Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > stuttering trackpad

stuttering trackpad
RobOnTheCape
Senior User
Nov 5, 2005, 05:01 PM

I thought the update would help, but the problem continues. I've an 800 ibook with the latest update(OS) and for no apparent reason the cursor will start jumping around the screen as I try to use it. Sometimes if I get the cursor onto another program which is open, then the problem will stop. Others times not. Really frustrating, and sometimes making the machine not useable.

Any soluitions?

Thanks

osxrules
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 8, 2005, 07:59 AM

Buy a mouse is the only solution I can offer. My old ibook went that way after less than two years and in that time, I barely used the trackpad so it wasn't worn out. It was unusable as you said. It didn't matter how carefully you moved over the trackpad, it still jumped. To Apple's shame, I have seen much sturdier build quality on cheaper PC laptops including their keyboards. I've since got rid of my laptop and I would hesitate to buy another from Apple.

One thing that got to me was that I had an Apple pro mouse and the cable didn't even reach around my 12" ibook. So I got rid of my Apple mouse and bought a M$ mouse. Sooner or later this build quality issue is going to bite Apple right in the ass and maybe the ipod nano law suit is where it's going to start.

Anyway, irrespective of the build quality, I would still use a mouse because all trackpads have some level of inaccuracy. Just get an optical one with a long cable. I recommend the Microsoft 5-button Intelli-mouse. Sturdy, long cable, enough buttons, scroll-wheel and only £17 including delivery and it works with Mac out the box except for buttons 4 and 5 but you can use usb overdrive or just use them in games like I do.

RobOnTheCape  (op)
Senior User
Nov 8, 2005, 10:19 AM

That's one alternative. However, It seems that it has to be a software glitch, since if I get the mouse of of one document in one program and onto another in another program the problems usually disappears.

Not looking forward to it, but thinking about a clean install and seeing if theere is some sort of incompatibility with some software going on.

Photo678
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 8, 2005, 11:00 AM

Have you tried resetting your pram?

I had this problem, although not as bad as you, and did everything suggested (ie keeping fingers clean)....resetting the PRAM worked for me

dice
Forum Regular
Nov 9, 2005, 06:16 AM

Have you tried cleaning the trackpad? dirt and grease on it can make the mouse jump about. Also if your hands are sweaty or damp.

I say clean the trackpad+dry hands first then look at alternatives if it doesnt work.
sheesh, that took 8 hours for me to be asked to change my sig...

Forum Links
Forum Rules