Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Do 'DualDisc' albums work on Mac, iPod & iTunes?

Do 'DualDisc' albums work on Mac, iPod & iTunes?
ajprice
Professional Poster
Apr 10, 2006, 10:12 AM

Saw some albums in shops at the weekend labelled as DualDisc, with audio CD on one side and DVD on the other side. Do these discs work with iTunes, Macs & iPods? I thought about buying the album but wasn't sure whether I could put them on my iPod.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

starman
Clinically Insane
Apr 10, 2006, 10:18 AM

The ones I bought did. YMMV.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Josh Reid
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 10, 2006, 10:57 AM

From everything I've seen, copy-protected albums and DualDisc (which so far I don't *think* have been protected) are much more likely to work properly in a Mac equipped with a SuperDrive. A friend with an eMac was unable to even play a disc that I had no problem with in my 2003 Powerbook and intel iMac. But as starman said, ymmv.

Salty
Professional Poster
Apr 10, 2006, 05:52 PM

I bought a Switchfoot Dual Disc. It could play the DVD side in my PowerBook, but not the audio side. To rip it I had to use my old iMac.

StewartsGingerBeer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 10, 2006, 08:50 PM

the remain in light (remastered) dual disc i have kinda works but only after persistant inserting and ejecting of the disc until it shows up on itunes. and even then the last several tracks don't play or rip correctly (ticks and static type noises). that's the case on both my g3 and p4.

edit: the dvd side works fine though.
350mhz g3 & 3.2ghz p4

Mithras
Professional Poster
Apr 10, 2006, 11:25 PM

I also had luck only with the DVD side of a DualDisc (a Springsteen album). However it was easy enough to rip the audio from the DVD side.

Aquataris
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 13, 2006, 11:30 PM

Never again will I buy a DualDisk without serious hesitation. I got NIN's With Teeth and the first track always crackled with elevating levels of soft static... and since it's NIN, I figured it was part of the song as it kinda sounded fitting for the track as Trent often likes to infuse his songs with the feeling that the media is just not enough to hold the raw power of his songs. Long story short... I find out from another persons disk that mine is retarded and 3 returns later I decide I'll have to settle for the standard release... oh well.
If I had a signature, it would be better than yours.

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Apr 14, 2006, 02:19 AM

sometimes, but if you have a slot loading drive the disc might not fit in the drive(didn't fit on a rev a mac mini)

ajprice  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 14, 2006, 07:52 AM

Hmm, don't think I'll bother then... thanks people.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

dlefebvre
Mac Elite
Apr 14, 2006, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by StewartsGingerBeer
the remain in light (remastered) dual disc i have kinda works but only after persistant inserting and ejecting of the disc until it shows up on itunes. and even then the last several tracks don't play or rip correctly (ticks and static type noises). that's the case on both my g3 and p4.

edit: the dvd side works fine though.
Did you get "The Brick" box set or just the Remain in Light DualDisc?
How doe's it sound? Are you happy with it?

Forum Links
Forum Rules