Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > 30" Display doesn't play well with Powerpoint

30" Display doesn't play well with Powerpoint
hldan
Mac Elite
May 29, 2005, 02:45 PM

I just got the new 2.3Ghz PowerMac and the 30" ACD. I noticed that when I play Powerpoint presentations (view show) the images are cut off at top and bottom. In other words the presentation plays at full screen but I can see parts of the old slide mixed in with the current slide and the current slide is cut off at the bottom so I never see the whole slide at any given time.
I have tried to play with the settings but no go and I can't make the slides show play at a smaller screen size.
Any feedback please?
iMac 24" 2.8 Ghz Core 2 Extreme
500GB HDD
4GB Ram
Proud new Owner!

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
May 30, 2005, 09:52 PM

perhaps powerpoint has a resolution limit on the slides, try a smaller resolution.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
May 30, 2005, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by hldan
I just got the new 2.3Ghz PowerMac and the 30" ACD. I noticed that when I play Powerpoint presentations (view show) the images are cut off at top and bottom. In other words the presentation plays at full screen but I can see parts of the old slide mixed in with the current slide and the current slide is cut off at the bottom so I never see the whole slide at any given time.
I have tried to play with the settings but no go and I can't make the slides show play at a smaller screen size.
Any feedback please?
I have the same issue. I've been trying to work around it, but no luck yet.
In the end, I ended up attaching a really old 15" Apple Studio Display (the old blue & white VGA/ADB one) to preview slide shows.

DaveGee
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 23, 2005, 02:08 PM

Bump bump..

I too have a user with this issue...

PowerMac G5 with an X850 ATI card and an Apple 30" LCD

PowerPoint can't do slide shows when you are running at the top resolution (or even the 2nd to top resolution). Using the 3rd from top resolution (and lower resolutions) seem to make the problem go away...

Anyone have any ideas? I'm going to try and update the ATI drivers to see if it makes any difference but the release notes don't make any mention of this PowerPoint issue.

Dave

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 23, 2005, 11:00 PM

It seems to be a PPT issue. I too have to use a separate display to preview slideshows.

budster101
Baninated
Location: Illinois might be cold and flat, but at least it's ugly.
Sep 23, 2005, 11:09 PM

Try it with another presentation tool.... NeoOffice has something for free to try.

Keynote would work.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 24, 2005, 09:42 AM

Yes, no problem with Keynote.
But the only two solutions so far for PPT seems to be either a second display or decreasing the resolution of the main display temporarily while reviewing your slideshow.

budster101
Baninated
Location: Illinois might be cold and flat, but at least it's ugly.
Sep 24, 2005, 11:34 PM

PowerPoint isn't the best program on the market. It's quite pathetic actually. Dump it.

Keynote exports to PP.

Forum Links
Forum Rules