Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Dead Wii - sent in for repair

Dead Wii - sent in for repair
MrsLarry
Senior User
Dec 29, 2010, 11:46 AM

My husband and I got Super Mario Galaxy 2 for Christmas. Started up the Wii for the first time in a few months, and it says an update is available, so I run the update, restart and BOOM. Error. "The file system is corrupted."

So I spent some time on the phone with Nintendo customer service. After powering down and up the sucker ~5 times to no avail, dude tells me I have to send it in for repair. (It's not under warranty, we got it on the first day they were released 4 years ago, stood outside for 4 hours at midnight at Target - yeah, we loyal Nintendo fans) Then he drops the bomb that it's going to be $85. I was pretty shocked. It seemed to me that the update was very clearly the problem, I didn't do anything to break it, I didn't tinker with it, hack it, or otherwise mistreat it, so I feel like $85 is pretty unfair, out of warranty or not. (My original NES from 1985 still works!!!)

My negotiating skills are mediocre at best, but I do have one move - the damsel in distress. (I know, feminism, blah blah, but hey - it works!) So I start with the loyal Nintendo fans, Spent $XXX dollars in our lifetimes, this is unfair, cute voice, bat eyelashes - VOILA! $40 discount! I would've paid the $85, but the discount is great! Yay for me!

I sent it in today - won't have it back for 2-3 weeks. I really wanted to play Mario.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Dec 29, 2010, 12:18 PM

That sucks but kudos on the use of your feminine wiles to get a discount.

This is the first dead Wii I've ever heard about, my buddys Wii even took a 4 foot drop while running and made it out unscathed.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 29, 2010, 12:21 PM

Recusing myself.

Also, wrong forum

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 29, 2010, 01:02 PM

Consoles today are built like complete crap. They really don't make em like they used to.

All of my 20 year old consoles still work like champs... but anything with a disc drive is no longer functioning.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Snow-i
Professional Poster
Dec 29, 2010, 01:25 PM

If they didn't build em like crap there would be no money in repairs. I would imagine that Nintendo had an idea of how many they wanted to fail over a certain time period and designed the platform with that in mind. Not too many to piss off customers but enough to rake in some extra dough.

hayesk
Dec 29, 2010, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by MrsLarry View Post
I was pretty shocked. It seemed to me that the update was very clearly the problem
I'm glad you got a discount the update did not necessarily cause the problem, you could have had a latent file system problem that only exposed itself when it restarted. There could have been a corrupt file that is only accessed when it starts so the problem could have happened if you simply power-cycled your Wii. Otherwise, lots of people would be complaining about their Wiis not working after the update.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 29, 2010, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
Consoles today are built like complete crap. They really don't make em like they used to.
They used to be much simpler. This si the price we play for having specialized computers.

Originally Posted by Snow-i View Post
If they didn't build em like crap there would be no money in repairs.
Give me a break. Bad PR on failed systems outweighs any profit incentive on repairs. The numbers are minuscule, anyway.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 29, 2010, 01:47 PM

There is no money in repairs. There is however someone out there weighing the cost benefit of using cheapo parts vs. the bad publicly of having a console that breaks more often.
( Last edited by ort888; Dec 29, 2010 at 02:36 PM. )

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

andi*pandi
Dec 29, 2010, 02:27 PM

That sucks, but glad you got the repair cost down. It's ridiculous when the cost of even looking at the thing is almost half of a new one.

bstone
Mac Elite
Dec 30, 2010, 01:30 PM

I just plugged in the original NES and a friend and I spent 2 days playing and beating The Legend of Zelda. It was completely epic. We're going to start on Quest 2 on Sunday.
Emergency Medicine & Urgent Care.

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Dec 30, 2010, 04:38 PM

I would've said is something to the effect of: "$85? That's about half of the new Xbox 360 I was thinking about getting."

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 30, 2010, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by bstone View Post
I just plugged in the original NES and a friend and I spent 2 days playing and beating The Legend of Zelda. It was completely epic. We're going to start on Quest 2 on Sunday.
The above example shows that an accurate reply for not one but two MacNN Lounge threads is not a chimera.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Dec 30, 2010, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by bstone View Post
Is that the side-scrolling Zelda? Never played it or heard anything great about it either.

Now Link to the Past, there's an epic game

hayesk
Dec 30, 2010, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
Is that the side-scrolling Zelda? Never played it or heard anything great about it either.
The Adventures of Link is the name of the side scrolling Zelda - the second Zelda game. It was ok, but certainly not epic and didn't feel like a LoZ game.

I liked the world it was set in - it felt very expansive, but it was annoying frustrating when you got to the last castle. When you died and ran out of "continues" you had to start way back at the beginning. You had to cross the ocean, go through a few annoyingly dangerous parts just to get back to the last castle and try to try to defeat it all over again.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 31, 2010, 01:30 AM

So, THAT’S how you defeat that game1!

MrsLarry  (op)
Senior User
Jan 7, 2011, 12:41 PM

The Wii has returned! But we lost all our game data and Miis :

It was faster than I expected, so that's good. I'm glad I wasn't too far into Mario Galaxy 2. Now I'll have to spend the night catching back up.

Forum Links
Forum Rules