Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Curved Sofa

Curved Sofa
TaysonMiksmit
Sofa Spammer
Mar 23, 2013, 02:03 AM

Curve sofas are a great addition to any room. They really make decorating so much easier. They go great in the living room, family room, den or office. Just make sure that you have enough space for it to fit. Measure two times maybe even three just to make sure it is going to fit.

But they are not always the easiest to find. This is especially true if you live in a smaller town, without many furniture stores. Online is a great place to find furniture.

Find out more about curved sofas online you can read at my-lounge-blog

These sofas can be quite expensive and requires a huge investment. So be very careful in choosing this type of sofa, keeping in mind the space and structure of your living room.
( Last edited by reader50; Mar 23, 2013 at 04:01 AM. )

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Mar 23, 2013, 03:21 AM

You aren't beginning your stay here very well, my friend.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

reader50
Administrator
Mar 23, 2013, 04:02 AM

At least he posted it in the right forum.

Originally Posted by TaysonMiksmit View Post
Curve sofas are a great addition to any room.
This may not be literally true. There could be problems in a kitchen, bath, or closet. And while it may fit in a tax-audit room, I wouldn't call it a great addition.

andi*pandi
Mar 23, 2013, 08:23 AM

Yes, a curved sofa would not go very well in the kitchen. It would make the armoire jealous.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Mar 23, 2013, 09:22 AM

Speaking of kitchens, we're thinking of remodeling to French Colonial, similar to this:

It would lighten the room some, all the woods are currently a dark walnut.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Phileas
Mac Elite
Mar 23, 2013, 01:03 PM

Ahh, the traditional French Colonial extractor fan....

reader50
Administrator
Mar 23, 2013, 03:05 PM

It will lighten the room, and looks cool IMO. But you'll have to clean it a lot more. Any stain will show almost immediately.

In 2001, they announced a breakthrough in (near) frictionless coatings. But I haven't heard anything since. Such a coating on cabinet surfaces would permanently solve the cleaning problem.

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 23, 2013, 04:44 PM

I worry that the French Colonial look will end up being trendy. So, in 20 years, folks may look back and go "Wow, you did your kitchen back in the teen years" (2010-2019)

But I could be wrong. I chose dark hardwood on my house now. I might have the same problem with that.
- MacBook Air M2 16GB / 512GB
- MacBook Pro 16" i9 2.4Ghz 32GB / 1TB
- MacBook Pro 15" i7 2.9Ghz 16GB / 512GB
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB
- G4 Cube 500Mhz / Shelf display unit / Museum display

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 23, 2013, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by Phileas View Post
Ahh, the traditional French Colonial extractor fan....
- MacBook Air M2 16GB / 512GB
- MacBook Pro 16" i9 2.4Ghz 32GB / 1TB
- MacBook Pro 15" i7 2.9Ghz 16GB / 512GB
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB
- G4 Cube 500Mhz / Shelf display unit / Museum display

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 23, 2013, 07:57 PM

French Colonial styling absolutely requires French Colonial style help. Particularly with short skirts and frilly petticoats. But no curved sofas. Absolutely solid Louis XIV furniture, all the way.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Mar 23, 2013, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by driven View Post
I worry that the French Colonial look will end up being trendy. So, in 20 years, folks may look back and go "Wow, you did your kitchen back in the teen years" (2010-2019)

But I could be wrong. I chose dark hardwood on my house now. I might have the same problem with that.
I think it'll be okay, and I think 15-20 years between remodelings isn't too bad. That's quite a long time.

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
French Colonial styling absolutely requires French Colonial style help. Particularly with short skirts and frilly petticoats. But no curved sofas. Absolutely solid Louis XIV furniture, all the way.
You try getting our housekeeper into petticoats, she's built like a linebacker.
- Thomas Paine

subego
Clinically Insane
Mar 24, 2013, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
she's built like a linebacker.
The sweetest thing you can say about a lady next to "look at those Schwarzenegger thighs!"

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Mar 24, 2013, 12:25 PM

Well she was a forward for the Panamanian ladies national football team a couple decades ago, and I have no problem asking her to help me lift something that weighs a few 100lbs. That's actually one of the reasons we hired her, plus she's genuinely a very sweet person.
- Thomas Paine

andi*pandi
Mar 24, 2013, 01:10 PM

French Canadian Colony Kitchen:

Phileas
Mac Elite
Mar 24, 2013, 03:52 PM

Awesome stove, andi. I am shooting for something like that when we're rebuilding our house and kitchen in a couple of years.

Not trying to diss anybody's personal taste, but the "French Colonial" style sold in kitchen stores is neither French nor Colonial. All these guys do is stick some frills on a standard kitchen.

Shaddim, you've got a bit of money. Why not fly over to France and check out the antique markets down in the south - that'll give you the real thing. It's remarkably affordable to get pieces shipped across the Atlantic.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 24, 2013, 04:15 PM

It will probably also not look nearly as overloaded and kitschy (apologies, Shad, but I'm not a fan of the overbearing frilliness of that style).

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Mar 24, 2013, 04:27 PM

I'd stay with things the way they are, but I'm not the one doing the planning. That's what they want.

I do really like that stove, andi. I think it would be great to incorporate a nice wood burner into the plans.
- Thomas Paine

andi*pandi
Mar 24, 2013, 04:50 PM

I like the spaciousness of what you posted, it's nice having a kitchen connect to a sunny breakfast room like that. And a good work island.

My folks had a stove like that in the summer kitchen, we occasionally used it but had other wood stoves in the main house for heat, and a modern electric kitchen. I've been itching to redo our kitchen since we bought this house, everything works but the counter and cabinets are a mess.

andi*pandi
Mar 24, 2013, 04:51 PM

We should totally be posting pix of our sofas in this thread.

mindwaves
Mar 24, 2013, 07:14 PM

To each his own, but I think that that French colonial kitchen looks extremely tacky and way overdone. Lose the frills and the spotted range hood, and add a splash of color, and it will look more like my taste (but not my taste).

subego
Clinically Insane
Mar 24, 2013, 08:54 PM

Restoration Hardware "Lancaster". Holds up extremely well to pets. Doesn't look as vinyl-like IRL. Very comfy to fall asleep on, but you always feel crappy and sore when you wake up.

Phileas
Mac Elite
Mar 25, 2013, 09:43 AM

Will post a sofa shot this evening. We've got a lovely mid century rosewood sofa in the family room.

Also, a bit depressing that we're now relying on spammers to start threads.

Patrick
Mac Elite
Mar 25, 2013, 11:57 PM

I know you guys frown on advertising here, but…

Forum Links
Forum Rules