some of those bundles are looking terrific with free airport or extra battery and the ubiquitous free printer.

Sold my Ti667 Rev. B (DVD only, no dvi) a week before MWSF and was planning on getting an ibook 800 combo, but very glad that the 12" came out. School required me to buy a PC (graduate school - architecture) to run autocad so I have been using a cheapo Dell 2.4ghz PC I got for $600 (gotta love fatwallet) for a couple months and I have to say - i hate PC's. LOL, but seriously, it is the little things that differentiate macs. My dell sucks at multi-tasking, i hate entourage, and it just simply is not as elegant as a mac in its UI and overall implementation. On the plus side, it was $600 with an LCD monitor and a great graphics card and Kazaa blows Limewire away. But other than that, i need my mac back!

mginsberg
Jan 23, 2003, 12:41 PM

Someone else reported that they got their PB 12 inch already and that the Airport Extreme card would come in a second shipment. So it looks like they are not holding back shipments if you did a BTO on an Airport card.

It will be encouraging as some BTO PB 12 inches start to show up. I ordered mine (640/60gb/SuperDrive/Airport) on 1/9/2003, so I will be sure to report when my order status changes.

douthat
Jan 23, 2003, 05:22 PM

Originally posted by mginsberg:
Someone else reported that they got their PB 12 inch already and that the Airport Extreme card would come in a second shipment. So it looks like they are not holding back shipments if you did a BTO on an Airport card.

It will be encouraging as some BTO PB 12 inches start to show up. I ordered mine (640/60gb/SuperDrive/Airport) on 1/9/2003, so I will be sure to report when my order status changes.
I ordered a BTO 12 incher on the 10th with 640MB of RAM, 60GB HD, and Airport extreme card..

I'm not holding my breath

<edit> and superdrive </edit>
( Last edited by douthat; Jan 23, 2003 at 06:05 PM. )

TheBum
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 23, 2003, 05:53 PM

Originally posted by douthat:
I ordered a BTO 12 incher on the 10th with 640MB of RAM, 60GB HD, and Airport extreme card..

I'm not holding my breath
The ones with SuperDrives are probably going to be the last shipped out (of course, mine is one of them ). I say that because of the delay in the release of iLife and the fact that all of the iLife apps except iDVD (which only SuperDrive AlBook owners will likely be able to take advantage of) will be available for free downloading. I saw another post somewhere that supports that position, saying that iLife will ship with the SuperDrive-equipped AlBooks.

mikerally  (op)
Senior User
Jan 23, 2003, 06:02 PM

Hmmm! Thinking about it, could it be the AP Extreme cards delaying our BTO orders? Obviously they have the 'books, and I'm POSITIVE they have the memory and drives, but perhaps the APX cards, being in a new form factor for Apple and all, are holding things up?

Just a thought... hey, I gotta do SOMEthing while I wait for my PB.

Oh wait, I could always be working... meh!
AFAIK all those people who received their Powerbooks and posted pictures did not get Airport Extreme (none of the mentioned it in the config they got) - to boot the front page of MacNN cites delays in the shipping of Airport Extreme (along with iLife, the 17inch PB and etc).
( Last edited by mikerally; Jan 23, 2003 at 06:09 PM. )

rustyclockwork
Forum Regular
Jan 23, 2003, 07:03 PM

I didn't get Airport on my 12", nor was is BTO, but I did use the education discount... ordered it on the 9th.

I live two hours from Apple's point of entry for this shipment... Indianapolis.

hope it comes in soon :-)

EDIT... I'm sorry, I ordered it on the 13th, my memory is terrible.

Jason
( Last edited by rustyclockwork; Jan 23, 2003 at 07:11 PM. )

kiltwearer2000
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 24, 2003, 11:06 AM

UK Edu store, BTO order 384Mb Ram with SuperDrive.

Just got my shipping confirmation email = it shipped 24/1/03 !!

(was ordered 8th Jan)

Yay!

mginsberg
Jan 24, 2003, 11:30 AM

Originally posted by kiltwearer2000:
UK Edu store, BTO order 384Mb Ram with SuperDrive.

Just got my shipping confirmation email = it shipped 24/1/03 !!

(was ordered 8th Jan)

Yay!
That is excellent news that a BTO with a SuperDrive has shipped, that gives us all hope

Forum Links
Forum Rules