Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Opinions about getting an iPhone now?

Opinions about getting an iPhone now?
Jolt21
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 29, 2007, 11:13 AM

i know nobody knows the date for the next iPhone, but what do people think about getting one within the next couple of weeks? I really want one, but am such a tech freak that I don't want to be stuck with the old when the new one comes out. the SDK thing made me a little easier about getting one now since there will be 3rd party apps, but the 3G one sounds great.

So if you wanted to get one right now, would you? or wait?
blah

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Nov 29, 2007, 11:22 AM

I'd wait for Macworld.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Nov 29, 2007, 11:46 AM

Personally, I'd wait at least until MacWorld. It's likely the new 3G iPhones will at least be announced then. At that point, you could decide if you want to wait for them or go ahead with the current one.

GuillaumeB
Forum Regular
Nov 29, 2007, 12:19 PM

depends where u live ... they might be out first in the US, but definitely not at macworld... it willprobably just an announcement... i guess they'll come out next summer...
i'd get one now
My website
MBP 13" Uni - 4GB RAM
MBP 15" - 4GB RAM

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Nov 29, 2007, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by Mrjinglesusa View Post
Personally, I'd wait at least until MacWorld. It's likely the new 3G iPhones will at least be announced then. At that point, you could decide if you want to wait for them or go ahead with the current one.
No way in hell.

Apple is going to sell a TON of iPhones at Xmas and right after on boxing day with people redeeming gift cards for iPhone.

If a week later Apple comes out with a 16 gig model or a 3G model there would be a line up around the block with pissed of iPhone owners that want a free exchange to the higher model.

Steve himself said he "hopes" to have 3G iPhones by the end of 2008. Currently iPhones are selling like mad even without 3G.

Not to mention the thing holding back 3G is battery life and AT&T coverage you can bet there has been no major developments in either since the iPhone has been released.

I think the earliest iPhone upgrade will be to 16 gigs but that will only come way after xmas like in March earliest.

macdude
Nov 29, 2007, 12:30 PM

I'd go ahead and buy one.

I really don't understand all the obsessiveness with 3G. (not talking about you OP) I've always looked at it in a glass-half-full way, even though I am typically a very pessimistic person. I completely understand that yes, perhaps the iPhone falls behind in the internet technology when compared to other phones today, but honestly, I'd rather have an O.K. speed/connection than dial-up speeds, or even none at all.

(I'm praying that they don't change the design so people won't be able to tell that I don't have the newest one if and when it does come out, lol.)

In addition, the 3G coverage is spotty and certainly not as abundant if you do not live in a heavily populated metropolitan/geographical location.

JMHO, of course.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Nov 29, 2007, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
No way in hell.

Apple is going to sell a TON of iPhones at Xmas and right after on boxing day with people redeeming gift cards for iPhone.

If a week later Apple comes out with a 16 gig model or a 3G model there would be a line up around the block with pissed of iPhone owners that want a free exchange to the higher model.

Steve himself said he "hopes" to have 3G iPhones by the end of 2008. Currently iPhones are selling like mad even without 3G.

Not to mention the thing holding back 3G is battery life and AT&T coverage you can bet there has been no major developments in either since the iPhone has been released.

I think the earliest iPhone upgrade will be to 16 gigs but that will only come way after xmas like in March earliest.
Perhaps you missed this:

MacNN | AT&T confirms 3G iPhone due next year

My point was that it is best to wait to buy ANY Apple product when MacWorld is only a month away. 3G iPhones are coming next year. When? We don't know, but they are coming.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Nov 29, 2007, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by Mrjinglesusa View Post
Perhaps you missed this:

MacNN | AT&T confirms 3G iPhone due next year

My point was that it is best to wait to buy ANY Apple product when MacWorld is only a month away. 3G iPhones are coming next year. When? We don't know, but they are coming.
Why would I have missed that? I still said they are coming in 2008 but that doesnt' mean MacWorld.

Oh and for the recored Steve Jobs the CEO said "we HOPE to have them by the end of next year if battery technology has caught up".

So my guess is right before Xmas next year.

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 29, 2007, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
I'd wait for Macworld.
I agree with that.

giggs11
Forum Regular
Nov 29, 2007, 04:36 PM

Keeping in mind today's 3G news, plus the fact that Apple tends to release new revisions of most products after six to eight months, plus MacWorld coming soon, I'd say to wait until the new year if you can.

If you can't though, there's certainly nothing wrong with the current iPhone. But those of us who don't need it now and are a little annoyed at some of the minor things (no cut/paste, no 3G, no wireless sync) might as well see what the next revision has in store.

k2director
Senior User
Dec 3, 2007, 04:09 AM

I highly highly doubt Apple will announce a 3G iPhone at Macworld. I think they haven't had enough time to get the technology working properly, and I think it would be too early given the recent launches of 2G iPhones in Europe. And even if the phone wouldn't be delivered for months, Apple wouldn't want its announcement to kill existing sales.

But I *do* think Apple will announce some kind of new software update for existing iPhones with new apps like To Dos, and more. Maybe they'll call it "iPhone 2.0", but make it free, or for a nominal charge. Seems like Macworld would be a great place to make the introduction, since that's where the iPhone was unveiled a year ago.

kill bill
Forum Regular
Dec 3, 2007, 08:37 PM

what is 3g? And has there been any word on the memory capacity of the next generation iphones? The whole 8gb thing is what's kept me away from them.

rslifka
Forum Regular
Dec 4, 2007, 04:43 AM

Hey OP, I'm in the same boat. Really dislike my current phone and absolutely jonesing for an iPhone.

Rumor is that they're expected to deliver in May to a teleco in Spain (search Google for it, it's an easy find), which would mean an announcement at MacWorld would fit that schedule perfectly. However that doesn't mean it will launch in the US alongside. We're a month away from MacWorld now. If there was a 3G device ready to launch, we'd be deluged with rumors.

Really though 99.9% of the time I'm around WiFi (especially living in the bay area) so 3G isn't a huge deal for me. Combine that with significantly less battery life (AnandTech: No 3G on the iPhone, but why? A Battery Life Analysis) and I'm not all that hungry for a 3G device.

My real fear is a cheaper device with more space, better battery life, better camera, etc. Say a $399 16GB and a $499 40GB - something like that.

If I pull the trigger now and get one and then they announce/launch a rev in January, I'm going to wish I waited.

That's why I'm waiting

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 4, 2007, 12:29 PM

What if Apple raise the price on the iPhone? Will it happen?

theDreamer
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 4, 2007, 12:37 PM

I can see a price increase with the next revision, if they add space & 3G. Though it may not happen until June again when they actually put the phone on the market.

It is dreams that will survive, for a dream is immortal.

donutogre
Dec 4, 2007, 01:05 PM

There's no way they'll just raise the price from $399. They might add in a $499 model with extra space or new features or something, but they won't do away with that price point (unless it is to lower it further, but that won't be happening any time soon either).

I am in the same boat. I am going crazy...I've hated my POS phone for almost a year now, my contract expires on 12/26, and I've got $400 saved for an iPhone. I really, really want to run out and get one on the 26th. However, I also really, really want 16GB of space. I tried making a playlist of essential albums in my collection and it was closer to 9 gigs than 7 and then I'd have no room for video and photos. An 8GB iPhone would require a pretty vast change of my habits (coming from a 60GB iPod). But a 16GB iPhone would let me get a big chunk of music in, about 12GB or so and have space left over for a bunch of TV episodes and a gig of photos.

So i'm doing my best to talk myself into waiting the extra 3 weeks to Macworld and have my fingers crossed for an immediately available 16GB iPhone!
~nate

Voch
Mac Elite
Dec 4, 2007, 03:19 PM

I'm hopeful for a data-only plan as mentioned in this ArsTechnica blurb (magic phrase: "near future").

I can stick with Verizon for voice (by mostly coincidence almost all my friends and family use Verizon, so it saves us minutes) but get myself an iPhone for just data stuff.

Other than that, I'm waiting for the MacWorld keynote too. We'll see what surprises await.

zanyterp
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 4, 2007, 07:25 PM

i'm kind of in the same boat...been wanting one since it was announced last year, but due to the price point did not think i would be getting one (that and they seemed rather easily broken based on appearance alone without having seen one in person)...but due to a job change and seeing one in person, it looks like i can get one. but with macworld away, and having just gotten the go ahead to be able to get one, it is worth the wait for me to see what is going to happen.

Good luck on what you decide!!
some people are like slinkys: they don't do much, but are fun to push down stairs.

sogbrightlight
Forum Regular
Dec 5, 2007, 03:33 PM

Wait. You want the 3G iPhone. It'll make worlds of difference in data transfer. Also the capacity of the iPhone might increase in the next release no matter how long it takes. It's simply not worth it at the moment yet. On top of that you'll pay at least 60 dollars a month for the data plan and you can't even use the best they have.

So until the iPhone has 3G I'd hold off. Right now I think having an iPhone is more of a cool factor then completely practical, considering the amount of phones that have similar features save the touchscreen and also have 3G compatibility.

That's my opinion though.

Edit: ATT has said that 3G iPhone will be available in 2008. It's just more sensible to wait.
Bla Bla Bla

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 5, 2007, 07:04 PM

While its pretty much confirmed that we will get a 3G iPhone in 2008, no one knows exactly when in 2008 that will be. My thought is that they might announce a 3G iPhone at Macworld Expo, but like the original iPhone it won't be available for another 5-6 months (FCC thing again). I highly doubt Apple would release iPhone 2.0 in January. The loads of people who will buy iPhones for Christmas would revolt and Apple would have a PR nightmare on their hands.

If they do release some update to the iPhone in January, it will be a minor update, with the biggest addition being 16GB of capacity.

Just my opinion though.

amp5
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 19, 2007, 12:49 AM

i really don't think they will announce 3G iPhone anytime soon. I think official announcement would come in late spring, couple reasons: AT&T's painfully slow 3G deployment being one and as other users indicated on previous posts 1st gen iPhone is still a big money making project for apple and i don't think they would kill that. AT&T's 3G deployment is slow, you can check the 3g coverage map on their website, only handful of cities/towns, even in most major market. if i am not mistaken, since the launch of iPhone last year (not announcement actual launch) AT&T's 3G coverage hasn't changed much to satisfy Steve Jobs. Keep in mind the coverage map lists cities or regions by each state and my recent experience with their "BroadbandConnect" service for laptop data cards was very disappointing. i traveled through several cities/towns (from MA to all the way to FL) included on AT&T's 3g coverage map and was still very disappointed. I work as an independent network design consultant and swear to god for my trip from MA to FL for a client implementation i picked hotels within cities/towns from AT&T's 3G coverage map but was very disappointed. Sprint's Rev A crushed AT&T 3G big time but thats not the point.

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Dec 22, 2007, 11:28 AM

3G and 16GB, in June. That's the soonest I expect.

I want an iPhone too. I had resigned myself to the possibility of never getting one. My wife and I are with tmobile. The plan we have beats anything that AT&T could provide us with, but nothing remotely close to the iPhone. I have a Dash, which is a Windows Mobile based device. It's not very graceful at anything. I don't want an iPhone just because it's by Apple. I want an iPhone because I really think it's a superior product. I'm hoping for one for Christmas, but also not hoping for one. Partially because I want a newer better v2 iPhone, and partially because I don't want to be disappointed if it doesn't come. (I got my wife an iTouch...)
2008 iMac 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Memory, GeForce 8800, 500GB HD, SuperDrive
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

Andhee
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 22, 2007, 12:45 PM

I was reading something on BBC News a while back, and it said their is going to be a new iPhone released in January. Just by reading through this thread it says there's a macworld event or something (no idea what that is ), and its in the next month? My guess is that they will release the new version then.

3G is a deffo, might even see a better camera (don't take my word for it).

Overall - I think January is the release for the new iphone, or atleast the announcement.

Andy.

gradient
Mac Elite
Dec 22, 2007, 04:15 PM

As many others have said, it would be a PR nightmare for Apple to make every iPhone sold for the Christmas season obsolete within a month. There's no way we'll see the new version that quick.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Dec 23, 2007, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by gradient View Post
As many others have said, it would be a PR nightmare for Apple to make every iPhone sold for the Christmas season obsolete within a month. There's no way we'll see the new version that quick.
It is scary how obvious that point is yet people here still firmly believe January will bring iPhones with GPS, 3G, 16 Gigs.

IT ISN'T GOING TO HAPPEN IN JANUARY YOU CAN BET ON IT.

Steve might skip the iPhone altogether in Jan and wait till Feb to announce the iPhone developer SDK. At most the next iPhone upgrade will be to 16 gigs with the fancier stuff coming in the second half of the year.

greenG4
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 23, 2007, 02:45 PM

It is scary how obvious that point is yet people here still firmly believe January will bring iPhones with GPS, 3G, 16 Gigs.

Steve might skip the iPhone altogether in Jan and wait till Feb to announce the iPhone developer SDK. At most the next iPhone upgrade will be to 16 gigs with the fancier stuff coming in the second half of the year.
QFT. I had no problem getting an iPhone for Christmas, as there is no way the iPhone will be updated so soon. I would expect a big software updated that would add significant features, but not new hardware already.
<Witty comment here>
www.healthwebit.com

MrForgetable
Mac Elite
Dec 23, 2007, 04:13 PM

I just got one yesterday. I like it and I don't think I will regret it. It'll still be pretty cool in 5 years, like Steve says!!!!
iamwhor3hay

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Dec 23, 2007, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by greenG4 View Post
QFT. I had no problem getting an iPhone for Christmas, as there is no way the iPhone will be updated so soon. I would expect a big software updated that would add significant features, but not new hardware already.
There have been no big advancements in 3G on either AT&T's coverage OR the battery drain and costs it adds since the iPhone was announced a Year ago.

Steve flat out said "He HOPES to have a 3G by the END of 2008". Right now it adds too much bulk and eats the battery by no tomorrow. And again the cost would go up and the coverage stinks.

The iPhone is selling like MAD in its current form so why in the hell should Apple feel it needs to have more expensive components in it so they make less money on each sale. They can't sell anymore if they wanted too!

I say the 1 year anniversary of when the iPhone SHIPPED is the first time you will see any hardware changes other than capacity.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Dec 23, 2007, 06:37 PM

There have been no big advancements in 3G on either AT&T's coverage OR the battery drain and costs it adds since the iPhone was announced a Year ago.
I'm pretty sure you're wrong on BOTH counts.

One: Electronista | AT&T launches HSUPA mobile access, PC Card

Two: Electronista | Broadcom develops all-in-one 3G phone chip

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Dec 23, 2007, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by analogika View Post
I'm pretty sure you're wrong on BOTH counts.

One: Electronista | AT&T launches HSUPA mobile access, PC Card"
From your link:
"Apple chief Steve Jobs has expressed a desire to introduce a 3G iPhone by late next year but has not said whether the company will have the opportunity to use HSUPA as part of the upgrade, which he said was contingent on the battery life of upcoming 3G chipsets."

And in the same link where does it say anything about increased coverage? It just mentions higher speeds for the current wimpy 3G coverage.

From your link again:
"No manufacturers have been named"
So you think since it was announced 2 months ago with nobody making it Apple will have it in the iPhone in a matter of months?

"The Broadcom development may also address a key complaint of Apple chief executive Steve Jobs, who in a European press conference said that 3G iPhones were held back primarily because of the poor battery life of current chipsets. Most 3G phones top at three hours of battery life when using the technology for enhanced calls or data versus the eight hours of calls for slower, EDGE-only hardware. However, Apple currently uses Infineon hardware and would likely have to switch suppliers entirely to use the Broadcom development in the iPhone."

analogika
Posting Junkie
Dec 23, 2007, 07:49 PM

You said something about "no big advancements" in both AT&T's 3G coverage AND in battery life of 3G chipsets.

Both are incorrect.

I, on the other hand, made no statements at all about the likelihood of those developments affecting Apple's release schedule for the next iPhone model, let alone what their timeline might be.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Dec 23, 2007, 08:16 PM

You said something about "no big advancements" in both AT&T's 3G coverage AND in battery life of 3G chipsets.
I still don't see where you think the coverage of 3G has increased and some product that isn't even being manufactured is hardly something i would call a big advancement when nobody can use them.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Dec 23, 2007, 11:25 PM

okuwinthxbye.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Dec 24, 2007, 02:04 PM

okuwinthxbye.
Chicken

But I hope you are right and I am wrong and we all get super duper iPhones in January.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Dec 24, 2007, 04:10 PM

One more time:

I wouldn't be "right". I made no claims WHATSOEVER about how likely it is that new phones are released in January.

I actually don't think we'll see them until spring.

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Dec 24, 2007, 04:15 PM

My wife took me to the Apple Store and made me choose between the iPhone and the iPod Touch. I chose the iPhone. I sure as heck hope they don't come out with a 16gb iPhone next month. I decided that having an all-in-one device was my preference to having more room. And I wanted it now. If I need more space, I'll get the soldering Iron out (jk!)
2008 iMac 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Memory, GeForce 8800, 500GB HD, SuperDrive
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

Zeeb
Mac Elite
Dec 26, 2007, 09:01 PM

I have no idea if there will be a new iphone available in January. However, is your point based upon the reaction people had to the $200 price drop? This is a different situation really. I think only the most techno geeks among us would be pissed if Steve announced a new iphone in January--as long as the price doesn't plummet another $200. lol

Don't forget, Macworld usually has *some* new update to a product(mbp, mb, or mp) that people bought the previous version of a few weeks ago for Xmas--and never has there been a severe reaction (except among tech geeks here on the forums.)

So although there may be many reasons that there will *not* be the introduction of a new model--I don't think the fear of a revolt among iphone users is necessarily a good one.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jan 15, 2008, 05:24 PM

Told ya.

donutogre
Jan 17, 2008, 04:36 PM

i certainly am glad i pulled the trigger on my iphone the day my verizon contract expired on the 26th of december. a big part of me felt like waiting, but my previous phone was really on its last legs...got what i needed when i needed it and i love it. i was pretty nervous during the keynote though that my 3 week old phone was about to become obsolete.
~nate

Forum Links
Forum Rules