Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > What Extra's do I need ??

What Extra's do I need ??
cheery7upper
Forum Regular
Sep 24, 2005, 02:38 AM

I just purchased a new 14in ibook w/ superdrive and I bought a mighty mouse along with it, what other things do I need so that my ibook can be the most productive ??
( Last edited by cheery7upper; Sep 25, 2005 at 03:08 AM. )

Dakkon
Forum Regular
Sep 24, 2005, 03:54 AM

nothing really... i have a powerbook, and a blue tooth apple mouse, all i have, should be the same with your ibook. One thing you might want to do is maximize your ram.. put as much in there as the machine can handle. Other than that, you’re good.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Sep 24, 2005, 04:24 AM

r a m

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

cheery7upper  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 24, 2005, 08:22 AM

I got myself 1GB of ram and an 80GB hd
Originally Posted by Randman
r a m

cheery7upper  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 24, 2005, 08:23 AM

I mean more along the lines of like, a case, docking station, extra battery, speakers... do I need these things?

budster101
Baninated
Location: Illinois might be cold and flat, but at least it's ugly.
Sep 24, 2005, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by cheery7upper
I just purchase a new 14in ibook w/ superdrive and I bought a mighty mouse along with it, what other things do I need so that my ibook can be the most productive ??

"be the most productive".

Tell us how you are going to be using the iBook? It would help before giving any advice.

Some things you can purchase to make your life easier with the computer.

1. A carry case. Something that will protect it well, but also hold other items that you will need access to frequently.
2. Broadband, if you don't already own it.
3. Software (TBD, after you fill us in on more details.)

---

You've already made a major purchase and will be more productive with just the computer, if this is your first Mac.

If you are near an Apple Store, go in for the free classes, or buy Apple Pro-Care if your schedule does not make it convenient to go to them. Need more info from you first really.

macmike42
Senior User
Sep 24, 2005, 10:59 AM

I have to highly recommend Apple's s-video/composite scan converter for connecting to a TV. With that, a VGA->DVI adaptor, and the included VGA connector, you can easily hook up your iBook to any display. Also, Google for Screen Spanning Doctor so you aren't stuck with mirroring.
"Think Different. Like The Rest Of Us."

iBook G4/1.2GHz | 1.25GB | 60GB | Mac OS X 10.4.2
Athlon XP 2500+/1.83GHz | 1GB PC3200 | 120GB | Windows XP

cheery7upper  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 25, 2005, 02:12 AM

Originally Posted by macmike42
I have to highly recommend Apple's s-video/composite scan converter for connecting to a TV. With that, a VGA->DVI adaptor, and the included VGA connector, you can easily hook up your iBook to any display. Also, Google for Screen Spanning Doctor so you aren't stuck with mirroring.
Ok, I'll look in to that - thanks

p.s. what is mirroring (I feel so naive)

budster101
Baninated
Sep 25, 2005, 02:15 AM

Mirroring is something you do with two monitors so they show the same thing. It's used for clamshelling a notebook for instance. Spanning is when you use both monitors to span across both screens as one.

cheery7upper  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 25, 2005, 02:32 AM

Originally Posted by budster101
"be the most productive".

Tell us how you are going to be using the iBook? It would help before giving any advice.

Some things you can purchase to make your life easier with the computer.

1. A carry case. Something that will protect it well, but also hold other items that you will need access to frequently.
2. Broadband, if you don't already own it.
3. Software (TBD, after you fill us in on more details.)

---

You've already made a major purchase and will be more productive with just the computer, if this is your first Mac.

If you are near an Apple Store, go in for the free classes, or buy Apple Pro-Care if your schedule does not make it convenient to go to them. Need more info from you first really.

I plan on using my ibook for writing papers, doing presentations, taking notes in class, doing research and editing pictures * I'm crossing my fingres that my sony cybershot didn't get stolen from my car because it is missing * watching movies and other normal stuff like that...

Plus the house that I am currently living in has wireless internet

thanks for your help!

samk64
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 25, 2005, 02:43 AM

Originally Posted by macmike42
I checked apple.com and i found the "Apple Video Adapter". Is this is the adapter you are talking about? I also wanted to know if you play movies, will it show up on the tv also? I just want to check because my friend hooked up his compaq to the tv and the movie part of the screen did not show up. It would be nice to play movies from the ibook and display it on the tv... thanks!

brettcamp
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 25, 2005, 03:30 AM

an external display would be nice; if not, certainly an external keyboard (I recommend Matias) to go with you new mouse, and then an iCurve or other laptop stand to prevent ergnomic injury.
( Last edited by brettcamp; Sep 25, 2005 at 03:32 AM. Reason: typo)

Pao|o
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 25, 2005, 04:29 PM

I second the 1GB DDR333 SODIMM as your next purchase. An iSkin is also a must.

cheery7upper  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 26, 2005, 06:02 PM

Question...do I need an airport base or whatever when I have wireless internet in my home?

Flip500
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 26, 2005, 06:32 PM

If you already can get wireless internet in your home then no... thats only to make your internet wireless, and someone has oviously already done that for you.

I third the 1GB DDR333 SODIMM

An iSkin is the best way to protect your keys, I love mine, but I also love my exernal key board as well. (an old macally iKey I got for free, score!)

cheery7upper  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 26, 2005, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by Flip500
If you already can get wireless internet in your home then no... thats only to make your internet wireless, and someone has oviously already done that for you.

I third the 1GB DDR333 SODIMM

An iSkin is the best way to protect your keys, I love mine, but I also love my exernal key board as well. (an old macally iKey I got for free, score!)

Installed on my new ibook are
1GB DDR333
80GB HD
8X superdrive
iwork 05'

do you have to use a mac keyboard with a mac?

Flip500
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 26, 2005, 06:56 PM

No, but you have to make sure it connects through USB, or firewire... but that would be unusual. And to protect the trackpad i cut out some clear packing tape and shaped it to the track pad and sandpapered it down to make for easy finger sliding, and i cut out a peice for the click on the actually computer (next to the trackpad) you can hardly tell they're there, and if they get dirty you peel them off and make new ones... just a little thing I like can go a long way...

cheery7upper  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 28, 2005, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by Flip500
and to protect the trackpad i cut out some clear packing tape and shaped it to the track pad and sandpapered it down to make for easy finger sliding, and i cut out a peice for the click on the actually computer (next to the trackpad) you can hardly tell they're there, and if they get dirty you peel them off and make new ones... just a little thing I like can go a long way...

that's a great idea, thanks for all your help :-) I am just itching to get my fingers on my ibook! It is supposed to arrive Friday morning

budster101
Baninated
Sep 28, 2005, 05:17 PM

Applecare.

macmike42
Senior User
Sep 30, 2005, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by samk64
I checked apple.com and i found the "Apple Video Adapter". Is this is the adapter you are talking about? I also wanted to know if you play movies, will it show up on the tv also? I just want to check because my friend hooked up his compaq to the tv and the movie part of the screen did not show up. It would be nice to play movies from the ibook and display it on the tv... thanks!
Yes, the Apple Video Adapter is what you want. I have had no problems playing movies on my TV in either mirroring mode or extended desktop mode. Programs I have used are Apple's DVD Player, VLC, and QuickTime Player.
"Think Different. Like The Rest Of Us."

iBook G4/1.2GHz | 1.25GB | 60GB | Mac OS X 10.4.2
Athlon XP 2500+/1.83GHz | 1GB PC3200 | 120GB | Windows XP

samk64
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 1, 2005, 12:50 AM

ah, cool. thanks macmike.

Forum Links
Forum Rules