Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > System Preferences Keeps Crashing on Desktop/Screen Saver Window

System Preferences Keeps Crashing on Desktop/Screen Saver Window
Shawn_230
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 29, 2006, 08:25 PM

I switched from my old screensaver to the iTunes artwork one and as soon as I selected it, it closed and gave me an error report window. Now whenever I select it it freezes for like 3 seconds then shuts down.

I tried repairing the disk... it found a problem, fixed it but I still have the same problem. Any solutions or any other way to switch to another screensaver to see if it fixes the problem?

mishakim
Forum Regular
Aug 30, 2006, 04:50 PM

remove the iTunes artwork screensaver from the Screensavers folder (not at my mac at the moment, can't be more specfic). Then you should be able to get in the pref pane and change to a different screen saver.

I had this problem all the time with the Technicron screensaver, which tries to divide by zero during a new moon, which crashes System Preferences if you try to use it then.

Since you're using an Apple-provided screensaver, I'd say either it got corrupted or some album artwork it's trying to display did. I'm afraid I don't have much advice on tracking that down.

Shawn_230  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 1, 2006, 06:42 AM

I tried finding the folder where the screensavers are stored but I didn't find anything. There's one folder which looks like the one I'm after (User\Library\Screen Saver) but it's completely empty.

Does anyone know where the OS's screensavers are kept?

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Sep 1, 2006, 06:57 AM

/Library/Screen Savers/

that's the location for screen savers installed globally for all users.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

wpwil
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 1, 2006, 09:33 AM

I had similar problem with iTunes Artwork screensaver. Its System Preferences pane closed every time, since I tried to set the option Rows to '2'.

Go to User/Library/Preferences/ByHost/ and remove file with 'com.apple.screensaver.iTunesArtwork.' in its name (on my computer it was named 'com.apple.screensaver.iTunesArtwork.0016cbcfd992. plist' but I guess the name can be somewhat different on other ones).

Kind regards,
Wojciech Paweł Wilczewski
( Last edited by wpwil; Sep 1, 2006 at 11:55 AM. )

Shawn_230  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 1, 2006, 04:41 PM

Yeah, that's what I had found myself but it's empty. Maybe it's for user-installed screensavers?

Originally Posted by Big Mac
/Library/Screen Savers/

that's the location for screen savers installed globally for all users.

Shawn_230  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 1, 2006, 04:42 PM

That's actually exactly what I tried last night and it worked, so thanks a lot. I just searched for iTunes in Spotlight and deleted that file and it worked.

Originally Posted by wpwil
I had similar problem with iTunes Artwork screensaver. Its System Preferences pane closed every time, since I tried to set the option Rows to '2'.

Go to User/Library/Preferences/ByHost/ and remove file with 'com.apple.screensaver.iTunesArtwork.' in its name (on my computer it was named 'com.apple.screensaver.iTunesArtwork.0016cbcfd992. plist' but I guess the name can be somewhat different on other ones).

Kind regards,
Wojciech Paweł Wilczewski

Forum Links
Forum Rules