Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Macbook Pro - RIP

Macbook Pro - RIP
ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 16, 2010, 04:52 PM

So last night some friends popped by to watch the hockey game and I put my 2007 2.2 GHz C2D MacBook Pro to sleep. We decided to order a pizza and went to Google a pizza shop. Nothing. Light was off, screen was off. I thought, "that's pretty weird, did I turn that off by mistake?" Press the power button... nothing.

Closed the lid - and the light came back on. WTF. Opened the lid, and the light went off again. Eventually screwed around with it enough that I figured out how to "turn it on" - but there was no chime, the screen was dead, and the hard drive would just spin up momentarily but you could tell nothing was loading. No light on the caps lock. Holding down the power button would turn it off again, but to no effect.

Brought it to a local store this morning - heard a chime when I started it up, but that was the only difference. Just went down there and they say the logic board's gone. Not worth doing anything about. Computer's 2 and a half years old, I didn't get the extended warranty because I've never had a Mac problem before - SOL. Got the hard drive put into an external case, but that's about it.

Sigh. Well. Raw deal.

greg
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Apr 16, 2010, 04:58 PM

Damn, the logic board is always the worst thing you can have die. How much is it for a new board off ebay even?

ShortcutToMoncton  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 16, 2010, 05:20 PM

Rough guess is around $500. Computer's not worth much more than that (I was going to sell it after my last exam - next week actually - and was expecting about $700 tops). I have a PC laptop from work so figured I'd put the money towards an i5/i7 iMac for a home station.

greg

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Apr 16, 2010, 05:42 PM

If it isn't a unibody MBP then ya I wouldn't bother. Sell if for parts if you can.

solofx7
Mac Elite
Apr 16, 2010, 08:28 PM

That is super crappy. I had that happen to me once. Thank goodness my local store people were nice to me. I was outside of warranty by 8 months and they could see how broken hearted I was to see $3000 fly out the window like that. They went in the back and brought me a brand new one with updated specs and all. Basically they exchanged it for me needless to say I bought the extended warranty on the spot.
iMac 27inch 3.4 i7 16gb ram, MacBook Air 11 inch i5 128gb, iMac 27inch 2.8 i7 8gb ram, MacBook Pro 17 inch 2.66 i7, 4gb ram 500gb HDD Seagate XT,
iPhone 4 - Time Capsule 2tb, Apple TV - iPad 2 64gb

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Apr 17, 2010, 11:39 PM

At year 2.5 years old sometimes the Apple store will offer a $349 warranty repair. It cannot hurt to ask.

They offered it to me a couple of years ago but I decided it was just time for a new box.

-Allen

solofx7
Mac Elite
Apr 17, 2010, 11:40 PM

I had the weirdest set of events ever happen with macs. I stuck by apple when my first couple machines pooped out on my. And to be honest they made my bad situations good by turning them around for me. They not only try, try harder, but make sure they are the best. That kind of hardware, support, and service is something you will not get anywhere else.
iMac 27inch 3.4 i7 16gb ram, MacBook Air 11 inch i5 128gb, iMac 27inch 2.8 i7 8gb ram, MacBook Pro 17 inch 2.66 i7, 4gb ram 500gb HDD Seagate XT,

ShortcutToMoncton  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 18, 2010, 12:02 PM

Yeah, well, I've never had a problem with an Apple machine before - besides a hard drive failure now and again, which happens. Hell, I've still got a working Apple ][e!

I should've just gotten the 3-year warranty on it though... laptops just generally take more abuse than desktops, and to be honest almost every person I know who has an Apple laptop at school has had some sort of trouble with it.

Apple didn't mentioned the $350 warranty repair, but the machine has had a couple nagging problems - the power cord is badly frayed and needs to be replaced before it catches on fire, the DVD drive no longer reads dual-layer DVDs and needs to be replaced, etc. etc. I'm probably just going to take the loss and get an iMac next month and move on....

greg

issa
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 18, 2010, 06:09 PM

Greg,

Sorry about your MacBook Pro. Hope it served you well.

You are surely on top of this anyway. But, if portability isn't the priority for your replacement machine, then the Core i5/i7 iMacs do offer more bang for the buck than they ever did. Perhaps you saw the benchmarks just posted at Barefeats in which they test the new lineup of MacBook Pros, and in which they include the Core i7 iMac for the sake of comparison. The results speak for themselves. Then again, the Core i5/i7 iMacs even bested the current Mac Pro models in MacWorld's benchmarks. (Click on "Show More" to see the graph.)

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 18, 2010, 06:45 PM

You could try taking the RAM out and putting one stick back in, just to see if it makes a difference. Can't hurt.

solofx7
Mac Elite
Apr 19, 2010, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
Yeah, well, I've never had a problem with an Apple machine before - besides a hard drive failure now and again, which happens. Hell, I've still got a working Apple ][e!

I should've just gotten the 3-year warranty on it though... laptops just generally take more abuse than desktops, and to be honest almost every person I know who has an Apple laptop at school has had some sort of trouble with it.

Apple didn't mentioned the $350 warranty repair, but the machine has had a couple nagging problems - the power cord is badly frayed and needs to be replaced before it catches on fire, the DVD drive no longer reads dual-layer DVDs and needs to be replaced, etc. etc. I'm probably just going to take the loss and get an iMac next month and move on....

greg
I have seen hard drives go a couple times. I guess that is why I am thinking SSD for the next one. I have still not found a total syncing solution for multiple macs that keep everything in sync.

solofx7
Mac Elite
Apr 19, 2010, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by issa View Post
Greg,

Sorry about your MacBook Pro. Hope it served you well.

You are surely on top of this anyway. But, if portability isn't the priority for your replacement machine, then the Core i5/i7 iMacs do offer more bang for the buck than they ever did. Perhaps you saw the benchmarks just posted at Barefeats in which they test the new lineup of MacBook Pros, and in which they include the Core i7 iMac for the sake of comparison. The results speak for themselves. Then again, the Core i5/i7 iMacs even bested the current Mac Pro models in MacWorld's benchmarks. (Click on "Show More" to see the graph.)
I am still very impressed with the speed of my iMac i7. It is surprising how silent it is under OSX, but out of control loud in windows. I know it is because of me running games on that side, but it is loud nonetheless.

Forum Links
Forum Rules