Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Jetflash for Mac

Jetflash for Mac
CDS2015
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 17, 2015, 01:23 PM

Hi everyone!

I have 8GB USB, there is no folder in there but i don't have space.
So, clearly it's not empty
how can i clean my usb and to have my 8GB back?
Thanks

K
USB info:
Format: MS-DOS (FAT32)
Capacity: 8.01 GB
Used: 7,993,749,504 bytes (7.99 GB on disk)

P
Mar 17, 2015, 01:33 PM

First try emptying the trash. If that doesn't work, come back we'll guide you to more complex solutions.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

jmiddel
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 17, 2015, 02:23 PM

Fire up Disk Utility, reformat the usb stick in hfs+ format. Your Mac can't read a FAT formatted device.

P
Mar 17, 2015, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by jmiddel View Post
Fire up Disk Utility, reformat the usb stick in hfs+ format. Your Mac can't read a FAT formatted device.
Ehm... Yes it can. Apple added that feature in 1991 or thereabouts. It can even read NTFS (although not write to it).
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 17, 2015, 04:36 PM

There are solutions to write to NTFS with OS X. I did the Fuse, NTFS-3G thing after seanc (who was a mod here) recommended it.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 17, 2015, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by P View Post
Ehm... Yes it can. Apple added that feature in 1991 or thereabouts. It can even read NTFS (although not write to it).
I think you needed PC Exchange at the time, which initially cost money, but was bundled for free at some point in the early/mid-nineties.

So, yeah.

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 18, 2015, 08:21 AM

At least since 2006 (when I got my MBP), OS X has been able to natively read/write FAT devices. Several years ago I used an add on to write to NTFS partitions, but write capability is IN OS X, though not active. A search on "OS X NTFS native" will turn up a number of hits that give directions on how to activate it - at your own risk.

In any case OP, does that USB device mount and read on anything other than your Mac?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

P
Mar 18, 2015, 08:34 AM

TAN, but Apple had software that let you read PC disks in System 6. I used that on a Mac IIcx in what must have been 1990 - I understand that it was bundled with that machine. It was a separate application that would let you copy single files rather than a Finder extension (and the Finder still offered to reformat if you inserted a drive without the data transfer software running). Because that was too finicky, software like AccessPC that let you access the disks in the Finder was developed by third parties, and eventually Apple made something similar in PC Exchange.

It may have been commercial software initially, I don't remember. Or maybe it was like MacTCP, which was not free and impossible to buy but was bundled with all sorts of software and hardware, so pretty much everyone had it. Apple was pretty dysfunctional back then.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 18, 2015, 12:47 PM

Ah, here:

System 7.0 through 7.1 offered a utility called Apple File Exchange, which could access the contents of FAT- and Apple II-formatted floppy disks. System 7 Pro, System 7.5 and up shipped with PC Exchange, previously a separate product, which allowed the system to mount FAT-formatted floppy disks on the desktop in the same manner as regular Macintosh disks. System 7 also can read HPFS and NTFS formatted drives.
http://www.mac-history.net/computer-...24/mac-os-70-2

PC Exchange was a commercial product in 1992, and bundled in System 7 Pro in '93.

P
Mar 18, 2015, 04:44 PM

System 7 can read NTFS? NTFS which was introduced 2 years after System 7 launched? NTFS which doesn't work on floppies at all and was never used on CDs? The only use case for that would have been an external SCSI drive formatted on a PC and brought over to a Mac, but that must have happened about once in the history of the universe, as PCs mostly used IDE at the time. I think the author is confused about having once read floppies written on NT - NT used FAT for floppies - or over the network - NT could serve files using AppleShare. But anyway, thanks for the link - Apple File Exchange sounds like the thing. I remember the "Exchange" bit for some reason.

Forum Links
Forum Rules