Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > which SATA interface in "Late 2007" Macbooks?

which SATA interface in "Late 2007" Macbooks?
Zarafa
Forum Regular
Nov 6, 2007, 03:48 PM

What type of SATA interface do the new MacBooks have? I can't find this on the Apple spec pages and have not yet had the opportunity to check one out in person.

I'm about to order a new black MacBook, and am thinking about getting a separate "Seagate Momentus 7200.2 SATA 3.0Gb/s 200-GB" (model ST9200420AS) hard drive to replace the existing drive. But is the internal interface SATA-150 or SATA-300? If only SATA-150, I might change which replacement I pick. I'm sure the default drive is SATA-150, but that doesn't speak to the laptop's interface.

Thanks in advance.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Nov 6, 2007, 06:34 PM

ICH8M supports SATA 3.0Gb/s, but it doesn't matter; SATA 1.5Gb/s and 3.0Gb/s controllers/devices are fully compatible and laptop drives can't saturate SATA 1.5Gb/s anyway.
( Last edited by mduell; Nov 6, 2007 at 06:41 PM. )

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Nov 6, 2007, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
It doesn't matter, since SATA 1.5Gb/s and SATA 3.0Gb/s devices are fully compatible and laptop drives can't saturate SATA 1.5Gb/s anyway.
Even the 7200 RPM drives?

I have the 1st gen MacBook (which has SATA 1) and I was wondering what HD I should get to upgrade it. The ones at OWC are SATA 2, last time I run a SATA 2 drive on a SATA 1 interface it was slower than PATA.
( Last edited by C.A.T.S. CEO; Nov 6, 2007 at 07:29 PM. )
Signature depreciated.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Nov 6, 2007, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by C.A.T.S. CEO View Post
Even the 7200 RPM drives?

I have the 1st gen MacBook (which has SATA 1) and I was wondering what HD I should get to upgrade it. The ones at OWC are SATA 2, last time I run a SATA 2 drive on a SATA 1 interface it was slower than PATA.
The fastest 2.5" 7200RPM drives top out at about 70MBps.

That sounds like a bug, not normal behavior. Did the drive have a jumper to choose between 1.5Gb/s and 3GB/s?

OWC's drives are overpriced; go to Newegg and get the same thing for less.

BTW, "SATA 1" and "SATA 2" don't mean anything. See the SATA-IO naming guidelines here.

Dork.
Professional Poster
Nov 6, 2007, 09:54 PM

The drive in my new MacBook is a Fujitsu MHY2080BH.

System Profiler says the Macbook is using an Intel ICH8-M (I assume that's the SATA interface chip), AHCI Version 1.10, at 1.5 Gigabit.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Nov 7, 2007, 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by Dork. View Post
System Profiler says the Macbook is using an Intel ICH8-M (I assume that's the SATA interface chip), AHCI Version 1.10, at 1.5 Gigabit.
Actually, the ICH8-M is the southbridge which is Intel lingo for the i/o controller hub (and hence "ICH"). It is the SATA controller, but it also does PATA, PCI, USB, audio, etc.

(image not yet updated for the latest MBs)

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Nov 7, 2007, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
The fastest 2.5" 7200RPM drives top out at about 70MBps.

That sounds like a bug, not normal behavior. Did the drive have a jumper to choose between 1.5Gb/s and 3GB/s?

OWC's drives are overpriced; go to Newegg and get the same thing for less.

BTW, "SATA 1" and "SATA 2" don't mean anything. See the SATA-IO naming guidelines here.
I don't know if the drive has the 1.5 jumper on, but it would explain why my MacBook is so slow on boot. So are you telling me that the SATA controller is 1.5 or 3 Gbit?
Signature depreciated.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Nov 7, 2007, 06:47 PM

I don't know if the drive has the 1.5 jumper on, but it would explain why my MacBook is so slow on boot.
You shouldn't need to use the jumper, but if it's there it's for situations like this.

So are you telling me that the SATA controller is 1.5 or 3 Gbit?
It's 3.0 Gb/s, as I said in my first reply.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Nov 8, 2007, 04:02 AM

Although Apple is using Intel's ICH8-M which is capable of 3.0 Gbps SATA, Apple labels it 1.5 Gbps on both MBP and MB documentation.

Now either they simply mislabeled it for some reason or they have actually limited it in firmware. If the latter's actually the case you sure wonder why. OTOH since no 2.5" drive can actually saturate a 1.5 Gbps SATA link it's not relevant for everyday performance.

Forum Links
Forum Rules