Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > My Adventures at the HOW Design Conference

My Adventures at the HOW Design Conference
MrsLarry
Senior User
Jun 4, 2010, 11:06 AM

Hi all! Tomorrow morning I leave for Denver for HOW. At the request of some design enthusiasts at MacNN, I was asked to be a correspondent of sorts and keep you all up-to-date on the goings on while I'm there.

I'll be checking in from time to time with my thoughts, learnings, etc. Please feel free to join the discussion, pass along advice, ask questions, etc.

For more info on the conference, check out: How Conference - Graphic Design is a Business as well as an Art!

Apparently, tweet is the way people communicate while at HOW, so I'll be tweeting as well, you can find me at:
Jessilee Design (JessileeDesign) on Twitter

or search the #HOWConf hashtags

andi*pandi
Jun 4, 2010, 11:42 AM

excellent! have fun!

Thorzdad
Jun 4, 2010, 04:14 PM

Have a safe trip! Can't wait to read your posts.

MrsLarry  (op)
Senior User
Jun 7, 2010, 02:07 AM

Sunday:

Went on Studio Tours today. Here is a list of the places we visited:
How Conference - Studio Tours

Cliffs notes:
EBD - hoity toity

Factory - HUGE, stark, not an environment I'd ever feel comfortable in. But, they do have a bar onsite, which was interesting.

Foils+Dies - My personal heaven. Old letterpresses, smells like fresh ink and old books.

Ink Lounge - cool place, great people, really awesome screen prints. they have workshops, if you're in the area, would highly recommend.

Spilt - Motion design, really nice work, but everyone there (all of 3 people) were "too cool" for me.

Overall, I guess I was just hoping for more insipration from the tour, rather than just hearing folks run down their resumes. (Which is why I likes F+D and Ink Lounge best)

reader50
Administrator
Jun 7, 2010, 02:14 AM

For those who don't know what this conference is about, HOW is a recursive acronym for "How to master yOur psychic poWers" {teleportation, levitation, telekinesis, telepathy}. Too bad registration is closed now, one can really get ahead by ...

er, um *cough*

Guess I'm one of those who had no idea what the HOW conference is about. So if anyone else is curious, it's a design conference aimed at the graphic arts. And registration might still be open. Haven't figured out yet what "HOW" is short for - my first guess proved to be slightly wrong.

MrsLarry  (op)
Senior User
Jun 7, 2010, 02:23 AM

Sunday continued:
Opening Keynote was great. Andy Stefanovich was really energetic and had great things to say.

Here's a link to some of his stuff.
Prophet - Insights by Andy Stefanovich

I think the keynote will be available via Podcast sometime after the conference has wrapped, if it is, I'll post it here.

Some takaway quotes that may inspire you:
"Museum mentality" - why wait to go to a museum, and pay the entrance fee to really SEE things?? Look around, sit on a park bench somewhere new, and observe. See life in a different way.

"What is your passion in action?" - Not just what you're passionate about, but what you're DOING about it.

"What's your 1% difference?" - The example was snow. When it's 32 degrees, and it's snowing, lovely little flakes, it sort of makes you happy, and think about Christmastime, and meals with family, etc. But what if it were 33 degrees? It would be sloppy, and miserable, and you'd be in a bad mood. 1 degree makes a difference. So, what can you change about your situation by 1 degree?

MrsLarry  (op)
Senior User
Jun 7, 2010, 02:29 AM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
For those who don't know what this conference is about, HOW is a recursive acronym for "How to master yOur psychic poWers" {teleportation, levitation, telekinesis, telepathy}. Too bad registration is closed now, one can really get ahead by ...

er, um *cough*

Guess I'm one of those who had no idea what the HOW conference is about. So if anyone else is curious, it's a design conference aimed at the graphic arts. And registration might still be open. Haven't figured out yet what "HOW" is short for - my first guess proved to be slightly wrong.

Yup, Graphic Arts. Sorry I didn't specify, it seemed like all graphic designers already knew.

HOW magazine’s goal is to help designers, whether they work for a design firm, for an in-house design department or for themselves, run successful, creative, profitable studios.

HOW strives to serve the business, technological and creative needs of graphic-design professionals. The magazine provides a practical mix of essential business information, up-to-date technological tips, the creative whys and hows behind noteworthy projects, and profiles of professionals who are influencing design.

Thorzdad
Jun 7, 2010, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
...Haven't figured out yet what "HOW" is short for - my first guess proved to be slightly wrong.
HOW began life back in the 80's as a print magazine aimed at graphic artists and illustrators. Its intent was to be a more hands-on version of the big-two of graphic arts magazines of the time, Print and Communication Arts (a.k.a. CA) To that end, the magazine ran features detailing the design and illustration processes of artists around the country (and world). In other words, the focus of the magazine was on "HOW" they did it. And "HOW" you can do it, too.

In other words, it isn't short for anything.

andi*pandi
Jun 7, 2010, 08:21 AM

Thanks for the report! I recall the studio tours basically inspired me to want a cooler job with a studio that had bean bag chairs and lounge time.

MrsLarry  (op)
Senior User
Jun 8, 2010, 10:53 PM

Monday:

Went to a session called "Women on Top" given by Erin Sarpa
Simon+Kabuki
(sorry boys, I suppose Andi's the only one who might appreciate this blurb)

The session was good. Erin was interesting and "real", she didn't mince words, she dropped f-bombs, it was nice. I was concerned at first that it was going to be a nutty feminist man-hating sort of thing, but it really wasn't. She just talked about how women can harness their natural tendencies toward forming bonds and relationships, and a few things that women should take notes from men about - not being afraid to take a compliment, tooting your own horn, etc. - in order to further our careers, good talk.

---

In the afternoon, I took a session called "Everything I Need to know about Advertising I learned from Star Wars" given by John January and Tug McTighe

Nerd Alert! This was a really awesome session. I'm familiar with the Star Wars movies, to the point where I've seen them all - these guys were experts. The talk was a metaphor about becoming a Creative Jedi, by always:
-Continuing to learn (live as a paduan learner),
-Concept the Jedi way (work with someone with a different skill set)
-Concentrate on the here and now (work on the work on your desk - take any opportunity)
-Beware of the dark side (Envy, Pettiness, Insecurity),
-Do or do not, there is no try (embrace the process)
-Celebrate seriously (all battle are hard fought, all victories are short lived - celebrate them)
( Last edited by MrsLarry; Jun 9, 2010 at 03:19 AM. )

Eyenigma
Jun 9, 2010, 03:05 AM

Thanks for taking the time to give the experience. Have always wanted to go to the conference, but could never quantify spending my own coin to do it. It's steeply priced. How do you honestly find it for networking? Are you making good contacts?
Which seminars are you choosing to go to?

MrsLarry  (op)
Senior User
Jun 9, 2010, 03:25 AM

Meeting TONS of contacts, and getting lots of SWAG from vendors. It's much more busy and exhausting here than I thought, but no worries, I have notes, which I plan to get sharing, in the next few days.

I'm hooked, I'm definitely coming back next year (Chicago), on my own dime if the company won't pay. It's totally worth it. Even before my first session, I was already feeling inspired. Plus the camaraderie with people going through the same struggles as you do day-to-day sharing their experience/advice is amazing. Back home, I don't know many people that do what I do. So it's wonderful, and a huge opportunity, being around like-minded folks.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 9, 2010, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by Thorzdad View Post
HOW began life back in the 80's as a print magazine aimed at graphic artists and illustrators. Its intent was to be a more hands-on version of the big-two of graphic arts magazines of the time, Print and Communication Arts (a.k.a. CA) To that end, the magazine ran features detailing the design and illustration processes of artists around the country (and world). In other words, the focus of the magazine was on "HOW" they did it. And "HOW" you can do it, too.

In other words, it isn't short for anything.
I find 'HOW' and 'print' to be rather similar these days, albeit if I had to choose one, I like 'print' more.

@MrsLarry, thank you very much by sharing your experience. Any news on the electronic (namely iPad) versions of 'HOW' and 'print'?, as long as those printed magazines don't share the fate of the extinct 'I.D.' magazine.

andi*pandi
Jun 9, 2010, 04:03 PM

Hey, not all feminists are nutty man-haters!

Thanks for the updates, I checked out the sites. It's funny to recognize some of the stuff on Simon+Kabuki from kodak and other card sites. That Star Wars presentation sounds a hoot.

When I went I didn't really make many contacts that lasted. It was nice to meet people on the HOW site so that there'd be some folks you "knew" at the conference, but after that...

I miss SWAG. Mmmm, yummy paper samples, free tshirts, and shiny new posters.

Eyenigma
Jun 10, 2010, 03:42 AM

That sounds like fun. Truth be told, I'd be surprised if HOW survived. I have to say, their magazine has dwindled to an astonishing point. It's almost sad. I imagine the conference is a decent money maker for them, but I have my doubts the publication as a whole will continue to thrive.

This is a case I hope I am wrong however. Hope you're taking some pictures. If it's not too personal (roughly) what was your entrance to the conference. I know there are different price points. I think I priced it once at about $1,000 which was a little steep. *being self employed.

MrsLarry  (op)
Senior User
Jun 10, 2010, 02:27 PM

I have more notes to share, but I'm utterly exhausted, and just need to sleep.

I PROMISE I'll have more in the next few days. stay tuned!

-Q-
Jun 10, 2010, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by MrsLarry View Post
I have more notes to share, but I'm utterly exhausted, and just need to sleep.

I PROMISE I'll have more in the next few days. stay tuned!
You were just sitting around listening to people talk. How can you possibly be tired!?!

Looking forward to the recap!

andi*pandi
Jun 10, 2010, 02:59 PM

You need an iPad to take and post notes right in the sessions.

MrsLarry  (op)
Senior User
Jun 12, 2010, 06:30 PM

On Tuesday I went to a fantastic presentation in the morning by Debbie Millman (Look Both Ways by Debbie Millman) called Why We Brand, Why we buy. It was almost a history of sorts of "branding". In Debbie's talks, she breaks branding down into evolutionary waves. that at first, branding as we know it was all about consistency. i.e. Coca Cola, a Coke on the east coast is going to taste exactly the same as one on the west coast. In the 60s/70s, brands were more about showing your belief in something, and status. The example was Levi's jeans. You'd pay extra for a pair of dungarees just for that little red tag on the back.

She proved why in more modern times when we're inundated with brands (show grocery store shelf here) why it's so important to make your brand stand out.

She showed a photo of the Marlboro man and asked everyone in the room to put their hand up if they knew who it was. Then she asked anyone in their thirties or older to put their hand down, 20s keep it up (I'm 28, mine stayed up). She then said that the Marlboro man hadn't been used in an advertising campaign in over 20 years. So that most of my life, he wasn't used for the Marlboro branch any more, yet here I am, with my hand up, knowing without a doubt that's him.

Good talk.

----

After that I took an InHOWse (in-house) session with featured speaker Chris Chapman from the Disney Institute called Client Relationships: Getting Rid of the Frustration. It's about dealing with your internal clients - marketing/account managers, etc. as an in-house designer. It was remarkably relelvant, and I hope to get a copy of his slides, which I'd be happy to share if you're interested.

He talked about how to engage your clients, explain your process, and not let them over art direct you. If they say "move this here, make that bigger, change this" he recommends you ask them "what about my design solution is not working for you? what is the end result you're not getting?" In the end, you'll find out the WHY, and then you can be a designer professional who comes up with a solution, instead of a service center taking art direction from a non-designer.

----

My afternoon sessions weren't as inspiring this day.

Better Ideas Faster: How to Brainstorm more effectively with David Sherwin, didn't keep my attention and I kept getting distracted.

The slides from this presentation are here:
ChangeOrder

Basic takeaways were:

- Identify your client's actual problems (slide 9)

- Turn the problems into ideation questions - questions that can be answered by design (slide 18)

- Time boxing (slide 30) If you have an hour to brainstorm, break it into smaller chunks, break it into smaller sessions, i.e. 20 mins of word association, 20 mins doing sketches, etc. He explores several methods of brainstorming. The idea is to not get bored and stay focused.

----

My final session of the day was "Fitting Your Employer's Big, Hairy Audacious Goals with Your Own with David Delp.

This guy was a whacko hippie. He talked a lot about how big and crazy your employers goals for themselves sound sometimes. He also talked about personal life goals. I didn't see how it worked together

Although, it was late in the afternoon, and I was tired. See his site for more info: Designing A Balanced Life™

MrsLarry  (op)
Senior User
Jun 12, 2010, 08:01 PM

Closing Keynote:

Wednesday's closing keynote was given by Kevin Carroll (Keven Carroll Katalyst, LLC)

Kevin Carroll Katalyst Blog: Home

Kevin's Closing Keynote was so beautiful it made me cry twice. (I encourage you to watch the videos on his site, he really is passionate about his work)

He talked a lot about the work he's done with his red rubber ball project (Kevin Carroll Katalyst Blog: Home) he trades children around the world their beat up balls, made from rags, scraps, bits of leather or plant leaves, and trades them for brand new balls.

The whole idea is basically encouraging play as a method of connecting. He reminded us to never stop playing and connect with our fellow designers.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 13, 2010, 04:04 AM

On Tuesday I went to a fantastic presentation in the morning by Debbie Millman (Look Both Ways by Debbie Millman) called Why We Brand, Why we buy. (…)

Good talk.
Debbie is awesome. Be it her 'thoughts' at Sterling Brands, print magazine or her books. Is the aforementioned presentation available to download or is it based on her designcast by the same name?.

After that I took an InHOWse (in-house) session with featured speaker Chris Chapman from the Disney Institute called Client Relationships: Getting Rid of the Frustration. It's about dealing with your internal clients - marketing/account managers, etc. as an in-house designer. It was remarkably relelvant, and I hope to get a copy of his slides, which I'd be happy to share if you're interested.
Yes, please.

andi*pandi
Jun 13, 2010, 07:22 AM

Me too. We have a lot of client frustration going on!

MrsLarry  (op)
Senior User
Jun 21, 2010, 11:18 AM

Books I bought:

This first one I'm about halfway through, and it's great!! For anyone who's an in-house designer or manager, this is amazing.
Amazon.com: The Corporate Creative: Tips and Tactics for Thriving as an In-House Designer (9781600614187): Andy Epstein: Books

This one was on sale for $10, and has a plush cover, and I thought it would look nice on the coffee table. Interviews with designers about what inspires them. Been occasionally flipping through. Nice.
Amazon.com: Inspirability: 40 Top Designers Speak Out About What Inspires (9781581805550): PASH, Matt Pashkow: Books

If you'd seen my site, you know I design wedding invitations and these are going to be HUGELY helpful.
Amazon.com: The Vector Brushes Sourcebook: 300 Unique Brushes for Digital Illustration (9781440303012): Emily Portnoi: Books

MrsLarry  (op)
Senior User
Jun 21, 2010, 11:25 AM

Some additional thoughts: Re: the social aspects of the conference:

There was a lot of bar-crawling, and dinner get-togethers, and breakfast roundtables to meet and chat with other designers. Lots of party animals, but no peer pressure. I'm not much of a drinker, but I went along and really had a fantastic time.

I said it to the group I was hanging with while I was there. "Before I even attended a single session, I already felt more inspired." Honestly, it feels nice to be around like-minded people. All my friends at home are teachers and nurses, my husband is a tech guy, my dad's a car guy. I don't really know anyone that does what I do. So to be around other in-house designers, other freelancers, other folks who drink Mountain Dew, have trouble sleeping at night and talk faster than they can think - was really refreshing. It's easy to make friends, because it's so easy to relate.

Then again, I guess that's why we all hang around a Mac message board...

andi*pandi
Jun 22, 2010, 12:25 PM

Yep, that's about what I remember too. I also liked learning how other shops are run and hearing other people's war stories.

Now, I work in a large group of designers, so I don't crave design talk as much. You're a one person shop?

MrsLarry  (op)
Senior User
Jun 22, 2010, 05:36 PM

I'm an in-house designer at a mid-sized bank in New England. 1 of 2 people here.

I also run my own small business designing wedding invitations, etc.

Eyenigma
Jun 25, 2010, 12:53 AM

So w. all said and done, being completely objective -- do you think you took away in value what you spent to go? *including travel, time away from work, etc.

MrsLarry  (op)
Senior User
Jun 25, 2010, 10:42 AM

Value... hard to say

Will my company see a monetary return on their ~$1500 investment? Probably not.

But as %50 of the in-house design team, I'm more motivated, engaged, and inspired. Not to mention I'll be presenting key takeaways at my team's next staff meeting. I'll be covering the importance of establishing a strong brand (which is something my account team struggles with - they keep wanting me to design pieces which are off-brand, and getting aggravated when I have to be, as they call it, 'the brand police') and also about communication between the design and account teams. The account team has a tendency to get "art director-y" and that's not their job. I think establishing the in-house team as experts and making sure the account team knows that it's our responsibility to solve their design problems will help that.

So that can't hurt.

Plus, I've gotten a lot of coupons/promo codes for stock photography, that I'm sure we'll take advantage of.

andi*pandi
Jun 25, 2010, 12:06 PM

Ah, yes. Salesmen as art directors. Give 'em what for.

Thorzdad
Jun 25, 2010, 01:53 PM

...The account team has a tendency to get "art director-y" and that's not their job. I think establishing the in-house team as experts and making sure the account team knows that it's our responsibility to solve their design problems will help that...
Good luck with that. I hope you have strong support from your managers in order to enforce it. My last in-house job was exactly that...sales teams acting as art directors. It was all I could do to maintain even the slightest brand unity across all the different things the regional teams kept dreaming-up. It didn't help that the marketing director pretty much let the regional offices dictate their own materials.

I've always dreamed of what it must be like to work in a system that actually valued their creative staff.

andi*pandi
Jun 25, 2010, 02:20 PM

I had sales guys making their own flyers, stretching the logo, complete crap.

Forum Links
Forum Rules