Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > urgent help needed. Has my superdrive died?

urgent help needed. Has my superdrive died?
Freeflyer
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 6, 2003, 01:41 AM

Hi,

I was just ripping some of my cd's, when itunes locked up. I restarted the machine and now the superdrive won't load any discs.

It just won't take anything in. No motor noise, nothing. There is some spring tension as you push the disk all the way in, but it just bounces out a little way.

I leave on Friday for a 3 month trip abroad, and I've only just got the gigabook back from apple because a screen hinge broke last week. I'm not being real impressed with the reliability so far.

Any tricks I can try to get the drive working again??

Cheers,

J.
By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out - Richard Dawkins

RBattin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 6, 2003, 02:02 AM

It can't hurt to try resetting the power manager:

1. If the computer is on, turn it off.
2. Reset the power manager by simultaneously pressing and then releasing Shift-Control-Option-power on the keyboard. Do not press the fn (Function) key while using this combination of keystrokes.
3. Wait 5 seconds.
4. Press the power button to restart the computer.

Freeflyer  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 6, 2003, 02:31 AM

Just after i posted that I was looking through apple's support site and found a recommendation to do just that. I couldn't see anything in the write up that would explain why it might work, but I did it anyway.

When I restarted there was a loud clunk from the drive and now it's working again.

I'm guessing something in the drive didn't set to the correct place when the last disk ejected.

I was just coming back to let everyone know that it was fixed and there was your note telling me to try the pram reset.

Thanks for such a quick response, it's another trick to add to the magic bag. No idea why it worked. Had me in a bit of a panic for a few minutes.

Cheers,

J.
By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out - Richard Dawkins

Freeflyer  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 6, 2003, 02:32 AM

I've just reread your note and it's not exactly what I did. I popped up the keyboard and pressed the little pram reset button then restarted.

Is that the same as doing the keyboard shortcut?

J.

RBattin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 6, 2003, 03:14 AM

Yep, the little button also does the power manager reset. Slightly different than PRAM but glad to hear it helped!

Forum Links
Forum Rules