Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Launchbar vs. Spotlight

Launchbar vs. Spotlight
moep
Senior User
Apr 29, 2005, 07:45 AM

So - I finally got my copy of Tiger today (a few hours early, actually) and checked out Spotlight, which was one of my top-reasons for Tiger.
I was expecting Spotlight to completely replace Launchbar, but it does not. Not for me.

It's no where near as snappy as Launchbar. In fact, it actually seems laggy (0.5-1 second delay till the results pop up) I'm using a 2.5 Ghz G5 with 4 GB Ram and two 74 GB Raptors in RAID 0 and re-indexed serveral times.
Another thing is the outstanding (self learning) search algorithm of Launchbar that allows you to simply enter some random babbel that comes into your mind - it still will open the right App. Example: Enter WoW (for World of Warcraft) in Spotlight and Launchbar. Launchbar finds the right thing right away, Spotlight wants to open Screenshots for you.

I still have to spend more time with Spotlight, but as it seems, Spotlight will be my new Command-F while Launchbar is still my good old Command-Space. But that's just me.

KraziKid
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 29, 2005, 07:49 AM

How do you reindex?
15 inch MacBook Pro 2.16 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 7200 RPM 100GB HDD.

Dual 2.5 GHz Power Mac G5, 1 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, ATI Radeon X800XT.

RevEvs
Mac Elite
Apr 29, 2005, 07:53 AM

As its been said in a million threads now - spotlight is not a replacement for launchbar/quicksilver.

Spotlight is a search API. Quicksilver will be using spotlight in future versions.

I use the spotlight menu to search for files, and quicksilver for app launching.
I free'd my mind... now it won't come back.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Apr 29, 2005, 08:22 AM

Bah, forget Launchbar. F10 works perfectly with Tiger and no need to remap keys.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

I was David B.
Location: there are days when I wake up and thats exactly my question
Apr 29, 2005, 09:17 AM

Did you expect miracles?
Rev a software is like rev a hardware: Most of the time it simlpy does not compare with a well developed system.
Launchbar is at version 4 and has seen years of steady developement. It will take apple a while to beat that. Maybe they won't beat it at all.

themexican
Apr 29, 2005, 10:18 AM

I just think spotlight and launchbar are made for different things.... I've been running tiger for several days and I use them very differently. They live together quite nicely.

I've actually turned off everything but app, url and email indexing in launchbar which makes it faster. Spotlight in my mind is for data and searching within data.

Forum Links
Forum Rules