Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > How to disable hibernation?

How to disable hibernation?
chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 28, 2014, 08:46 AM

My 2012 13" MBP goes into hibernation mode every night, even with the power supply connected & the battery at 100%. Takes it forever to wake up - like 3-5 minutes. I know this is an "advanced power-saving mode" but I'd rather burn a tad more electicity and have my computer be responsive when I crack the lid. I keep it tethered to the AC power brick most of the time.

is "sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0" really all I need to do the trick? Not finding much authoritative on teh goggles -- this was just from a comment in an apple discussion forum thread. Thought I'd double-check here.

I'm also guessing after this, if it's correct, it'd be okay to delete the 5 gb file at /private/var/vm/sleepimage?

Latest os -- 10.9.3.

Also, I'm going to take a wild guess that "sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 1" will turn it back on if I change my mind?

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 28, 2014, 09:36 AM

You can use Chameleon SSD Optimizer to change sleep modes without futzing with the Terminal.

The modes are explained in there, too.

Chameleon SSD Optimizer
(Free as in beer)

chris v  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 28, 2014, 09:56 AM

Very handy utility. Now I need an SSD to go with it! Thanks!

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

chris v  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 28, 2014, 09:57 AM

Between the sleep image & time machine local snapshots, I just regained almost 15 gigabytes of HD space.

chris v  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 5, 2014, 10:00 AM

Unfortunately, Chameleon SSD Optimizer keeps losing its preferences. I'll turn it on one day, then the next, the MBP is hibernating again & when I open Chameleon, it's switched back off. It might have been a change in 10.9.4.

Forum Links
Forum Rules