Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPod Touch.... 16GB

iPod Touch.... 16GB (Page 6)
analogika
Posting Junkie
Sep 30, 2007, 03:55 PM

I suggest you copy and paste that post into a couple of random threads on other forums on this board as well.

It will make you look a little less like a spammer, for sure.

threestain
Mac Elite
Oct 9, 2007, 04:31 AM

iPod Touch is possibly the best iPod I've played with - fantastic stuff. Wroks perfectly with no problems. Just a shame it's my girlfriends...

cube-dude
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 10, 2007, 10:13 PM

Saw two today on the subway, one coming and one going to work. I'm so used to seeing people holding their "old" iPods vertically, that those (touch-ers) who hold them horizontally really stand out in a crowd. Weird, but cool weird.

MP 2 x 2.8 and etc.

wilsonng
Senior User
Oct 11, 2007, 01:59 AM

that's funny.... i saw a teenager at the shopping mall the other night holding his iPod touch horizontally as well...

I thought he was just trying to be a brat and showing off his new toy that Mommy bought for him...

I don't think I'd be advertising an iPod touch like that. I'm not interested in showing everyone that I have an iPod touch and asking for a mugging. Of course we gotta get some decent cases for it so that we can hide it in our pockets.

I thought that was pretty risky for the kid to be walking around with his iPod touch in plain view - holding it horizontally to tell the world that "he's got an iPod touch and I dare ya to kick my @$$ to get it!"
You can bend my ear. We can talk all day. Just make sure I'm around
When you've finally got something to say. -- TOAD THE WET SPROCKET

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Oct 11, 2007, 05:35 AM

Martial Arts schools should cross-promote: "10% discount on Kung Fu lessons for iPod Touch owners"

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Oct 11, 2007, 09:23 AM

I don't know what it's like it Guam, but in Portland, or Salt Lake (the two places I've lived for any extended period of time), I've never worried about being mugged, or beaten up because I've had an iPod. Granted, neither are Detroit, but is it really that much of a problem?
2008 iMac 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Memory, GeForce 8800, 500GB HD, SuperDrive
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

wilsonng
Senior User
Oct 11, 2007, 10:06 AM

I like the island life out here in Guam... Everything is nice and easy.... Slow pace of life.... Warm weather... Sandy beaches.... Margaritas on the beach.... Not much of a problem here.... But ice/crack is always prevalent in any society.

When I go to Hong Kong and China, I go to the city and always have to watch out.... City folks..... Never know.... I carry a crappy cellphone and always hide my portable player. I also ditched the telltale white iPod earphones. I also wear a crappy watch just to throw off the punks.

It's like going out in a lightning storm - I wouldn't necessarily consider flying a kite in the middle of a lightning storm a good thing to do for your health.

There's always one rotten apple to spoil the whole bunch. Punks can strike anywhere. They're opportunists looking out for anyone who is distracted by their music or movie.

threestain
Mac Elite
Oct 17, 2007, 05:41 AM

is there any patch thus far that allows calendar editing on the fly?

phobos
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 17, 2007, 07:03 AM

yes there is. You have to jailbreak it though. If you don't want to do that you could wait for a possible fix from apple

wilsonng
Senior User
Oct 17, 2007, 08:14 AM

Can't remember which Apple site had an unconfirmed report. An anonymous Apple employee commented that there was some kind of bug with the calendar program in the iPod touch. They supposedly didn't have time to fix it in time for the iPod touch release date. So they just disabled it.

Or maybe Apple realized that disasbling calendar entry was a huge FUBAR mistake and tried to cover their tracks by saying it was a "bug" and that it would get fixed in a future firmware update.

Apparently you can jailbreak it, change a couple of command lines and it allows calendar editing.... Not sure what the supposed bug is.

ApeInTheShell
Senior User
Oct 17, 2007, 01:50 PM

Sometimes I wonder if Mac users are a
bunch of 12 year olds. You claim to know all
about technology and yet 16 GB of NAND flash
memory is small. This is not a hard-drive based
model. I wrote this on my iPod touch that I purchased
Sunday afternoon. People own iPod nanos and 8 GB is more
than enough space. Get an iPod classic and contribute something
positive for once.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 17, 2007, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by ApeInTheShell View Post
Sometimes I wonder if Mac users are a
bunch of 12 year olds. You claim to know all
about technology and yet 16 GB of NAND flash
memory is small. This is not a hard-drive based
model.
Yeah, and that's what a lot of people are disappointed about. We realize that you're not going to get huge capacities with flash, but they could have made a hard disk-based model.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 17, 2007, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by icruise View Post
... but they could have made a hard disk-based model.
But could they really? My educated guess: they could, but it would suck.

Palm released a drive-based model called LifeDrive a few years back. The main problem: waiting for the disk to spin up. There was a noticeable lag in the user interface because of this. I imagine that a drive-based iTouch or iPhone would be even worse.

I don't think we'll ever see a drive-based iPhone/iPod touch.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 17, 2007, 04:11 PM

I have a hard-disk based PDA (the Japanese Zaurus) and while it has its share of problems, it solved the issue of waiting for the hard disk to spin up by putting the OS in flash, so I don't see why Apple couldn't do something similar. And the hard-disk based iPods don't have any particular trouble with UI lag, do they? Admittedly, their OS is much simpler, but I think it's silly to suggest that Apple was incapable of coming up with a widescreen hard disk-based iPod.

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Oct 17, 2007, 04:27 PM

I don't think we'll ever see an HD based iPod/iPhone. At best we'll get some sort of attachment (not likely IMO).
As memory technology continues to evolve, Hard Drives are going to be less and less desirable. Their only benefit as near as I can tell is sheer capacity. Two things bring solution to that: Compression, which keeps getting better and better. And miniaturization of components, which also continues to improve with time and research.
Flash memory consumes less power than a hard disk (which can go on to serve the screen), takes up less room, and has no moving parts which leads to lower-likelyhood of failure.

Overall, I think flash memory is the superior solution. Good media management can keep the stuff you want on your iPod, and the stuff you never use from being in your way. I wish that they had included a couple of MicroSD slots, but oh well. I suspect that when the decision came up, Apple looked at a couple of things (in no order):
1) Better Battery life
2) Size
3) Lower repair
4) better after-market control

What I mean by #4 is that, a lot of people, and a lot of places repair iPods. I would suspect the number one thing to fail in an iPod is the hard drive. In the touch though, the Memory is soldered on. Only the most daring would even consider trying to replace that. So when an iPod touch dies it goes back to Apple, who gets a sale on a replacement.
2008 iMac 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Memory, GeForce 8800, 500GB HD, SuperDrive
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

Ikon
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 19, 2007, 09:03 AM

I'm waiting for the delivery of my iPod Touch.

TNT made a huge mistake and sent my iPod almost 1000 km in the wrong direction.
Most likely I won't receive it before the weekend. :-(

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 21, 2007, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by icruise View Post
And the hard-disk based iPods don't have any particular trouble with UI lag, do they? Admittedly, their OS is much, much, much, much, much, much simpler...
Fixed.

Forum Links
Forum Rules