Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Remember the funny pages?

Remember the funny pages?
Doc HM
Professional Poster
Jun 23, 2012, 03:48 AM

When cartoons were delivered in strip form via the newspaper. Back in the day, a cartoonist had to be good. Proper good to get syndicated. Now anyone who can hold a pencil can post their strip online.

Actually, it seems that it's the opposite, there's great comics online that a traditional newspaper wouldn't have touched with a barge pole, and niche comics abound. But I do miss the days when giants strode across the comics landscape.

Remember when Garfield was huuuge (and even occasionally funny). what about Peanuts, Calvin and Hobbes. Strips written and illustrated by actual genius's.

Some of this stuff has aged poorly. I remember when Calvin and Hobbes made me laugh out loud, now it just seems overly twee but there's some lovely stuff, heres one you may not know or remember:

Flook (comic strip) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

andi*pandi
Jun 23, 2012, 08:02 AM

We still get a Sunday paper, in part because there is a comics section. However, it is smaller page-wise, and the comics are printed much smaller than they used to be. The new Globe website is great but they haven't managed to recreate the comics page.

I enjoy Rhymes with Orange, Foxtrot, Adam... for a start. There are some I skip over or read out of OCD-ness only (Family circus, Curtis).

abbaZaba
Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2012, 03:56 PM

Calvin and Hobbes is great. I used to read the funnies every sunday. now I get webcomics right in the newsreader, mostly the type of jokes that would never get printed in a paper.

Achewood is a pretty amazing webcomic if you haven't heard of it yet

jmiddel
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 23, 2012, 05:02 PM

Before going to sleep I read a few pages in my Calvin and Hobbes library, it's great to turn out the light with a grin Thankfully the local paper, which I still get because I like to know what's going on in my town, has a whole page of comics, plus Funky Winkerbean and 9 Chickweed Lane in other sections. Baby Blues, Luann, Foxtrot, Retail...., life would be the same without them, oh and Jeremy from Zits, even Dennis can still amuse. If I'm traveling and don't get to see all these funny folks I miss them, they feel like part of my tribe.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jun 25, 2012, 09:33 AM

I am currently liking Cyanide & Happiness and Text From Dog (not a cartoon strip but it makes me laugh anyway)

Explosm.net - Home of Cyanide & Happiness

http://textfromdog.tumblr.com/

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Doc HM  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 25, 2012, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by abbaZaba View Post
Achewood is a pretty amazing webcomic if you haven't heard of it yet
Typical web comic. Fairly amusing but horrific art and typography. Absolutely no idea how to pace and tell a story visually. This is why I miss the funny pages.
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Jun 25, 2012, 01:48 PM

Geniuses.

Forum Links
Forum Rules