Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Link needed for Bluetooth module

Link needed for Bluetooth module
driven
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 25, 2004, 02:07 AM

Can anyone point me to the link in the Apple Store where one can buy the Internal Bluetooth module? I'm having a heck-of-a-time finding it.

Thanks in advance.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jun 25, 2004, 03:12 AM

There's no link, because Apple doesn't sell it. The only way to get the internal module is at the time of order, when ordering a build-to-order machine.

tooki

driven  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 25, 2004, 03:25 AM

Thanks for the reply!

Odd:
So ... if you buy a machine that can't be BTOed (such as a refurb, or a store retailer) you can't have bluetooth?

Seems self-defeating.

Link
Professional Poster
Jun 25, 2004, 06:12 AM

You needed me for a bluetooth WHAT?
Aloha

davebl
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 25, 2004, 10:12 AM

Ok, you can add the Apple Bluetooth Module at ANY TIME YOU WISH. The only catch is the part goes from $50.00 at the BTO option to $125.00 when you order the parts (the module and external antenna). I bought a refurbed DP 2ghz G5 and added the bluetooth module myself and still saved, in comparison to a new one.

Now where to get the parts? Call Phil at Mac-Pro. You can get the number from http://www.mac-pro.com. Tell him you want the internal bluetooth module and antenna for your G5, and he'll get it.

Installing it isn't bad at all. There is a post on MacNN somewhere displaying it, and I took pictures intending to post a detailed guide the installation.

Good luck

driven  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 25, 2004, 10:38 AM

Originally posted by davebl:
Ok, you can add the Apple Bluetooth Module at ANY TIME YOU WISH. The only catch is the part goes from $50.00 at the BTO option to $125.00 when you order the parts (the module and external antenna). I bought a refurbed DP 2ghz G5 and added the bluetooth module myself and still saved, in comparison to a new one.

Now where to get the parts? Call Phil at Mac-Pro. You can get the number from http://www.mac-pro.com. Tell him you want the internal bluetooth module and antenna for your G5, and he'll get it.

Installing it isn't bad at all. There is a post on MacNN somewhere displaying it, and I took pictures intending to post a detailed guide the installation.

Good luck
Davebl,

THANK YOU!

bowwowman
Mac Elite
Jun 26, 2004, 05:46 PM

Why not just save yourself the time & trouble and get a $30 D-Link USB adapter.......they're available almost everywhere
Personally I find it hilarious that you have the hots for my gramma. Especially seeins how she is 3x your age, and makes your Brittney-Spears-wannabe 30-something wife look like a rag doll who went thru WWIII with a burning stick of dynamite up her a** :)

driven  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 26, 2004, 06:23 PM

Yeah ... while it's much cheaper than the internal BT board, I am wondering if there is sme internal advantage to owning the internal card? (I know on a notebook there is the advantage of one less thing to plug in, but what's the advantage on a desktop?)

Inquiring minds want to know ...

Link
Professional Poster
Jun 26, 2004, 07:14 PM

for $120 you can get a USB card that has an internal port, a USB dongle, and a bit of antenna wire to satisfy your reception neeeds
Aloha

davebl
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 27, 2004, 02:46 AM

I added it simply because "I can".

I have heard that you can not boot from a bluetooth mouse/keyboard with a non-Apple bluetooth module. I do not know any truth to that.

opheim
Jun 27, 2004, 08:44 AM

Just in case you need a tutorial on installing it, I made one back when I did it earlier this year. You can follow the guide on http://tersus.no/bluetooth/
Hallvard Opheim
Dual 2GHz G5, 9800Pro, 2.5GB, BT, iSight
PB17 1GHz, 1GB

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 27, 2004, 09:06 AM

I'm perfectly happy with the D-Link module on my G5. Bought stock, so I didn't have BT built-in. It seems Apple is fully supporting this module, as it works with all of their firmware updaters so far. Perhaps D-Link is manufacturing the internal modules for Apple, and the dongle is virtually the same device? Anyway, I've got the module attached to one of the USB ports on my display, and it works perfectly.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 27, 2004, 11:14 AM

Originally posted by davebl:
I have heard that you can not boot from a bluetooth mouse/keyboard with a non-Apple bluetooth module. I do not know any truth to that.
I can't tell you the last time I booted from a mouse, or even a keyboard. Usually I boot from some sort of disk drive.

Chris

driven  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 27, 2004, 12:02 PM

Originally posted by chabig:
I can't tell you the last time I booted from a mouse, or even a keyboard. Usually I boot from some sort of disk drive.

Chris
I think what he means is that there are times when you are going to want to have some sort of interaction with the system via the keyboard during the boot process. (For example: To get to the setup mode or some such thing ... perhaps force a boot from a CD-ROM.) You might not be able to do that with the external BT module and a BT keyboard. You may have to plug in a wired keyboard.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 27, 2004, 12:34 PM

Yeah. I know. But the Apple bluetooth keyboard can be used to boot from CD, open firmware, safe mode, or single user mode. See http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=86651, question #6. It will even work with the D-Link external bluetooth module. But it does say that once you are booted to safe mode or single user mode you have to use a wired keyboard--but that's true with the internal adapters as well as external. So the bottom line is that the external adapter has exactly the same capabilities as the internal adapter.

Chris

makkystyle
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 27, 2004, 01:28 PM

Kind of off topic but how do you wake your PM from sleep if you are using BT keyboard and mouse. I use both with my PowerBook, but once the 'puter goes to sleep the only way to wake it up is by pressing a key on the PB's built-in keyboard. If your PM went to sleep how would you wake it up????

driven  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 27, 2004, 01:32 PM

Yeah. I know. But the Apple bluetooth keyboard can be used to boot from CD, open firmware, safe mode, or single user mode. See http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=86651, question #6. It will even work with the D-Link external bluetooth module. But it does say that once you are booted to safe mode or single user mode you have to use a wired keyboard--but that's true with the internal adapters as well as external. So the bottom line is that the external adapter has exactly the same capabilities as the internal adapter.

Chris
Informative post. Thank you.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 27, 2004, 02:21 PM

Originally posted by makkystyle:
Kind of off topic but how do you wake your PM from sleep if you are using BT keyboard and mouse.
Both my Powerbook and my eMac will wake by either clicking the bluetooth mouse, or by hitting a key on the bluetooth keyboard. But this feature has to be enabled in the Bluetooth Preferences. Look for a checkbox that says "Allow bluetooth devices to wake this computer."

Chris

:XI:
Mac Elite
Jun 27, 2004, 03:25 PM

Originally posted by makkystyle:
Kind of off topic but how do you wake your PM from sleep if you are using BT keyboard and mouse. I use both with my PowerBook, but once the 'puter goes to sleep the only way to wake it up is by pressing a key on the PB's built-in keyboard. If your PM went to sleep how would you wake it up????
By pressing the Power button?

makkystyle
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 27, 2004, 11:14 PM

Both my Powerbook and my eMac will wake by either clicking the bluetooth mouse, or by hitting a key on the bluetooth keyboard. But this feature has to be enabled in the Bluetooth Preferences. Look for a checkbox that says "Allow bluetooth devices to wake this computer."

Chris
Thanks, found it! That solves my PM question. Interestingly, though, the "Allow BT...." selection is greyed out on my computer. Does this have to do with the fact that my bluetooth is not internal??? But you say your eMac has this function enabled? I don't remember eMac having a built-in bluetooth option. The raBT hole deepens!

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 27, 2004, 11:35 PM

My eMac has the external dongle. The wake option was grayed out until I installed the latest bluetooth firmware update (http://www.apple.com/support/downloa...reupdater.html). After you download and install this update I bet the wake option will be there for you too.

Chris

sworthy
Mac Elite
Jun 28, 2004, 12:35 AM

My eMac has the external dongle. The wake option was grayed out until I installed the latest bluetooth firmware update (http://www.apple.com/support/downloa...reupdater.html). After you download and install this update I bet the wake option will be there for you too.

Chris
Did that with my internal bt powerbook, and it's still greyed out. Any ideas?

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 28, 2004, 08:14 AM

Try repairing permissions, then rerun the BT firmware updater.

Chris

josh k
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 12, 2004, 03:57 PM

Does anyone know if an OEM apple bluetooth module is retrofittable to a MDD G4, specifically the FW400 models? I know that the FW800 models were the only ones that were advertised as "Bluetooth Ready" but the connector and the standoffs for the module are present on the motherboard. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

driven  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 12, 2004, 06:31 PM

Originally posted by josh k:
Does anyone know if an OEM apple bluetooth module is retrofittable to a MDD G4, specifically the FW400 models? I know that the FW800 models were the only ones that were advertised as "Bluetooth Ready" but the connector and the standoffs for the module are present on the motherboard. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I would seriously doubt that it would work in an MDD G4. (Or any G4 for that matter!)

It *is* retrofitable to the G5's that do not have it, albeit it is a costly solution with no real advantage over the dongles short of being internal.
- MacBook Air M2 16GB / 512GB
- MacBook Pro 16" i9 2.4Ghz 32GB / 1TB
- MacBook Pro 15" i7 2.9Ghz 16GB / 512GB
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB
- G4 Cube 500Mhz / Shelf display unit / Museum display

bighead
Senior User
Dec 13, 2004, 05:31 PM

Originally posted by josh k:
FW400 models don't have the same connector and standoffs on the MLB. The two main differences in that same corner of the logic board are the AirPort Extreme card and the Bluetooth card. Looking on the MLB of my MDD 2003, there's no internal area for Bluetooth. It won't work.
the bighead

- MacBook Pro 15" matte non-unibody 2.6 GHz, 4GB RAM, 120/SSD & 750GB/7200
- PM G4 Dual 1.25 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 1x320 boot, 1x2TB TM Backup - 2x1TB & 2x3TB Archive/Backup

Skip Breakfast
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 13, 2004, 05:46 PM

I want to know what it looks like.
PowerMac G4 Gigabit 1.2GHz, 896MB, 2x 80GB WD SE, Pioneer 107, Radeon 9000 Pro 128MB

Macintosh TV

bighead
Senior User
Dec 13, 2004, 06:10 PM

Originally posted by Skip Breakfast:
I want to know what it looks like.
The G4 module, the G5 module, the receptacle on the MDD or the receptacle on the G5?
the bighead

- MacBook Pro 15" matte non-unibody 2.6 GHz, 4GB RAM, 120/SSD & 750GB/7200
- PM G4 Dual 1.25 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 1x320 boot, 1x2TB TM Backup - 2x1TB & 2x3TB Archive/Backup

Forum Links
Forum Rules