Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > cell phone as modem only on 1 USB port?

cell phone as modem only on 1 USB port?
MacsGalor
Senior User
Nov 14, 2003, 07:16 PM

I use my Sanyo 4900 Sprint PCS vision phone with my powerbook when I am on the road to connect to the internet. I have the phone to USB cable but I can only connect when I use the USB port on the right side. If I plug it into the left side the ASP will see it but when I click connect I get the message that the device does not exist. I also have a set of Sony USB travel speakers they will work in both ports but if I use the left I must go thru the sys prefs the choose then as the output. If I connect them to the right side the switch is automatic. what is the difference with the USB port on the left?

Tomster
Senior User
Nov 14, 2003, 07:51 PM

Noticed the same thing with my sanyo 5300. As far as I can deduce, the usb port is specific when initially creating the network profile. So if the profile was created with the usb plugged into the left, it will look only to the left. If you want to switch it, just delete the profile from all of your network locations, then recreate the profile.
Happily using a Mac since '89
MacPortable: 16Mhz 1meg/40meg System 6.0.8 - 16lbs Yeah baby!
Powerbook 17" 1.33Ghz 2GB/100GB 8x Superdrive
Powerbook 12" 867Mhz 1.125GB/80GB 2xDVD-R RPC1
MacbookPro 17" 2.33Ghz

spalding12
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 15, 2003, 08:45 AM

that really wouldn't make any sense as those USB ports are just part of an interior HUB. i have a 4-port hub (belkin) on my 17" rev. and the computer doesn't care on which side i plug it.

i understand what you are saying, but that goes against for what USB's were invented, in the first place

greg
Enjoy the ride... not just the destination

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Nov 15, 2003, 12:21 PM

Originally posted by spalding12:
that really wouldn't make any sense as those USB ports are just part of an interior HUB. i have a 4-port hub (belkin) on my 17" rev. and the computer doesn't care on which side i plug it.

i understand what you are saying, but that goes against for what USB's were invented, in the first place

greg
Actually, PowerBooks have two separate USB buses for their ports. All Macs have two USB buses - on the desktops with three USB ports, two are shared on one bus and the third is on its own bus.

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

spalding12
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 19, 2003, 11:25 PM

please tell me more about the connection speed you experience with SPRINT and the prices you are paying for that service.... and the reliability...

thanks in advance

greg
Enjoy the ride... not just the destination

Forum Links
Forum Rules