Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > American Express points

American Express points
tightsocks
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 15, 2011, 05:03 PM

Is there a way to have AMEX Rewards points applied to an arbitrary purchase?

I don't really understand why we need to use their special shopamex.com portal to use the points/

Shouldn't we be able to make a regular purchase with the card at any retailer and then call ad have our points applied to the purchase??

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 15, 2011, 05:10 PM

The (am ex) Simply Cash card would probably suit you best, it just applies cash to your balance, every month with no minimum. "Points" are never as easy as you describe here. My experience with am ex points was better than most, in that I could pay a partial airfare ticket using all my points, and pay the remainder of the ticket in cash. They could have forced me to wait until I had enough points for the whole purchase, ensuring that I would always have some remainder of points going to waste. This was with Membership Rewards points; I don't know about their other systems like OPEN.

You can also spend membership rewards points at Amazon, which is very convenient but a lower redemption value at 0.7ยข/pt.

bstone
Mac Elite
Jun 16, 2011, 06:50 AM

What's the point?
Emergency Medicine & Urgent Care.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 16, 2011, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Skeleton View Post
The (am ex) Simply Cash card would probably suit you best, it just applies cash to your balance, every month with no minimum.
Huh? Simply Cash ? They don't list that on their website.
Do you mean the Blue Cash cards ?

The Blue Cash has just stopped automatically applying the cash to your account. It used to be done once a year, now you accumulate $$$, which you can at any time use to shop or apply as a credit to your card.

Amex Cash Blue is a great card. Unfortunately, they recently changed the reward % for new cards. My card still has 5% cash back on gas, groceries and pharmacy purchases.

-t

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 16, 2011, 05:56 PM

This:

Cash Back Card - American Express OPEN

I didn't realize it was biz-only, but it's a distinction without a difference (just call yourself a sole-prop small business)

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 17, 2011, 01:35 AM

OIC

For consumers, the new Cash Blue card is still better.

6% on supermarket purchases, 3% on gas and dept. stores, 1% on everything.

I still think the old Cash Blue was better, but that's why they got rid of it for new members.

-t

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 17, 2011, 01:10 PM

Except for the specific request from the OP for redemption convenience. There are lots of better options for higher % back, but I was responding to the OP's gripe.

The annual fee is onerous too, though for 6% I would consider it. SimplyCash has no annual fee btw.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 17, 2011, 04:42 PM

Except for the specific request from the OP for redemption convenience. There are lots of better options for higher % back, but I was responding to the OP's gripe.

The annual fee is onerous too, though for 6% I would consider it. SimplyCash has no annual fee btw.
Uhm, you do realize that the 6% is only for office supplies and communications bills ?

And if you know something that gives higher cash back than the free Blue Cash, please do tell. I have been comparing and looking for years, and so far, the Cash Blue beats it all.

-t

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 17, 2011, 10:40 PM

Yeah, I get it, but believe it or not, the OP didn't ask how to get more cash back, he asked about easier redemption.

Edit: higher than 3% on groceries? Discover More, Chase Freedom and Citi Dividend all have rotating 5%, and the quarterly category is frequently grocery. I usually buy gift cards to my usual grocery store during the grocery period, then spend them during the non-grocery period. I also do this with sign-up promos that require a certain spending, so since these generally return more than 5%, sometimes I let the 5% go to waste. This kind of game is less convenient than rotating categories, which in turn is less convenient than 3% on groceries, which in turn is less convenient than 2% on everything (like schwab or fidelity), which in turn is less convenient than automatic redemption like with Simply Cash. It's all a big trade-off of convenience vs reward.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 19, 2011, 04:30 AM

good thing I have the old Cash Blue with 5% on groceries, gas and drugstore purchases.

I don't mind having to go to the Amex site every few months to do a few clicks and then have the rewards applied to my next bill.

-t

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 19, 2011, 10:38 AM

Isn't that one tiered at $6500 spending? I never really looked into it, since I don't even spend enough in a year to reach the 5% tier.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 19, 2011, 04:10 PM

Isn't that one tiered at $6500 spending? I never really looked into it, since I don't even spend enough in a year to reach the 5% tier.
Yes, you are right, you start with lower cash rewards % until you reach $6,500.

It's not a problem for me, since I always charge everything to my Amex, and then pay it off each month.

-t

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 19, 2011, 04:13 PM

It's good especially if you can run business expenses through it or something. Ironic that the business card (SimplyCash) is better for me because I don't have a business.

Madison
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 23, 2011, 07:57 PM

I use my Am-Ex rewards points when I shop at Amazon.com. I LOVE being able to complete a purchase with points from my card.

Forum Links
Forum Rules