Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > airport not bridging to ADSL-connected LAN

airport not bridging to ADSL-connected LAN
chasg
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 11, 2002, 06:48 PM

Hi All,

My Basestation (graphite) is acting strangely: it's not bridging my Powerbook (running OSX 10.2) to my LAN or ADSL connection.

I've got an ethernet LAN that's online via an ADSL router/modem. My basestation is connected via ethernet to the LAN.

The basetation is sucessfully getting it's TCP/IP settings from the router via DHCP.

The "Network" settings of the basestation are set up to "Distribute IP addresses". Airport client computers are sharing a single IP address (using DHCP and NAT), and I've enabled Airport to ethernet bridging.

The Powerbook is set up to get TCP/IP settings via DHCP (settings are aiport defaults: IP address is 10.0.1.2, mask is 255.255.255.0 and basestation's router address is 10.0.1.1)

I can ping the bastation's address (10.0.1.1) _and_ it's router assigned ip address (192.168.0.32), but I can' t reach beyond.

Can anybody help me out? (got enough info?)

Chas

ps. by the way, I _want_ for the basetation to be just a bridge to the LAN (with the Powerbook getting TCP/IP settings from the ADSL router, but that doesn't work at all: for some reason, if I don't have the basestation running DHCP for airport connected computers, the basestation won't get it's own TCP/IP settings from the ADSL router. Very strange behaviour!)

chasg  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 18, 2002, 12:09 PM

Hmm, looks like my situation must be uniquely unique :-)

Can I ask for help this way:

How would I add a graphite airport basestation to an already existing DHCP administered, wired, LAN?

I need for the airport-equipped PowerBook (Pismo) to be able to take its IP address from the router (which is doing the DHCP administration) so that the Powerbook can use the ADSL connection that the router is routing for (the computers on the wired LAN can use the ADSL connection already).

Cheers, and thanks in advance for any help :-)

Chas

howardm4
Senior User
Sep 18, 2002, 01:47 PM

I'm doing exactly what you want.

Turn off 'Distribute IP addresses' on the
base station. Turn off any dhcp/nat
on the basestation. Turn on ethernet/airport bridging. You just want
the base station to be a dumb bridge (from
a TCP/IP point of view).

if the base station itself cannot get a
dhcp address from the router, then
give it a static address on the same
subnet as the router and set the routers
dhcp range so that cannot assign that one
address.

for example, statically give the airport
192.168.124.2 and tell the router to use
192.168.124.3 onwards toward 255 (w/
subnet of 255.255.255.0)

gsciorio
Sep 19, 2002, 05:17 AM

Ok. I'm having the same problem but in reverse! I got a linksys 5port switcher and have a graphite Airport feeding a signal to my Powerbook g4. I also have a direct line from the hub to my dual 867. Both machines are running OS 10.2. When I have both the airport and 867 plugged in only the Powerbook works but if I unplug the basestion the 867 works.

What's the deal here??

thanks
Giulio

PHoynak
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 19, 2002, 08:48 AM

I don't know if this will help but I could't get my iBook to see my iMac's printer under 10.2. My iBook is wireless and the iMac is connected to the router, the basestation is connected to the router (all share cable modem). I tired everything but it would not work. Once I upgraded to 10.2.1 it worked! I don't know what Apple did but I am glad they did it.

gsciorio
Sep 20, 2002, 01:03 AM

I got it worked out (kinda). I made the Airport Base Station transmit the router address to both Macs and I now can get on the web. What sucks is that now I am having trouble making the two network.

Geeshe!
Giulio

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 22, 2002, 11:43 AM

Originally posted by howardm4:
Turn off 'Distribute IP addresses' on the
base station. Turn off any dhcp/nat
on the basestation. Turn on ethernet/airport bridging. You just want
the base station to be a dumb bridge (from
a TCP/IP point of view).
howardm4 is exactly right. You simply want the base station to act as a bridge only. The airport connected computers will get their IP addresses from your ADSL modem.

Chris

RBattin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 22, 2002, 11:50 PM

I have the same setup and it works. Make sure your base station and DHCP router/modem are connected to a hub via standard cable to the standard ports and not the uplink (or crossover) port. My graphite base station is a dumb bridge and IP's are assigned by the router/modem.

P.S. As an extra measure I also added the DNS servers of my ISP to the base stations Internet setting. DHCP should take care of that but I read somewhere it may be more reliable to manually enter it also.
( Last edited by RBattin; Sep 22, 2002 at 11:57 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules