Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > WHEN the iPhone goes 3G, what type of 3G will it be?

WHEN the iPhone goes 3G, what type of 3G will it be? (Page 3)
Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 16, 2008, 04:11 PM

If this turns out to be true, it would be awesome. I'm not holding my breath though.

Electronista | Tips: Canadian iPhone in June with $7 data

The Canadian iPhone is set to be launched in June and will potentially have the least expensive data plan of any carrier announced to date, Electronista has heard. Sources from inside Rogers claim that the device should be available the same month as an expected US release of an updated, 3G-capable model rather than as part of any possible staggered launch. Pricing is still unavailable, though currency values are likely to place the cost of the phone itself closer to the eventual US figure.

Data, however, is expected to cost less than for American customers, those same tips indicate. The sources claim that the iPhone will qualify for Rogers' $7 on-device browsing plan, which currently allows all phones offered by Rogers (excepting BlackBerry and Windows Mobile devices) to access the web as much as they like through the carrier's officially-sanctioned browser. Whether Rogers will allow YouTube, the App Store, and other official but non-web devices to fall into the unlimited plan is unknown, though unlike with other phones Rogers will not have the choice of installing or customizing the web browser or other applications.

I'd prefer it to be Fido though, as I have some Fido bux I could apply towards the phone upgrade. (Fido and Rogers are both under the Rogers umbrella, but they maintain different plans, phones, and billing.)

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 21, 2008, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
So, Rogers is now saying they're going to crack down on unauthorized use (like with the iPhone). Idle threat? I wonder, but it doesn't seem like they're referring just to tethering.
Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
They said that it would be in effect on May 12th and that I would get a notice by text message. No text messages came.
So (as you mentioned), Rogers customers with hacked iPhones are now getting hit with big data charges.

Whatcha gonna do? You can just shut off data support right? Are you just gonna stick with WiFi in the meantime?

I anxiously await the details of the 3G iPhone data plan on Rogers (or preferably Fido too). Hopefully that $7 data deal (for non-hacked Rogers-specific iPhones) is true, but I am not optimistic. Even if it does turn out to be true, I could see Rogers severely crippling it in some way. I suspect we'll find out in a few weeks.

Simon
Posting Junkie
May 22, 2008, 02:28 AM

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
May 23, 2008, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
So (as you mentioned), Rogers customers with hacked iPhones are now getting hit with big data charges.

Whatcha gonna do? You can just shut off data support right? Are you just gonna stick with WiFi in the meantime?
Na, I know 3 people that started to get charged this month and they called customer service which called it "a billing error" and just refunded all the money. I should get my bill today or monday to see if i also got charged.

If so I will just call them to refund it and if they don't know any better try it again for another month. If they say I can't use my phone with the plan i will just get the 10 meg plan for $10. I only use 30 megs a month on unlimited anyway so it won't be a big deal.

Plus Rogers might get the 3G iPhone in a month and by that time they will have an iPhone data plan anyway so I can just switch to it.

Simon
Posting Junkie
May 23, 2008, 12:27 PM

The iPhone will supposedly reach 42 Mbps over 3G in Australia.

OZ 3G iPhone To Be Fastest In The World - Channel News

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
May 23, 2008, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
The iPhone will supposedly reach 42 Mbps over 3G in Australia.

OZ 3G iPhone To Be Fastest In The World - Channel News
IPhone: Telstra Exec's 42Mbps iPhone Claims Are All But Impossible

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 1, 2008, 10:58 AM

GPS chipset from Broadcom?

The new iPhone has Global Positioning System (GPS) built into it, thanks to legal requirements put in place by the FCC. The company supplying the GPS to iPhone is going to be a big winner in this space; according to my sources, the contract has been nailed down by Broadcom, a relatively new entrant into the GPS market. The Irvine, Calif.-based chip company had acquired Global Locate in July 2007 for $143 million in cash and $80 million in incentives.

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
Plus Rogers might get the 3G iPhone in a month and by that time they will have an iPhone data plan anyway so I can just switch to it.
I wonder if they'll allow you to do that if you don't have an iPhone from them.

Forum Links
Forum Rules