Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > I Love my iPod...but damn XM is owning me.

I Love my iPod...but damn XM is owning me.
SOLIDAge
Mac Elite
Apr 11, 2005, 11:33 PM

It's incredible.
i'm addicted to Opie and Anthony.
It is AMAZING how i can listen to it anywhere with my SkyFi2 and Boombox
and it's DOUBLY amazing how i can program my favorite artists in the SkyFi2 and it will alert me when they are on ANYWHERE in the XM world, it's like a dynamically changing playlist 24/7 commercial free.

I love my iPod to death, but in all honesty? when i go into my car with my iPod i usually want to listen to one or two songs, and then i'm just like "eh whatever" My SkyFi just has great songs all the time SOMEWHERE on one of the stations.

I'm not replacing my iPod, hell i'll get an album or two, and listen to them in the car or when with some friends, but the XM is truely amazing.

I just thought i'd share this.

zerostar
Mac Elite
Apr 11, 2005, 11:38 PM

I have to 100% agree with you... except I have Sirius

sideus
Mac Elite
Apr 11, 2005, 11:55 PM

I used to have XM until it started sounded like an 8kb/sec realaudio stream. Great selection of channels though.

I've since gone back to talk radio or playing CDs.

SOLIDAge  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 12, 2005, 12:00 AM

Originally posted by sideus:
I used to have XM until it started sounded like an 8kb/sec realaudio stream. Great selection of channels though.

I've since gone back to talk radio or playing CDs.
if anything after their launch of their third Satellite, it's sounded better.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Apr 12, 2005, 12:12 AM

Originally posted by SOLIDAge:
It's incredible.
i'm addicted to Opie and Anthony.
It is AMAZING how i can listen to it anywhere with my SkyFi2 and Boombox
and it's DOUBLY amazing how i can program my favorite artists in the SkyFi2 and it will alert me when they are on ANYWHERE in the XM world, it's like a dynamically changing playlist 24/7 commercial free.

I love my iPod to death, but in all honesty? when i go into my car with my iPod i usually want to listen to one or two songs, and then i'm just like "eh whatever" My SkyFi just has great songs all the time SOMEWHERE on one of the stations.

I'm not replacing my iPod, hell i'll get an album or two, and listen to them in the car or when with some friends, but the XM is truely amazing.

I just thought i'd share this.
I guess I live in a city with good standard radio. I just can't see paying for it. While you are correct, it is a dynamically changing playlist 24/7... you really don't have any say in what is in the Mix... and you never own the music... or go back and listen to a song again...

Also, with Podcasting, I feel XM is less attractive IMHO.

Different strokes for different folks...

SOLIDAge  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 12, 2005, 12:15 AM

Originally posted by mitchell_pgh:
or go back and listen to a song again...
with my SkyFi2 i can pause and rewind live radio and recall up to 30 minutes of songs.

this is an AMAZING feature.

It's also amazing how XM plays songs that aren't even released as singles, they just have a deep, deep library.

starman
Clinically Insane
Apr 12, 2005, 12:18 AM

with my SkyFi2 i can pause and rewind live radio and recall up to 30 minutes of songs.

this is an AMAZING feature.

It's also amazing how XM plays songs that aren't even released as singles, they just have a deep, deep library.
So does my iPod.

Here in NY/NJ, unless you like county (/gag), there's no need to pay for radio.

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

SOLIDAge  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 12, 2005, 12:20 AM

Originally posted by starman:
So does my iPod.

Here in NY/NJ, unless you like county (/gag), there's no need to pay for radio.

Mike
but you can argue that for anywhere.
people talk about it and complain about paying for it, but it's a different experience it IS NOT like FM/AM radio at ALL and always has something on of interest which can be found simply by browsing who is playing by Artist, song, or Genre.

starman
Clinically Insane
Apr 12, 2005, 12:27 AM

but you can argue that for anywhere.
people talk about it and complain about paying for it, but it's a different experience it IS NOT like FM/AM radio at ALL and always has something on of interest which can be found simply by browsing who is playing by Artist, song, or Genre.
We've been through this in other threads. XM is great, but it lacks a few things:

1) I can't listen to what I want to listen to when I want to listen to it.
2) No local concert info on these "no commercial" stations.
3) Cuts out a lot (at least here)

Mike

SOLIDAge  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 12, 2005, 12:35 AM

We've been through this in other threads. XM is great, but it lacks a few things:

1) I can't listen to what I want to listen to when I want to listen to it.
2) No local concert info on these "no commercial" stations.
3) Cuts out a lot (at least here)

Mike
1) when you build a Tuneselect list like I have...chances are there is going to be SOMETHING you want to hear on ALL the time.
as for EXACT songs and Artist? obviously you cant' do that.
2) i'm sorry, but i can't remember the last time i was informed of an upcoming concert due to it being sponsered by a station, even when i lived in NY.
3) back in the day it did, but with the added satellites and now terrestrial ground units in larger cities it is supposedly better.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Apr 12, 2005, 12:37 AM

I just find it strange that many people go out and spend $200+ on an XM setup... then $9+ a month for the service... and in the end, you don't have anything.

I realize I do the same thing for TV and rent (I'm working on a house), but that's a little different IMHO.

starman
Clinically Insane
Apr 12, 2005, 12:41 AM

Originally posted by mitchell_pgh:
I just find it strange that many people go out and spend $200+ on an XM setup... then $9+ a month for the service... and in the end, you don't have anything.

I realize I do the same thing for TV and rent (I'm working on a house), but that's a little different IMHO.
It's different because of one thing - quality in cable vs. satellite TV. Satellite TV kicks ass. Cable still looks snowy and crappy, and probably always will until HD becomes more mainstream.

I can't pay for radio. It's stupid IMO. I'll wake up in the morning and think "ooh, I want to listen to such-and-such on the way into work". Then I'll listen to the radio sometimes and I'll hear "Motorhead will be at the Starland Ballroom on March 23rd". You won't get that on XM radio if you're listening to a rock station with nobody to tell you that. Also, I don't travel the 3 major roads on my way to/from work, and WDHA always has traffic reports on the little roads. Very important.

My friend tried to get my hooked on XM, but in the end I just couldn't justify it when I spent all this time and effort on an iPod, and get so much from local radio.

Mike

SOLIDAge  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 12, 2005, 12:46 AM

I can't pay for radio. It's stupid IMO. I'll wake up in the morning and think "ooh, I want to listen to such-and-such on the way into work". Then I'll listen to the radio sometimes and I'll hear "Motorhead will be at the Starland Ballroom on March 23rd". You won't get that on XM radio if you're listening to a rock station with nobody to tell you that.

A) http://www.pollstar.com

B) I think about what i want to hear 90% of the time..but it ends after that ONE song i want to hear.
in the morning i DO NOT LISTEN TO MUSIC, it's always talk, it's to god damned early for me.

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 12, 2005, 01:07 AM

My wife bought me a SkyFi2 last Christmas.

It was nice. She got it for me for the MLB and NASCAR coverage. I really enjoy it.

I don't get Opie & Anthony. Every time I try to listen to them I get bored out of my skull in about 2 minutes. Does it get better? What's the premise of their show?
- MacBook Air M2 16GB / 512GB
- MacBook Pro 16" i9 2.4Ghz 32GB / 1TB
- MacBook Pro 15" i7 2.9Ghz 16GB / 512GB
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB
- G4 Cube 500Mhz / Shelf display unit / Museum display

SOLIDAge  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 12, 2005, 01:15 AM

Originally posted by driven:
My wife bought me a SkyFi2 last Christmas.

It was nice. She got it for me for the MLB and NASCAR coverage. I really enjoy it.

I don't get Opie & Anthony. Every time I try to listen to them I get bored out of my skull in about 2 minutes. Does it get better? What's the premise of their show?
i just find them funny.
their soundboards
Jimmy is the best.
their assults on the media
Patty the Virgin
Anthony's impression of Tony Danza
it's just funny funny ****

Forum Links
Forum Rules