Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iOS 5: Official Discussion Thread

iOS 5: Official Discussion Thread (Page 6)
freudling  (op)
Banned
Oct 20, 2011, 03:04 AM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
Yes, iPads are being bought by all humans across all age groups. But, in my work as a user experience designer working on mobile applications, the use scenarios I'm seeing in a family situation is that iPad's are generally shared. There are exceptions, but, generally, many of the families I've spoken to aren't inclined to buy a $500 device for each member of the family, with families being less inclined the younger their children are. Unfortunately, the details of my research are proprietary to my employer.

I'd love to know the source of your data, if you can share. However, if your data is only saying that iPads are being bought by individuals across all age groups, this doesn't take into consideration family clusters where cost can climb rapidly. There will always be exceptions, but the norm I'm seeing in families with children under 10 is that iPads are shared devices.
Just get your butt over to Google and search. There's lots of data for free. iPad is penetrating education (teens, University students), as well as families, older people, and enterprise. Seems to know no bounds...

Eug
Clinically Insane
Oct 20, 2011, 08:21 AM

OSXDaily.com: Sync iMessage Across All iOS Devices: iPhone, iPad, & iPod touch

Now that you’ve set up iMessage, if you use multiple iOS devices you’ll want to be sure to sync your conversations across them all. This is supposed to happen automatically as long as the iMessage account on each iOS device is set to the same Apple ID, but it doesn’t always do so.

If your iMessages aren’t syncing, there’s a quick fix to have them reliably sync across all your devices. You’ll probably want to verify this process on each iOS device you intend to sync the iMessages to.

Sync iMessages
Do this from the iOS device:

Tap on “Settings”
Select “Messages”
Scroll down and tap on “Receive At”

At the bottom of the iMessage account screen, tap on “Caller ID”

Tap on the Apple ID as your caller ID (yes, even on the iPhone)
Close out Settings and repeat on your other iOS hardware
Send a new iMessage and check your iOS devices, they should now all be synced

Why Don’t iMessages Sync Automatically Until I Do This?
They’re supposed to, and some do and some don’t. The sporadic or unreliable syncing behavior seems to be most problematic when using iMessage between an iPhone and another iOS device like an iPod touch or iPad, and presumably that is due to the Caller ID associating with a phone number rather than an Apple ID. While verifying this to be the case, I discovered that MacGasm came upon the same solution when syncing messages with an iPhone 4S, further implicating the iPhone’s phone number as the cause of the problem. I’ll bet a future iOS 5 update will fix this, but in the meantime it’s easy enough to do manually.

Comment #1:
I found that even after sync’ing the AppleID’s my messages weren’t in sync. Some Googling suggested that resetting the Network on my iPhone and iPad would get iMessage to sync up and, for me, that did work.

Settings > General > Reset

This will cause all your WiFi passwords to be cleared so be careful.

Comment #2:
I think this is actually a bug with iCloud and not iMessage, because once I got iCloud reconfigured it worked fine and I didn’t do the Apple ID check.

---

magasm.com: Enable iMessage syncing between iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad

I’m not complete sure why, and hopefully someone can elaborate in the comments, but the Caller ID for iMessage controls syncing your iMessages across multiple devices. I assume that it has to do with actually syncing across the web and the reliance on the Apple ID as a key identifier, but that’s a complete guess.

Here’s how you get the sync working:

Open the Settings App
Select Messages from the list
Click the Receive At section
Then click the Caller ID section
Click on the email address, make sure there’s a checkmark next to it.
Done.

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Oct 20, 2011, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by freudling View Post
Wow. First time using Calendar in OS X Lion. Maybe this existed in previous OS Xes. I went to add a quick event, and it said just type in naturally what you want to do.
Sounds cool. And no, Calendar does not do that in 10.6.8 and earlier.

-Allen

freudling  (op)
Banned
Oct 20, 2011, 03:36 PM

Are Reminders showing up? I mean, the day they're due, in your main notifications blind? Or what about the alert going off if you set an alert for a Reminder? Neither is happening for me. Maybe I'm doing it wrong?

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 20, 2011, 04:52 PM

Both iOS and Lion's address book sort contacts by phonetic names, when they exist, rather than first or last name as set in preferences. I think this is a bug.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Oct 20, 2011, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by chabig View Post
Both iOS and Lion's address book sort contacts by phonetic names, when they exist, rather than first or last name as set in preferences. I think this is a bug.
What do you mean exactly? I don't have this issue.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 20, 2011, 05:20 PM

Find a contact in your address book whose name can't quite be correctly pronounced by iPhone. Then add a field to that contact for phonetic first name or last name. In my case, I added a phonetic last name and spelled it out so it's pronounced correctly.

Now my address book preference is to sort contacts by last name. Instead, it's sorting by the phonetic last name. When I added a phonetic spelling, the contact moved.

It shouldn't be this way. If the preference is to sort by last name, then it should sort by last name.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Oct 20, 2011, 05:36 PM

Ah I see. I just tried that and the contact moved. Definitely a bug.

PS. I just noticed a bunch of duplicate addresses. The duplicates weren't there yesterday. This iCloud syncing seems to have some growing pains.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Oct 20, 2011, 08:40 PM

Just get your butt over to Google and search. There's lots of data for free. iPad is penetrating education (teens, University students), as well as families, older people, and enterprise. Seems to know no bounds...
Can you show me the research that you found particularly convincing which states that in families each family member has their own iPad as opposed to being shared?

I've seen my own first-hand research which strongly suggests to me that, in family households, iPads are generally shared. Unfortunately, I can't back that statement up as publicizing that data will violate my confidentiality agreements. However, if your data is public, I'd love to see it and am willing to be convinced otherwise if the data is convincing.

Telling me to "go search Google" suggests to me that you've seen nothing convincing that states that families are generally buying iPads for each member of the family.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 20, 2011, 10:43 PM

Or what about the alert going off if you set an alert for a Reminder? Neither is happening for me. Maybe I'm doing it wrong?
Definitely works for me.
Set a reminder on my iPhone with Siri, reminder alert poped up on my Mac hours later.

-t

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 26, 2011, 02:36 PM

Here's a nice little gem that just popped up: I can't connect to WPA2/WPA Enterprise networks.
I either receive a 169.x.x.x address or the indicator just spins and spins... There's an apparent issue with MD5 certificates.
Anyone else?

A quick Google revealed that I am an not alone, but the odd thing is that I've been using WPA2 Enterprise since day 1, now it suddenly doesn't work Tried rebooting - this is day 2 of the problem.

Wow, am I effin pissed off.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

Eug
Clinically Insane
Oct 30, 2011, 12:08 PM

Siri has now been hacked to fully work on the iPhone 4, and it runs at the same speed as on the 4S. It doesn't work properly on the iPod touch, but that's because of microphone differences.

Siri hacked to fully run on the iPhone 4 and iPod touch, iPhone 4S vs iPhone 4 Siri showdown video (interview) | 9to5Mac | Apple Intelligence

Mark: How long did porting take you, what was the “I got it” moment?

Steven: Basically, I already had everything I needed to make it work. I had spent a lot of time mapping out in my head exactly how Siri works on the iPhone. All I needed was access to a jailbroken iPhone 4S to put my hunch to the test. It literally took no longer than 10 minutes to put all the pieces in place and perform our first test on my iPhone 4, and it was an instant success.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Oct 30, 2011, 05:59 PM

Cool!

Thanks for the article Eug...

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Oct 30, 2011, 06:59 PM

It'll require a jailbreak to make it work ... sadly, Siri doesn't interest me enough to want to jailbreak.

gradient
Mac Elite
Oct 30, 2011, 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by osiris View Post
Here's a nice little gem that just popped up: I can't connect to WPA2/WPA Enterprise networks.
I either receive a 169.x.x.x address or the indicator just spins and spins... There's an apparent issue with MD5 certificates.
Anyone else?

A quick Google revealed that I am an not alone, but the odd thing is that I've been using WPA2 Enterprise since day 1, now it suddenly doesn't work Tried rebooting - this is day 2 of the problem.

Wow, am I effin pissed off.
Have you tried resetting your network settings? I kept having a problem logging my iPhone on to my Time Capsule's WPA2 connection, with the TC's logs listing bad handshakes "likely due to bad password from client". The password I was entering was correct so I decided to reset the iPhone's network settings and it solved the problem.

Edit: I should mention that my TC is using WPA2 Personal, not enterprise, so these might be unrelated problems but it's still worth a shot.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 31, 2011, 07:55 AM

Battery runtime on iPhone 4S with iOS5 is bad. Apple needs to fix it.

It seems to me that location-based reminders suck better life like crazy.

-t

Eug
Clinically Insane
Oct 31, 2011, 09:52 AM

I couldn't tether my laptop properly either until I reset my iPhone 4's network settings.

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Oct 31, 2011, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Battery runtime on iPhone 4S with iOS5 is bad. Apple needs to fix it. It seems to me that location-based reminders suck better life like crazy.
Yeah something is weird about my 4s battery behavior, but it is not simple. And I agree it probably has to do with push notifications somehow. I have observed that (sometimes at least) turning on Airport Mode stopped rapid battery draining when I was in a location with zero signal for a few days.

The other thing I observed was very slow charging, but that may have been related to low ambient temperature.

EDIT: I just saw this on 9to5Mac-
http://9to5mac.com/2011/10/31/how-to...e/#more-104170

-Allen

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 31, 2011, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
I couldn't tether my laptop properly either until I reset my iPhone 4's network settings.
What kind of settings get "reset" ?
I.e., what do you have to re-enter once I do the reset ?

-t

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 31, 2011, 03:50 PM

Thanks, I'll try that.

-t

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Oct 31, 2011, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by SierraDragon View Post
Yeah something is weird about my 4s battery behavior, but it is not simple. And I agree it probably has to do with push notifications somehow. I have observed that (sometimes at least) turning on Airport Mode stopped rapid battery draining when I was in a location with zero signal for a few days.

The other thing I observed was very slow charging, but that may have been related to low ambient temperature.

EDIT: I just saw this on 9to5Mac-
How to extend battery life of your iPhone 4S by disabling ‘Setting Time Zone’ | 9to5Mac | Apple Intelligence

-Allen
After enabling to show the Location status bar icon whenever a System Service accesses Location Services, I noticed that Traffic was using Location Services during my entire commute to work today.

gradient
Mac Elite
Oct 31, 2011, 10:42 PM

What kind of settings get "reset" ?
I.e., what do you have to re-enter once I do the reset ?

-t
There's obviously some under the hood settings that get rest to factory defaults as well, but the only things that impact your day to day are that you'll lose all of your saved wifi passwords and memories (probably VPN, too, but I don't use a VPN so wouldn't know) and all of the network/wifi settings get reverted to defaults but there are only a small handfull of them so changing them back to your liking only takes a few seconds.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Nov 1, 2011, 10:48 AM

^^^ Yep.

No matter what I did, I couldn't get tethering to work properly, and only the reset fixed it. Restoring my WiFi passwords etc. after the reset didn't take much time at all.

What I find really annoying though is I have no idea what resetting the network settings actually does under the hood. Cuz as far as I can tell, all my other settable network settings are the same as they were before.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Nov 1, 2011, 12:56 PM

Thanks, I'll try that.

-t
Let us know if it works. I noticed location services being used on my iPhone 4 for no reason and the time zone setting was the culprit. My battery life has improved since I turned it off, but it is definitely not what I was getting on iOS4.

I can no longer get a full day's usage with wifi on and that bugs me. Even with wifi off and only moderate usage I'm still down to 30% by mid evening when I used to be over 50% with more usage.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Nov 1, 2011, 01:00 PM

My initial hunch (after less than 24 hours) is that it did help quite a bit. But I agree with oyu, the 4S has worse battery life than he 4.

-t

gradient
Mac Elite
Nov 1, 2011, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
What I find really annoying though is I have no idea what resetting the network settings actually does under the hood. Cuz as far as I can tell, all my other settable network settings are the same as they were before.
Agreed. It's almost like the option only exists because they've found no way to avoid the networking back-end getting corrupted over time.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Nov 2, 2011, 09:02 AM

My initial hunch (after less than 24 hours) is that it did help quite a bit. But I agree with oyu, the 4S has worse battery life than he 4.

-t
I don't think this is a 4S v. 4 issue. I think iOS 5 is responsible for the terrible battery life. I noticed yesterday that my phone had been on standby for 15 hours and used for 14 hours. Highly unlikely. Even when I check right now my standby time is 2 hours 55 minutes and usage time is 2 hours 49 minutes. Something is seriously borked.

edit: I just quit every application running and left my phone untouched for 13 minutes. My usage time still increased from 2 hours and 55 minutes to 3 hours and 1 minute. Can anyone else try testing this?
( Last edited by SSharon; Nov 2, 2011 at 09:20 AM. Reason: added second test info)

gradient
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2011, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by SSharon View Post
I don't think this is a 4S v. 4 issue. I think iOS 5 is responsible for the terrible battery life. I noticed yesterday that my phone had been on standby for 15 hours and used for 14 hours. Highly unlikely. Even when I check right now my standby time is 2 hours 55 minutes and usage time is 2 hours 49 minutes. Something is seriously borked.

edit: I just quit every application running and left my phone untouched for 13 minutes. My usage time still increased from 2 hours and 55 minutes to 3 hours and 1 minute. Can anyone else try testing this?
I was going to try this but my usage and standby times are empty. What the heck?

SSharon
Professional Poster
Nov 2, 2011, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by gradient View Post
I was going to try this but my usage and standby times are empty. What the heck?
Mine isn't.

Standby: 11 hours 17 minutes
Usage: 10 hours 25 minutes

gradient
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2011, 07:26 PM

SSharon
Professional Poster
Nov 3, 2011, 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by gradient View Post
Can't come soon enough. This issue seems very widespread and something that should have been caught earlier. Kind of odd that my wife's 4S doesn't have these issues.

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Nov 3, 2011, 01:23 AM

Can't come soon enough. This issue seems very widespread and something that should have been caught earlier. Kind of odd that my wife's 4S doesn't have these issues.
Um, maybe it is not so widespread as you imply. Tiny iPhone issues get disproportionate press. I have the issue with my 4s and it has only presented twice, each time with a day of unusually fast discharge. No real inconvenience because my routine is to recharge every night.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Nov 3, 2011, 05:53 AM

I think you've contradicted your own point here.

Don't forget the complainers are louder than the happy people.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

SSharon
Professional Poster
Nov 3, 2011, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
I think you've contradicted your own point here.
Don't forget the complainers are louder than the happy people.
I haven't done any scientific investigation, but allow me to clarify.

iPhone 4S: worse battery life than the 4
iPhone 4: worse batter life with iOS 5 than iOS 4

So both phones have battery/performance issues, but not for the same reasons. This may not have been clear to me initially.

And I'll be complaining loudly until I can use my phone for a full day again

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Nov 3, 2011, 02:22 PM

My iPhone 4S is fine. Much better than the 3GS it's replaced.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 3, 2011, 08:29 PM

Yeah, my iP4S lasts about 75% as long as my iP4. But it still lasts long enough, so I don't care. Of course, that might be because I use Siri so much.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

gradient
Mac Elite
Nov 3, 2011, 10:05 PM

I would say that the battery life of my 4 is around 30% to 40% shorter since I upgraded to 5.0. There's definitely something wrong, even if it isn't affecting everyone.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Nov 4, 2011, 02:55 PM

So yesterday and today my battery life returned to its normal awesomeness. I restarted the phone and synced it, but made no other changes.

caleach
Forum Regular
Nov 7, 2011, 08:18 PM

I have an iPhone 4, have disabled the time zone settings and still get terrible battery life. I went from 100 % charged this morning down to 15% by 2 PM. So far there are absolutely no real advantages to the new operating system. I also can't get company email on my phone unless my laptop is on with Entourage running. This is a quirk that I can't fully understand. I'm running Lion on my laptop and have no problem with pulling email from this server. I know the new iOS requires a newer version of Exchange Server than our company is running but I can't tell them to upgrade their server software just so I can receive email on my phone.

This is ridiculous!!!!!

Steve

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Nov 9, 2011, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by caleach View Post
I went from 100 % charged this morning down to 15% by 2 PM.
So haul the phone in to Apple and ask "WTF?"

Forum Links
Forum Rules