Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Best brand of tools out there?

Best brand of tools out there? (Page 2)
downinflames68
Baninated
Oct 7, 2009, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by Rev-O View Post
I completely agree with you about which brand to buy depends on which tool you are buying. I have a PC sawzall that is an absolute monster. Much more powerful than the Milwaukee I use at work. But the PC sawzall is a monster. The Godzilla of sawzalls. Best used to cut big thick stuff because it will just destroy everything else. Works for what I need it for, but not for the timid
Um, to be fair you were probably comparing a "BIG" PC recip saw to a regular Sawzall. Do you really think Milwaukee would let PC build a "better" Sawzall, considering they invented the damn thing? Next time compare it to a super sawzall with orbital cutting motions. And again, Milwaukee tests the living **** out of their tools. I'd bet almost anything I own on a Milwaukee product lasting longer than almost anything else. They don't have the margins of other tools, because they spend so much on gearcases, gears, motors, bearings, etc.

But hey don't take my word for it, here's an independent test where the Milwaukee Sawzall assrapes the competition:

Milwaukee Sawzall Wins the Showdown Every Time - CopTool - Power Tool News Blog

sek929
Posting Junkie
Oct 7, 2009, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by downinflames68 View Post
Um, to be fair you were probably comparing a "BIG" PC recip saw to a regular Sawzall. Do you really think Milwaukee would let PC build a "better" Sawzall, considering they invented the damn thing? Next time compare it to a super sawzall with orbital cutting motions. And again, Milwaukee tests the living **** out of their tools. I'd bet almost anything I own on a Milwaukee product lasting longer than almost anything else. They don't have the margins of other tools, because they spend so much on gearcases, gears, motors, bearings, etc.
100% correct. I've used the PC Tiger saw, Ryobis, DeWalts, and so on and so on. Anyone who needs to use sawzalls on a frequent basis owns a Milwaukee Super Sawzall. Any other saw is going to vibrate you into oblivion.

One old-timer that used to work with us owned an all-metal (!) original sawzall from the 50s. Smooth as silk, only I wouldn't want to accidentally cut any wires with it.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Oct 7, 2009, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by Rev-O View Post
Reason why I picked up the Makita 10" pulling miter saw over the 12" DeWalt. The DeWalt just muscles through everything and doesn't cut as cleanly.
To be fair a clean cut depends more on your blade. We bought our DeWalt based upon a precision cut shootout in some carpentry magazine my father has been getting forever. Basically they make an octagon out of eight angled pieces of wood and measure the deviation of the last piece. The DeWalt won with flying colors and has been our tool for production finish and/or cabinetry work for a while. Very expensive at the time of purchase (over 600 dollars I think) but one hell of a saw.

I've actually also used the Makita 10" compound slider and it was solid and made perfect cuts. Both saws have excellent handle locations and perfect ergonomics in general, which is what really sets one tool apart from another.

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 8, 2009, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
100% correct. I've used the PC Tiger saw, Ryobis, DeWalts, and so on and so on. Anyone who needs to use sawzalls on a frequent basis owns a Milwaukee Super Sawzall. Any other saw is going to vibrate you into oblivion.

One old-timer that used to work with us owned an all-metal (!) original sawzall from the 50s. Smooth as silk, only I wouldn't want to accidentally cut any wires with it.
My dad has the small version of that one (I think it uses 6" blades), and it is AWESOME.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Oct 8, 2009, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by downinflames68 View Post

But hey don't take my word for it, here's an independent test where the Milwaukee Sawzall assrapes the competition:

Milwaukee Sawzall Wins the Showdown Every Time - CopTool - Power Tool News Blog
Y'know, you're probably correct. My PC sawzall is a beastly mofo, whereas the Milwaukee I use at work is a step down in size and beastlyness.
Milwaukee make a hell of a hand held bandsaw, that's for sure.

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
To be fair a clean cut depends more on your blade. We bought our DeWalt based upon a precision cut shootout in some carpentry magazine my father has been getting forever. Basically they make an octagon out of eight angled pieces of wood and measure the deviation of the last piece. The DeWalt won with flying colors and has been our tool for production finish and/or cabinetry work for a while. Very expensive at the time of purchase (over 600 dollars I think) but one hell of a saw.

I've actually also used the Makita 10" compound slider and it was solid and made perfect cuts. Both saws have excellent handle locations and perfect ergonomics in general, which is what really sets one tool apart from another.
Yah, I understand it has 90% to do with blade. I checked out the 12" DeWalt and compared it to the 10" Makita. Head to head I found the Makita a better saw. Only downside is a 10" blade vs a 12" blade (and the blade can be a pita to change). The cost of the two was about the same (close to $600). Of course tools are like everything else, and everyone has their preferences, so ymmv.
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

skipjack
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 9, 2009, 01:18 AM

I like Bosch power tools, but my latest router is a Milwaukee. Too bad they stopped making the router motor with a remote power switch/speed control. I hear that the weak point for Milwaukee routers is their power switches.

Klein tools are nice. I like their cross-head and square drive screwdrivers. I've only seen a limited number of square drive screwdriver sizes in the Craftsman brand.

Check out Woodpeckers ( Woodpeck.com for Router Tables, Router Lifts, Router Bits, Precision Squares, Fine Woodworking Tools and all Incra Products. ) for precision woodworking tools. I've bought some Incra (Incremental Tools) jigs and measuring tools in the past, but Woodpecker implementations are much sturdier.

Forum Links
Forum Rules