Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > The Minor Pleasure Thread

The Minor Pleasure Thread (Page 4)
andi*pandi
Mar 29, 2023, 05:01 PM

hmm maybe I should update then

Thorzdad
Apr 10, 2023, 05:04 PM

Aaaaand, my 6s got yet another security update today. IOS 15.7.5.

andi*pandi
Apr 10, 2023, 05:45 PM

I did the last update and now my lockscreen time is an ugly font.

Thorzdad
Apr 10, 2023, 05:51 PM

Huh? Nothing changed on my lockscreen.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Apr 11, 2023, 07:17 AM

When were the new fonts introduced? It might be 16.

Thorzdad
May 19, 2023, 02:24 PM

On an up note, I have once again been invited to enjoy Sunday’s qualifications for the 500 from the comfort of a turn-2 suite. I’ve been in the suite a few times, and it’s a great spot to watch the action. Oh, and free buffet and an open bar. And garage and pit passes.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 19, 2023, 03:04 PM

I saw a Sox game from a box suite once, which included a full-time employee to put condiments on your hot dog.

We passed cups of beer from the open bar to the people in regular seats below us.

The whole experience basically ruined going to games for me.

Thorzdad
May 19, 2023, 04:07 PM

Yeah, ever since we started getting semi-regular invites to the suite, I really can’t imagine sitting anywhere else on the property.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
May 19, 2023, 08:37 PM

I’ve been to a bunch of box suites and I’d take regular seats any day
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

Thorzdad
May 20, 2023, 01:49 PM

Our son and daughter-in-law surprised us with a visit today, with a belated mother’s day gift and an early father’s day gift. They gifted me with a bottle of The Shin 15 year old japanese malt whiskey. Man, is it good! Dangerously good.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 18, 2023, 06:54 PM

My “uniform” top is a black, Duluth Trading, long-sleeve, long-tail T-shirt. Randomly decided now was the time to turn some of them over, and they’re having a 30% off sale. Ordered 16, saved $140.

Uniforms are also a minor pleasure. I can’t remember the last time I’ve expended effort deciding what I’m going to wear.

andi*pandi
Jun 18, 2023, 07:02 PM

we like their overalls. the shirt I ordered was too small alas, so I'll have to try again.

I can appreciate the time savings of a uniform, and certainly there are days I just throw things on with no coordination or care in the world... but there's times when clothes are fun.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 19, 2023, 03:21 PM

I’ve been a fan of Duluth Trading for years. Originally because they were the ones who started the “tool bag” instead of “tool box” revolution. The clothes were just a sideline then, but they slowly pivoted to almost all clothes. Made me sad, but Custom Leather Craft bought a bunch of their patterns, so most of the important ones are still available.

Thorzdad
Jul 9, 2023, 07:09 AM

Happy 42nd birthday Donkey Kong! Which, of course, makes today Mario’s 42nd birthday, too.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 9, 2023, 10:44 AM

Ironic it’s the SMB theme I can’t get out of my head now.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 7, 2023, 06:18 AM

Better Rename

Also available on the Mac App Store.

I do a ton of batch renaming, and this thing is a godsend. Sequential numbers with proper padding is its bread and butter, but the options for renaming criteria are so exhaustive I have yet to run into a renaming task it couldn’t accomplish.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 25, 2023, 09:11 PM

iOS autocompleted the word “fucking”.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Nov 26, 2023, 02:53 PM

Wow!

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 27, 2023, 09:20 PM

iOS has your back, subego.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

christ
Professional Poster
Nov 28, 2023, 03:28 PM

... but he was trying to write "furniture".
Chris. T.

"... in 6 months if WMD are found, I hope all clear-thinking people who opposed the war will say "You're right, we were wrong -- good job". Similarly, if after 6 months no WMD are found, people who supported the war should say the same thing -- and move to impeach Mr. Bush." - moki, 04/16/03

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 28, 2023, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by christ View Post
... but he was trying to write "furniture".
But what kind of furniture? Adjectives are important.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Nov 29, 2023, 09:44 AM

Ducking furniture. For ducking.

andi*pandi
Nov 29, 2023, 11:45 AM

subego sidelines at witch trials.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 29, 2023, 03:47 PM

Sofa King.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Dec 14, 2023, 10:15 AM

If you type “thank my driver” into the search bar at Amazon and click the result, your driver gets a $5 tip.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Dec 14, 2023, 11:03 AM

Hey Amazon, how about you just pay a living wage?

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Dec 14, 2023, 11:11 AM

Yeah… that specific point made me consider whether I should post it, and whether this was the proper thread.

reader50
Administrator
Dec 14, 2023, 12:58 PM

I miss Amazon Smile. The EFF got a lot of donations out of that, with a modest sum coming from my purchases.

Didn't know about the driver tip - thanks.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Dec 14, 2023, 01:03 PM

Same and same.

Edit; never changed the link in my bookmarks though, so at least I’m forcing Amazon to pay for some bored server to do a redirect.
( Last edited by subego; Dec 14, 2023 at 01:21 PM. )

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Dec 14, 2023, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Yeah… that specific point made me consider whether I should post it, and whether this was the proper thread.
I had seen a few people throw it on facebook and assumed it was one of those "Copy and paste this message to facebook and then they can't steal your identity anymore!" thing that old people always post. I saw you post it here and went ahead and did it.

andi*pandi
Dec 15, 2023, 10:10 AM

me too. Seemed to work! doesn't mention $5 just "Thank you for your appreciation! We'll share your thanks with your driver."

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 15, 2023, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Same and same.

Edit; never changed the link in my bookmarks though, so at least I’m forcing Amazon to pay for some bored server to do a redirect.
I’ve kept the same bookmark as well. And my browser “suggests” URLs based on the first few characters, so I type “sm” and bingo, I get the Amazon main page. So it’s even simpler to make ‘em keep paying for the extra redirect.

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 15, 2023, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
me too. Seemed to work! doesn't mention $5 just "Thank you for your appreciation! We'll share your thanks with your driver."
Amazon actually does mention it: “ We have received more than 2 million "thank yous", concluding the promotion offering $5 per "thank you" to eligible drivers. You can continue to thank your drivers and we will share your appreciation with them.” And “ 6) I heard about the drivers being given $5 per "thank you"? Is that promotion still live?
The promotion where eligible drivers received $5 for every thank you, was for drivers who received the first 2 million 'thank yous' starting December 12, 2023. We have already received over 2 million thank yous and the promotion is now over.”

I didn’t hear about it until today, so I kinda think that 2 million “thank yous” in a couple of days is pretty good.

In contrast, a couple of weekends ago I had a FedEx delivery that was dropped at the wrong house. We’re used to some things being delivered to “1234 Oak St” instead of “1234 Pine St”, as there is a street just a block away with the same house numbers. But this was dropped of at “9934 Quarry Rd”, an address on the street between my “Pine” and “Oak” with the same house numbers. Really guy? Not even the right number, just the last two digits? Wow.

reader50
Administrator
Dec 25, 2023, 02:52 PM

macOS Calendar. If you want to view a previous or future month, I've always clicked the back-forth buttons to change months.

Turns out you can just scroll the month-view of the Calendar. Roll the scroll wheel, and the months roll by. Only noticed this about a week ago.

Thorzdad
Dec 29, 2023, 08:36 PM

Fatherhood.gov keeps a public database of
Dad Jokes.
I am completely fine, happy even, with my tax dollars going to this.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jan 18, 2024, 01:22 PM

Finally retired the 10yo iPad Mini I use as car infotainment.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jan 19, 2024, 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
scroll wheel
Apple trackpads are honestly a minor pleasure. Past the pleasant feeling surface and eerily convincing haptics, two-finger scrolling kicks the everloving shit out of scroll wheels.

Thorzdad
Jan 19, 2024, 05:12 AM

I seriously love my Magic Trackpad for everyday work. I’ve never been able to quite get the hang of using it in Illustrator or Photoshop, though.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Jan 19, 2024, 08:44 AM

The trackpad on my work computer and even my MBA's trackpad in Boot Camp really make me appreciate OS X. Actually something about an iDevice's scrolling and inertia just feels right, I've never used an Android device that got it right.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jan 19, 2024, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by Thorzdad View Post
I seriously love my Magic Trackpad for everyday work. I’ve never been able to quite get the hang of using it in Illustrator or Photoshop, though.
Yeah. Its big flaw is detail work.

Thorzdad
Jan 19, 2024, 07:05 PM

To be fair, detail work is the achilles heel of darned near every trackpad. At least every trackpad I’ve ever used, anyway.

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 20, 2024, 07:41 PM

How is it that Wacom trackpads can manage fine detail but Apple can’t? Serious question. Is it the stylus, the sensors, their software? Or is it about longevity? Asking because I’ve always wondered about using a trackpad or digitizing tablet for playing with graphics (I use GIMP, which supports just about everything).

My minor pleasure today was hot chocolate. This morning my wife and I helped take down our neighborhood’s Christmas lights in 30-34F temperatures. This afternoon, while at a local outdoor mall (for the Apple Store) it was 42F, but there was a pretty hefty overcast and a north wind that promised tomorrow’s forecast rain was really on the way. So this afternoon I actually felt colder walking around the mall than taking down lights this morning.

There’s a Barnes and Noble book store at this mall, and their “B&N Cafe” made a mean cup of hot chocolate. Just right…. Ahhhhh.

Thorzdad
Jan 21, 2024, 10:37 AM

I’ve never used a stylus with a trackpad, which is usually too small for stylus use. My Magic Trackpad is certainly too small, anyway. I think you’re talking about a tablet and stylus.

Thorzdad
Jan 23, 2024, 11:59 AM

In my neck of the woods, the go-to lab for getting blood-draws and any other labwork ordered by your doc done is Quest Diagnostics. I really have to give them a thumbs-up with how streamlined (a.k.a. automated) the whole process of ordering the labs, scheduling an appointment, and checking-in is. It's super-smooth, with very little friction throughout the process.

Bonus points: Their techs are genuinely good at what they do. I'm super needle-phobic (as in, I have been known to pass-out,), and every blood draw I've had done there (like just this morning) has been utterly anguish-free. Admittedly, some of that has to do how good/tiny the needles have become, but the whole process has always bee done before I know it's started.

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 23, 2024, 08:49 PM

Yes, I was confusing trackpads and tablets.

Blood draws (and related tasks) are often done best by the people who do almost nothing but that. But you keep people that are good at that stuff by paying and treating them well.

Around here, I only see Quest picking up labs. A lot of people are sent to Concentra facilities for pre-employment labs, plus Concentra has other kinds of facilities like PT clinics. A friend who worked as a PT for Concentra said they were really good at treating professionals appropriately.

When I was in the hospital last July, a 20-ish enlisted technician showed an RN lieutenant how to start an IV on me. Well she tried. The lieutenant tried, but either nicked the vein or went right through… The tech then smoothly started one on a challenging spot: the thumb side of the wrist. There’s a decent sized vein there, but it’s challenging because the wrist bends right there. That IV was not the most comfortable one I’ve had, but it worked from the start.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Jan 24, 2024, 10:15 AM

Pulled out my old Raspberry Pi and loaded up OctoPrint. Grabbed a cheap webcam from Target and now I have wi-fi 3D printing with full video monitoring and auto timelapse capabilities.

I'm trying to get OctoDash working on the 5" screen I have but I'm running into setup problems, which is more of a minor irritant.

Thorzdad
Jan 24, 2024, 11:20 AM

My A1C was 0.8.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jan 24, 2024, 12:38 PM

Better than mine!

Thorzdad
Jan 24, 2024, 09:29 PM

Yeah, oops. The 0.8 was my PSA. My A1C was 5.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jan 25, 2024, 02:50 AM

Still better than mine! I thought you might have meant 8

Forum Links
Forum Rules