Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Who the hell invented Bring Your Child to Work Day?

Who the hell invented Bring Your Child to Work Day?
Atheist
Mac Elite
Apr 23, 2009, 12:57 PM

Some guy brought his young daughter into the office and while he was in a meeting, the girl wandered off. He comes out of the meeting, can't find her, totally freaks out and starts running around screaming her name. Then the whole office is running around trying to find the kid. He's still screaming. When he finds her he continues his screaming (he's very emotional) and now the daughter is screaming and crying.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 23, 2009, 12:58 PM

Who the hell invented kids, too.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Apr 23, 2009, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar V View Post
Who the hell invented kids, too.
The Vagina.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 23, 2009, 01:06 PM

**** The Vagina!

lyanma
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 23, 2009, 01:07 PM

funny.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 23, 2009, 01:07 PM

Yeah, we've got about 10 kids in here today. Not much work is getting done. Half of me thinks it's fun and the other half is wondering why the hell we are going this. They even have a full day's worth of activities planned out... but the funny thing is that the kids really don't seem interested.

I somehow got roped into supervising Wii time. I get to try and control 10 kids with two Wiis and 6 controllers. It's not going to be pretty.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 23, 2009, 01:08 PM

Is this some type of official take your kid to work day?
(The past two years I've purposely taken off when they've had one here at work)

Dork.
Professional Poster
Apr 23, 2009, 01:19 PM

It used to be "Take your daughters to work day", meant specifically to expose young women to different careers at an early age, and perhaps inspire them to choose a career path they may not have thought about. Then people wondered why the girls got a special day off from school, and for the past few years boys have been invited, too.

At first, it was constructed literally like a "shadowing" sort of experience: the daughter followed her parent around for a while and got to see what the workday was actually like. Boring for most kids, but for certain kids it could be very engaging and motivating. But as more kids got involved I think ti got dumbed down a bit. When I worked in a big company a few years ago it was planned out much more formally and turned into a corporate "day camp" where employees who didn't have any other work to do prepared structured activities for the kids to do. Which, IMHO, is almost useless for everyone involved.

I work in a smaller company now, and we're too busy for this stuff. When my daughters are older I'd love to have them watch me work, although I think they'd be bored stiff.

lexapro
Baninated
Apr 23, 2009, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
The Vagina.
With help from our friends at The Penis, Inc.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Apr 23, 2009, 01:28 PM

I hear sales are getting flaccid.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 23, 2009, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
I hear sales are getting flaccid.
They're certainly getting hard to come by.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 23, 2009, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
I somehow got roped into supervising Wii time. I get to try and control 10 kids with two Wiis and 6 controllers. It's not going to be pretty.
This whole Wii phenomenon is pretty funny to me. Nintendo really managed to snooker adults into finding video games more acceptable. Do you think 5 years ago we would have had PS2 or Gamecube time at bring your kid to work day? Hell no. That would have been crazy. But the Wii? That's good family fun for everyone! Nothing like other video game consoles. Nope. I mean, you have to move your hands around to play it, rather then just your thumbs. That's totally different. Moving your thumbs around is a waste of time and is hurting our kids but waving your arms around to do the same things your thumbs did in the past... that's wholesome family fun!

Not trying to kill the thread, just think it's funny.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Apr 23, 2009, 01:35 PM

I think it used to have to do with kids shadowing their parents, especially if you lived in a rural area where the kids weren't expected to go to college. Parents would take their kids to work to get work experience so they could get a job out of high school. Sometimes kids would go to a trade school first.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 23, 2009, 04:10 PM

It is NOT the fault of "bring your child to work day" - and I'm glad it's graduated from "bring your daughter to work day", which was clearly anti-boy. Yes I'm serious. Anyway, the problem with your coworker, was that he's a moron. It takes a moron to bring his small child to a very strange place she's never been to, and to just plain leave her without supervision. That's just stupid, and it's MEAN to the child.

When this day is run properly, everyone is involved, from the boss to the housekeepers. They take time to explain to the children what people in the company do, how it's important, and why it's cool to work there. Sort of a recruiting/"your parent is cool" event. NOT FREE BABYSITTING. What your coworker did borders on child abuse. You can tell him I said so too.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 23, 2009, 04:11 PM

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Apr 23, 2009, 04:17 PM

Blame the dolt, not the day.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."