Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Modem for G3 All-In-One

Modem for G3 All-In-One
rlorenc
Dedicated MacNNer
May 25, 2002, 08:10 AM

Is there any way I can get a replacement internal modem for a Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One? Does the internal G4 modem work in that machine or must I find one somewhere else?

Thanks.

davidflas
Mac Elite
May 25, 2002, 11:15 PM

I have two suggestions for you.

To find out what modems will work for you try <a href="http://www.everymac.com" target="_blank">everymac.com</a>
To buy the necessary part go to <a href="http://www.shrevesystems.com" target="_blank">Shreve Systems</a>
These are just suggestions, but I hope they are helpful.
You might try the support section of Apple.com too.

<small>[ 05-25-2002, 11:17 PM: Message edited by: davidflas ]</small>
2.7Ghz 15" Mid 2012 MBP 16GB RAM 7.2k 750GB HD anti-glare display|64GB iPad4 ATT LTE|

RBattin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 26, 2002, 02:09 PM

The modem you are looking for (661-1510) is available from any Apple Authorized Service Provider. It costs around $90 just for the part. Those modems were also used in Power Macintosh 6500 / 250, 6500 / 275, 6500 / 300, G3 Desktop, and G3 MiniTower but not G4.

j mars
May 29, 2002, 10:23 AM

Why do you want another internal modem? Any Beige G3 (Gossamer) board should work but they are rare and therefore expensive (ie $90-100 on eBay). An external modem should be far cheaper and less expensive. OSX will recognize a modem connected to the modem serial port (its about the only serial port attachment that will be recognized). The only drawback is the Fax software, it can only be used with an Apple internal modem but I am not certain if this includes the Beige G3 modem as we Beige owners seem to often get the short end of the stick. You can remove your defunct ( I assume) old internal modem from the personality card and this should restore access to your original modem serial port. Whichever route you go you should be sure that you have surge protection on your phone line as it will carry lightning surges and wipe out any modem long before the phone companies' surge protector kicks in. It hurts to lose a modem this way but the pain is relative to the price of a new modem. An external modem would be far cheaper.

Forum Links
Forum Rules