Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Apple Watch: Who's getting one?

Apple Watch: Who's getting one? (Page 9)
Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Apr 15, 2015, 11:14 AM

I have a friend in Ohio who has been ranting about how he won't pick up the Watch until the second generation. He texted me yesterday morning and said, "So, I went and tried it on. It's a lot better than I expected it to be."

Long story short, he explained through several text message paragraphs that he's crawfishing and getting one now. I'm wondering if the aforementioned iPad effect of "I thought I didn't need this, but..." is going to take hold.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 15, 2015, 11:17 AM

I had the exact same experience. When I had the watch on my wrist, it just felt right. My inner 5th grader said, holy ****, I have a computer on my wrist just like I always thought I would.

Only, I really really do not need one at all. I honestly barely get any notifications. I'm still waiting.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Apr 15, 2015, 11:19 AM

No one needs one.

The thing is, if I'm going to use a smart watch, I'm not going to rely on it to tell me to stand up and move around. I don't care if it sends my heartbeat. What I want is full control of notification behavior, a quick, intuitive UI, and a pretty design. The last one is probably my biggest hang-up with the Watch — I think it's borderline ugly.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 15, 2015, 11:19 AM

So it doesn't feel heavy at all?
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 15, 2015, 11:43 AM

Nope. It was actually quite light. It's also smaller than the watch I normally wear. It's much smaller in person than it looks in photos.

Well, the steel one was noticeably heavier, but still not heavy. Some of the bands might make it heavy. I didn't try on any of the metal bands.

I actually preferred the plastic band. It felt nice and looked good. It was hard to get on at first, but the human tether cord explained that it's best to hook it first and then tuck, and then it was easy. I was trying to tuck and then hook. So stupid.

I didn't like the feel of the traditional leather band or the mayonnaise loop. Both felt too stiff. I did like the bumpy leather band. The magnet closing action on it was really satisfying to click on and off. I could see myself fidgeting with it non-stop if I got that one.

I didn't try on any of the other bands.

MacinTommy  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 15, 2015, 12:36 PM

All leather bands will feel stiff for a while. I HATED breaking in my current watch but now it fits and feels perfect.

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 15, 2015, 07:47 PM

I looked at them today. Not feeling it.

The icons are way too small for me to target easily, especially in the context the watch is supposed to be used in. They look cool, but at the moment, they're just not for me.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Apr 16, 2015, 10:49 AM

Once some of you get your watches, you'd better be uploading some pics to this thread.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 16, 2015, 12:46 PM

I predict penis doodles created on Apple Watch will flood this thread soon.

Thanks Obama Jawbone.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

starman
Clinically Insane
Apr 16, 2015, 12:47 PM

I want to send heartbeats to everyone

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

MacinTommy  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 16, 2015, 08:53 PM

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 19, 2015, 11:38 AM

I ordered one. I made an appointment and went to my store, and tried on several different ones. I ordered the 42mm stainless with the stainless link bracelet, plus an extra Milanese loop bracelet! Can't wait!
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 20, 2015, 10:27 AM

Went into the local Apple Store and was surprised to see so many Wtaches on display. The reports and 'appointments' make it seem like it's a rare commodity, but there appeared to be at least 20 on display (including 4 of the Editions). Anyway, played with one (without an appointment), and i personally found the UI and software to be way more complicated that it should be (which is strange for an Apple product). The screen felt nice to touch and swipe, but as far as industrial design, it felt very "plain" (i'm a huge fan of minimalism, but this was just 'plain').

Also, looking at the gold ones.... they just didn't strike me as $10k time pieces.

I did get to play with a space-gray MacBook....now that, i want. (or maybe even a MBP in space gray!). The performance was surprisingly adequate for what it's meant for.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Apr 20, 2015, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
Also, looking at the gold ones.... they just didn't strike me as $10k time pieces.
That's going to be a problem.

$10,000 Rolex.

msuper69
Professional Poster
Apr 21, 2015, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Reread the post, there's no mention of a soft charge for the full price of the watch, only the Applecare.
The charge has disappeared from my account.
My order is still active.

MacinTommy  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 22, 2015, 12:12 PM

My account was finally charged Monday. I've never been happier to see 750$ be taken out of my account. My order status has changed to "Preparing for Shipment".

SSharon
Professional Poster
Apr 22, 2015, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
That's going to be a problem.

$10,000 Rolex.
I'm confused. Is that supposed to be an example of what a $10k watch should look like? The mustard yellow numbers just don't do it for me.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 22, 2015, 04:57 PM

Pretty much all fancy expensive watches just look awful to me.

I wouldn't wear that Rolex for free.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 23, 2015, 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by MacinTommy View Post
My account was finally charged Monday. I've never been happier to see 750$ be taken out of my account. My order status has changed to "Preparing for Shipment".
Good for you! I checked mine this morning, and it still says shipping in June!
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

MacinTommy  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 24, 2015, 08:51 AM

It's actually arriving today at my office in Illinois... But I'm in NY until Sunday. I'm debating stopping at the 5th Ave Apple Store to just see them in the flesh... Or should I just be patient?

MacinTommy  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 26, 2015, 08:36 PM

SSharon
Professional Poster
Apr 26, 2015, 09:13 PM

The more I see pictures of the watch the more I kind of want one. I don't really have a need for it, and it's expensive, and I'd like to wait until version 2, but I think it is at least worth checking out in person.

Anyway, does anyone know whether you can link an Apple watch to two iPhones? I carry two iPhones (one is for work) and would like to get notifications from both phones, but suspect that isn't a supported feature.

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 26, 2015, 09:16 PM

No, silly. You're supposed to buy two watches.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Apr 26, 2015, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
No, silly. You're supposed to buy two watches.
How could I be so foolish!? Would I wear them both on the same wrist or one on each?
But really, I can't be the only one here that carries two phones.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 27, 2015, 09:44 AM

My wife loves hers - we received it Friday afternoon.

It takes a bit of time to fully configure it, and she's still tweaking it.
The battery life is much better than expected - she went two days without a charge before it was down to 22% battery.
btw it is beautifully constructed, feels solid though the 38mm is a bit small for my eyes and fingers, for her it's perfect.
Looks like a winner.

pottymouth
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 27, 2015, 12:59 PM

Got mine!

First impression: my wrist does not like staying at watch-viewing angle for long periods of time. Ouch!

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 27, 2015, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by pottymouth View Post
Got mine!

First impression: my wrist does not like staying at watch-viewing angle for long periods of time. Ouch!
Maybe you're wearing it wrong.

seriously tho, my wife has watch imprints on her wrist.... doesn't look comfortable to me but she hasn't complained yet.

pottymouth
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 27, 2015, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by osiris View Post
Maybe you're wearing it wrong.
I can't imagine how. I have a flat, bony wrist so if anything it just sits wrong. I've not really worn a watch in 20 years, so the angle that activates the Apple Watch is an angle my muscles aren't used to. I imagine that will go away. I'm not complaining so much as just mentioning.

I'm at work still so I haven't gotten too far into using it. But other early impressions:
Apple's packaging is beautiful, as always. There's the hard cardboard throwaway part, but the watch itself resides in a white plastic storage case that reminds me of a iBook/MacBook. I've got the 38mm Sport in space gray; not sure if other models come with different cases.

The haptic feedback/vibrations are pretty slick. I've gotten a few text messages and alerts and it's a very positive feel on the wrist, unlike a buzz in my pocket which I'm never quite sure is real or phantom. The first time it happened, it was remarkable how natural the reaction is. I felt the blip at my wrist, and as glanced down and tilted my arm, I saw the screen light up and read my message. It feels silly describing such a perfectly ordinary situation, but I'm doing it because of how perfectly ordinary it was. It was the very first txt I received on my wrist, but it was absolutely natural. The next blip I felt was the Subaru Motorsports app telling me that Higgins just took 1st at the Oregon Trail Rally. Rawk!

And I don't remember seeing this feature mentioned, but there's a camera app to live preview and control your iPhone camera. Interesting.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 27, 2015, 04:34 PM

I can't imagine how. I have a flat, bony wrist so if anything it just sits wrong. I've not really worn a watch in 20 years, so the angle that activates the Apple Watch is an angle my muscles aren't used to. I imagine that will go away. I'm not complaining so much as just mentioning.
My wife always wears a watch, so her case might be that it's too tight, I check that out later.

I'm at work still so I haven't gotten too far into using it. But other early impressions:
Apple's packaging is beautiful, as always. There's the hard cardboard throwaway part, but the watch itself resides in a white plastic storage case that reminds me of a iBook/MacBook. I've got the 38mm Sport in space gray; not sure if other models come with different cases.

The haptic feedback/vibrations are pretty slick. I've gotten a few text messages and alerts and it's a very positive feel on the wrist, unlike a buzz in my pocket which I'm never quite sure is real or phantom. The first time it happened, it was remarkable how natural the reaction is. I felt the blip at my wrist, and as glanced down and tilted my arm, I saw the screen light up and read my message. It feels silly describing such a perfectly ordinary situation, but I'm doing it because of how perfectly ordinary it was. It was the very first txt I received on my wrist, but it was absolutely natural. The next blip I felt was the Subaru Motorsports app telling me that Higgins just took 1st at the Oregon Trail Rally. Rawk!

And I don't remember seeing this feature mentioned, but there's a camera app to live preview and control your iPhone camera. Interesting.
The packaging is 1st rate, in traditional Apple form. The camera remote feature is neat, I'll mention that to her.

I look forward to when I can Facetime right from the wrist.

enjoy!

pottymouth
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 27, 2015, 04:47 PM

I look forward to when I can Facetime right from the wrist.
We've finally got our Dick Tracy wrist phones and now you want video, too? Sheesh.

starman
Clinically Insane
Apr 27, 2015, 11:26 PM

Mine comes tomorrow. I checked one out at the Apple Store and really liked it, but the one they give you is a demo, and the demo unit on the table is more usable, but not 100%. Either way, I had no problems with using it in that limited capacity. More info tomorrow.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 28, 2015, 08:53 AM

okay, my wife reports that battery life is amazing - from 7AM till 6PM the watch ends up with 72% battery life.

This is with frequent notifications/showing off.

Also, no marks on her wrist from the watch.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 28, 2015, 09:27 AM

okay, my wife reports that battery life is amazing - from 7AM till 6PM the watch ends up with 72% battery life.
Considering the first few days it gets played with more than normal I am indeed impressed.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 28, 2015, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Considering the first few days it gets played with more than normal I am indeed impressed.
Me too, considering the initial forecast of doom and gloom.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 28, 2015, 10:34 AM

Mine arrived yesterday and my wife's should be here today. So far it's pretty neat but I'm not too thrilled over using the crown for most things.
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Apr 28, 2015, 02:24 PM

Me too, considering the initial forecast of doom and gloom.
I think under-promise and over-deliver was the only way to go with this one.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 28, 2015, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
I think under-promise and over-deliver was the only way to go with this one.
Yes. Coverage is going to be insane either way.

starman
Clinically Insane
Apr 28, 2015, 02:33 PM

More Apple watches were sold in 24 hours than all Android Wear devices combined.

Cult of Android - In just 24 hours, Apple Watch outsold Android Wear

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 28, 2015, 02:39 PM

Google doesn't have access to Apple's media hype machine.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 28, 2015, 03:16 PM

While it's probably completely true, all of the numbers this article is sighting are basically made up.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Apr 28, 2015, 04:01 PM

This is pretty awesome to read.

We've gone from a life expectancy of YEARS for a dumbwatch to Apple underselling battery life and people getting so worried/worked up about it that the actual battery life - which is about a day - feels "amazing".

This is the result of effective communication, and Apple are masters at it, knowing that all the detractors are only helping them.

starman
Clinically Insane
Apr 28, 2015, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by Cap'n Tightpants View Post
Google doesn't have access to Apple's media hype machine.
But...but...Android is better!

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 28, 2015, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
This is pretty awesome to read.

We've gone from a life expectancy of YEARS for a dumbwatch to Apple underselling battery life and people getting so worried/worked up about it that the actual battery life - which is about a day - feels "amazing".

This is the result of effective communication, and Apple are masters at it, knowing that all the detractors are only helping them.
Well said. I am quite pleased at the misunderestimation.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Apr 28, 2015, 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by starman View Post
More Apple watches were sold in 24 hours than all Android Wear devices combined.

Cult of Android - In just 24 hours, Apple Watch outsold Android Wear
And Apple made eleventy billion times more profit on those than all the Android watch manufacturers.

-t

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 29, 2015, 02:38 AM

Originally Posted by starman View Post
But...but...Android is better!
In a lot of ways, but that has ****-all to do with anything.

clefoong
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 29, 2015, 06:16 AM

I am surely gonna get it next month. i am currently using Iphone 6 bought last month. Hope it will work better for the apple lover.
Spoke at an international conference about selling inflatable dolls in Los Angeles, CA. Spent 2001-2008 buying and selling jump ropes in the aftermarket. A real dynamo when it comes to implementing robots in Minneapolis, MN. Spent college summers training Elvis Presley in Phoenix, AZ. Have a strong interest in managing salsa in the financial sector. A real dynamo when it comes to analyzing basketballs in the UK.

starman
Clinically Insane
Apr 29, 2015, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by Cap'n Tightpants View Post
In a lot of ways, but that has ****-all to do with anything.
Haha. no.

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 29, 2015, 01:52 PM

The positive talk in this thread sold my ex on one. I'd be sold myself if I wore a watch.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 29, 2015, 01:54 PM

I'll be impressed if in a few years apple gets me to want to wear a watch again.

starman
Clinically Insane
Apr 29, 2015, 02:24 PM

Now that I'm wearing a watch again after 20ish years, it's not bad. The problems are stupid things like going into a pocket and your watch catches the edge of it, or sleeves pushing against it. Things like that. It is nice not having to pull out my phone all the time, though.

Forum Links
Forum Rules