Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Hinge Problems?

Hinge Problems?
ThaShef
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 10, 2004, 03:24 PM

Is your hinge too tight, when ever i open the powerbook and put the display back...it makes noise..and then whenever i move the display it make the noise.

I was thinking about taking it to local apple repair place to have it checked out, are you guys having the same problem, or is it unique.

iREZ
Professional Poster
Feb 10, 2004, 06:01 PM

Is it really difficult to open and close? Or is it just a sound. Either or I think tellin us what kind of PB it is will help us help you out a little better. I've never had my PB squeak while I've had it. If you're near an Apple store I would just take it in because I've never heard a PB make noises from the hinges before
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

ThaShef  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 11, 2004, 06:09 PM

It the 15" ALU 1.25Ghz.

The noise comes from the hinge..and It is a little bit hard to close it. I think the ALU might have expand due to some heat, considering the vent are located right next to the hinge.

Is there any grease used to make sure that it opens and closes smoothly.

ryju
Professional Poster
Feb 11, 2004, 06:23 PM

My "hinge" is just "right" not too tight and not too "loose."

echosphere
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 11, 2004, 09:14 PM

I've love the hinge on my Al 15", as stated above, just right. Better than the Ti ones.

Maybe you should get it checked out, could be a problem, has it been dropped or do you travel with it alot?
I'm from the government and I'm here to help

ThaShef  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 11, 2004, 11:38 PM

Well....I am a student, so basically it goes with me to school everyday, but it recently start about 2 weeks ago. I was thinking if it has to do anything with constant temperature change. When I am using it at school its kinda gets warm, but then when I leave school it goes from 70 degrees to like 20 degree right way (Rochester winter sucks!!).

So I am wondering if this has anything to do with it.

Also is the Hinge on the new powerbook seperate from the Display or is it togehter. I called the local apple repair place and he wasn't sure if they are seperate or not. I have a perfect display and I dont want to get the display replaced, due to problems with hinge.

dantley
Forum Regular
Feb 11, 2004, 11:42 PM

It is seperate. You can see the screws that help hold the hinge in place in the lower left and right side of the display.

ThaShef  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 12, 2004, 10:16 AM

So I am guessing, I can have apple just replace the hinge, without them touching the display.

Right?

Forum Links
Forum Rules