Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > All Forums Are NOT Created Equal.

All Forums Are NOT Created Equal.
l008com
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 30, 2010, 02:33 PM

I'm a member of a LOT of forums. A shit load in fact. Google my username to get a rough idea. But I don't spend my days lurking the forums. I usually just use them when I have a question or need help. I'm a member of many other Mac specific forums, and some other tech ones like hardforums, a php forum, and more but I'm drawing a blank. I'm also a member of several car forums. RX8club because I've owned two of those, Acuraworld because I had an Acura for 9 months until I got rid of it because it was a piece of shit. Camaro 5 because thats what I drive now. An S10 forum for my old pickup. And a boating forum for my boat.

Man oh man, the difference between a tech forum and a vehicle based forum is night and day. The most noticeable thing, people in vehicle forums LOVE ugly web sites. Ugly images. Ugly themes. Ugly, flashing graphics of any kind. All of the vehicle forums that have custom themes, have ugly as shit custom themes. Users on vehicle forums have absurdly huge sigs. One line of text for a reply to a post, but 3 inches of giant signature image. On one forum, I even posted a new topic about how the sigs are too big, referencing the rules on this very forum as a good basis. Everyone freaked out about not being able to have giant pictures of their cars in their sig. This forum also has good sized avatars too. But its not just ugly. The quality of post is so low on vehicle forums. No one ever takes the time to explain anything. Everybody is way too "use the search" happy, yet the searches all suck, and when you do search, you get all threads that keep saying the same thing. People asking for help, and being told to search. Getting the info you need is like pulling teeth at vehicle forums. So frustrating, such a hassle. Needed to vent.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Apr 30, 2010, 02:44 PM

That'll serve you right for whoring around with other forums!
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 30, 2010, 02:46 PM

Well you think I'd trust you clowns to tell me how to remove the headlights in my new Camaro? Or how to replace the starter solenoid in my 90hp Mercury. But I've actually hidden all sigs on the camaro forum. They're so HUGE and so obnoxious.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 30, 2010, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by l008com View Post
Well you think I'd trust you clowns to tell me how to remove the headlights in my new Camaro? Or how to replace the starter solenoid in my 90hp Mercury.
Well, you can count on us to argue about it.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 30, 2010, 02:49 PM

The worst out of all of them is the S10 forum. In every way, it is the most horrible.

downinflames68
Baninated
Apr 30, 2010, 02:51 PM

You are at a ****ing chevy forum. HELLOOOOOOO. What type of people do you think frequent those? It was shown about a year ago that 50% of GM owners don't even USE the internet. AT ALL.

Sell your piece of shit and get something worth owning, like a high end japanese or german car. Then you'll find actually intelligent people.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 30, 2010, 03:01 PM

I couldn't have seen that coming.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Apr 30, 2010, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by downinflames68 View Post
Sell your piece of shit and get something worth owning, like a high end japanese or german car. Then you'll find actually intelligent people.
There's that phrase again.
So, we're talking Rufs, Gemballas, Alpinas and Brabus then?

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 30, 2010, 03:08 PM

In the end, I narrowed it down to a third RX-8, or a Camaro. There aren't many options for a sporty, rear wheel drive, sub-$30K car. The Camaro won because it's fuel economy blows away the RX8. And it's got a lot of torque, which is always a nice bonus.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 30, 2010, 03:17 PM

Well you think I'd trust you clowns to tell me how to remove the headlights in my new Camaro? Or how to replace the starter solenoid in my 90hp Mercury.
Dude, just use the search function.

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 30, 2010, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by Oisín View Post
Dude, just use the search function.

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 30, 2010, 04:52 PM

I honestly think that someone here could tell you about your Camaro's headlights and the starter solenoid on your Merc. Not me, but others.

Oh, and please, next time someone complains about our "censoring, unthinking, Nazi-ish, freedom hating" sig rules, please feel free to post a link to one of those vehicle forums you just mentioned...kthxbye!

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 30, 2010, 05:04 PM

10% posts, 90% sigs.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 30, 2010, 05:58 PM

I run TheLincolnForum.Net and I have all kinds of rules that I "borrowed" from this very site.

Small sig pics, small sigs, small inline pics, etc. I'm not talented to design a fancy template so I'm still using the basic phpBB3 style, but it works.

The losers who complain about the rules leave while the rest of us continue our discussion.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Apr 30, 2010, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post
I run TheLincolnForum.Net and I have all kinds of rules that I "borrowed" from this very site.
Hehe! Being the person who authored the original version of the rules sticky here on MacNN*, I’m tickled pink that you adopted many of them for your forums!

*Of course, that was just a formal codification of the rules we’d developed cooperatively over the years.

DrTacoMD
Forum Regular
Apr 30, 2010, 06:17 PM

Yeah, once you get used to the 'NN, visiting the rest of the forums out there is a bit of a culture shock. Car forums are the worst, but video game forums are a close second.

Originally Posted by l008com
In the end, I narrowed it down to a third RX-8, or a Camaro. There aren't many options for a sporty, rear wheel drive, sub-$30K car. The Camaro won because it's fuel economy blows away the RX8. And it's got a lot of torque, which is always a nice bonus.
I whole-heartedly approve of your decision (and not just because it pisses Rob off).
Trust me. I'm a Taco.

downinflames68
Baninated
Apr 30, 2010, 08:43 PM

It doesn't piss me off at all. I'm just saying if you buy a ****ing hickmobile, don't act surprised when... TADA, MOST OF THE OWNERS ARE FREAKING MORONS.

That's like people who move near an airport and then bitch about the airplane noise.

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Apr 30, 2010, 09:13 PM

You are at a ****ing chevy forum. HELLOOOOOOO. What type of people do you think frequent those? It was shown about a year ago that 50% of GM owners don't even USE the internet. AT ALL.

1. If you had read 1008com's post you would know that he owned an acura and 2 rx8's.
2. I'm not sure there is such a thing as a high-end Japanese car, unless we have different definitions of high end. I certainly don't consider a Lexus high-end.
3. Mini trucks and rear drive coupes are cool, front drive shitboxes with ground effects and a wing are not cool.

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 30, 2010, 09:22 PM

Not to say I'm siding with Rob on this, but I have noticed far more Camaro people with, shall we say "limited educational potential" than bright Camaro people. I've seen a Lotus, a Corvette, and a Ferrari all parked nicely and properly on campus-with two Camaros parked as badly as possible not too far away...

Now if you were to get a pre-1970 Camaro, that would be a different thing. Those WERE CARS! Powerful, compact, cool looking and sounding.

Much better (IMO) than...

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Apr 30, 2010, 09:44 PM

There aren't many options for a sporty, rear wheel drive, sub-$30K car. The Camaro won because it's fuel economy blows away the RX8. And it's got a lot of torque, which is always a nice bonus.
There aren't? Let's see: 370Z, 2011 Mustang V6 (which is a fantastic car BTW), Camaro, RX-8, Genesis Coupe, 128i, barely used M3s, 335i, etc. Anything's fuel economy blows away a RX-8. And my lawnmower makes more torque.

I don't mind the new Camaro, but that bleak interior made me want to go emo.
( Last edited by imitchellg5; Apr 30, 2010 at 09:50 PM. )

phantomdragonz
Mac Elite
May 1, 2010, 12:58 AM

I am also a forum junky... I am a member of 5-6 different forums... probably more.

I have found a few great ones though, this being the best for (mostly) intelligent conversation, my local 4X4 forum for great advice for anything mechanical (mostly jeep related though) and a couple others that are nice but not great...

I actually pay $20 a year at my local 4x4 forum because it's been such a great help to me, the members are super helpful and the moderation is top notch... great forums are few and far between...

-Zach

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
May 1, 2010, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
2011 Mustang V6 (which is a fantastic car BTW),
That's what I was going to say. 305hp, 31mpg, $22,000. And an interior that rivals Audi. Even the GT can be grabbed for right around $30,000, and it sounds like Ford's 412hp may be a severe underrating.

Camaro, RX-8, Genesis Coupe, 128i, barely used M3s, 335i, etc. Anything's fuel economy blows away a RX-8. And my lawnmower makes more torque.
Bolded for wtf.

downinflames68
Baninated
May 1, 2010, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by macaddict0001 View Post
1. If you had read 1008com's post you would know that he owned an acura and 2 rx8's.
2. I'm not sure there is such a thing as a high-end Japanese car, unless we have different definitions of high end. I certainly don't consider a Lexus high-end.
3. Mini trucks and rear drive coupes are cool, front drive shitboxes with ground effects and a wing are not cool.
1. He was bitching that people on a ****ing camaro forum were ****ing stupid. That is OBVIOUS, to anybody who is into cars. Most camaro owners are complete idiots. If you don't know this, then you obviously are not into the automotive 'scene'.
2. All manufacturers have econoboxes, medium grade people movers for the masses, and their high end "cool" cars. Subaru has the SVX, the STi, the Forester XT, the Legacy Spec B.... Honda has the RSX, Integra, Prelude, Civic Si.... Toyota had the Supra, the Celica All-Trac.... Isuzu had the Impulse RS, etc. These are all pretty fun rides, and considered "high end" to something like a camry/accord/vanilla mobile.
3. Mini trucks are actually totally ghey. FWD econoboxes with bodykits and a wing are also gheyy. Why do you think I am talking about those? Are you new to this forum? Do you have any idea of the cars I am talking about? You seem completely clueless.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
May 1, 2010, 03:06 PM

2. All manufacturers have econoboxes, medium grade people movers for the masses, and their high end "cool" cars.
No. Ferrari don't make shitboxes (well, if you don't include that hideous new eight-pot thingy, that is). Peugeot don't make anything "high end" or "cool".

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
May 1, 2010, 05:23 PM

I like that, Toyota HAD the Supra and Celica. I can live with clueless, Bipolar would be much harder.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
May 1, 2010, 06:47 PM

Honda has the RSX, Integra, Prelude, Civic Si....
You left out the best of all... the NSX. Of course the only sporting vehicle Honda have nowadays is the Civic Si. And Toyota makes nothing exciting at all. The last truly fun car they made was the last gen Matrix XRS. Such a wonderful screamer of a motor and great gearbox. I want one badly.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
May 1, 2010, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
That's what I was going to say. 305hp, 31mpg, $22,000. And an interior that rivals Audi. Even the GT can be grabbed for right around $30,000, and it sounds like Ford's 412hp may be a severe underrating.
Totally. The Mustang is the new RWD performance bargain. Some have even compared it to the current M3, considering it's about $20k less, 2 horsepower less (if you go by Ford's rating), and has a heck of a lot more standard features than the M3. No paying $499 for "Smartphone integration."

ghporter
Administrator
May 1, 2010, 06:50 PM

You left out the best of all... the NSX. Of course the only sporting vehicle Honda have nowadays is the Civic Si. And Toyota makes nothing exciting at all. The last truly fun car they made was the last gen Matrix XRS. Such a wonderful screamer of a motor and great gearbox. I want one badly.
I'm quite disappointed they dropped the S2000 from Honda's lineup. That is a sweet little car. If you don't buy the "café racer" version, it's also quite comfortable (after you get in-I'm 6'2" tall) and of course it's fun to drive.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
May 1, 2010, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
I'm quite disappointed they dropped the S2000 from Honda's lineup. That is a sweet little car. If you don't buy the "café racer" version, it's also quite comfortable (after you get in-I'm 6'2" tall) and of course it's fun to drive.
Oh yes. I always forget about the S2000. Great car... Last summer I actually got to drive the CR model at a SCAA event. It handles like a go-kart; no understeer and oversteer only if you want it to. I felt that it was incredibly well engineered and had a very strong chassis.

ghporter
Administrator
May 1, 2010, 07:01 PM

The only thing wrong (IMO) with the CR is that it's not really a "every day" car-no A/C, for example. You don't drive in Texas without A/C...even up in the Panhandle you need it during the summer (maybe as much as down here). The A/C in my wife's S2000 is good, too. 'Course that tiny cockpit shouldn't take long for any system to cool down, but I think it has the same compressor and radiator as my Civic EX sedan...

finboy
May 1, 2010, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
That'll serve you right for whoring around with other forums!
Did you catch anything contagious?

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
May 1, 2010, 08:48 PM

The only thing wrong (IMO) with the CR is that it's not really a "every day" car-no A/C, for example. You don't drive in Texas without A/C...even up in the Panhandle you need it during the summer (maybe as much as down here). The A/C in my wife's S2000 is good, too. 'Course that tiny cockpit shouldn't take long for any system to cool down, but I think it has the same compressor and radiator as my Civic EX sedan...
Sure, it's a track car. I'm sure that the standard S2000 behaves mostly similar. Probably not enough difference for a n00b like me to notice.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
May 1, 2010, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by finboy View Post
Did you catch anything contagious?
This makes no sense.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
May 1, 2010, 09:15 PM

STD for being a whore?

Doofy
Clinically Insane
May 1, 2010, 09:19 PM

STD for being a whore?
But why's he asking me? I'm not the one whoring about on other forums - I know that the sum total of all human knowledge can be found right here on the 'NN.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
May 1, 2010, 09:26 PM

Oh. I don't know then.

downinflames68
Baninated
May 1, 2010, 09:46 PM

That's an Acura, not a Honda. In this part of the world, anyway.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
May 1, 2010, 10:03 PM

Heck no. That's why I ask on the MacGyver forum.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 1, 2010, 10:35 PM

...like a go-kart; no understeer and oversteer only if you want it to.
Clearly, you've never driven MY go kart.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
May 1, 2010, 11:05 PM

True.

ghporter
Administrator
May 2, 2010, 09:22 AM

Back on the original topic, can anyone provide names/URLs of really, really horrible forums? Bonus if they use vBulletin. This goes back to my request to l008 in my first post in this thread-I'd like to have some "really bad examples" for the next time someone complains that their huge, animated sig was "censored."

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
May 2, 2010, 01:10 PM

That's an Acura, not a Honda. In this part of the world, anyway.
Um, the RSX and Integra isn't a Honda in this part of the world either...

besson3c
Clinically Insane
May 2, 2010, 01:58 PM

This place is very special. It is the only place that censors me, which I think is awesome.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
May 2, 2010, 02:16 PM

That's because you're like spammer who is trying to sell his crap (literally) to everyone.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
May 2, 2010, 02:38 PM

Not to everyone, to scientists who are interested in studying my stool samples for scientific research and discovery. I guess I figured that there were more scientists here than I thought.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
May 2, 2010, 02:55 PM

*shudder* I can't stand the new Camaro. Unbelievably dumb looking. When it comes to the post 1970s Camaro, it's like Chevy sat down with a bunch of people and wondered what the ugliest car they could make; hence, every Camaro since then.

Here's one of the competing concept designs they didn't choose, which I thought at least looked pretty cool:

"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
May 2, 2010, 03:09 PM

Oh come on, the new one at least looks better than the '93 model.

ghporter
Administrator
May 2, 2010, 08:42 PM

Oh come on, the new one at least looks better than the '93 model.
Please, the '93 wasn't a car-it was a parody.

No extra points for doing a poor job of parodying yourself, GM...

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 2, 2010, 09:10 PM

Back on the original topic, can anyone provide names/URLs of really, really horrible forums? Bonus if they use vBulletin. This goes back to my request to l008 in my first post in this thread-I'd like to have some "really bad examples" for the next time someone complains that their huge, animated sig was "censored."
This one is rough: http://www.s10forum.com/forum/

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 2, 2010, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
*shudder* I can't stand the new Camaro. Unbelievably dumb looking. When it comes to the post 1970s Camaro, it's like Chevy sat down with a bunch of people and wondered what the ugliest car they could make; hence, every Camaro since then.

Here's one of the competing concept designs they didn't choose, which I thought at least looked pretty cool:

You're the only one that thinks so. I get stopped almost every day by people walking on the street, in parking lots, and stopped at red lights, telling me how awesome the car is. Personally I think my RX-8 was better looking, but this is still a good looking car.

Forum Links
Forum Rules