Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Is there any way to teach someone common sense?

Is there any way to teach someone common sense?
SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 10, 2007, 01:58 PM

I generally have a low tolerance for people who don't have what I would call "life skills." I have a housemate who is one of those people who just doesn't have any common sense. That's fine, I can get past that, but occasionally his dimwittedness impacts me. I realize it is mostly pretty trivial, but I wish there was some way to "fix" it without being a nag. I don't want to be that guy.

For example: after he takes a shower, he closes the bathroom door when he leaves, trapping all of the steam inside. This is generally unpleasant for the person who next enters the bathroom, and it encourages mold and mildew growth.

Another example: his diet generally consists of either pasta and meat sauce, or pre-cooked, packaged kielbasa sausage on rolls. After he boils a big pot of pasta, he will take the 3 gallon pot, stick it in the sink, and fill it to the rim with tap water, I guess to "soak." Despite that fact that all he did with it was boil some starch. He does the same when he boils a kielbasa, which, as I jokingly said to him once, "you know those are pre-cooked, right," even though he boils them for like 15 minutes.

Ah, I wish I could afford to live alone.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 10, 2007, 11:35 PM

at least he showers.

Super Mario
Jun 10, 2007, 11:38 PM

Poison his food with stuff that makes him sh*t a lot. He'll learn a lot of common sense on the toilet
( Last edited by Super Mario; Jan 10, 2018 at 03:14 PM. )

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 11, 2007, 01:46 AM

There is a Common Sense Training Adult for the Nintendo DS, but only japanese market though…
DS common-sense trainer to clue in clueless - DS News at GameSpot

for those fluent in japanese… official wevbiste
�ďC ���{�펯�͌��苦�� ���܂���l�ɂ͕����Ȃ� ��l�̏펯�̓g���[�j���O�c�r

King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
Jun 11, 2007, 02:12 AM

Beat him when he does something stupid.

I personally like following the low common sense person with a cattle prod.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jun 11, 2007, 02:31 AM

My fiancé always touches glass, windows and mirrors with her fingers. She'll close the car door with her hand on the window, open and close our mirror-doored wardrobes with her fingers leaving grease marks everywhere.

It just infuriates me that she never seems to have learnt this common sense thing. It's like always putting your seat-belt on, or washing your hands after you've been to the toilet. You shouldn't have to think about these things.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jun 11, 2007, 02:33 AM

Hey, now rumor is jumping around!

Was I not informed of bizzaro day?

This post made at 5:34
( Last edited by sek929; Jun 11, 2007 at 04:27 PM. )

Kevin
Baninated
Jun 11, 2007, 07:13 AM

Once you stop listening to your own "common sense" it stops "talking to you"

That and I bet somewhere out there Spacemonkey's roomy is writing a thread about him and something inane he does.

We all have our weird quirks.

I sleep with a pillow between my knees.

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Jun 11, 2007, 07:55 AM

I agree with Kevin, there are quirks and there is common sense.

For instance, most people I know believe its common courtesy to keep the bathroom closed even after showers.

One man's common sense is another's custom. As for the seatbelt issue, I think that's less common sense and more laziness or not wanting too.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Jun 11, 2007, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - - View Post
My fiancé always touches glass, windows and mirrors with her fingers. She'll close the car door with her hand on the window, open and close our mirror-doored wardrobes with her fingers leaving grease marks everywhere.
Sounds Italian.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 11, 2007, 08:58 AM

Are you an only child?

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Jun 11, 2007, 10:37 AM

You're not asking about common sense - you're asking about, for lack of a better word, customs. He's different than you. Quit being so judgmental and intolerant. Ever think of offering up a simple "hey, mind leaving the door open after your shower so it's not so steamy in there? i don't like sweating while crapping"?

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jun 11, 2007, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
Are you an only child?
^ What I was thinking. I would say being able to deal with another person's quirks is a very important life skill.

Also, pasta can get quite sticky and annoying to remove if you don't completely remove all of it immediately or soak it in water.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 11, 2007, 11:10 AM

You might think about a vent fan in your bathroom.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus

Originally Posted by erik
I do the same, often. For me, it’s more of a general hesitation towards touching door handles and such things. Not because I think they’re dirty or anything like that; rather, it comes from living in Beijing where the humidity is so low that if you happen to be wearing rubber shoes, everything metallic that you touch will electrocute you a little, and I hate that. So I got used to using my jacket sleeves to open and close doors, pushing on non-conductive (glass, wood) surfaces, rather than touching the metallic handles, etc. Still sticks, even though I’m back where the risks of ‘electrocuettes’ are a lot smaller, now.

Originally Posted by Kevin
We all have our weird quirks.

I sleep with a pillow between my knees.
I twist and turn too much when I sleep to be able to do that, but since I usually sleep on my side, I tend to stuff the blanket in between my knees as well. That’s just common sense to me: if I don’t, I wake up with chafed, red knees. Uncomfortable as well.

Originally Posted by Chuckit
Also, pasta can get quite sticky and annoying to remove if you don't completely remove all of it immediately or soak it in water.
It’s not usually necessary to fill it up, though: rinsing off the foam that forms on the surface of the water when it’s boiling and soaking the bottom couple of centimetres is normally enough.

I think I generally have more of these ‘customs’ than most people, and it always annoys me when people do things differently (though I usually don’t say anything). For example, since we’re on the topic of showering, it annoys me to no end that my boyfriend never wipes the floor properly (there’s no separator in our bathroom, so when you shower, the entire bathroom floor gets soaked) after showering, or that he never puts shower gels, shampoos, razors, etc., back in their proper place, but leaves them standing on the sink. Or that, rather than rinsing tableware and pans quickly and putting them aside for proper washing later on, he’ll simply pile everything up in the sink without rinsing it, so that not only is the sink unusable, it also begins to stink really quickly.

(Yes, I’m an only child. Yes, I’ve had my own bathroom that only I used since I was 13. Yes, kitchen service has been my job since I was about 9. Yes, I’m anal-retentive about these things.)

mindwaves

Those are not really common sense things. A good example of someone lacking common sense is my friend. She told me that she wanted to wash her parent's car. She was maybe 20 at the time. She washed it and everything and wanted to dry it so she used paper napkins to do so. She was wondering why it took so many napkins to dry the car. Now, that is lack of common sense.

As for the bathroom issue, I do that also because of privacy reasons. You can usually prop the window open in there or turn on the air vent thing after you come out.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Jun 11, 2007, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by Oisín View Post
(Yes, I’m an only child. Yes, I’ve had my own bathroom that only I used since I was 13. Yes, kitchen service has been my job since I was about 9. Yes, I’m anal-retentive about these things.)
It's ok, I accept you for who you are.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 11, 2007, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by mindwaves
Those are not really common sense things. A good example of someone lacking common sense is my friend. She told me that she wanted to wash her parent's car. She was maybe 20 at the time. She washed it and everything and wanted to dry it so she used paper napkins to do so. She was wondering why it took so many napkins to dry the car. Now, that is lack of common sense.
No, that’s not lacking common sense, that’s just plain stupidity.

As for the bathroom issue, I do that also because of privacy reasons. You can usually prop the window open in there or turn on the air vent thing after you come out.
What privacy reasons? Once you’re done showering and you’re out of the bathroom, there’s nothing ‘private’ to lock in, is there? I mean, yeah, if you have guests over or something, but not otherwise.

Originally Posted by Dakar-fake-3-that’s-really-a-soft-g
It's ok, I accept you for who you are.
You’d better, if you know what’s good for you!

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 11, 2007, 11:26 AM

Isn't 'common sense' an idea that we resort to when we are unable to make a logical case for something, but think others should agree with us anyway?

SpaceMonkey  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 11, 2007, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
Are you an only child?
Nope. And I've successfully lived in group house settings for the last 5 years or so.

SpaceMonkey  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 11, 2007, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by mindwaves View Post
There are no privacy reasons. I'm talking about after he leaves the bathroom. Also, this bathroom is windowless, and there is no fan vent.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Jun 11, 2007, 12:46 PM

Dakar-fake-3-that’s-really-a-soft-g
No need to be bitter or elitist.

Edit: That's why I exist.

mindwaves
Jun 11, 2007, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by SpaceMonkey View Post
There are no privacy reasons. I'm talking about after he leaves the bathroom. Also, this bathroom is windowless, and there is no fan vent.
Oh, after he leaves the bathroom. Yeah, then by all means, leave the door open!

SpaceMonkey  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 11, 2007, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by peeb View Post
Isn't 'common sense' an idea that we resort to when we are unable to make a logical case for something, but think others should agree with us anyway?
My logic:
1. Bathroom issue - as I said, encourages mold and mildew growth, unpleasant for anyone going into the bathroom later (there are no windows or fan vent)
2. "Soaking" a pasta pot - resource waste, and a 3 gallon pot filled with water, sitting in the sink, makes it difficult for anyone else to use the sink.

SpaceMonkey  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 11, 2007, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by wallinbl View Post
You're not asking about common sense - you're asking about, for lack of a better word, customs. He's different than you. Quit being so judgmental and intolerant. Ever think of offering up a simple "hey, mind leaving the door open after your shower so it's not so steamy in there? i don't like sweating while crapping"?
But then where will I get my sense of moral superiority?

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 11, 2007, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by Dakarʒ View Post
No need to be bitter or elitist.

Edit: That's why I exist.
Was too lazy to copy-paste the name, figured it was much easier to just write it out m’self

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Jun 11, 2007, 12:59 PM

Ah, ok, I approve.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jun 11, 2007, 01:00 PM

Doof habitation rule #1: Never live with anyone you're not having the canoodlings with or isn't a result of your canoodlings.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jun 11, 2007, 01:02 PM

A good example of what Kev was saying is that I am kind of a messy roommate. I guess my bathroom etiquette would annoy more than one of you in here.

However, both my roommates wouldn't turn on the dehumidifier in the basement if their life depended on it. To me it's common sense to run a dehumidifier in a dank basement during humid summer months, but I also haven't the faintest clue about etiquette things I deem 'silly.'

It's all relative, I say just deal with it unless you are so anal that your head might explode if you don't get your way.

Kevin
Baninated
Jun 11, 2007, 01:20 PM

Me and Bekah both have our quirks. We've both learned to live with them. I've had a few roomates that I've always got along with. One saying I was the best roomate he had. (We used to have a blast...)

I can handle anyone that isn't a COMPLETE slob. Or someone that stinks of body odor all the time.

My ex roomate used to always bum cigs off me in the middle of the night. Someone he'd smoke them all. But I'd sometimes find a carton lying on my bed when I'd come home from work.

It all evened out.

He decided to quit smoking one day and went on the gum. So I felt guilty smoking around him and did the same. 5 years later I still haven't picked up a cig, and he is still smoking...

Kinda ironic. But I still thank him for indirectly encouraging me.

Tiresias
Jun 11, 2007, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
Doof habitation rule #1: Never live with anyone you're not having the canoodlings with or isn't a result of your canoodlings.
See, Doofy? This post does not contain a direct a booby reference.

I knew you could do it.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 11, 2007, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by sek
It's all relative, I say just deal with it unless you are so anal that your head might explode if you don't get your way.
If you’re that anal, you need to either take a laxative or let your head explode.

Kevin
Baninated
Jun 11, 2007, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by Tiresias View Post
See, Doofy? This post does not contain a direct a booby reference.

I knew you could do it.
Your mother never breast fed you.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jun 11, 2007, 02:03 PM

I live with a borderline OCD kid, my bud Aaron.

We've lived together in various houses/apartments for the last 3 years and we never get at eachother's throats even though our differences are huge.

Compromise is the cornerstone of diplomacy and diplomacy is the cornerstone of love, sweeeeet love - Dr Henry Killinger

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Jun 11, 2007, 02:07 PM

Without the monotone it kinda sucks.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jun 11, 2007, 04:19 PM

That showed you...

Rumor
Jun 11, 2007, 04:20 PM

I twist and turn too much when I sleep to be able to do that, but since I usually sleep on my side, I tend to stuff the blanket in between my knees as well. That’s just common sense to me: if I don’t, I wake up with chafed, red knees. Uncomfortable as well.
We're supposed to believe that is from sleeping?
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jun 11, 2007, 04:21 PM

Whoa, my post jumped 4 spots up, I'm jesus!!

Edit: Mad weirdness yo, this post was totally made at 5:30

Rumor
Jun 11, 2007, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by Dakarʒ View Post
Let's see you... shut up.
Not your wittiest retort.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jun 11, 2007, 04:41 PM

Let's see you type it better.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Jun 11, 2007, 04:45 PM

Let's see you... shut up.

Forum Links
Forum Rules